• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass effect legendary edition runs at 60fps on PS5 and 120fps on XSX

Three

Gold Member
idk how many times this needs to be repeated, but there is no PS5 version of this game, only an enhanced PS4 title running in BC. Dirt 5 is a PS5 SKU game, thus it can offer 120hz. Xbox can support 120hz in BC, hence the supported mode on XSX. If they built the game and released it as a separate PS5 title, then yes, they surely would have been able to run it as the PS5 is likely powerful enough.
I see, thanks. It's just wierd that they have the enhanced mode specifically for PS5 that is higher fps than PS4 Pro though.

PS5
Image quality mode: 60fps 4k
Framerate mode: 60fps 1440p

PS4 Pro
Image quality mode: 30fps 4k

I mean who would choose framerate mode on PS5 when you don't lose framerate in image quality mode?

I'd be interested to know what technical barrier there is for 120fps in BC mode when there is at least some enhanced mode for PS5 specifically in the game without a separate SKU.

elliot5

I see, thanks. It's just wierd that they have the enhanced mode specifically for PS5 that is higher fps than PS4 Pro though.

PS5

PS4 Pro

I mean who would choose framerate mode on PS5 when you don't lose framerate in image quality mode?

I'd be interested to know what technical barrier there is for 120fps in BC mode when there is at least some enhanced mode for PS5 specifically in the game without a separate SKU.

Not much technical detail specified other than Sony doesn't allow it for whatever reason. If I find a better, more technical answer I'll share.

LuciferSatan

Neo Member
But of course they are! I am just telling you that IMO it's better to use budget for new game instead of forcing old games to work them at 120fps.
They should do both. Period. Any game you buy on PC has the ability for better performance then why shouldn't consoles have it!? Arguing against that is just moronic. If you don't have 120Hz TV, you will get one someday and if you don't have a 4k tv, you will get one someday... so it's better to always have the option. I as a player always want the option to play the games how I want to play it. It's nice to see at least that one manufacture understands that.

Garani

How could you possibly know this?
Because the division is one? It's all published: there is a division and a number of working groups. The main budget is one, and it is then split amont all the working groups. It's how a company works.

They should do both. Period. Any game you buy on PC has the ability for better performance then why shouldn't consoles have it!? Arguing against that is just moronic. If you don't have 120Hz TV, you will get one someday and if you don't have a 4k tv, you will get one someday... so it's better to always have the option. I as a player always want the option to play the games how I want to play it. It's nice to see at least that one manufacture understands that.
We are wasting money, effort and talent. It's important to maintain BC, it's a waste to do anything possible to force 120fps when it needs VRR to be fluid. It's just a useless marketing gimmik and VRR is an excuse for developers.

skakmk

Another o....
4849024ea17b66b7a80ac9e333fbf76c9a3f28d90ae5f14dfc5654d936aaa29a.jpg
Whoever looses you win!

That N7 Cap though🤣🤣🤣.

Skifi28

A bit lazy on their part not having a native version considering the game releases months into the generation. Even indies have done native versions for older games. Still, pretty happy with 4k60 assuming the framerate is steady.

Last edited:

Allandor

A bit lazy on their part not having a native version considering the game releases months into the generation. Even indies have done native versions for older games. Still, pretty happy with 4k60 assuming the framerate is steady.
Well, it is not like it is only "compiling" and everything happens automatically. On xbox side you only have one SDK (GDK) on PS4 & 5 you have 2 different if you want to support native games.
But it seems like EA doesn't think it is worth it. Currently the current-gen console audience is quite small while the last-gen console audience is quite big. Might have just to much for the planned budget. After all it is more or less a "simple" remaster with some changes. Also just doubling the FPS is more or less just one switch, so it is not even hard to achieve. So it is just a limitation of the SDK they develop for.
Maybe EA adds a native port after release. After all, on most xbox series x consoles the GPU & CPU should be idle most of the time when limited to 60fps (because of the TVs). At least if they didn't lower settings for the 120Hz mode, but I doubt, because (again) it is quite an old trilogy.

Umbasaborne

Banned
i usually play Mass Effect on Xbox anyways, it’s like when a Final Fantasy or Metal Gear is out I go with PlayStation for them.

same! Im so used to playing mass effect and weirdly enough resident evil games on xbox that i default their with those series. But franchises like final fantasy, hitman, or kingdom hearts. 8 always go playstation

Cyborg

PS5

PS4 Pro

I can relate to this. Why wouldn't you choose 4K it has the same FPS and looks better. What's the point of 1440P? That being said, I have a TV that supports 120fps but I just prefer better graphics, and 60 is more than enough.

Don't care. All the 120fps stuff is pointless to me on xbox. Not updating my tv anytime soon and Xbox wont work with my 1440p monitor. Updating something like Titanfall 2 which already ran and looked great seems like a waste of time.

Will still be picking this up on the Xbox though. That's where I played all the ME games.

Freeman76

i was just about to pre order this as well but if that’s the case that they are doing a proper next gen version i’ll give it a miss and wait for it to be added to EA Play.

do you also have a link for where they said this so i can have a look?

Dont listen to that shit lol, this is the only version we will get and its next gen enhanced

JackMcGunns

Guess it kinda sucks that due to BC it can’t be 120fps but it’s super weird that they have a 4K60 and a 1440p60 option.

PS5 looks to be running near 60 even in framerate mode as you can see here with the drop to 59fps, in other words, there is no throttle/overhead, there are actual dips below 60.

oFzBS5N.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom