• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition | Official reveal trailer

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes! Never played Mass Effects so I'll definitely pick this for PS5.
Good series. A big space opera. Lots of NPCs, choose your battle buddies.

Make note, it's one part action and doing quests, and one part dialogue trees, which affects your story (good guy vs bad guy). So if you're someone who hates cut scenes during the talking parts you might not like it. From what I remember, you just skip through talking parts fast if you dont give a shit about the outcome and want to just keep on gaming. Think of it like Skyrim or Fallout where you can (if you want) just keep clicking if you don't care about the talking results.

ME 1 is a bit more RPG-ish, has some really annoying and outdated gameplay elements like the moon buggy sections.

ME 2 was streamlined and had more action.

Barely played 3.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Hmm given they actually made a Legendary Edition for the Mass Effect trilogy I wonder if Bioware will also do the same for Dragon Age?

Or dare I even speak it, Kotor?

Last edited:

Ascend

Hmm given they actually made a Legendary Edition for the Mass Effect trilogy I wonder if Bioware will also do the same for Dragon Age?

Or dare I even speak it, Kotor?
That would be awesome. Although... I'd prefer a remake of either of those, rather than a remaster.

Make note, it's one part action and doing quests, and one part dialogue trees, which affects your story (good guy vs bad guy). So if you're someone who hates cut scenes during the talking parts you might not like it. From what I remember, you just skip through talking parts fast if you dont give a shit about the outcome and want to just keep on gaming. Think of it like Skyrim or Fallout where you can (if you want) just keep clicking if you don't care about the talking results.

ME 1 is a bit more RPG-ish, has some really annoying and outdated gameplay elements like the moon buggy sections.

Barely played 3.

ME3 is underrated. It was good, even better than Mass Effect 2 gameplay wise. The problem was all the backlash due to the endings. Although, that backlash... was on another fucking level, Lmaaao.

I remember all the theories coming out arround the community, especially that Indoctrination theory that was bonkers. It was a fun goddam ride.

SpaceHorror

Can't wait for this! Mass Effect 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games from the 360/PS3 era. Hell, Mass Effect 1 is one of the few games I completed more than once since probably the N64 days. Never got around to beating 3 but I have no excuse not to now.

Barely played 3.
Witcher 3 and FF7 are my favorite games of all time and I liked MGS4 with it's cutscenes (one time is enough though) so I think I'll be good with the talking shit 👌🏻
Especially if they update ME 1's gamplay elements.

I have actually no idea why I didn't originally play Mass Effects..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Witcher 3 and FF7 are my favorite games of all time and I liked MGS4 with it's cutscenes (one time is enough though) so I think I'll be good with the talking shit 👌🏻
Especially if they update ME 1's gamplay elements.

I have actually no idea why I didn't originally play Mass Effects..
Since you're good with cut scenes all the better. Dialogue choices also affect your NPC followers too.

Last edited:

Ascend

Fbg3wif.jpeg

N72saBF.jpeg

vYLohyJ.jpeg

WTOITXd.jpeg

bxynSp1.jpeg

3f0fPZb.jpeg

Looking forward to this.
I never played the original as I didn't have a 360 at the time (I was PS3 only until the Slim revision) and it being updating with better controls sounds great. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Ascend

Looking forward to this.
I never played the original as I didn't have a 360 at the time (I was PS3 only until the Slim revision) and it being updating with better controls sounds great. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
Unfortunately, you'll never experience the game the same way if you played ME2 before ME1.

Oh man the feels from that trailer, damn Mass Effect always got the best trailers. I hate to subject myself to this but guess I am revisiting the trilogy after all these years. Looking forward to seeing my hot blonde femshep back in action and giving ole Harbinger a wet willy were the damn sun doesn't shine.

I nearly descended into complete insanitay and was almost gonna buy the Mass Effect Legendary Cache which comes with a 1:1 replica of Shepards helmet. But at the end of the day it is just more clutter and I moved to digital games for a damn reason. Just wish the release wasn't another 3 months away

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How many hours does it take to finish all of them including side quests? 😅
I don't know. I stuck with a couple for the whole games. I don't remember if I was forced to get rid of some or not due to the story. In RPGs I always find my fav and try to last as long as possible and finish the game. I don't try to splice up my game time with NPCs to finish all quests. With the way the game progresses, I'm not even sure you can do every quest if the story progresses a certain way where you cant go back.

Maybe others can answer your question about overall quest availability and timing.

I did my share of side quests and stuff and the game has a good amount of content. You aren't going to plow through the game in a weekend thats for sure! :)

Last edited:
To me this looks like the kind of remaster that is given the absolute bare minimum to bring the games as they exist into current day at the lowest acceptable level.

I mean they haven’t even done any work to link the games together you just choose mass effect 1 on the menu then mass effect 2 etc.

In the day of raytracing to not put that feature in on older graphics engine to really give the game a new look I feel really disappointed. I could probably deal with the older graphics if it had that realistic lighting and I’m sure there is plenty of overhead on next gen consoles and pc to run this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To me this looks like the kind of remaster that is given the absolute bare minimum to bring the games as they exist into current day at the lowest acceptable level.

I mean they haven’t even done any work to link the games together you just choose mass effect 1 on the menu then mass effect 2 etc.

In the day of raytracing to not put that feature in on older graphics engine to really give the game a new look I feel really disappointed. I could probably deal with the older graphics if it had that realistic lighting and I’m sure there is plenty of overhead on next gen consoles and pc to run this.
If this is true, Bioware and the contracted out studios will have worked on the game for maybe a year tops by the time the game releases on May 14.

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition is being developed by BioWare with assistance from Abstraction Games[2] and Blind Squirrel Games, will be published by Electronic Arts. BioWare had previously discussed developing a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy in 2014,[4] but did not not start work on the project until months leading up to its announcement in 2020.[1] Abstraction Games was contracted to assist with the adaptation of each game for newer consoles, and help with optimizations and improvements, mostly with regards to graphics.[2]

Legendary Edition was officially announced on November 7, 2020, which is also known as "N7 Day", a date declared by BioWare as an annual celebration of the Mass Effect franchise. In the announcement, Casey Hudson, who served as the original creative director for all three titles, summarized, "Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form."[1] However, as they progressed, BioWare found that they had invested the most work in bringing the aged Mass Effect 1 up-to-date, and compared the final product to a remake, while the other two games in the Legendary Editions were still mostly remasters.[5]

The compilation will be released for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on May 14, 2021. It will also have forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.[5]

Hugare

Serious question: what remasters have you guys been playing that are so much better than this?

Bioshock Collection? Ezio Collection? Arkham Collection? Dark Souls Remastered?

Hell, even the Nathan Drake Collection and MGS Collection, both made by Bluepoint, they just bumped the resolution, FPS and improved textures a bit.

Were you guys expecting something like the "Mafia Remake" for 3 huge games + DLC ? For $60? Dont know if naive or just dumb.

hussar16

looks the same lighting wise ,ea are really lazy considering saints row 3 ,batman and others have made their remasters with modern graohics, this is still stuck in 2010 but with higher textures

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The trailer sort or left me thinking they did the bare minimum. It wasn't until I came here and saw the comparison shots and read about gameplay changes that I realized this was done with some care. It's definitely not a bare minimum release, and it seems like a good value to me.

Sure, they could have done more and really blown this out, but this is acceptable. Hell, I'd love for my favorite series to get this treatment. Do this for Metal Gear Solid - any of them - and I'll be kissing your feet.

Raytracing would be an awesome addition though. Maybe they can make that happen down the line?

Last edited:

hussar16

saints row 3 remade the lighting while this remaster only added some lens flare , bare mininum and they want 60$ this is like those lazy remasters on early ps4

McCheese

I don't know.

We already have decent versions of these games on PC, nobody asked for lens flares and making every area more yellow. From what I can see, they have really done the bare minimum in order to make a quick buck and fill the cash void left by Andromeda and Anthem.

If a game needed a ground-up remaster it's Andromeda, there were good ideas under that shitty execution. I'd support a Andromeda redux over corpse digging games made by talent long since gone from the bioware studios, it can't be any worse than the original, unlike these remasters could be

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh man the feels from that trailer, damn Mass Effect always got the best trailers. I hate to subject myself to this but guess I am revisiting the trilogy after all these years. Looking forward to seeing my hot blonde femshep back in action and giving ole Harbinger a wet willy were the damn sun doesn't shine.

I nearly descended into complete insanitay and was almost gonna buy the Mass Effect Legendary Cache which comes with a 1:1 replica of Shepards helmet. But at the end of the day it is just more clutter and I moved to digital games for a damn reason. Just wish the release wasn't another 3 months away
Not to.mention the 150usd legendary editoon doesnt come with the game.

Ovek

7Member7
This is great for people who have never played Mass Effect before, but for me a with hundreds and hundreds of hours in the original trilogy it doesn’t do enough for me to buy it.

Lupingosei

Banned
That article says they didn't change the character model, just the scene where the camera is on her ass.

Which still sucks, but thats not exactly a nerf.
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

What use is a great ass, when you can not see it anymore?

Top Bottom