• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix Awakens Power Consumption Comparison. XSS vs XSX vs PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty interesting stuff given the specs. The XSX is roughly 15w less than the PS5 during the on-rails sequence, while walking around the city and while driving. The cutscenes are mostly the same, but some shots do show a 15-20 fps difference.

The XSS hovers around 80 watts. The highest I saw both consoles go was 220 watts during the final bullet time shot in the chase scene right before the explosion.

This shouldnt come as a surprise since higher clocks typically means higher power consumption. However, this should put to rest any concerns over the PS5 GPU or CPU not having access to enough power since the power consumption can rise from 200 watts to 220 watts without having to downclock anything.

Pretty interesting stuff given the specs. The XSX is roughly 15w less than the PS5 during the on-rails sequence, while walking around the city and while driving. The cutscenes are mostly the same, but some shots do show a 15-20 fps difference.

The XSS hovers around 80 watts. The highest I saw both consoles go was 220 watts during the final bullet time shot in the chase scene right before the explosion.

This shouldnt come as a surprise since higher clocks typically means higher power consumption. However, this should put to rest any concerns over the PS5 GPU or CPU not having access to enough power since the power consumption can rise from 200 watts to 220 watts without having to downclock anything.

Sounds about right. A small uptick on my clocks, on pc, result in marginal to bigger power draw. It would be interesting to see on benchmarks that completely saturate the gpu pipeline to the extreme, and take results there. As well as benches that are specifically CPU limited only.

This is similar to going from 1ohm, to 0.5ohms in amplifier efficiency. To a certain extent, you get more heat and not much gains. Will be interesting to see the next RDNA tech, and how frequency to performance go.

kikkis

Troll take is that there is 15 watts of performance left on the table on X, which lazy and dim developers fail to take advantage off. In all seriousness. I think both consoles seem fine hardware wise, but supposedly better yields probably help PS5 push more units.

Edit. Though think mircosoft really needs unified stand by mode instead of two separate ones to choose from. I dont like how X heats a bit in instant on and eco is just useless more or less. Maybe just boot system every 15 minutes to see if there is updates or new games to download.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Crazy how well designed the xbox is on all fronts. Size, power, heat, power draw, noise levels.

Ps5 is well designed too but deffo pushes the hardware more.
I actually think the xsx is leaving performance on the table here. They also go up to 220 watts but not often enough. 1.8 ghz clocks are probably too conservative for an rdna 2.0 card in a console box. This is just one game but when she’s walking, the Xsx givers around 195w while the ps5 goes up to 210 watts. Its possible they are hitting the 30 fps cap here, but i really don’t care if the consoles go over 200w if it means better performance. We know the Xsx can dip in this game so seeing it average less power consumption tells me they could’ve pushed The clocks more or gone with a variable clock system of their own.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Troll take is that there is 15 watts of performance left on the table on X

That's not how any of this works :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lol this comment
rXcImxQ.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I actually think the xsx is leaving performance on the table here. They also go up to 220 watts but not often enough. 1.8 ghz clocks are probably too conservative for an rdna 2.0 card in a console box. This is just one game but when she’s walking, the Xsx givers around 195w while the ps5 goes up to 210 watts. Its possible they are hitting the 30 fps cap here, but i really don’t care if the consoles go over 200w if it means better performance. We know the Xsx can dip in this game so seeing it average less power consumption tells me they could’ve pushed The clocks more or gone with a variable clock system of their own.

i also agree that I would have liked to see the series x gpu hit 2ghz or 2.1 but there must be a reason ms went with the 1.8 that we are unaware of, it may give them more headroom on a pro variant But for the size of the box, the power draw, heat and absolute silence of the box I think they made some good choices overall.

yeah, there’s often a 30 watt difference between Xbox and ps5 that’s crazy In the opening bit. Once the gameplay starts it only looks to be about 10 watts or so.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Because they don't want to damage the system running at clocks it's not intended to run at?

Lemme call Jason Ronald to let him know about this amazing discovery
Hence why I put, that they will know much more than me. I personally think the series x is an incredibly designed box.

so is the series S. 75 watts and pumping out this kind of demo. Bad ass.

reksveks

We know the Xsx can dip in this game so seeing it average less power consumption tells me they could’ve pushed The clocks more or gone with a variable clock system of their own.

Maybe someone could inform me again about the difference between Sony's smartshift system and AMD's. I think it's more of a factor that MS wanted to make life easier for Dev's or the Xbox GDK wasn't ready for it at launch instead of a hardware issue.

sinnergy

Engines need rewrites for more compute . Best thing MS do is , write their own multi platform engine called Unrealer Engine, (also for PC) include Mesh shading , VRS, SFS, Direct Storage , basically all the RDNA 2 features (or 4) and release this engine with the GDK and the next console launch in beta , so that devs can have the engine 1,5 years before releasing. They can easily take on EPIC, if they want .

At least you than know all features are used. Let the Coalition build the engine.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Crazy how well designed the xbox is on all fronts. Size, power, heat, power draw, noise levels.

Ps5 is well designed too but deffo pushes the hardware more.
Sure, but in an era where chips shortages are a thing and advanced nodes capacity gets eaten up by Apple and Samsungs and other similar players, finding a strategy to get the same(ish) performance with a much smaller chip (and despite it being smaller they are able to dedicate more silicon to I/O) is also good design as you put it.
Console box design being a bit God Awful not being Cerny related :p.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I haven't watched the video, but I'm guessing there isn't any comparison between info-view of the triangles vs primitives rendering when the power increases, no?

Higher primitive density shows more H/W accelerated primitive rendering - ie less nanite and less lumen SDF lighting - AFAIK, and more triangles shows more nanite - so more fill-rate bottlenecked placing more importance on higher clock-rate if I'm not mistaken.

When nanite and Lumen SDF lighting is at its highest - going by what TC showed - you'd expect the PS5 to have a frame-rate advantage with less power-draw. And when primitive density is higher you'd expect the XsX to have higher performance than PS5, with the PS5 drawing more power because of the higher clock and H/W bottleneck of CU count - would be my prediction.

/edit
The demo is still a half split between nanite/sdf lumen UE5 rendering and traditional UE4 h/w rasterizing and lighting AFAIK. So very good, but probably the fork in the road for where the two consoles eventually take different paths to max out their hardware on graphics this gen.

Last edited:

FireFly

It was a deliberate choice to favour consistency over peak performance.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned

The thing is that power consumption is not a linear function of clock speed - it typically starts off linear early on, then becomes polynomial and if you push it far enough it becomes exponential (and then you need to use LN2 cooling) - of course, we don't know where on this curve either of these machines are, but it's reasonable to assume that the PS5 is further along it than the series X is simply because they are fabricated on the same processes and the PS5 is clocked significantly higher. Could MS turn up the clocks? Almost certainly, although it's hard to know how much. I also suspect that after the debacle with the 360 they have a strong corporate preference for conservative thermal design.

SpokkX

It was smart for Mark Cerny to push the clock higher and use liquid metal. PS5's chip should be smaller and cheaper than that of xsex and liquid metal is pennies.
It was smart from en economic point of view yes. I am sure the sony execs loved this idea

The consumer, however, is stuck with that horrible gigantic size, coil while and fan noise (yes it does spin up quite a bit compared to the competition)

the series x is a much more expensive piece of hardware - from the chips to the build quality and cooling setup. The consumer benefits from a smaller box and practically silent running

PaintTinJr

It depends on the system really. A PC with the power of these consoles can be built with a 350w total system power draw. Still higher then the consoles but that is one of the advantages of having a APU.
Without a directstorage solution using an RTX IO card on PC, the 12 core CPU needed to match the console's IO decompression will push that figure closer to 550watts on PC ATM IMO.

Even with RTX IO I suspect the figure would be north of 400watts if the RTX IO card on the PCie bus needed at least a 6 Pin connector.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Without a directstorage solution using an RTX IO card on PC, the 12 core CPU needed to match the console's IO decompression will push that figure closer to 550watts on PC ATM IMO.

Even with RTX IO I suspect the figure would be north of 400watts if the RTX IO card on the PCie bus needed at least a 6 Pin connector.
The power figure I was referring to was using a 6 core Zen 3 CPU and a 3060/3060 Ti. Should be fine with DirectStorage.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It was smart from en economic point of view yes. I am sure the sony execs loved this idea

The consumer, however, is stuck with that horrible gigantic size, coil while and fan noise (yes it does spin up quite a bit compared to the competition)

the series x is a much more expensive piece of hardware - from the chips to the build quality and cooling setup. The consumer benefits from a smaller box and practically silent running

For all intents and purposes both consoles are quite silent during operation, we are splitting hairs at this point. Sure, you have more HW sold on one side and this increases the chance of having an issue with PSU coil whine or a bit noisier fan, but in most cases both consoles are more than quiet enough.
Design wise, sure PS5 is uglier, but the baseline being the XSX is not something to cry home about IMHO… PS5 being larger and uglier is not a flex for XSX as much as you are stating.

The consume benefits from extra internal volume that gives the possibility of extending storage with off the shelves SSD’s (faster SSD’s produce more heat and require better cooling, thus the internal space required for the airflow, also able to handle it).

The consumer also benefits by having the same top line performance at $100 less (enter PS5 DE). This simplifies HW purchases and SW development leading to easier time for devs and hopefully better games too.

The consumer also benefits from being able to buy the unit at all (higher chance of getting one more than certainty sure), PS5 outselling XSX|S is not a fanboy opinion… in order to sell it you need to be able to make it. Also Sony is not drawing obscene profit margins like Apple, so I think being able to be efficient there (seeing how much they invest in new games and product lines, like PSVR2) is a bad thing either.

Last edited:
The consumer, however, is stuck with that horrible gigantic size, coil while
The coil whine has nothing to do with the smaller size of the APU.
and fan noise (yes it does spin up quite a bit compared to the competition)
Maybe. But it's still inaudible to me.
the series x is a much more expensive piece of hardware - from the chips to the build quality and cooling setup.
PS5 is cheaper with smarter engineering design.
The consumer benefits from a smaller box and practically silent running
I agree. That's why we keep hearing of satisfied PS5 customers and xsex customers.

ZywyPL

Banned

Your post reminded me of that good old april fools thread:

I still wish MS did upclock XSX to 2GHz given how silent the console is and as it turns out now there's still some power consumption left on the table.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Interesting, xsx versions seems unoptimised, it should not be getting such drastic dips.

We can see here Gears5 is a lot more stable and using more power, in gameplay it doesn't go below 190w and during battle its around the 200-210w.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
kingpin. 3090 ti goes up to 1200 watts

Pc is a joke

Series s often sits at 70 watt while gaming. The whole system.
The general world trend is towards using more energy.
Everything uses more energy. PC, cars, charging stations, charging your phone. Faster charging means more energy because bigger waste too.
I have no idea where are we going to get all that energy from :p

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Everything uses more energy. PC, cars, charging stations, charging your phone. Faster charging means more energy because bigger waste too.

Every house should be fitted with a battery, solar panel and or wind turbine.
It wont solve energy needs but it will certainly put a dent in it.

Bs law will regulate. They do in europe which is good. Theres a reason consoles sit at 200 watts around when maxed out. Eu law

My card at approximate console performance is 180w

Top Bottom