• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - Anniversary Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

page forums GIF

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Step Inside and Be Your Own Weapon of War!

The iconic MechWarrior series returns to the Xbox platform with cross-play! Become a weapon of war with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries and Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC and snag a special Kobold Hero Mech exclusive for Microsoft PC and Xbox platforms!

Havoc2049

Cool. I'll give this a go on the Series X.

If anyone is wondering, I checked around and this currently doesn't support Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas One stick for the Xbox, but they are looking into it.

KAOS

I'm reliving my Chrome Hounds days with MechWarrior 5! It's not a great looking game and I wish it had steady 60fps boost. But once you get over that and the sim aspect of it. The game is freaking fun!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get another look at mechs, combat, and more in this latest trailer for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries ahead of its appearance at the PC Gaming Show on June 13, 2021.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is available now on Xbox, Steam, and GOG with full cross-play enabled.

Last edited:

Romulus

Oh hell yes

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone actually stuck with this game more than a little bit (on PC mostly)?

I thought I'd give it another chance, respawns be damned, and finally managed to map my flight stick + kb combo similar to how I have it in MW4: Mercenaries (blissful setup!) but it still doesn't feel nearly as good for some reason, I'm struggling to aim as stable and precisely or even strafe around enemies effectively. I think it doesn't instantly stop turret pitch/yaw movement in a given direction but has a slowdown lag? It might not be the case and something else is throwing me off though, I'll have to try again ( but I'm really not gonna bother if full on mkb FPS mode is the only way it works well). I guess it might also be partly due to the new graphics/map detail having less simple and open terrain, these first battles feel a bit cramped between the base and mountains/cliffs you can't just walk up changing the elevation abruptly in place of the smoother simpler heightmaps of old.

Also I'm not sure about Arm Lock. Is it that the arms move pitch/yaw faster than torso so if you disable it you can aim and shoot faster in all directions while the turret plays catch up? While if you do arm lock then the arms are limited and aligned to torso speed (but then also match torso facing weapon crosshair since not all are on the arms)? Something like that? Are there other totally free floating cursor weapons where you'd be at huge disadvantage if using arm lock (and flight stick) instead of aiming all over the place easily and precisely with just the mouse?

Also I can apparently map any key combinations for functions, so I can have W for throttle up, S for down and then Shift + W for throttle max and Shift + S for throttle zero etc. but apparently I can't map button combos on the stick as well? I wanted to make the trigger like a "Shift" key so I could then do 6 weapon groups on 3 stick buttons (4 with the trigger). I can't do shift or other key + joystick button either (it's really geared toward only using one device, either mkb or gamepad or stick/hotas, though input from all still works). Maybe it's better to redo all weapon groups in the lab to give me a max of 4 groups, It's not like it's common to wanna use some puny weapon on its own instead of coupled with at least one more, right? Or maybe just set the left arm on one button, the right arm on another, shoulders/torso on a third, and all together on the last? Or separate by type.

Also I guess there's no coolant resource this time, you just gotta watch and wait out your heat the whole time? I didn't see a mapping for it. Also not sure if there's a "target closest enemy" between labelling them as next/previous and plain target enemy or target friendly.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

I thought I'd give it another chance, respawns be damned, and finally managed to map my flight stick + kb combo similar to how I have it in MW4: Mercenaries (blissful setup!) but it still doesn't feel nearly as good for some reason, I'm struggling to aim as stable and precisely or even strafe around enemies effectively. I think it doesn't instantly stop turret pitch/yaw movement in a given direction but has a slowdown lag? It might not be the case and something else is throwing me off though, I'll have to try again ( but I'm really not gonna bother if full on mkb FPS mode is the only way it works well). I guess it might also be partly due to the new graphics/map detail having less simple and open terrain, these first battles feel a bit cramped between the base and mountains/cliffs you can't just walk up changing the elevation abruptly in place of the smoother simpler heightmaps of old.

Also I'm not sure about Arm Lock. Is it that the arms move pitch/yaw faster than torso so if you disable it you can aim and shoot faster in all directions while the turret plays catch up? While if you do arm lock then the arms are limited and aligned to torso speed (but then also match torso facing weapon crosshair since not all are on the arms)? Something like that? Are there other totally free floating cursor weapons where you'd be at huge disadvantage if using arm lock (and flight stick) instead of aiming all over the place easily and precisely with just the mouse?

Also I can apparently map any key combinations for functions, so I can have W for throttle up, S for down and then Shift + W for throttle max and Shift + S for throttle zero etc. but apparently I can't map button combos on the stick as well? I wanted to make the trigger like a "Shift" key so I could then do 6 weapon groups on 3 stick buttons (4 with the trigger). I can't do shift or other key + joystick button either (it's really geared toward only using one device, either mkb or gamepad or stick/hotas, though input from all still works). Maybe it's better to redo all weapon groups in the lab to give me a max of 4 groups, It's not like it's common to wanna use some puny weapon on its own instead of coupled with at least one more, right? Or maybe just set the left arm on one button, the right arm on another, shoulders/torso on a third, and all together on the last? Or separate by type.

Also I guess there's no coolant resource this time, you just gotta watch and wait out your heat the whole time? I didn't see a mapping for it. Also not sure if there's a "target closest enemy" between labelling them as next/previous and plain target enemy or target friendly.

Joystick is the worst possible way to play Mechwarrior, zero accuracy at anything.
Just give up and use kb+m.

Alexios

Joystick is the worst possible way to play Mechwarrior
Are you talking about 5 or in general like you wrote this? If the latter you couldn't be more wrong (again, MW4 is pure bliss with such a setup, 2 was great also with a sidewinder back then & though 3 favors mkb with all its free aimed weapons it also handles the simulation/mech feel nicer than 5).

Considering 5 is also a console game/playable on gamepads it's probably more than doable on a stick, but as I said it doesn't feel right, that's my primary problem over efficiency to be honest, MW4 is fun with a stick, MW5 doesn't feel so. What would you say is their difference if not what I wrote?

Edit: oh, a MWO player, preach space/flight combat sucks on sticks if you play War Thunder or Freelancer too, lol. Move on, my post was clear and you say nothing relevant. I enjoy MechWarrior mech gameplay, if I want just pew pew point & click FPS/TPSing there are better than MW5/O still 🤷‍♂️

I already said this in my first post, why circle jerk, I already said I did set it up in MW5 and it does seem like it's tuned to mkb but wanted to make sure options were exhausted. If you just wanna spread bs why pretend you reply, go post about how awesome the game is for you without quoting me.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Are you talking about 5 or in general like you wrote this? If the latter you couldn't be more wrong (again, MW4 is pure bliss with such a setup, 2 was great also with a sidewinder back then, though 3 favors mkb with all the free aimed weapons it also handles the simulation/mech feel nicer than 5).
Lol it might have felt good but trust me you had zero accuracy.
Go set up MW5 for joystick or go play some MWonline and you'll get smoked hard by ai in MW5 and by people even harder in mwo.
With a joystick you can't even accurately hold a laser on target over the length of time as a full burst.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Lol it might have felt good but trust me you had zero accuracy.
Go set up MW5 for joystick or go play some MWonline and you'll get smoked hard by ai in MW5 and by people even harder in mwo.
With a joystick you can't even accurately hold a laser on target over the length of time as a full burst.
I gotta agree, it feels great to use a stick with rudder twist and a real throttle control, but the aiming is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse. You have to choose between good sim feels or having an edge in combat with the same input device you use to navigate a web browser. Some VR games add an interesting wrinkle like head tracking or gesture controlled aiming that still feels immersive, this combined with a stick would be totally righteous.

DCDW

I do believe there is slow down lag while twisting the mech to give it a sense of weight. I know in MWO (MechWarrior Online) that there was a time that they based all the mechs agility on the engine that was equipped in the mech, I imagine the dev has kept that same sort of theme with MW5.

As for aiming, it's as you describe, the only weapon that has a bit of an advantage with no arm lock is LRMs (or lock on weapons in general) since regardless of where the weapon is equipped, the lock on will happen the moment your arm reticule is over the targetted mech.

Not sure about using shift + attack key, I'm guessing that's something they don't use.

There are some really solid mods for MW5 that change up the game completely from a user experience perspective. Nexusmods.com is where I get my mods for MW5 and it's where the mod makers frequently upload their updated mods. The top 5/6 IMO are:

-"Yet another Mechlab" which opens up the mech customization and adds advanced tech from further in the timeline (Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous, Various armor types, XL Engines, Light Engines, lets you change engine size, etc).
-"Yet another Weapon" mod which adds advanced weapon tech (Light/Heavy Gauss Rifles, Ultra AutoCannons, LBX 2/5/20s, Streak 4/6, Long Tom/Sniper Artilery, etc). Note: There's also a different mod called "Yet Another Weapon Clan" That will add Clan tech as well"
-"TT Rulez AI mod" changes the AI for both your lancemates and your enemies so they fight much more effectively with their weapon loadouts (no more sitting in close range with LRMs)
-"Better Spawns" mod removes respawning enemies. It's just enemies on the map at the start and then dropships will drop off reinforcements to continue their fight against you. I highly recommend this one.
-"Coyotes Mission Pack" Adds new mission types to the game. New mission types include: Attack and Defend, Patrol, Recon, Duels, Rescue, and Battleground.
-"MW5 Mod Compatibility Pack" will merge all the above mentioned mods together so they work together without breaking each other.

Here's a vid of someone showcasing some of the mods mentioned above

Alexios

I do believe there is slow down lag while twisting the mech to give it a sense of weight. I know in MWO (MechWarrior Online) that there was a time that they based all the mechs agility on the engine that was equipped in the mech, I imagine the dev has kept that same sort of theme with MW5.

As for aiming, it's as you describe, the only weapon that has a bit of an advantage with no arm lock is LRMs (or lock on weapons in general) since regardless of where the weapon is equipped, the lock on will happen the moment your arm reticule is over the targetted mech.
Too bad, obviously mech performance should affect how fast/responsively the turret turns/pitches (hence why in other games that go for a more simy feel the mouse wasn't better than any other device, agility was really affected by the machine capabilities rather than enable the full mouse sensitivity and what not, I guess the faster action here makes the two align more closely even if not 1:1) but I'd think stopping the turret could be near instant regardless since it's not some zero gravity space movement that needs an equal counter force, you cut the turning force itself. Oh well.

Respawns and missions and all those mods sound good, cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom