• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Dante's Inferno - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dante's Inferno is a 2010 action-adventure game developed by Visceral Games and published by Electronic Arts. The game was released for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PlayStation Portable in February 2010. The PlayStation Portable version was developed by Artificial Mind and Movement.

The game's story is loosely based on Inferno, the first canticle of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. It follows Dante, imagined as a Templar knight from The Crusades, who, guided by the spirit of the poet Virgil, must fight through the nine Circles of Hell to rescue Beatrice from the clutches of Lucifer himself. In the game, players control Dante from a third-person perspective. His primary weapon is a scythe that can be used in a series of combination attacks and finishing moves. Many attack combinations and abilities can be unlocked in exchange for souls, an in-game currency that is collected upon defeating enemies.

Before the game's release, Dante's Inferno underwent a prominent, elaborate, and at times controversial marketing campaign led by the game's publisher Electronic Arts. This included the release of a fake religious game called Mass: We Pray, a motion controller-based game supposedly allowing players to engage in an interactive prayer and church sermon.

The game received generally positive reviews by critics, with praise for the gameplay, art direction, voice acting, story, sound design, and depiction of Hell. It also sold over 2 million copies worldwide across all platforms.[1][2] The game spawned a comic book series and an animated movie, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic, which was released direct-to-DVD simultaneously with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A very good poor man's version of GOW. Ran at 60 fps too on 360. If you never played it and have GP, it's there to play. Just dont play it on easy mode. The easier modes decrease monster count and traps.

Lust boss battle, imagine a dev releasing something like this in today's woke climate lol. Extreme violence in a non-fantasy world like TLoU is perfectly fine though đź‘Ś

E69HvDl.gif

To add a bit more context, this wasn't some obscure indie title, it was published by EA, developed by Visceral (Dead Space anyone?) heavily marketed and absolutely pushed as a God of War killer. Of course, it didn't quite live up to those lofty ambitions but it was a great hack n slash nonetheless with some interesting mechanics (save souls or send them to damnation etc).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I tried this on Game Pass recently and… no, thanks.
The fixed camera feels so old these days. The style of the cutscenes is interesting, but everything else feels exactly like a GoW wannabe from that time, ie guy massacres ugly things with flashy moves amidst a lot of noise. Annoying “puzzles”, braindead environment “interactivity” and ill-conceived setpieces don’t really help shaking things up. And thing about “redeeming” a dying enemy by mashing a button is pure, unadulterated early 2010s western “gameplay”.

Shut0wen

I tried this on Game Pass recently and… no, thanks.
The fixed camera feels so old these days. The style of the cutscenes is interesting, but everything else feels exactly like a GoW wannabe from that time, ie guy massacres ugly things with flashy moves amidst a lot of noise. Annoying “puzzles”, braindead environment “interactivity” and ill-conceived setpieces don’t really help shaking things up. And thing about “redeeming” a dying enemy by mashing a button is pure, unadulterated early 2010s western “gameplay”.
Nah fixed camera imo is still a decent mechanic if done well, love it in castlevania lords of shafow, a great game then the 2nd game got rid of the fixed camera and its a mess

nowhat

What does he mean what happend? The game was pretty good
The series is not about how the game turned out (although more often than not the end product was a turd), but rather about their development and such. For example the Metroid Prime video - the game is deservedly a classic, but the development history, oooh boy. It's a miracle the game ever got made.

Neolombax

I remember liking the game, it was pretty rad at the time. Had to wait until my parents were asleep to play it. Always thought it was going to have a sequel, but i guess sales werent that great.

Kataploom

Gold Member
game is fucking great. The whole "poor men gow" narrative does not do it justice. Is it as good as GoW3?
Nah but the theme is more interesting and the story did give me something to work towards.

Loved it. Would totally play a 4k/120 version of it.
Wasn't GOW a poor man's DMC anyway by those standards? Btw, I remember the polemic back in the day, but curiously enough don't remember the same for Bayonetta when it first came out

This video inspired me to fire the game up on RPCS3. I was only vaguely interested in it when it came out, and to be fair, the mediocre reviews turned me off.

But maybe since it's been a while since I've played GOW or a game like it, I'm quite enjoying it. I enjoy the adventuring part a lot more than the fighting part, and that's true of how I felt with GOW as well.

Looks great running at 1440p60, too:

P3Y2lHr.png

Top Bottom