• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive list of Switch Nindie games [Up: Exclusive content detailed in OP]

Hermii

Here's the trailer for Runner3, it looks awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGggf7Lh6c

The PS3 version of Runner2 was a free game on PS+ a while back and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Really looking forward to this new one.
One thing that's pretty cool about these kind of rhythm type games on Switch is that there is a way to play them with close to zero latency. I bet Switch has less than 95% of Tvs in game mode.

-MB-

"More room for third parties to survive" was always the apology for a thin first-party catalogue at launch, though, even before mid-priced digital-only games were a factor. It certainly didn't work out for the 3DS, though we'll see if anything is different this time around with Zelda holding the fort as a solitary first-party titan while indies cover all the bases for diversity.

What I'm more optimistic about it this: if I recall, developers like Yacht Club and Image & Form that targeted Nintendo as the lead platform, with games in Nintendo-friendly genres, frequently reported in the Wii U/3DS era that even once they went multiplatform, Nintendo accounted for a substantial proportion of their sales. Word gets around about that, and word will get around again if the first wave of Switch indie titles and timed exclusives pay off handsomely. For indie developers in certain genres, the Switch-buying market is their blue ocean: a market with favourable demographics that isn't so saturated with indistinguishable competition that they have trouble standing out, and which (unlike Steam) doesn't have a norm of waiting for bundles or a $5 price point, or a player base notorious for a crippling backlog problem.

I could see an embrace of the Switch paying off in spades. Developers returning from the 3DS and Wii U are back because they know the Switch will be friendly territory, and their peers in the indie sector are catching on.

Well, such a strategy will only work if the 3rd parties/indies, you are making room for, actually jump into that gap and make use of it. It did not happen on 3DS, and it backfired. Seems to me the Nindies aren't as reluctant and we gettign a ton fo them pretty soon after launch.
Now we get to see if the strategy pays off I guess.

Kiru

Oh "The Next Penelope" is listed there too, cool. I played it on Steam. It's kinda like a top down F-Zero.

bman94

Nintendo ain't fucking around. Tons of indie support, even exclusives and timed exclusives. They are definitely trying fill their software line-up with indie support to compensate for third party support.

BigPete

Omg, any game in the style of either NBA jam or NBA street on the switch would be fucking amazing

I'm guessing it's more like this:

KhUyAE

This list is INSANELY GOOD

Seriously the Switch is going to be a ridiculously good console

I can't believe all this stuff will be portable without being some watered down terrible port

bman94

Indie games ARE third-party games.

C'mon now, let's not split hairs here. We all know that they are technically "third party" games but everyone designates the difference between "indie" and "third party" is budget, scope of the games and whether or not they are backed by a huge publisher.

Tregard

Soothsayer
C'mon now, let's not split hairs here. We all know that they are technically "third party" games but everyone designates the difference between "indie" and "third party" is budget, scope of the games and whether or not they are backed by a huge publisher.

Yeah, this is the reason I struggle to know where to classify a game like Gwent

jariw

Well, such a strategy will only work if the 3rd parties/indies, you are making room for, actually jump into that gap and make use of it. It did not happen on 3DS, and it backfired. Seems to me the Nindies aren't as reluctant and we gettign a ton fo them pretty soon after launch.
Now we get to see if the strategy pays off I guess.

The difference this time is that it apparently is easy to port things to the Switch (if you use supported middleware).

atbigelow

I think the term "AAA" has become the better and more modern term to use. You have publishers like Chucklefish and Team 17 who are getting pretty "big" and publish multiple games, easily fulfilling those requirements.

This list is better than their retail announcements holy hell. Indie machine of the forever. Im planning to day 1 almost every announced game in the direct. I just am sad we wont get them all in physical. Shakedown Hawaii and Blaster Master 0 have me so hype. This really solidifies how much this console seems to fit my tastes. So happy.

Doesn't look like I've convinced Nintendo yet. Here's the response I got from them today:

"Thank you for reaching out to us about developing for the Nintendo Switch. At this time we have not opened up the doors for all developers, but we are still accepting project sheets for the Wii U and the 3Ds. If you have not yet registered your company on the Nintendo Developer Portal site, please do so. We will be updating our home page with upcoming announcements about the Switch and the opportunities to develop for it."

I guess the Dev Kits are still difficult to get a hold of? Is anyone on Twitter that could help? I'm sure if you had the chance to speak to the right people you would have a better chance than just getting a Canned Response. Would love to see you on Switch.

fernoca

Shakedown Hawaii first on Switch is great and a bit unexpected.

Retro City was a Wii exclusive at first that then was delayed and ended not only last to be released, but never made any money. Then no intention of a Wii U version, but the 3DS was a big success.

hawk2025

We desperately need a joycon with a d-pad now.

The Switch can become the best place to play indies, or languish with an inferior control method IMO.

psyfi

Banned

The Switch can become the best place to play indies, or languish with an inferior control method IMO.
Yeah, I just tweeted NOA about this. I'm sure it's coming, but the sooner the better.

Santar

The thing is, will games need a patch to work with a new d-pad joycon?
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of games don't allow you to use the buttons on the left joycon for movement.

_Clash_

The idea of titles like Enter The Gungeon getting physical retail release...HNGGH

Might be my thing, collection of retail editions of indies that i rate.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

KaYotiX

Banned
Just started really getting into indie titles and with the switch being my handheld this is going to be great!!

Doesn't look like I've convinced Nintendo yet. Here's the response I got from them today:

"Thank you for reaching out to us about developing for the Nintendo Switch. At this time we have not opened up the doors for all developers, but we are still accepting project sheets for the Wii U and the 3Ds. If you have not yet registered your company on the Nintendo Developer Portal site, please do so. We will be updating our home page with upcoming announcements about the Switch and the opportunities to develop for it."

Out of curiosity can you actually call Nintendo? Nagging people more directly can produce better results vs email often enough. This isn't quite like dealing with a company's customer service I do realize however.

Step 1 to usurping Vita going well: obtain aaaaaall the indie support

Will probably buy Yooka Laylee, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Flipping Death, and maybe Snake Pass on Switch. Cave Story too if it gets a physical release.

Step one was steal away Monster Hunter before the Vita was even out

Step two is the "Console games on the go" part

Obtaining all the indies is step three

Now all Switch needs is a mountain of otaku wank material and it will have completely devoured the Vita and taken its form.

Calm Mind

Step one was steal away Monster Hunter before the Vita was even out

Step two is the "Console games on the go" part

Obtaining all the indies is step three

Now all Switch needs is a mountain of otaku wank material and it will have completely devoured the Vita and taken its form.

Kenichiro Takaki (Senran Kagura) is already on the job.

Top Bottom