• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is there any rule that would stop MS from buying them? They ain’t a monopoly as they in third place. So are there any rules that would stop it?
No there is no rule and even if there were in 1st place it would still not be a monopoly
cause you have to have more than 50% of the gaming market for it to even be consider a monopoly
and no one is close to a monopoly yet not Tencent Not Xbox Not Nintendo & not PlayStation
so any one of them can keep buying if they want

Maybe Microsoft? Though I can't see it happening. They haven't even completed the Activision deal yet. I don't think Sony are interested in publishers, so that rules them out.

ahtlas7

Ubisoft was my fave a long time ago. What happened to you Ubi?
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

I don't think consolidation is a big issue for the industry. In the end, all the work made by a publisher can be made by other agents such as investment banks and digital media marketing agencies. The main issue (that actually matters for the consumer) is the walled garden strategy employed by companies like Apple or store-fronts near-monopolies like Steam.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It seems they are not done yet. This gen will most likely go down in history for aquisitions rather than games or hardware innovations.
I think they are looking to someone who can manage the recent acquisitions. Xbox Studios have issues managing some their own studios (343) and additional studios isn't going to help.

With the revenue M$ makes every year, they will only stop if demanded by authorities. Gaming is seen as one of the growth areas, so of course they will pick this money and use it.

Amornalx

Banned
God I hope not, I'd much prefer they pick up some Japanese developers instead of a French one that standardised the generic game for the entire industry and releases three of it every year.
I think that the most likely xbox acquisition after the activision blizzard deal is done is going to be paradox entertainment.

God I hope not, I'd much prefer they pick up some Japanese developers instead of a French one that standardised the generic game for the entire industry and releases three of it every year.
They can still do that buying Ubisoft does not stop them from buying more
if you hate ubisoft games don't play them lol

Amornalx

Banned
I think it could be stopped since Microsoft is still finishing the deal with activision Blizzard and buying any big publisher like ubisoft could mean anti trust laws.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

It's more of a "what does this bring to the Microsoft toolbox", adding Ubisoft makes them more likely to follow through with maximising GaaS and MTX on even single player titles. Where your preorder needs a chart to see what your getting.

As for "don't buy Ubisoft games", been ahead of that curve since Wildlands, never again. Even skipped Valhalla despite featuring where I live.

You buy a company not just for the IP but the company's philosophy, it's why Sony bought Bungie after announcing a focus towards GaaS.

Last edited:
I think it could be stopped since Microsoft is still finishing the deal with activision Blizzard and buying any big publisher like ubisoft could mean anti trust laws.
It won't all Microsoft have to do is slip the anti trust some money under the table 10-20 million and it will pass
you should know how all this works lol

bronk

Banned
All this talk about acquisitions just put out some decent games for once. The only thing my Series X has been good for is playing Dreamcast.

It's more of a "what does this bring to the Microsoft toolbox", adding Ubisoft makes them more likely to follow through with maximising GaaS and MTX on even single player titles. Where your preorder needs a chart to see what your getting.

As for "don't buy Ubisoft games", been ahead of that curve since Wildlands, never again. Even skipped Valhalla despite featuring where I live.
dude like i said just ignore ubisoft games then cause it like sony buying bungie when most of their fans don't like bungie it a business decision

Amornalx

Banned
All this talk about acquisitions just put out some decent games for once. The only thing my Series X has been good for is playing Dreamcast.
I think you're going to be waiting forever, since i think that Xbox will make most of his games live service games.

Kssio_Aug

What I like about it, is that supposedly everything will be added to one subscription service (Game Pass) that is actually quite good.
And I don't care too much to who buys what, as I don't believe the competition is going to just die because of that, specially in a time where videogames make tons of money... I see these acquisitions just as a transition to a new "stage" of the gaming market, and that the competition will adapt to whatever comes next.

At this point I'm fine with MS buying any western publisher to be honest, they all seem to be in pretty bad shape and focused on the wrong things. I won't be buying their games anyway save for a few exceptions like R* games (assuming they are as good as they used to be).

Bioware, Blizzard, Maxis, etc, it seems like anything these western publishers touch turn to complete shit.

They might as well make them all F2P or put them on gamepass, saves me money if they ever happen to put out something worth playing. What could MS do to Madden or Assassin's Creed that would make them any worse? I can't help but to be curious about how far the "Netflix" of gaming strategy can go and what happens if it doesn't work.

At this point most of what I look forward to playing comes from Japanese publishers, as long as MS don't mess with them there's very little risk for me. Phil Fish was completely wrong after all.

Last edited:

yurinka

Early acquisition talks are said to be underway

EDIT: So I messed up the voting options :D (I had ONE JOB!)
click YES if positive
and No for Negative
I think this is only another Kotaku article throwing shit to Ubisoft and that tthey never have been in sale.

Big companies interested on buying it? Sure.
Do the Guillemot family and the workers want to sell it? Nope.
Is Ubisoft in some kind of bad position, in financial trouble or do they need to sell? No
Do they politely hear offers that companies make them even if don't want to sell? Yes
Is their stock struggling? No, numbers went back to normal after the covid bump and some big games were delayed to don't rush or crunch too much, meaning they had a weak year due to lack of big releases but the next one will be bigger.
Did the controversies negative affect their stocks? Yes
Did that cause any big issue for the company? No
Did they took actions to investigate, punish, solve and prevent the stuff that caused the controversies? Yes
Did related firings and changes damaged the company or caused them a big trouble? No
Will stocks go up again once they release the big games planned for the next couple of years or so (next AC, Avatar, Mario & Rabbids 2, BGE2, The Division, Star Wars, Skull & Bones etc)? Yes

I don't think MS can have more acquisitions
they are already being scrutinised for Activision
They can. They are far from having any gaming related monopoly and from having a big market share. In the overal gaming market and in each specific gaming area.

This means they won't have any issue with regulators unless someone goes full retard with some politics stuff. MS will continue with acquisitions but before they have to do the paperwork and pass the required approvals for the current one.

After it they'll continue acquiring: they want to do it and have the money. They only need to find good candidates willing to sell to them, which isn't easy.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I don't think it will be anyone big.
They are worried to get ABK through regulator. There is no chance they will purchase another publisher anytime soon.
But smaller devs? That would not be a problem

IO Interactive? Avalanche? CD and Eidos Montreal if Square is willing to sell them?

Wohc

Banned
All they can do now until Activision/blizzard closes is small buys for studios.

So I don’t expect anything large from Xbox fir a while.
Before the Activison deal is closed? No, i don't expect anything either. But that doesn't mean they are already not working on other stuff. It's not like buying a car, this takes many months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom