• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition | Official reveal trailer

TheContact

Let's be honest, if they were going to make gameplay updates to improve ME1 combat they would have talked about it by now. All I expect them to do is make the textures 4k and that's about it.

i think they're on record saying they aren't making any gameplay changes. they're updating the visuals / frame rate and that appears to be it

Ascend

i think they're on record saying they aren't making any gameplay changes. they're updating the visuals / frame rate and that appears to be it
This was the last message;

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects, and technical features of three enormous games. Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It’s been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms. Having the opportunity to remaster the trilogy means that the fruits of a decade of our work will live on, and will be experienced better and clearer than ever before.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs – all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD. It will be available in Spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

Yeah... No indication of gameplay changes. It would be such a hugely missed opportunity...

TheContact

This was the last message;

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects, and technical features of three enormous games. Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It’s been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms. Having the opportunity to remaster the trilogy means that the fruits of a decade of our work will live on, and will be experienced better and clearer than ever before.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs – all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD. It will be available in Spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

Yeah... No indication of gameplay changes. It would be such a hugely missed opportunity...

i'm fine with no gameplay changes. people should experience the game as it was, but with better visuals. when people start "remaking" games it just fucks everything up (ff7)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Maybe some news next week:

unknown.png

Ascend

looks the same as my ps3 version
I definitely expected better....

The updated trilogy launches May 14 on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation®5, as well as on PC via Origin and Steam.

One person is all that stands between humanity and the greatest threat it’s ever faced. Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition. Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs – remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

Experience an amazingly rich and detailed universe where your decisions have profound consequences on the action and the outcome.

RELIVE THE CINEMATIC SAGA: Heart-pounding action meets gripping interactive storytelling where you decide how your unique story unfolds.
Three Games – One Launcher: Play through the single-player base content and over 40 DLC from all three games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs.
Remastered for a New Generation: Experience the trilogy in 4K Ultra HD with enhanced performance, visuals, and graphics, all available in HDR.
Visual Improvements on All Three Games: Updates include enhanced models, shaders, FX, lighting, and depth of field.

EXPERIENCE THE LEGEND OF SHEPARD: Create and customize your own character, from appearance and skills to a personalized arsenal then lead your elite recon squad across a galaxy in turmoil.
New Shepard Customizations: With improved hair, makeup, eye color and skin tones you can create your Shepard in a unified character creator with all options available across the full trilogy, or choose to play as the iconic Femshep from Mass Effect 3 now available in all titles.
Gameplay Enhancements for the First Mass Effect™ Game: Enjoy improved aiming and weapons balance, SFX, input/controls, squad behavior, cover behavior, and gameplay cameras.

REFLECT ON YOUR CHOICES: Your choices seamlessly travel from one game to the next. Each decision you make will control the outcome of every mission, every relationship, every battle – and even the fate of the galaxy itself.
Performance Mode Options: Supports ultra-high refresh rates on PC, and offers a choice between ""Favorite Quality"" for increased resolution or ""Favor Framerate"" to boost your FPS on consoles.

INCLUDED CONTENT: Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition includes single-player base content for all three titles (Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3), your favorite single-player story DLC, promo weapons, armors, and packs:
• Bring Down the Sky
• Genesis
• Zaeed – The Price of Revenge
• Kasumi – Stolen Memory
• Lair of the Shadow Broker
• Firewalker Pack
• Overlord
• Normandy Crash Site
• Arrival
• Genesis 2
• From Ashes
• Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
• Leviathan
• Omega
• Citadel
• Equalizer Pack
• Aegis Pack
• Firepower Pack
• Cerberus Weapons and Armor
• Arc Projector
• ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
• ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 2
• ME3 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
• Firefight Pack
• Groundside Resistance Pack
• Recon Operations Pack
• Collector's Weapon and Armor
• Terminus Weapon and Armor
• M-21 Incisor
• Blood Dragon Armor
• Inferno Armor
• Recon Hood
• Sentry Interface
• Umbra Visor
• N7 Warfare Gear
• AT-12 Raider
• Chakram Launcher
• M-55 Argus
• M-90 Indra
• Reckoner Knight Armor
• N7 Collector's Edition Pack

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So they basically upped the res and that's it. As barebones as it gets. To be expected. Bioware never fails to disappoint. Meh, meh and meh.
watch the comparisons posted on their site. they updated the lighting and pretty much redid all the assets.

still not as impressive as anthem but its more than just a res upgrade.

bxrz

May's competition:

Returnal - April 30th

RE: 8 - May 7th

Mass Effect legendary edition - May 14th

Deathloop - May 21st

lucius

I guess the improved load times for console would be nice . I am already replaying them off SSD with the PC controller mods, no visual mods but I still like it more than X1X BC versions. I will still get it eventually for PS5.

Rikkori

As expected, for the PC version the only upgrade is the convenience of an easier install & native gamepad support, but visually the mods have been doing better for years now. Plus all the gameplay fixes and changes and all sorts of goodies that are done through mods. Meh.

And it's taking them years to do this "remaster"? Fucking hell, what a dumpster fire of a studio.

Last edited:

ButchCat

I want shinier graphics as much as the next guy but they did say it's a remaster not a remake, I don't why know everyone is complaining this is not a remake. Cleaning up the image quality and bumping up framerate and res with some minor gameplay changes here and there is as good as it gets.

Now the one gripe I have from that trailer is that they didn't show us a lot of ME1 footage which was suspicious.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
It looks good enough for a playthrough - HDR, faster loading times, improved textures and gameplay - it's neat remaster.
Obviously it's not a Remake but it was never advertised as such and as a package to get people who didn't play a great Mass Effect game in 7 years - it's a no brainer.

Ascend

Mass Effect 1, by far the most dated-looking of the trilogy, has undergone a particularly extensive rework, with dramatic improvements to some of its environments. The results on planets such as Eden Prime, Ilos and Feros look on first impression far closer to a full remake. ME1 has also seen other tweaks, including fan-requested improvements to the Mako vehicle's often wildly-erratic driving experience, various combat changes and much faster Citadel lifts (thank goodness).

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I guess I'm in the minority cause I think it looks great. I'm grabbing it for sure. Me1 never came to PS4 (I think?) So this is great for me. I so wish the mp has been included. It was fantastic

I can't find the comparison pics on mobile, anyone able to post them?

Last edited:

Ascend

Taken from earlier posted Eurogamer article;

Things that I'm glad are there;

• 60 FPS on PC and consoles from PS4 Pro/Xbox One Series X forwards
  • On PC, it adds support for controllers
  • On PC, it adds 21:9 widescreen displays (I especially love this one)
  • All three games and all single-player DLCs are included
  • ME1 improvements to the Mako
  • ME1 combat changes (including gun balancing, XP balancing, AI changes)
  • ME1 Faster Citadel lifts
  • ME1 improved saved points
  • ME1 modernized HUD
  • Remastered character models for the whole trilogy
  • Expanded universal character creator

And I must say, this looks dope;
Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition__EDENPRIME_3840x2160.jpg

Things I wish were different;
  • There is no multiplayer mode in the Legendery Edition
  • No additional story elements were added that were cut before
  • There is no mention of specific things that required fixing (like the Conrad bug, the Rachni choice, the unfinished Dark Energy plot etc).

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

• ME1 modernized HUD

• There is no mention of specific things that required fixing (like the Conrad bug, the Rachni choice, the unfinished Dark Energy plot etc).

You expect them to fix ANYTHING that isnt an easy mod? That people have already done themselves?

HAHAHAHA

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This was 8 years and two console generations ago (for ME3).

Nothing Bioware has done since then has come close to getting as good as this.

Come on they couldn't do better?

I know it's EA and it's Bioware, disappointment is the standard for those companies but pleeeease they couldn't treat ME:Trilogy with some dignity could they?

And yes I am salty that the multiplayer was removed.

edit: on seeing some additional screenshots I am feeling better about the overall look of the game, like the one Ascend Ascend posted.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

As expected, for the PC version the only upgrade is the convenience of an easier install & native gamepad support, but visually the mods have been doing better for years now. Plus all the gameplay fixes and changes and all sorts of goodies that are done through mods. Meh.

And it's taking them years to do this "remaster"? Fucking hell, what a dumpster fire of a studio.
My thoughts exactly. Pretty disappointing all things considered.

We'll see how things shape up on release once people get their hands on it, but yeah.

Last edited:
My favorite franchise of all time. Bring it on!!

Although, Mass Effect 2>Mass Effect 1>>>>Mass Effect 3.

But if we add the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer to the comparison,

Mass Effect 2>Mass Effect 3>Mass Effect 1.

It is a goddam shame the Remaster won't include the ME3 Multiplayer. Arguable one of the best and most completed cop-op multiplayers of all times.

SinDelta

• ME1 modernized HUD

...Where is the literal bleeding red lightning struck sky that ships meer presence produces?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
ME at 60 fps will be sweet.

Show of hands who played ME 1 on 360. Mako driving, big fights and final boss scene must had been at 15 fps tops.

RAIDEN1

This will be enough to wipe the memory of the debacle that was Andromeda until the next chapter is out, then expect all the bells and next gen whistles you want as it will be built ground up for those systems...

Top Bottom