• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass effect legendary edition runs at 60fps on PS5 and 120fps on XSX

Banned
120Hz only really matters or is a benefit in competitive shooters.

For everything else 60 will suffice.

that's very wrong. 120fps is a huge advantage in every competitive game, Rocket League for example is transformative at 120hz, the responsiveness is simply so much better.

and every single game that isn't a turn based RPG benefits from higher framerates no matter how high. and Mass Effect, especially 2 and 3 are basically shooters with RPG elements lol

Chukhopops

If you think you can see more than 60 fps, you are probably lying to yourself.
The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

that's very wrong. 120fps is a huge advantage in every competitive game, Rocket League for example is transformative at 120hz, the responsiveness is simply so much better.

and every single game that isn't a turn based RPG benefits from higher framerates no matter how high. and Mass Effect, especially 2 and 3 are basically shooters with RPG elements lol
It doesn't matter since it's not benefiting the PS5.

The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

Stop iiiiit pleaaaase.
:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Mr Moose

Yeah there's no reason not to choose 120fps mode over 4k 60fps with this game, 1440p is a high enough res (the game is quite ugly, being ugly in 4k won't make much difference), the reduced input latency should help at least a bit, though I do agree it's most beneficial with FPS MP shooters like CoD.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
once you play 120hz you don't want to go back
Out of the games I have I've kept to 4k60fps after trying the 120fps mode
I'm sure its better but I didn't it was all it was cracked up to be.

Derktron

Banned
Seeing the comments on Facebook is mind blowing.

Xbox Fan: "Ha, PS5 sucks, we get 120hz for Mass Effect and you get 60hz!"

PS5 Fan: "Do you have a 120hz TV to even run this?'

Xbox Fan: "...No, but it doesn't matter, 120Hz. PS5 sucks."
And that is where the arguments die out.

I'm 1000% certain this is the new 720p topic for the 9th gen consoles , I wish they won't over use it and make it as salty and toxic as the 720p in last gen.

Last edited:

Shmunter

While amusing, Sony clearly has a PR problem here. Would be wise of them to remedy something that will likely continue to be brought up for a couple of years yet. The BC restrictions seem arbitrary at best.

Personally would also like more push for BC enhancements like frame doubling ala Xbox. Common fans, get that outrage meter into red!

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Yeah it's a BC game that's why.

I think the more interesting comment is "up to" 60 for PS5 while it's "up to" 120 on Xbox.

Given how close in performance these machines are, does that imply PS5 will drop below 60fps still in performance mode? So if that's the case is the Xbox version going to vary between 60-120 fps? Since if there are places where the PS5 would theoretically drop to below 60, The XSX would similarly be at 60 or below 60 as well in that mode ... seems like wild fluctuations.

Or they will both essentially be locked and "up to" means jack all. :p
They are all "up to".

I guess they don't want to get shit if there's an odd frame drop somewhere.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
While amusing, Sony clearly has a PR problem here. Would be wise of them to remedy something that will likely continue to be brought up for a couple of years yet. The BC restrictions seem arbitrary at best.

Personally would also like more push for BC enhancements like frame doubling ala Xbox. Common fans, get that outrage meter into red!
I agree it's just some arbitrary bullshit, however it still sucks that they are basically releasing BC game this long from start of the gen. It's not like they cannot compile it as new versions, it will run (well at least on Xbox). It's fucking EA, who else had dev kits early if not EA...

Yeah it's a BC game that's why.

I think the more interesting comment is "up to" 60 for PS5 while it's "up to" 120 on Xbox.

Given how close in performance these machines are, does that imply PS5 will drop below 60fps still in performance mode? So if that's the case is the Xbox version going to vary between 60-120 fps? Since if there are places where the PS5 would theoretically drop to below 60, The XSX would similarly be at 60 or below 60 as well in that mode ... seems like wild fluctuations.

Or they will both essentially be locked and "up to" means jack all. :p
It says "up to" on everything so I assume it's 60fps but could possibly drop.

This settled!! im getting series X with 120fps mass effect!!! who in the right mind buy a next gen console to play new next gen game ? PS is done for.

Returnal? Ratchet and Clank? pffff come on who would play these
You're right -- once you play an old game, your console completely loses the ability to play new ones. It's definitely either/or.

Banned

they don't have the flexibility of Microsoft when it comes to BC. first of all the One S and One X already supported 120hz, so it is naturally built into the BC layer because it needs to be.
Sony didn't do that because the PS4 did not support 120hz, it's hard to say if they can ever change that. given that they had issues even getting every PS4 game to run in the first place makes this seem like a real hard task. who knows what could break if they enabled this.

SkylineRKR

FYI this is a PS4 release. Xbox obviously has the edge. Wonder how S will pan out. Might get it on that instead of PS5. This also says nothing about PS5 itself, Sony just chose a PS4 Pro mode for all PS4 content unless they go out and upgrade the game.

No this isn't true. Its not the quantum leap 60 is over 30, but 120hz is def noticable if you compare it with 60. Its also noticable when you scroll on a 60hz tablet, or on a tablet with 90hz. Its that kind of same effect. 120hz does play really fine if its stable, like Super lucky's tale on Xbox. Its also very responsive.

Last edited:
Good for those 20 people out there that have a 120hz tv

Seriously now, options are great, but 4k60hz is good enough when most games cant even run at 4k native at 30fps

Wtf are you doing that makes it so you don't have at least an LG CX?

Beta gamers with trash tvs are gonna hold this generation back.

twilo99

Its true, a lot of console players are still stuck in the past with 60hz screens..

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you are someone who likes playing games in general no matter the year they are released Pc is the best platform but Xbox are doing a good job at showing love to games in general. Really impressed.

I totally get the people that just want new games, but I will genuinely play anything and everything if it’s good, no matter the year it was released and Xbox is proven to be the absolute best console platform for this. They do deserve some props.

That's the kind of mentality I absolutely can't stand. It's so gross and toxic.

Md Ray

iheartradio music awards GIF by iHeartRadio
Why tf does he keep saying "another one"?

Shmunter

they don't have the flexibility of Microsoft when it comes to BC. first of all the One S and One X already supported 120hz, so it is naturally built into the BC layer because it needs to be.
Sony didn't do that because the PS4 did not support 120hz, it's hard to say if they can ever change that. given that they had issues even getting every PS4 game to run in the first place makes this seem like a real hard task. who knows what could break if they enabled this.
Could be, but I’d wager it’s not impossible based on some assumptions.

BC games can already recognise a PS5 via some hardware ID lookup and do behave differently, like e,g. unlocking a hard 30fps lock. No doubt the system is capping dev ability to do too much.

However Sony has control of the system and could wire it In considering the hardware is capable. I cannot see hands being tied here having full up and down access to the o/s and hardware as a unit.

ZywyPL

Banned
INB4 it's another Tony Hawk situation and both version will end up being exactly the same... Anyway, 4K60 is the sweet spot for me, you get both great image quality and smooth, responsive framerate.

You’re as thick as that Twitter idiot for reposting that.
I obviously posted that to have a laugh, I stopped posting these kind of tweets months ago after some of us in the forum thought we shouldn't give them any attention (to both fanboy sides) but this tweet was just too dumb to let it pass.

Moonjt9

Out of the games I have I've kept to 4k60fps after trying the 120fps mode
I'm sure its better but I didn't it was all it was cracked up to be.
Same here. You have to sacrifice so much good graphics to get 120fps. 60fps plus good visual quality shits on 120fps every day and twice on sundays.

SkylineRKR

At 1440p you barely sacrifice anything. I'd choose that over 4k/60, myself. But my TV is only 55 inch. When it drops to 1080p or even lower I dismiss 120hz.

INB4 it's another Tony Hawk situation and both version will end up being exactly the same... Anyway, 4K60 is the sweet spot for me, you get both great image quality and smooth, responsive framerate.

I don't think so. This is One X BC program vs basic PS4 Pro boost mode. Perhaps when EA or Sony patches the game for PS5 it'll be the same experience. I typically rather buy Series S versions instead of PS5 versions when it comes to last-gen releases.

Last edited:

BigLee74

120Hz only really matters or is a benefit in competitive shooters.

For everything else 60 will suffice.

That's why I put that guy on ignore.

Quoting a sack of shit like Dealer here. Good grief. I'd react the same if it was PS twitter warriors. There is one PS troll guy (who for some reason that escapes me) also gets quoted quite a bit on this forum. Can't remember the name. Yeah well anyway fuck you guys for doing that lol

Joe Miller? Very punchable face? Semi-outed as that v_IHugi guy that was perm banned from here?

Yeah, he’s a dick.

supernova8

Banned

I have a 165 hz monitor and a 60 hz monitor next to it (dual screen setup for work, because I'm too lazy to buy another 165 hz monitor) and I can absolutely tell the difference. Either you're lying or you just haven't seen a 120hz+ monitor and a 60hz monitor side by side.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why is everything "up to x fps"? It should be super stable fps, especially on the newest consoles.
On console??

Dude you had maybe 1 game in the last gen with 60 frame 99% of times and that was halo 5 and maybe gears 5 and some racing\fighting game.

Rock solid framerate with hell on screen on console is more of a chimera.

That's why pc exist.

And new console doesn't change that, bot morales, demons and returnal (especially this last one) all suffer from framerate disp in the most chaotic situations.

Thankfully the majority of people who play only on console can't notice a 10 frame dips even if he was trying to steal their girl:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
On console??

Dude you had maybe 1 game in the last gen with 60 frame 99% of times and that was halo 5 and maybe gears 5 and some racing\fighting game.

Rock solid framerate with hell on screen on console is more of a chimera.

That's why pc exist.

And new console doesn't change that, bot morales, demons and returnal (especially this last one) all suffer from framerate disp in the most chaotic situations.

Thankfully the majority of people who play only on console can't notice a 10 frame dips even if he was trying to steal their girl:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
This message was brought to you by PCMR. ;)

MaulerX

I know it's not a native PS5 version but jesus it's still amazes me how far and ahead MS is with Backwards Compatibility. Their forward thinking is paying dividends in this regard.

That PS5 BC games are capped at 60fps because of of a PS4/Pro hardware limitation is baffling. BC games aren't even capable of using the full power of the PS5 because of a Sony design decision that began last gen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Technically PC is the platform with the most unstable framerate since there are no locks and framerate fluctuates every single second ;)
There are like 284537 different softwares to lock the framerate on pc and with enough power you can bruteforce almost every game to maintain the locked framerate with hell on screen.

The lock on console is just to not get over 30/60 frame but it does nothing when the framerate dips so i don't know what are you talking about or in what universe console gaming has more stable framerate than a capable pc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom