• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty confirms Bethesda/Xbox combined E3 conference

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Minecraft, post Mojang purchase. Discuss.

Even if they left the original game multi-plat, what was the incentive for the spin-offs?
And they said Minecraft will remain multiplat. Whats your point?
That's not what happened, though. Instead, for the first time in its long history of game publishing, Microsoft is going to begin making games directly for competing hardware platforms. As the company said in its press release today: "Microsoft plans to continue to make Minecraft available across all the platforms on which it is available today: PC, iOS, Android, Xbox, and PlayStation."
Minecraft Dungeons is part of the Minecraft experience. But Cobalt published by Mojang was console exclusive.

Last edited:

NickFire

Even if they left the original game multi-plat, what was the incentive for the spin-offs?
Minecraft is the reason I remain suspicious of the wiggle room left by the statements to date. Every time I read you don't spend billions to put games on a competitor's platform, I remember that MS has already passed on the first opportunity to sacrifice millions / billions in software revenue in hopes of selling hardware.

But of course, their focus on GP the last couple years is a huge difference between then / now, as is the fact that Minecraft was already on PS when MS bought it. Those differences have caused me to think its actually plausible for MS to pass up a king's ransom in terms of revenue from primary and microtransaction sales. But I can't help but wonder if leaning that way defies common sense, as ultimately MS can always have its cake and eat it too. Nothing would ever stop them from taking all the money, and still being able to promote what a "better" deal it is to play it via GP.

Console war aside, I think most of us can't wait to see what Bethesda have been cooking for all this time!

The day we are going to get the first gameplay trailer and release date, people will go mad.

Each elder scrolls is an event for the video game industry, it redefines the role playing genre and gamers play these game to death for years!

It's a series worth buying whatever console for or PC parts to get it running.

Times have changed. Fallout 4 was dogshit. Starfield isn't an elderscrolls game. It won't blow up the mainstream news like a new scrolls would.

Starfield aint a big deal. It's a new IP.

ManaByte

It won't blow up the mainstream news like a new scrolls would.
Tom Cruise GIF

Rat Rage

With all this talk about Gamepass (and rumors about Gamepass on Switch, etc), it's not far fetched to believe that a Gamepass service on Playstation could be a reality in the future as well.

I think Mircrosoft is silently preparing to go thrid party and leave the console gaming hardware market.

They probably realized that the console market is simply too small for 2 huge AAA console manufacturers and that their chances of winning against "Playstation" as a marketing and brand-loyality juggernaut are very slim, and that it would actually be better and more profitable to simply bring Gamepass to every console system there is as a "service" (mainly Sony and Nintendo).

reksveks

They are just leaving Bethesda to do what they want, I am okay with that. Given them money and support. I do want them to build out an internal support team that works on sharing the technical knowledge between the 23 teams more so.

reksveks

With all this talk about Gamepass (and rumors about Gamepass on Switch, etc), it's not far fetched to believe that a Gamepass service on Playstation could be a reality in the future as well.

I think Mircrosoft is silently preparing to go thrid party and leave the console gaming hardware market.

They probably realized that the console market is simply too small for 2 huge AAA console manufacturers and that their chances of winning against "Playstation" as a marketing and brand-loyality juggernaut are very slim, and that it would actually be better and more profitable to simply bring Gamepass to every console system there is as a "service" (mainly Sony and Nintendo).
The only way they are going to drop out is if Microsoft is taking that third party mtx revenue which I can't see happening .

That they keep emphasizing how they are leaving a lot of Bethesda's (i.e. Zenimax) back-end alone should tell you all you need to know about how things are going to shape up in the near-term.

Expect first, or better, or best on Xbox. They can't just turn the tap-off or expect massive blow-back. Starfield as a proper exclusive I can buy, but beyond that... I still say timed exclusivity will be the norm.

Besides things they are already contractually obligated to do and limited scenarios where they may wish to put an online specific title out on as many platforms as possible, it just isn't happening. Bethesda has become an Xbox exclusive console videogame maker. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield, Doom will not be on any other console besides Xbox. Playstation 5 only owners can be happy they're getting Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, two games that look fantastic.

Indiana Jones could be multi-platform maybe if that's how the deal works out. But this is about Game Pass and making Xbox a focus. They don't want Bethesda split between Xbox, PC and Playstation. They want them focused on Xbox alone for consoles. There may be some Nintendo support here and there, but this move was about giving Xbox a major boost at the expense of Playstation in hopes of growing their games business and Game Pass mostly.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
* MS announces Game Pass will be on PS5 at E3

Never going to happen, but it would be a massive lol moment if it did
That would mean games like Halo and Fable would come to Gamepass on PS5. That won't happen. Otherwise everyone would just buy a PS5 to get all exclusive from Sony as well as the MS first party games. No need for Xbox at that point. That won't happen.

kikii

That would mean games like Halo and Fable would come to Gamepass on PS5. That won't happen. Otherwise everyone would just buy a PS5 to get all exclusive from Sony as well as the MS first party games. No need for Xbox at that point. That won't happen.
well u dont need actually xbox for anything cuz of GP is on PC and mobiles and prolly soon on TV's or what that firestick thingy is ? ^^

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
well u dont need actually xbox for anything cuz of GP is on PC and mobiles and prolly soon on TV's or what that firestick thingy is ? ^^
True, but they wouldn't put it on PS5. Personally I don't want my 4k, 120fps next gen games running on a phone. I also don't want to play them on a monitor or laptop. I don't think TV's or firestick has anyway to play the games other than XCloud (and my internet kind of sucks.......and I want mainly physical games.) Just give me the console with a 55"+ 4K tv and I'm good.

Robb

Gold Member
I definitely think MS would put GamePass on Playstation and Switch if Sony or Nintendo allowed it.

I don't think selling consoles is as important as building GamePass to them. If Xbox sells 20M in total over the generation but they manage to get 100M GamePass subscribers split between Nintendo, Sony and their own platform that'd be a huge win.

Ceadeus

Times have changed. Fallout 4 was dogshit. Starfield isn't an elderscrolls game. It won't blow up the mainstream news like a new scrolls would.

I find you really pessimistic. Do you even like Bethesda to start with?

Something tells me that PS5 owners will know they've made a great investment once they see Sony's show :)
And what exactly is that something? I wouldn't be that confident in Sony having a better showing than Microsoft at this point. 12 first party studios vs 23 is not a great start. 2 of which Insomniac and ND will not have anything new to show (TLOU2 MP not included).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
E3 is gonna hurt the PS5 owners, all the Bethesda goodness is going to be hard to miss out on.
Something tells me that PS5 owners will know they've made a great investment once they see Sony's show
And what exactly is that something? I wouldn't be that confident in Sony having a better showing than Microsoft at this point. 12 first party studios vs 23 is not a great start. 2 of which Insomniac and ND will not have anything new to show (TLOU2 MP not included).
There's a few variables

1. Sony does deals for 3rd party exclusives
2. Sony has been doubling a few of their studios, they put 4 billion into their internal teams since 2019. And we know they have 25 titles in development currently
3. They could have the better looking exclusives

Sony usually has good showings though so I believe people will be satisfied

Something tells me that PS5 owners will know they've made a great investment once they see Sony's show

There's a few variables

1. Sony does deals for 3rd party exclusives
2. Sony has been doubling a few of their studios, they put 4 billion into their internal teams since 2019. And we know they have 25 titles in development currently
3. They could have the better looking exclusives

Sony usually has good showings though so I believe people will be satisfied
They certainly will, here's hoping both have good showings I just think all the pressure is on Microsoft and they know this. Thats why I think they'll pull out everything to impress.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They certainly will, here's hoping both have good showings I just think all the pressure is on Microsoft and they know this. Thats why I think they'll pull out everything to impress.
I think they will have some good stuff to show too. Everyone should have a good show this time around

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't have to explain shit to you. Use your own brain.

While you do that, count the number of exclusives they released on Playstation that aren't named Minecraft.

So you have no explanation?

Let me provide one for you then: MS care more about money than fanboy bragging rights.

As to exclusives released on Playstation after a timed exclusivity period. How about Cuphead. It was third-party but MS were heavily involved in funding and publishing it initially. At no point was it suggested it would ever be on any platform other than Xbox and PC. Until it happened.

Last edited:

SSfox

26739-colombo-serie-tv-internazionali-multimedia.gif

Some people can be really hyped by just random blabla and bland pictures..

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Keep thinking that, its positive. However, before you missed out on 5 studios easy right? Now its 23 and their could be more. Still feeling fine? You thought PSO2 was bad you haven't seen bad yet. No Game Pass, no games it's that simple.

I also have a pc? So no I'm not missing out. It depends on what you like. Only titles I care for are ID, machine games and arcane. And last game I played I gave a shit about was doing eternal......on pc.

If only have a PlayStation then yes you will miss out on elder scrolls,future fallout etc.

But honestly there's a reason zenimax was trying to sell years ago.

jigglet

Banned
Microsoft got so lucky buying them before coronavirus. After the pandemic pretty much every video game company shot up in value. I ended up making nearly 150k on my Nintendo shares lol

Banned

because Minecraft is a fucking money printing machine, that's why. also it is not a killer app for 90% of the core gaming landscape, especially the spinoffs which are very much marketed towards children and early teenagers. those spinoffs are more like advertisements for the main game than anything else lol

Last edited:

Kumomeme

ok now MS conference will be interesting to watch. no offense but for past few years it is pale compared to its rival. hope bethesda has something to spice up the conference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Very happy that their showcase will be combined. Hoping for a 2 hour showcase and done. Didn't want one showcase, an intermission and then another showcase. Should be late Sunday afternoon, June 13th or sometime Monday June 14th. Let's go baby!!!

freefornow

Expect first, or better, or best on Xbox. They can't just turn the tap-off or expect massive blow-back. Starfield as a proper exclusive I can buy, but beyond that... I still say timed exclusivity will be the norm.
Back in the day, I remember similar sentiments like this from Major Nelson. "cant just flip a switch"
Nekminit......

Greggy

So was Cyberpunk 2077. And there was no bigger deal in gaming until it released.
The game studio's track record was the big deal.

Last edited:

Redlight

That they keep emphasizing how they are leaving a lot of Bethesda's (i.e. Zenimax) back-end alone should tell you all you need to know about how things are going to shape up in the near-term.

Massive blowback from who? People who wouldn't buy an Xbox if their life depended on it?

FFS.

FrankWza

Xbox app is available on PC and mobile so that's all part of the eco-system.

You peddle this line a lot and it's getting tired. If you can't accept or understand what Xbox means in the modern world then that's on you, most people get it.
Doesn’t change what exclusive means. When you need to type 2 sentences to explain it’s exclusivity it aint that. You don’t need an xbox to play these games when they release. You need a Switch to play the next Zelda and you need a PS to play the next GoW. It’s that simple.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

only big exclusives this year will be halo infinite and maybe forza ?
i guess nothing changed
if sony shows gameplay from horizon fw , trailer for god of war or even gameplay , a new teaser for naughty dog game they will win this e3 easy

Last edited:
Top Bottom