• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maybelline New York Launches Campaign Targeting Sexism in Online Games with new video experiment

ZehDon

Gold Member
OIP.8EX8Rgu3ehoHxH0w-QayDgHaDA

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Would love them to jump in a time machine and experience XBL 04-08. I think some of these people would literally have a panic attack in pregame.
Yeah it feels like it’s been going on for ages. Ever since my high school days with Xbox Live. The industry had to become a multi billion dollar industry before anyone noticed. The tech industry had to grow too. YouTube was just starting out, so companies didn’t have this large internet presence beyond their webpage.

I feel like I’ve been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I don’t do anything that uses a mic with video games. I use to see people with the word “rape” in their gamer tag.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
https://gamerant.com/maybelline-new-york-through-their-eyes-campaign-sexism-online-games/

Campaign experiment video,

Maybelline make-up and beauty has worked with a studio to create a campaign video to show gamers how women-identifying gamers are harassed online. To target sexist behavior in gaming they say.

Now, I don't condone bullying or anything and I think harassment can be bad as anyone else, but I'm a little bit skeptical on how accurate the video portrays online gaming. I feel like they may not have actually did the experiment the way they say they did, nor would in either case this be enough to generalize. Having people drop out ending a game on a major title with loads of players, also raises the eye brow a bit.

"Go back to the sink"?

Thanks now I will try extra hard to be toxic towards women online to counter this movement.

I will start with my girlfriend. Next time she loads up CS or Hogwarts I will tell her she's shit and makes for a terrible wizard as well. Fuckin heretical cunt!

Last edited:
https://gamerant.com/maybelline-new-york-through-their-eyes-campaign-sexism-online-games/

Campaign experiment video,

Maybelline make-up and beauty has worked with a studio to create a campaign video to show gamers how women-identifying gamers are harassed online. To target sexist behavior in gaming they say.

Now, I don't condone bullying or anything and I think harassment can be bad as anyone else, but I'm a little bit skeptical on how accurate the video portrays online gaming. I feel like they may not have actually did the experiment the way they say they did, nor would in either case this be enough to generalize. Having people drop out ending a game on a major title with loads of players, also raises the eye brow a bit.

"Go back to the sink"?

No shit sherlock. Who needed such a campaign to realize that issue?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You go get them sexiest 12 year olds with your 20 something actors!

Last edited:
Anyone can be harrassed online but let's not pretend it's all the same cause it's not. I've never been insulted for being a guy yet have routinely seen woman getting shit just for that fact. It's straight up disgusting behavior that shouldn't be tolerated by anyone.

Fbh

Shitty campaigned designed for people who have never played anything with open voice chat
They could have at least focused on how women tend to get more sexist abuse while men just get random insults in general. But this whole thing about pretending that only women get abuse online is really disingenuous

JackSparr0w

Banned
Anyone can be harrassed online but let's not pretend it's all the same cause it's not. I've never been insulted for being a guy yet have routinely seen woman getting shit just for that fact. It's straight up disgusting behavior that shouldn't be tolerated by anyone.
Really? You've never been called a virgin living at your mom's basement? You've never been called a pussy? Insults that target someone's manhood are the most popular.

Men face far more abuse and harassment including abuse and slander from the mainstream media. We just get on with it.

Stop simping.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I just play Smash Bros. Online and worst can happen is that your opponent taunt at you... and this is tens time worst than any insult they can scream at your ear.

Really? You've never been called a virgin living at your mom's basement? You've never been called a pussy? Insults that target someone's manhood are the most popular.

Men face far more abuse and harassment including abuse and slander from the mainstream media. We just get on with it.

Stop simping.
Oh come on, everyone gets insulted, I've already said as much. Some of the stuff you're saying is just general insults thrown out at everyone, it has nothing to do with targeting someone's manhood ffs.

Women get constant shit for having the audacity for just playing, for being presumed to be an awful player because of gender, for constant sexual harrasment, stalking, etc. It's a huge problem when people are afraid to even speak because of how they'll be treated.

"Bu...bu...but I get insulted too" doesn't make your harrasment on an equal level or fucking acceptable to them. The whole point isn't just the toxic behavior online brings but the extra layer of shit that certain groups get on top of that. It's not acceptable to anyone nor is it a zero sum game some seems to feel.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Oh come on, everyone gets insulted, I've already said as much. Some of the stuff you're saying is just general insults thrown out at everyone, it has nothing to do with targeting someone's manhood ffs.

Women get constant shit for having the audacity for just playing, for being presumed to be an awful player because of gender, for constant sexual harrasment, stalking, etc. It's a huge problem when people are afraid to even speak because of how they'll be treated.

"Bu...bu...but I get insulted too" doesn't make your harrasment on an equal level or fucking acceptable to them. The whole point isn't just the toxic behavior online brings but the extra layer of shit that certain groups get on top of that. It's not acceptable to anyone nor is it a zero sum game some seems to feel.
Yeah yeah sure telling a man how they are a pussy or how they got a small dick which one of the most common insults online is not targetting his manhood :pie_eyeroll:

You got triggered when you realised how normalised insulting men is which makes your take extremely dumb.

Every gaming community I've ever been in has special rules to protect "gurl gamerz" and an army of simps like yourself pampering them and ready to jump to their defence.

The fact is women enjoy protected status and privileges everywhere including online and the last thing they need is trash campaigns like this maybelline one to further boost their ego and perpetual victimhood status.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah yeah sure telling a man how they are a pussy or how they got a small dick which one of the most common insults online is not targetting his manhood :pie_eyeroll:

You got triggered when you realised how normalised insulting men is which makes your take extremely dumb.

Every gaming community I've ever been in has special rules to protect "gurl gamerz" and an army of simps like yourself pampering them and ready to jump to their defence.

The fact is women enjoy protective status and privileges everywhere including online and the last thing they need is trash campaigns like this maybelline one.
I will add this as it goes back to early World of Warcraft days and even today when my wife and I play online games together she gets way more harassment than I do when we use voice

Just the fact of when guys hear a females voice its like its the first womans voice they have ever heard outside of their moms

And not talking about the preteens I am talking full grown men

And yes I have heard it all but I can play Hell Let Loose often and for the most part the people in that community are pretty talkative and helpful but anytime my wife plays and her voice goes out over proximity chat so many guys are drawn to it like a moth to a light and are almost always rude

The fact is women enjoy protective status and privileges everywhere including online and the last thing they need is trash campaigns like this maybelline one.
Why doesn't it surprise me that the insult against men by demeaning women flies right over your head?

The only one triggered here is you with your clearly delusional take on women. Anyone, ANYONE, who has participated in any online interaction is laughing at the thought of that of you being treated worse as a dude gamer. It's nonsense that has no bearing in reality at all.

JackSparr0w

Banned
I will add this as it goes back to early World of Warcraft days and even today when my wife and I play online games together she gets way more harassment than I do when we use voice

Just the fact of when guys hear a females voice its like its the first womans voice they have ever heard outside of their moms

And not talking about the preteens I am talking full grown men

And yes I have heard it all but I can play Hell Let Loose often and for the most part the people in that community are pretty talkative and helpful but anytime my wife plays and her voice goes out over proximity chat so many guys are drawn to it like a moth to a light and are almost always rude
I agree with you women get way more attention online and the reasons behind it are very complex.

Especially when you talk about early World of Warcraft days when gaming was far less mainstream.

Did you ever stop and think that your wife was invading these nerdy guys' safespaces and they didn't know how to react to that? Hostility was a natural response.

I can guarantee you if a straight guy tried to invade a girls hobby he would get called a creep and get all sorts of abuse and because he is a guy no one would come at his defence.

Like I said things are way more complex than the "much misogyny" articles you get on mainstream media.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I agree with you women get way more attention online and the reasons behind it are very complex.

Especially when you talk about early World of Warcraft days when gaming was far less mainstream.

Did you ever stop and think that your wife was invading these nerdy guys safespace and they didn't know how to react to that? Hostility was a natural response.

Like I said thing are way more complex than the "much misogyny" articles you get on mainstream media.
Honestly for the most part its not so much hostility my wife gets its more like men in a bar trying to hit on the only woman left after 2:00 AM

Oh and I didn't click on the original post so not sure where they were taking it

Fake

If someone feels offended there is your incentive to touch the grass.

BTW I love those experiments that disable the comments.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Comments and dislike disabled. Fake game and fake gamers. Dude goes: "i never had people leave in online matches with me". Literally every human on this planet has experienced that. What the fuck is this trash? Stop making topics about these fucking idiots.

Fahdis

Thanks now I will try extra hard to be toxic towards women online to counter this movement.

I will start with my girlfriend. Next time she loads up CS or Hogwarts I will tell her she's shit and makes for a terrible wizard as well. Fuckin heretical cunt!

Your hentai cuddle cushion does not count as a girlfriend you freaking weirdo!

A few things to note here. Pretty sure the Asian chick is trans. So the video already gives me second hand.

Second, what the fuck do they expect people to act like? Online games have been like this for 20+ years at this point and they'll never change. And like others have said people online don't just make fun of women.

You can very easily get bullied on popular multiplayer games such as CoD simply for speaking, you don't even have to be hostile. I'm 27 years old and still get comments from people about my voice because it's higher pitched than some people my age. I don't cry about it though.

I grew up playing MW2 which was the most offensive voice chat environment that has ever existed. I'm unfazed by this sort of thing because of it. You either learn how to shit talk back or hit the mute button, it's really not that hard.

If you complain about things like this instead of just hitting the mute button you may actually be retarded.

Last edited:

Valonquar

In MMOs all the way back I played in guilds with a pretty diverse mix of people from all walks of life and never saw the same sort of behavior. In FPS and fighters though, it's such a sausage fest overall I'm not too surprised this sort of stuff happens.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, we all know why companies do that, the thing is that it's not a women problem, it's an everyone problem, maybe more women take it more personally considering they tend to care more about and be more affected by groups opinions, but even men tend to shut down voice chats these days... I do that and 100% I don't care about insults, it's just distracting listening to unknown people talking non-stop.

Laugh all you want about this, but that's more or less how I've dealt with it before and they just moved on to target someone else lol.

So in an update they are holding an event for women identifying people in march 9th on a custom Fortnite map for the campaign

b11494%20mny%20through%20their%20eyes%20-%20tournament%20info%20v5.jpg

Eyes up cup or something.

b11494%20mny%20eyes%20up%20ambassadors.jpg

Interesting

Last edited:

Needlecrash

360 pre private parties was the first and last era where multiplayer was fun. I miss hearing who screwed my mom last night.
I remember playing TMNT The Arcade Game on the 360 a long time ago. I remember I was in a party with 3 people and we finished stage 3 and we all were trying to figure out which turtle would get the kiss from April. I was the turtle that got it and said, "Yea...this turtle getting some pussy now ." and we all cracked up. I miss those days. I don't miss the shitty racist remarks but I missed the chatting and communication from that era. It was truly a different time back then.

Top Bottom