• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 rules

HotPocket69

Banned
Z8ztbXy.jpg

But really, it sucks that this was never made backwards compatible with Xbox, let alone a remaster for the newer systems. Even if all they did was finally give you the option to skip cutscenes, I’d pay 60 all over again like a Nintendo fan.

This is still the best third person shooter ever made in my opinion (and it hasn’t been topped since its 2012 release). It’s the most raw, trimmed fat work by Rockstar and I would love for them to take another shot at it.

The soundtrack is still unparalleled and it’s still HEALTHs best work. I’m not posting Tears you fuckers, but I’ll share some new HEALTH instead.

I could totally shoot up DeMarco’s goons to this when I return to Jersey in Max Payne 4.

It was at my worst that I was at my best.”

Game fucking rules like O’Doyle.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Love this game. Still load it up and play through every year or so. Can max it out in 4k over 60fps at this point and it still looks great.

I didn't love the ending, it felt a little too out there for max Payne with the guy having a weapon that basically created earthquakes but still loved it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Most of the “hate” was because hardcore fans were pissed Remedy wasn’t behind it.

Ive been a massive Payne fan since I first bought an original Xbox in 2002 with Halo and Max Payne 1. Bought MP2 day one. When Rockstar bought the rights I was fucking ecstatic.

It definitely plays different than a remedy game and even as a remedy fan I am more than ok with that.

YCoCg

It's a great game with fantastic detail and some of the best third person shooting controls but yeah I can see the hate, in terms of level design it was a lot more narrower and had less exploration than the first two games.

HotPocket69

Banned
It definitely plays different than a remedy game and even as a remedy fan I am more than ok with that.

Totally. And back then it totally made sense. Remedy needed the money for one. The time it took to fully develop though however hurt it a bit. Definitely the sales. Max Payne 3 didn’t do pre GTA V GTA numbers at all. Not sure how it did against LA Noire either.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Totally. And back then it totally made sense. Remedy needed the money for one. The time it took to fully develop though however hurt it a bit. Definitely the sales. Max Payne 3 didn’t do pre GTA V GTA numbers at all. Not sure how it did against LA Noire either.

If I remember correctly Rockstar only ever stated a 4 million number for MP3 and a 5 for LA Noire but it seems La Noire had a much longer tail. Considering the dev time on MP3, and how it's never been remastered or anything alone those lines, it likely wasn't enough.

HotPocket69

Banned
If I remember correctly Rockstar only ever stated a 4 million number for MP3 and a 5 for LA Noire but it seems La Noire had a much longer tail. Considering the dev time on MP3, and how it's never been remastered or anything alone those lines, it likely wasn't enough.

Makes sense. That LA Noire longer tail was thanks to those extra DLC cases they drip fed throughout the rest of 2011 after it released.

Goddamn R* was on fire last gen. RDR in 2010, Noire in ‘11, Payne 3 in ‘12, GTAV in ‘13 😦

Four years straight of straight fire Rockstar games. That’s fucking unprecedented.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Makes sense. That LA Noire longer tail was thanks to those extra DLC cases they drip fed throughout the rest of 2011 after it released.

Goddamn R* was on fire last gen. RDR in 2010, Noire in ‘11, Payne 3 in ‘12, GTAV in ‘13 😦

Four years straight of straight fire Rockstar games. That’s fucking unprecedented.

I liked Rockstar more when they made more than game a generation.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I played it earlier this year for the first time and wasn't that impressed. Aiming was super clunky as well.

Dorohedoro

"Sao Paulo is like Baghdad with G-strings." :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Loved the game to death, probably beat it like a dozen times over the years. Got all the single player grinds. The multiplayer was really fun too. Getting the New York Minute Hardcore achievement was the day I became a man. Think it took me like 6 or 7 tries, I remember my hands sweating so hard near the end of the police station, jfc.

Blond

Banned
Idk why people were hating on this game when it came out

It's pretty easy to see why but that being said, me pointing out the flaws is just from playing it so much.

-difficulty curve was ridiculous, often the best way to beat an area on anything after the "normal" difficulty was dying and maxing out on pain pills and then going through an area

-while I actually preferred it, a lot of folks disliked not being a mobile army.

-seizure inducing presentation, though this was a weird complaint

-those forced story scenes that are said to be "loading" these are no different than forced walking sections

From a gameplay standpoint MP 3 > 2 > 1
Best Story 2 > 1> 3
Overall package 2 > 3 > 1

If there's a mod that lets me skip those ridiculous scenes I'd play it again for the 4th time but like TLOU 2 I just don't want that entire package all at once.

Last edited:

Soltype

It's a decent game, just a bad Max Payne game.The game suffers for trying to bridge the story to the first games, plus the game took it self way too seriosly.If rockstar circa '05 had penned it, it probably would have been better story wise.

Dorohedoro

I don't know why the hell this never got remastered this gen, yet LA Noire did for some reason. That was a good game too but I was very surprised they chose that instead of Max Payne. I suspect it was because of some license bullshit with the soundtrack and they must've thought if they couldn't get the original tracks it wouldn't be worth it. Can't say I disagree, playing it with a butchered or completely different soundtrack would be blasphemy, it has some great songs.

Nymphae

Banned
There were so many memorable and fun areas, they really gave you nice playgrounds for the mechanics. Love the sniping stadium section then running through the seats, the graveyard, the bar fight, the escape from the apartment with the guys on the roof of the opposite building, the offices, etc.

HotPocket69

Banned
My old 360 Elite finally burned out a couple years ago in the middle of a playthrough. Thankfully, the local GameStop had a copy during that end of days with selling used 369/PS3 games.

Two weeks ago I sought out a 360 because I got that annual PAYNE ITCH. I found a 360 Slim from this rich old woman via Craigslist who was literally a couple MILES AWAY.

She gave me a tour of her place. The best part was the Persian cat buddy.

8v64FBI.jpg

Now I have a way to play Max Payne 3 and memories of a weird Persian kitty (it worked out though. I got him to chirp and headbutt my hand).

Top Bottom