• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matching Epic, Microsoft is slashing what it takes from developers to 12% on their PC store

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A perfect example of why so many GAF posts like this have their head up their own ass. It's Ricky Bobby, if you're not first you're last bullshit. Failures, iterations and buyouts are normal parts of business and growth. Market leading isn't easy and there's only one top spot. There is a specific cycle to innovation, first to market, growth phase, buyouts, few left standing etc. It's as old as the hills. Anyhow keep your hate boner for MS, it's not going to affect my enjoyment of their Xbox/PC ecosystem nor my enjoyment of Ninty's for that matter. Plenty of money and games to be made vying for the top spot or being the underdog.

That wall of text would be impressive if only because it fails to take into account the post I’m replying to.

Three

I agree. Especially with people who have gamepass. The games can be sold for a few bucks cheaper than on steam and devs can still get the same cut. I am the type of PC gamer that only cares about the games and the price so I am fine buying games on any store if it is at the lowest price available when I want to make the purchase.

I also fee that 30% is disgusting. It's fucking market power bullying. If we had real competition it would be similar to retail which is close enough to 12%.
They will not sell it for cheaper than steam. They would rather just take the extra cut usually. This is more to get content on the store because at the moment it doesn't have the users or the developers on board. At least now there is no reason not to release on the store.

nemiroff

Gold Member
MS store sucks.

corrupted my 2TB SSD and i had to reinstall everything. no thanks. just put your games on Steam.

I remember a few years ago I bought a new non-OS SSD to replace an old one. OS refused to boot up and there was no feedback why it didn't want to. Had to research for days to find a solution and to fix it with an elaborate process of recreating partitions and proprietary OS stuff. All because the OS was missing a hidden msstore folder on the new SSD.. Will never get over it, was like being lost at sea in pitch black darkness..

With that said, I've never had any other issues since then, including replacing SSDs (MS may have been patching the issue since). The PC Gamepass stuff seamlessly works like a dream, except of course that I really miss Reshade (which actually is a pretty big deal) .........................

Last edited:

Keihart

Cool and all, but unless the game it's exclusive to that store i doubt anybody it's willingly buying on either epic or windows store. They are just so shit in comparison.

Last edited:

synce

Not sure how some people managed to spin this into a negative unless they have stock in Valve. Digital stores taking less money, and competition in general is always a good thing. The consumer wins in the end. If you're worried about having to use 3 different launchers to play all your PC games, maybe you should step back and put things into perspective. These are commodoties with virtually no resale value, that can be taken away from you at any time, and in the case of Denuvo can't even played offline. Making an MS or Epic account should be the least of your concern.

dcx4610

The fact that you can't choose your installation directory with the MS store is absurd. In top of that, it adds a bunch of random folders on top of that.

For some that likes to keep their folders organized, it's a mess. I've used it but only if there are no other options. This will not change.

The fact that you can't choose your installation directory with the MS store is absurd. In top of that, it adds a bunch of random folders on top of that.

For some that likes to keep their folders organized, it's a mess. I've used it but only if there are no other options. This will not change.
i bought some Gears PC games from the store a couple of weeks ago and installed them on an external drive. can't remember where that option is but i found it, so it is possible.

dcx4610

i bought some Gears PC games from the store a couple of weeks ago and installed them on an external drive. can't remember where that option is but i found it, so it is possible.
You can pick your drive but nothing else. You used to not be able to do that. You can't pick folders, directory name, etc.

I get that Microsoft wants to make it easy for people but these are desktops/laptops. Not phones.

You can pick your drive but nothing else. You used to not be able to do that. You can't pick folders, directory name, etc.

I get that Microsoft wants to make it easy for people but these are desktops/laptops. Not phones.
yeah, that sounds about right. i think i just pointed to the drive and the game setup process created the folder structure.

Top Bottom