• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta to have GDC keynote today (and expected Quest 3 reveal) about Quest VR games and future tech at 2pm PT/4pm CT/5pm ET

The ongoing success of Meta's Quest VR headset has proven that there is a strong market for VR games. As the technology continues to improve, the length, depth, fidelity, and customer expectations of VR software are all on the rise. But even as the VR games market matures, these devices are also unlocking opportunities for new game formats, such as Mixed Reality. This talk, presented by game industry veteran and Meta 3rd party games director Chris Pruett, will cover the state of the VR game industry on Meta's Quest platform, including both business milestones and a peek into the future of VR technology.

Many insiders are expecting to get sales numbers for gaming software which the company has been elusive on for some time, as well as adoption rates, and the reveal of the Quest 3 with a release date and an overview on it's specs.

Some games are also expected to be announced. The GDC keynote will run for 1 hour give or take.

Tomorrow there will also be another keynote and new demos on the floor from developers where people can try out upcoming games, so even more game reveals will happen then.

334128299_463862445866372_1325875823532828506_n.png

This should be interesting !

Will there be a stream?

Maybe?

Not sure how that works if GDC will do that, or Meta will do it when it happens, or if we have to wait for the VOD.

They have a useless conference before this one so that will give us an idea if there will be a stream for this one.

DaGwaphics

Is it even technically possible? I’d assume it is but don’t actually know

It wouldn't be a true VR experience as in you are walking around the venue, but they could certainly stream a 360 3D Video. Basically seat you in the audience.

I'm surprised they haven't worked to get that kind of thing going with concerts for popular acts, etc. Could be a good selling point for a media first headset.

I'm surprised they haven't worked to get that kind of thing going with concerts for popular acts, etc.

They have been doing this for awhile now. Even NBA recently signed up. Just needs the right rocket to make it popular in the mainstream.

Last edited:
Unrelated but still GDC,

If you look at the bottom of the pic, apparently every square on the board is related to white supremacist culture.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It wouldn't be a true VR experience as in you are walking around the venue, but they could certainly stream a 360 3D Video. Basically seat you in the audience.

I'm surprised they haven't worked to get that kind of thing going with concerts for popular acts, etc. Could be a good selling point for a media first headset.
They have been doing it for ages, no-one seems interested they always have pathetic numbers of people signed up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For the responses from a week ago above about promoting VR with sports and concerts etc... VR seating for events have been around for years. But only in special cases. NBA has some kind of VR sub plan with different VR cams. Problem is the VR schedule only showed one game per night. So chances are it wont even be for the team you care about. And if you read comments about it, most people say the quality is crap. It's definitely no super smooth 4k feed.

So little non-gaming applications either the events don't care about wasting time doing it, VR fans dont care, or both. Where VR will be pigeon holed as 99% gaming and nothing else. Well, if thats how its going to be then you'll never get any solid commitment for anything non-gaming. And non-gamers will then never care about it. I watch my share f basketball games on TV. I have never seen them promote NBA VR ever. I had to google VR stuff to actually see they had an NBA VR plan.

VR gaming wont fly for everyone. But "VR other stuff" might be worth it.

I said it before in other threads that if the NHL had VR seating where I can pick and choose Leaf games, I might do it for $10 for a playoff game or something. Right now, there's zero NHL VR.

The VR set would still have to be quality visuals and a lower price, but if I could pay a sub plan for dirt cheap per-game prices for hockey games (not just Leafs) or all games every night I can flip through game to game, it might be worth doing. It's bonus money for the league and teams. Think of it like all the pro sports leagues who have $100-200 annual pass sub plans. Well add in some cheap VR options. It's not like I'm going to fly to Calgary or NY to watch a Flames or Rangers game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think all they announced was there were going to publish 200 games?
I think the Oculus Publishing thing was before GDC, afaik there hasn’t been any new Meta VR news from GDC. It’s very strange tbh. But with Eddie gone there is no VR news posted here and I haven’t started looking at other boards yet so I might be wrong. It’s frustrating, I just got back into VR and was hoping for something new to not drop out again.

Barakov

Gold Member
Totally forgot gdc happened. It seems like the majority of it was....VR news? Probably the reason it flew under my radar.
Unrelated but still GDC,

If you look at the bottom of the pic, apparently every square on the board is related to white supremacist culture.

ThvqmNQ.jpg

I think the Oculus Publishing thing was before GDC, afaik there hasn’t been any new Meta VR news from GDC. It’s very strange tbh. But with Eddie gone there is no VR news posted here and I haven’t started looking at other boards yet so I might be wrong. It’s frustrating, I just got back into VR and was hoping for something new to not drop out again.

There was, he made those threads too. It was 150 games Oculus will publish, and a prototype mixed reality game for the quest 3. But no quest 3.

There might be more news since, but we probably aren't going to know now.

Oh well.

Fredrik

There was, he made those threads too. It was 150 games Oculus will publish, and a prototype mixed reality game for the quest 3. But no quest 3.

There might be more news since, but we probably aren't going to know now.

Oh well.
Missed that. Is mixed reality where they’re going with Quest 3?

Fredrik

Apparently so:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/zuck...-will-have-full-colour-mixed-reality.1651819/

it seems it will be full color. I'm guessing some current headsets are B&W?
Yeah I saw that thread but I assumed/hoped mixed was just some experimental feature. I want Skyrim VR type of games where I can lost myself in a cool virtual world. I guess going outside in the woods could be cool though in mixed reality, having a giant stomping about outside that you have to fight, would highlight the upsides of not having a cable too. But I’m not completely sold on that and I guess that’s just another thing big devs will sit on the fence waiting to get big before jumping in.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For the responses from a week ago above about promoting VR with sports and concerts etc... VR seating for events have been around for years. But only in special cases. NBA has some kind of VR sub plan with different VR cams. Problem is the VR schedule only showed one game per night. So chances are it wont even be for the team you care about. And if you read comments about it, most people say the quality is crap. It's definitely no super smooth 4k feed.

So little non-gaming applications either the events don't care about wasting time doing it, VR fans dont care, or both. Where VR will be pigeon holed as 99% gaming and nothing else. Well, if thats how its going to be then you'll never get any solid commitment for anything non-gaming. And non-gamers will then never care about it. I watch my share f basketball games on TV. I have never seen them promote NBA VR ever. I had to google VR stuff to actually see they had an NBA VR plan.

VR gaming wont fly for everyone. But "VR other stuff" might be worth it.

I said it before in other threads that if the NHL had VR seating where I can pick and choose Leaf games, I might do it for $10 for a playoff game or something. Right now, there's zero NHL VR.

The VR set would still have to be quality visuals and a lower price, but if I could pay a sub plan for dirt cheap per-game prices for hockey games (not just Leafs) or all games every night I can flip through game to game, it might be worth doing. It's bonus money for the league and teams. Think of it like all the pro sports leagues who have $100-200 annual pass sub plans. Well add in some cheap VR options. It's not like I'm going to fly to Calgary or NY to watch a Flames or Rangers game.

To be honest......VR tv watching should come in those sport leagues packages by default.

Yeah I saw that thread but I assumed/hoped mixed was just some experimental feature. I want Skyrim VR type of games where I can lost myself in a cool virtual world. I guess going outside in the woods could be cool though in mixed reality, having a giant stomping about outside that you have to fight, would highlight the upsides of not having a cable too. But I’m not completely sold on that and I guess that’s just another thing big devs will sit on the fence waiting to get big before jumping in.

If people think VR is niche for gaming, I can promise you MR gaming will be the most nichey thing of all time! You want me to go outside in the real woods to play Skyrim MR? Nah bruh.

If people think VR is niche for gaming, I can promise you MR gaming will be the most nichey thing of all time! You want me to go outside in the real woods to play Skyrim MR? Nah bruh.

Or go out in the woods to catch and battle wild Pokemon.

30M units sold guaranteed with that alone.

mckmas8808

Or go out in the woods to catch and battle wild Pokemon.

30M units sold guaranteed with that alone.

But no headset needed. The quality of what you're doing is the same as if you were in the house. MR is a different story. What if I live in the city without wide open spaces?

But no headset needed. The quality of what you're doing is the same as if you were in the house. MR is a different story. What if I live in the city without wide open spaces?

There's a difference in playing Pokemon Go with a phone and being in the Pokemon world face to face with wild Pokemon you battle and catch as if they were there. Or having them face to face in the woods.

Assuming the headset is comfortable it would sell a lot of hardware.

mckmas8808

There's a difference in playing Pokemon Go with a phone and being in the Pokemon world face to face with wild Pokemon you battle and catch as if they were there. Or having them face to face in the woods.

Assuming the headset is comfortable it would sell a lot of hardware.

I'd argue that the phone version would be the one most people would want to play.

Top Bottom