• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS5) 4K 60FPS Gameplay

Trogdor1123

I think this should have been $30 game to those that do not own the original and free to those that own at least on PC. I watched few streams and comparison videos and I do not think it's worthy $60 even though it's all 3 games. Not encouraging anyone not to buy it, you do what you want you with your hard earned money, but as someone who does not own the original trilogy I was thinking of getting it but I cannot justify that price tag for myself.
Why "should" it? You mean you want it to be that way.

Does this launch today? PlayStation app says the 13th.

Fbh

Looks pretty good, will definitely pick up once it's on sale. Even if the visual upgrade isn't massive, just having it all in a nice package with all the DLC is a good excuse to replay these games.
Still, I'm not seeing the sort of graphical leap to justify such a big jump in system requirements. The recommended GPU went from a 9800 GT in ME3 to 1070? (or are the recommended specs on this version for 4K 60?)

Just use the money and resources on making a new game or something

Generally I'd agree but it's EA and Bioware so I'd rather have them spending money on remastering these games than on some new GaaS, Multiplayer centric "Mass Effect", with tons of technical issues, a bad plot and full of woke crap.

Last edited:

J3nga

All this bitching from ignorant people that expected some remake level quality. What’s next 😂 Where are the chislers crying about it not being on RentPass?
Hate to break to ya, but you're the one who's ignorant if you're giving your cash to EA. They also used fan mods to make this remaster and I doubt they'll give cut to mod makers. Wanna buy it - buy it, but don't call others ignorant, that title belongs to you. I don't how this remaster is any better than last year's mafia 2 and that one was free.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OMG I loved those games. Especially 1 and 2. I have em on steam but never had dlc for 2.
But I am not sure yet if I want o get ps5 or pc versions... I kinda loathe buying anything on origin.... but it's 4k120.
That said - on ps5 I don't need to use damn origin login (I hope) and probably a bit less bugs, saves carry over and maybe dualsense features?
Back in the day, I preferred 360 version to pc version of ME1 because I preferred controls on 360 and the pc port was not too good

edit: Just noticed that the price is terrible... It's a bit cheaper on console but there is no ps5 version? Apparently ps4 box only

Last edited:

J3nga

OMG I loved those games. Especially 1 and 2. I have em on steam but never had dlc for 2.
But I am not sure yet if I want o get ps5 or pc versions... I kinda loathe buying anything on origin.... but it's 4k120.
That said - on ps5 I don't need to use damn origin login (I hope) and probably a bit less bugs, saves carry over and maybe dualsense features?
Back in the day, I preferred 360 version to pc version of ME1 because I preferred controls on 360 and the pc port was not too good
I doubt there are dualsense features as the game is for PS4 and runs via BC on PS5.

Some of ya'll must be fucking around saying that this has no marked improvements.

I replayed it on PC with a bunch of mods, and even I can clearly tell there's been improvements of textures and lighting.

This isn't a remake, it's a remaster - and under that guise, this is a perfectly fine release until we get our hands on it and experience it ourselves and see if they ironed out the bugs.

I'll buy this for the first game alone. I really love it, but trying to play it on PC was not a very good experience before this remaster...

No native controller support, and the combat feels really dated. Sure, there's a controller mod but it's nowhere near perfect.

They seem to have improved the combat and gameplay somewhat so together with 4k and controller support it's a no-brainer for me. Or maybe I'll play it on PS5, whatever.

The second and third games can fuck off though. Especially ME3, what a disaster.

Madflavor

Honestly don't understand why anyone would want to replay this shit. It'd be like getting back together with the girl of your dreams, knowing for a fact she's going to fuck you over and break your heart again.

Ascend

Honestly don't understand why anyone would want to replay this shit. It'd be like getting back together with the girl of your dreams, knowing for a fact she's going to fuck you over and break your heart again.
If it was the best lay you ever had, even though she might, the experience makes it worth it.

ME1 is so good. The pacing and dialogue of the opening is so perfect. Then you go into the codex and listen to the entries with the announcers wonderful voice! The whole thing is just…. Perfect

Neil Ross is the codex voice over. He has done a ton of voice over work over the years, lot of 80s stuff like Transformers the Movie and GI Joe in particular.

Allandor

Well, thx to setting the country to new Zealand, I have played it for a few hours now. Still love ME1 but they really should have made the door openings in the citadel faster. ME1 originally needed this to load something from the disc, but the should be over with HDDs. EA please make those doors open faster

Still like the atmosphere Mass Effect. They should really make a sequel to Andromeda but a better one. Or at least bring out a dlc to end the open story. Still liked the game even though it had its flaws.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
150 hours vs 11 hours?

Seems like a no brainer to me, but since they are both single player it's not like you are going to miss the meta or fall behind.
In all fairness, not everyone has the time or patience to stick with something for 150 hours. Entertainment comes in many ways.

I finished ME1 back in the day but there is no way I can commit to the rest of them these days.

Kagey K

Banned
In all fairness, not everyone has the time or patience to stick with something for 150 hours. Entertainment comes in many ways.

I finished ME1 back in the day but there is no way I can commit to the rest of them these days.
That's fine. But if you think you don't have the time or the patience for a game, why not wait until it goes on sale less than a month after (and enjoy the portion of the game you might play) at a decently proportional price?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I got stuck on a wall in the first mission, heh. Managed to jank my way out, but was touch and go. I forgot how rough around the edges the gameplay was in ME1 was in general.

The visuals are of course much improved but it's not that impressive, at least ME1 isn't. The Uncharted remasters were better but that isn't really saying much. I figure ME2 and 3 will be better.

Having fun though. I forgot so much about the story of 1 that it almost feels new at times. Fragments come rushing back in bits and pieces.

I'll buy this for the first game alone. I really love it, but trying to play it on PC was not a very good experience before this remaster...

No native controller support, and the combat feels really dated. Sure, there's a controller mod but it's nowhere near perfect.

They seem to have improved the combat and gameplay somewhat so together with 4k and controller support it's a no-brainer for me. Or maybe I'll play it on PS5, whatever.

The second and third games can fuck off though. Especially ME3, what a disaster.

Lack of controller support does not mean it wasnt good on PC. Of course it didnt have pad support, its a pc game from the times when people played pc games as pc games were intended to be played. The game is infinitely better with mouse and keyboard anyway. Otherwise its a night and day superior experience to the one you had on consoles until now in every way.

Lack of controller support does not mean it wasnt good on PC. Of course it didnt have pad support, its a pc game from the times when people played pc games as pc games were intended to be played. The game is infinitely better with mouse and keyboard anyway. Otherwise its a night and day superior experience to the one you had on consoles until now in every way.
Let's disagree then. I played it on Xbox 360 with a controller and prefer that in every way. Mouse and keyboard is complete shit for me, and there's no reason for the original game to lack gamepad support after all these years since it worked great on the 360.

Let's disagree then. I played it on Xbox 360 with a controller and prefer that in every way. Mouse and keyboard is complete shit for me, and there's no reason for the original game to lack gamepad support after all these years since it worked great on the 360.

Theres nothing to disagree. You might have a personal preference for pad. But m/kb is objectivelly vastly better in every way. Its profoundly better in this series. We're not even talking about the usual stuff, how its better to aim, react, track enemies with m/kb. The entire inventory management, weapon management, squad management - thats all a click away with m/kb while you're endlessly browsing through lists and icons with a pad. Then we get to the gameplay, you are constantly stoping the game when using a power, pulling up a radial wheel, browsing through all the powers until you reach the one you want then selecting it and closing the radial menu. With m/kb you will map all the powers to the quickbar and you're using them on the fly, while shooting and moving. Its a ridiculously better gameplay experience with m/kb than a pad. Its one of the most pronounced differences i can think off in any game

Shmunter

Theres nothing to disagree. You might have a personal preference for pad. But m/kb is objectivelly vastly better in every way. Its profoundly better in this series. We're not even talking about the usual stuff, how its better to aim, react, track enemies with m/kb. The entire inventory management, weapon management, squad management - thats all a click away with m/kb while you're endlessly browsing through lists and icons with a pad. Then we get to the gameplay, you are constantly stoping the game when using a power, pulling up a radial wheel, browsing through all the powers until you reach the one you want then selecting it and closing the radial menu. With m/kb you will map all the powers to the quickbar and you're using them on the fly, while shooting and moving. Its a ridiculously better gameplay experience with m/kb than a pad. Its one of the most pronounced differences i can think off in any game
It’s totally not dork using m/kb on your comfy sofa…..see……

images

Fortunately I don't need your permission to have a different opinion 😊

I would never play a third-person game with mouse + keyboard. I think that playing that kind of games with a controller, in my couch, is vastly superior in every single way. This is my opinion, yes. I'm sorry if this is news for you, but yes, one can disagree on this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Vastly better in every way? I don't think so and I am a PC gamer for 25 years and I really dont see what is so exciting in having to precisely aim with mouse. Like what? If aiming is the challenge then it's questionable.

Points that are imo better with controller:
-comfortable in hands and better arms position.
-all buttons are there
-haptics
-analog movement
-analog triggers (racing)
-Triggers feel more like a gun
-no annoying mouse click sound
-no worries about mousepad

Meanwhile with mouse and keyboard you get:
-faster and more precise aim
-many more buttons

I know it's a hyperbole but cmon. Your statement is even worse. And I don't have a horse in this. I have ps5 and had all other consoles. I have 3080 pc, Razer viper ultimate mouse and yes - I finished village on it due to easier headshots.

But still. There are many benefits to controller if you are more open to it. You don't necessarily need auto aim either but if it's there, you can get comfy with controller and focus on real gameplay mechanics rather than just aiming heqdshots

Shmunter

Fortunately I don't need your permission to have a different opinion 😊

I would never play a third-person game with mouse + keyboard. I think that playing that kind of games with a controller, in my couch, is vastly superior in every single way. This is my opinion, yes. I'm sorry if this is news for you, but yes, one can disagree on this.

Vastly better in every way? I don't think so and I am a PC gamer for 25 years and I really dont see what is so exciting in having to precisely aim with mouse. Like what? If aiming is the challenge then it's questionable.

-all buttons are there
-haptics
-analog movement

-many more buttons

I know it's a hyperbole but cmon. Your statement is even worse. And I don't have a horse in this. I have ps5 and had all other consoles. I have 3080 pc, Razer viper ultimate mouse and yes - I finished village on it due to easier headshots.

But still. There are many benefits to controller if you are more open to it. You don't necessarily need auto aim either but if it's there, you can get comfy with controller and focus on real gameplay mechanics rather than just aiming heqdshots

You guys clearly are missing the CouchMaster (tm) 2000 in your lives

-all buttons are there
-haptics
-analog movement

-many more buttons

yes, i know you are a pc gamer since 1997 because you say it in every post you make on this website. All buttons are there ? Annoying mousepad ? Triggers feel like a gun ? I am laying out concrete aspects that make m/kb vastly better in Mass Effect in particular an you're writing about mouse clicks and mouse pads being annoying.

Its pretty clear neither you nor the person ive responded to play much with m\kb and have a preference for controllers. Which is fine. This kind of discussions usually never go well because people are responding from an emotional point and are completely uninformed about the actual advantages of m/kb. Your post is sufficient evidence.

Top Bottom