• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior 5 is coming to PS4 and PS5 later this month

Bullet Club

MechWarrior 5 is coming to PS4 and PS5 later this month​

The series is returning to PlayStation for the first time in nearly 25 years

2Osp430.jpg

BattleTech has announced that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be coming to PS4 and PS5 later this month.

The Piranha Games developed sequel, which was released on PC in 2019 and Xbox earlier this year, is coming to Sony‘s consoles on September 23, along with its Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC.

This marks the first time the MechWarrior series has been available on a PlayStation console since MechWarrior 2 was released on the original PlayStation back in 1997.

The announcement was made on the official PlayStation Blog, in a post written by Piranha’s senior community manager Daeron Katz.

“The dev team at Piranha Games is already super excited about how MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is shaping up for its PlayStation debut,” Katz said.

“The base game benefits from over a year’s worth of additional development work and comes stacked with tons of gameplay, systems, and quality of life improvements – many of which are based directly on fan feedback.”

The PlayStation 5 version of the game will support adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback via the DualSense controller.

It will also include a number of new gameplay features, including the ability to switch between any of their AI Lance BattleMechs during a mission.

“For the initial release, manual control was limited to the player’s main BattleMech,” Katz explained. “This seemingly small update makes a huge impact, allowing players to instantly bounce between all their friendly BattleMechs, with full control over movements and attacks, at any time.”

MechWarrior 5 was originally released in 2019, where it was an Epic Store exclusive. The game was eventually released on Steam in May 2021, alongside Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One versions.

The Xbox and PC versions are currently available on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Source: VGC

Zuzu

I hope they bring the mech switching feature to the PC and Xbox versions. That's an important gameplay modification.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Anyone play this regularly? How is it?

As a series veteran from Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries all the way up to Mechwarrior 5, I can honestly say its not that bad...

Just kidding its really fricken bad, essentially just Mechwarrior online with terrible AI and a way to turn something fun (like running a damn system jumping mercenary company with mechs) into feeling like a chore. God I remember when I thought Mechwarrior 4 was lacking something, now I wish we had that shit back... hell I'd take Mech Assualt over this.

Sorry PlayStation users if you where looking forward to this one, it pleases no one.

Last edited:

Romulus

As a series veteran from Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries all the way up to Mechwarrior 5, I can honestly say its not that bad...

Just kidding its really fricken bad, essentially just Mechwarrior online with terrible AI and a way to turn something fun (like running a damn system jumping mercenary company with mechs) into feeling like a chore. God I remember when I thought Mechwarrior 4 was lacking something, now I wish we had that shit back... hell I'd take Mech Assualt over this.

Sorry PlayStation users if you where looking forward to this one, it pleases no one.

Yeah doesn't look like the game got much attention from playstation users to begin with. The announcement thread had like 3 posts lol

I was reading the recent patch/DLC remedies alot of issues but created other problems.

Romulus

I watched a few recent reviews with all the newest patches and DLC. Bought it super cheap and I'm enjoying it immensely. Supposedly the patch last wk fixed the glaring issues.

Theres alot to unpack in terms of management. I'm playing career and its basically a galaxy map in which you're jostling for control of different regions.
I had an assassination mission last night in which this gigantic mech needed to be taken out vs 4 of my mechs. It was doing considerable damage against my lance(squad) until I noticed a teammate had made it behind him. I switched to that mech and just began targeting his limps. I keep switching mechs and repositioning to his rear because it took him so long to turn around. It was intense and fun, but likely there was an even better strategy.
Pretty rewarding, and management of damaged mechs repair times etc is pretty interesting.

Visually, it's great. The destruction is some of the best I've seen in any game. It runs well on ps5, always 60fps at probably 1800p if I had to guess. I really like each environment too even though its essentially a giant arena, but its cleverly varied.

The AI is better than I expected, theres definitely hiccups but its engaging. There was supposedly a patch earlier this year that fixed most of the issues.

The controls definitely take some getting used to with the lower body turning independently from the top, but I know that's not uncommon for the series.

Gonna try coop and MP this week but haven't touch online. Overall its good mech stomping fun if you can commit to the management side, I would not say total simulation but definitely more in that direction.
With all the DLC and patches its absolutely worth it.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Franchise in downhill since MW2... Earthsiege maybe?
MW3 was the highlight for me. I absolutely loved the mission briefings, real deal full mission briefings with intelligence reports and fully voiced. I’d take MW3 over just about anything, though that one crysis mod looked interesting.

Skifi28

I watched a few recent reviews with all the newest patches and DLC. Bought it super cheap and I'm enjoying it immensely. Supposedly the patch last wk fixed the glaring issues.
That's great if true. I've wanted to buy it ever since release, but everywhere I looked people said to avoid the ps5 version due to framerate issues.

SpokkX

It seems a good idea with rabdomized unlimited missions.. action is actually kind of cool at first but it gets really repetative and predictable after a few hours.. also the strategy element seem really underdevelop

oh and the ”story” is quite bad

overall i would say ”fine” or ”ok”.. very middling

Fare thee well

Neophyte
900+ hours on steam (maybe because I play co-op and mod?), but I've been with the series since MW2. Sure it's not the best a mechwarrior game could be, but some of you are floating on negative rumors that are 2 years old now.

Also who the fuck plays battletech for story? Lol. It's big smashy robots. That complaint...

Last edited:

Romulus

900+ hours on steam (maybe because I play co-op and mod?), but I've been with the series since MW2. Sure it's not the best a mechwarrior game could be, but some of you are floating on negative rumors that are 2 years old now.

Also who the fuck plays battletech for story? Lol. It's big smashy robots. That complaint...

Yeah, that's what I sort of gathered, most everyone is still talking about the negatives like the game is still at launch status. It seems it wasn't terrible before by any means, but now it feels like a solid game at this point, especially being completely new to it. I heard the DLC adds a lot of variety to missions as well.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This thread confused the hell out of me. I played this damn game in 1996 or so. I’m wondering why is it just now coming to consoles. Then I realized they are just reusing the name. For fuck’s sake, CHOOSE A NAME THAT YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY USED.

MechWarrior_2_Merc_cover.jpg
Dude, what? It's a series, as the 2, and not 5, in your image shows... There was also MechWarrior, MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear, MechWarrior 3, MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (the goat), etc., how are you oblivious to this concept?

Last edited:
Top Bottom