• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass effect legendary edition runs at 60fps on PS5 and 120fps on XSX

ZywyPL

Banned
There are like 284537 different software to lock the framerate and with enough power you can bruteforce almost every game to maintain the locked framerate with hell on screen.

The lock on console is just for not getting over 30 frame but it does nothing when the framerate dips so i don't know what are you talking about or in what universe console gaming has more stable framerate than a capable pc.

I know I know, just wanted to point that out. But that's also how consoles try to achieve a steady framerate, by having a good headroom and locking it down to 30 or 60, but as we all know, that usually never happens, the headroom is mostly not big enough to maintain 30/60FPS during the most intense scenes.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Guess it kinda sucks that due to BC it can’t be 120fps but it’s super weird that they have a 4K60 and a 1440p60 option.

Dodkrake

Banned
Not sure if this has been stated, but the main reason why this would occur is that the game is gen 9 aware, and not gen 9. Basically, Xbox's SDK is easier to port to from PC, and likely the adjustments to make the game / engine ready can very easily be patched, as opposed to requiring more groundwork to be laid. This is one of the main benefits of the Xbox over the PS5, and we'll likely see it occur a few times until games are next gen only.

Basically, it seems it's easy enough to unlock the engine to cap out resolution / FPS (as games were developed for the PS4 pro and Xbox One X) for the PS5 and XSX, but not as easy to then "upgrade" the experience to 120hz on the PS5 as it requires more work.

That's all.

I know it's not a native PS5 version but jesus it's still amazes me how far and ahead MS is with Backwards Compatibility. Their forward thinking is paying dividends in this regard.

That PS5 BC games are capped at 60fps because of of a PS4/Pro hardware limitation is baffling. BC games aren't even capable of using the full power of the PS5 because of a Sony design decision that began last gen.

Agreed.

heringer

Not sure if this has been stated, but the main reason why this would occur is that the game is gen 9 aware, and not gen 9. Basically, Xbox's SDK is easier to port to from PC, and likely the adjustments to make the game / engine ready can very easily be patched, as opposed to requiring more groundwork to be laid. This is one of the main benefits of the Xbox over the PS5, and we'll likely see it occur a few times until games are next gen only.

Basically, it seems it's easy enough to unlock the engine to cap out resolution / FPS (as games were developed for the PS4 pro and Xbox One X) for the PS5 and XSX, but not as easy to then "upgrade" the experience to 120hz on the PS5 as it requires more work.

That's all.

Agreed.
Yep. Also because Series S is using One X profile, not One S, so it isn't purely backwards compatibility.

MaKTaiL

I'm still confused on why EA did not make a PS5 version already. They don't have to use the dualsense features, just make a native version that can use the console power at full capacity.

Boss Mog

Not really a good comparison since it's a PS4 game running in PS5 boost mode whereas on the XBOX, they have a way more unified coding so it's pretty much a native Series X app.

*DJ Khalid gif*
Isn't he here only for PlayStation?

I guess he shows up every time somebody wins? he's just waiting for a victory to make his little dance.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Hugare

Wtf are you doing that makes it so you don't have at least an LG CX?

Beta gamers with trash tvs are gonna hold this generation back.
Having a life, nerd !

(Partially joking)

Tcl 55r635 is cheap
TCL doesnt even exist here in Brazil

Our best options are Samsung and LG. And they arent cheap around here.

But taking my personal experience out of the equation, how many people in the world have a 120hz display?

Its not only about being cheap.

Just like there are a lot of people even today using a 1080p display.

kyussman

Seeing all these high fps numbers on consoles is wild.....I look forward to getting into next gen.....in the meantime I'll be playing this one at 30fps in quality mode on PS4,lol.

Garani

I know it's not a native PS5 version but jesus it's still amazes me how far and ahead MS is with Backwards Compatibility. Their forward thinking is paying dividends in this regard.

That PS5 BC games are capped at 60fps because of of a PS4/Pro hardware limitation is baffling. BC games aren't even capable of using the full power of the PS5 because of a Sony design decision that began last gen.
So, the main reason to buy a next gen console is to play last gen games at 120fps. Why am I bothering spending money, then?

BC is important, and I am using it, but being happy because one box allows 120fps while the other doesn't want to bother spending money in something that is good enough at 60fps while investing in new games.

I take the new games and I'd be very happy with 60 fps.

elliot5

So, the main reason to buy a next gen console is to play last gen games at 120fps. Why am I bothering spending money, then?

BC is important, and I am using it, but being happy because one box allows 120fps while the other doesn't want to bother spending money in something that is good enough at 60fps while investing in new games.

It doesn't have to be an either/or. You can have forward thinking BC while still investing in new games. The departments and teams are very separate.

Come next gen, it's likely that next Xbox will play Xbox One games at higher res/fps than current FPS Boost options, and even play Series games at 120hz if they are only 60hz at launch. It gives me confidence that any games I buy will always look great and run the best they can, even well into the future.

Garani

It doesn't have to be an either/or. You can have forward thinking BC while still investing in new games. The departments and teams are very separate.

Come next gen, it's likely that next Xbox will play Xbox One games at higher res/fps than current FPS Boost options, and even play Series games at 120hz if they are only 60hz at launch. It gives me confidence that any games I buy will always look great and run the best they can, even well into the future.
The budget assigned to the division is the same, thought.

If you play a game with 1080 textures you can upscale it and push the framerate foras much as you want, but that 1080 texture will still be there and it will suck on a 8k screen.

Jaysen

Banned
Seeing the comments on Facebook is mind blowing.

Xbox Fan: "Ha, PS5 sucks, we get 120hz for Mass Effect and you get 60hz!"

PS5 Fan: "Do you have a 120hz TV to even run this?'

Xbox Fan: "...No, but it doesn't matter, 120Hz. PS5 sucks."
But I do own one. Lots of people do, especially gamers who would be the first to buy a PS5 and XSX.

Arun1910

But I do own one. Lots of people do, especially gamers who would be the first to buy a PS5 and XSX.
Well good for you! Enjoy.

Fact of the matter is, not many people will own 120Hz TV's, they've only been around a handful of years unless I'm mistaken.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well good for you! Enjoy.

Fact of the matter is, not many people will own 120Hz TV's, they've only been around a handful of years unless I'm mistaken.
I mean, the biggest excuse for Series S defenders, are that not many people own a 4K TV and more own a 1080p TV. So 120Hz are even less in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a nice option to have regardless.

As for the OP, if accurate, this has nothing to do with pOwEr.

Last edited:

MaulerX

How about you just acknowledge the fact that certain decisions made are the reason this is happening? If you didn't care enough about BC you wouldn't be here talking about it.

Besides, what does one thing have to do with the other? You can have great looking and performing BC games whilst also looking forward and enjoying the newer games.

DeaDPo0L84

Is this another case of these games being 4k/60 and 4k/120 but they use shitty low-medium graphical settings across the board to be able to achieve said results? If so...meh

Garani

How about you just acknowledge the fact that certain decisions made are the reason this is happening? If you didn't care enough about BC you wouldn't be here talking about it.

Besides, what does one thing have to do with the other? You can have great looking and performing BC games whilst also looking forward and enjoying the newer games.
But of course they are! I am just telling you that IMO it's better to use budget for new game instead of forcing old games to work them at 120fps.

Garani

fascinating michael j fox GIF

why no PS5 120?

Because it's a BC game. Instead of poatching and recompiling the game to take advantage of the new features, EA decided to cheap out and just refresh a bit some textures, cover some boobies and release the game FPS unlocked.

Is this another case of these games being 4k/60 and 4k/120 but they use shitty low-medium graphical settings across the board to be able to achieve said results? If so...meh
Yes it is.​

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Side note. Purple board says the game is about 80-85 gb space (100+ for EU versions with language options).

I'm hoping they allow you to install/not install each game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
1440p at 120 fps. Be great if I had a tv that could support 120 fps natively. Is there a PC version, cuz that's what I will go with.

EDIT: PC Version it is.

Last edited:

Retinoid

It's not going to run at 120fps - it's going to have an unlocked frame rate capped at 120fps that it will seldom ever hit. Let's all be realistic here.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I was going to buy this then found out they left the multiplayer from ME3 on the cutting room floor. Yep hard pass. I don’t care about 120 FPS give me my god damn co op grind fest.

Having a life, nerd !

(Partially joking)

But taking my personal experience out of the equation, how many people in the world have a 120hz display?

I mean, they're not that much more expensive than a standard 60hz display of decent quality. You could have made the same argument for 4k adoption. Lets just never move onto the next standard because not that many people in X country have access to it.

If you truly are in a situation with limited options, that's unfortunate and I'm sure it's the reality for millions (billions?) of users but for many of the major markets, it's just not anymore. There are TVs units from Vizio that are of comparable value. LG has a wide array, some on the more budget friendly side like the 49NANO85UNA for ~$600 US, as well. I got my 65 120HZ TCL for $850 from Best Buy and I'm sure many others have taken advantage of similarly amazing deals. I know it's not fun to constantly hear about what's not available to you but that doesn't change the fact that lack of 120hz adoption is more of a problem of education than anything else. It's just like 4k and HDR. People notice those benefit, they just needed a little time to be sold on them and for it to sink in (well, going from 1080p to 4k is actually super overkill for most because they're using too small of a tv and sitting too far away to appreciate the extra pixel density but the point stands--diminishing returns is not NO returns, and 120hz is a MASSIVE leap over 60).

Last edited:

mhirano

Having a life, nerd !

(Partially joking)

TCL actually DOES exist in Brazil!
jqNAWfr.png

Justin9mm

If you think you can see more than 60 fps, you are probably lying to yourself.
60fps vs say 75-90fps, maybe not for some but I guarantee you as a person who used to game exclusively on PC, I can easily tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps.

But does anyone need 120fps for Mass Effect, probably not.

Three

Gold Member
It is a remaster for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
It is BC only on PS5 and Xbox Series (running PS4 Pro and Xbox One X version respectively).
But this is wierd because in favour framerate mode it runs at the same framerate as favour image quality mode. Everybody would choose image quality what would even be the point of favouring framerate unless we are expecting the upto to mean unstable?
My guess is that they simply did not see the benefit of optimising for 120fps on the PS5 due to install base whereas they initially wanted to support 120 mode for X1X to begin with, and subsequently XSX. Dirt 5 has a 120 fps mode on PS5 and actually performs better on the PS5 for example so this is clearly not about hardware.

Edit: Seems I completely misunderstood the IGN article. X1X is not 120fps but the console supports 120hz.

Last edited:

elliot5

But this is wierd because in favour framerate mode it runs at the same framerate as favour image quality mode. Everybody would choose image quality what would even be the point of favouring framerate unless we are expecting the upto to mean unstable?
My guess is that they simply did not see the benefit of optimising for 120fps on the PS5 due to install base whereas they initially wanted to support 120 mode for X1X to begin with, and subsequently XSX. Dirt 5 has a 120 fps mode on PS5 and actually performs better on the PS5 for example so this is clearly not about hardware.
idk how many times this needs to be repeated, but there is no PS5 version of this game, only an enhanced PS4 title running in BC. Dirt 5 is a PS5 SKU game, thus it can offer 120hz. Xbox can support 120hz in BC, hence the supported mode on XSX. If they built the game and released it as a separate PS5 title, then yes, they surely would have been able to run it as the PS5 is likely powerful enough.

Top Bottom