• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

Quasicat

Thanks for posting the article. What I’m wondering, is how this affects battle readiness. You could do extra missions and resource mining, but in the end online battles were often needed to get that rating up to get the good ending.

MiguelItUp

Man, I was originally excited about this, but now I don't know. Some of it somehow looks worse than the originals. I think I'd rather live with the memories I have of the original trilogy instead of replacing them with this.

Lone Wolf

Thanks for posting the article. What I’m wondering, is how this affects battle readiness. You could do extra missions and resource mining, but in the end online battles were often needed to get that rating up to get the good ending.
That was patched for the last Didn’t need the war assets from multiplayer anymore to get the “ good” ending.

seinfeld-leaving.gif

amigastar

Installing Mass Effect 2 right now. Can't wait for the legendary edition, never played it for too long, also.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Sounds great. I've been waiting for this remaster for several years. Glad they finally got it done.

They did the right thing by doing so much work on it, rather than just issue a slapdash remaster. Mass Effect is one of Bioware's best series. After Andromeda soiled its image, this may help to restore a little of the former glory and help build PR/hope for the next game.

I replayed the first game once or twice; that was my favorite of the bunch. I look forward to playing through the whole series again. I think it's been nearly 10 years since I played it. Also, I remember thinking at the time that Lair of the Shadow Broker was the best DLC I'd ever played. Looking forward to revisiting that, too.

My only quandry is whether to get it on PS4 Pro or wait for PS5. Hopefully by May, I'll have a PS5 and the question will be moot. I don't expect there will be huge differences between the two versions either way.

Last edited:

Quasicat

That was patched for the last Didn’t need the war assets from multiplayer anymore to get the “ good” ending.
That’s cool! I really haven’t done a complete playthrough for several years. I did a paragon and a renegade playthrough and was done. I have been back online a few times since then, but that’s just because all of my friends had it and Fortnite was still too new for us to care.

Pallas

I can’t wait, going to preorder this bad boy as soon as I’m able. I don’t like the red sky not being in the ME1 remake but I do enjoy the graphic facelift otherwise. I haven’t notice or seen yet but will ME1 still use the infinite ammo/overheat system unlike 2 and 3 that had ammo/thermal clips?

DLC:

Bring Down the Sky
Genesis
Zaeed – The Price of Revenge
Kasumi – Stolen Memory
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Firewalker Pack
Overlord
Normandy Crash Site
Arrival
Genesis 2
From Ashes
Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
Leviathan
Omega
Citadel
Equalizer Pack
Aegis Pack
Firepower Pack
Cerberus Weapons and Armor
Arc Projector
ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
ME2 Alternate Appearance Pack 2
ME3 Alternate Appearance Pack 1
Firefight Pack
Groundside Resistance Pack
Recon Operations Pack
Collector's Weapon and Armor
Terminus Weapon and Armor
M-21 Incisor
Blood Dragon Armor
Inferno Armor
Recon Hood
Sentry Interface
Umbra Visor
N7 Warfare Gear
AT-12 Raider
Chakram Launcher
M-55 Argus
M-90 Indra
Reckoner Knight Armor
N7 Collector's Edition Pack

It lacks Pinacle Station of ME1, Bioware lost the data of that little DLC and they couldn't even include it on the PS3 release years ago. That said that DLC was totally forgetable and less than 1h of story content. The only good thing is that it was the only way to see the Earth from the moon.

Pinnacle station was not made by BioWare.
It was made by Demiurge Studios, so I’m wondering if that’s why it wasn’t included. It didn’t really add anything story wise like Bring Down the Sky dlc and was pretty much forgotten.

OnionSnake

Banned
God I can't wait. I played ME1 and 2 so many times yet never played 3 because of all the fervor. Going to binge all 3 in order that weekend.

Edit: if its not 60fps on PS5 im definitely going PC though

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
No mention of "next gen", It better run at 60fps on PS5/XsX. Cause it's apparently 30 on PS4/XB1.
I’d like to know how because a PC with PS4 level specs can run ME3 above 60fps at 1440p and I know because that’s how I ran it years ago when I played it.

Ascend

Does the PC version have controller support this time? Never quite understood the omission.
Yes it does.

God I can't wait. I played ME1 and 2 so many times yet never played 3 because of all the fervor. Going to binge all 3 in order that weekend.

It's 60 fps for the PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One X and Xbox Series S/X.

Soltype

I don't mind some of the changes, I just hope they keep the cooler color tone from the original. That picture of Feros looks way too warm for my taste.

Hugare

Lol at people thinking ME1 didn’t already have a ton of lens flair
I roll my eyes everytime. The game always looked like it came straight out of a JJ Abrams movie.

The upgrades to ME 1 are awesome, imo

Sure, sometimes it will look different, so someone will always go "it looked better before". Its inevitable. We had the same shit with Demon's Souls.

I was expecting just a bump in resolution and FPS, so I'm very surprised to see how much care they put into remastering the first game

I'm beyond excited. My favorite franchise of all time.

Andodalf

Banned
I roll my eyes everytime. The game always looked like it came straight out of a JJ Abrams movie.

The upgrades to ME 1 are awesome, imo

Sure, sometimes it will look different, so someone will always go "it looked better before". Its inevitable. We had the same shit with Demon's Souls.

I was expecting just a bump in resolution and FPS, so I'm very surprised to see how much care they put into remastering the first game

I'm beyond excited. My favorite franchise of all time.

My man. Honestly I think a lot of peoples comments are just their 10 year old memories speaking.

You do realize that you missed an awesome title because people were pissed off that the ending was not more elaborated but instead got 3 color filters for 3 endings. The 45 hour story rollercoaster was as good as any ME.

Same for Andromeda. It didn't get shit on because its a terrible game, but because of terrible facial animations that they fixed a month later. Sure story wasnt as gripping but it was an OK title.

The fact that people to this day talk about the ending of ME3 tells you how stupid people are and cant get over the fact that they didn't get what THEY wanted.

OnionSnake

Banned
You do realize that you missed an awesome title because people were pissed off that the ending was not more elaborated but instead got 3 color filters for 3 endings. The 45 hour story rollercoaster was as good as any ME.

Same for Andromeda. It didn't get shit on because its a terrible game, but because of terrible facial animations that they fixed a month later. Sure story wasnt as gripping but it was an OK title.

The fact that people to this day talk about the ending of ME3 tells you how stupid people are and cant get over the fact that they didn't get what THEY wanted.
You might be right about ME3, no idea, but I did play Andromeda and that game was a shit not just for the bad animations my man

SpartanN92

Banned
Looks awesome! Just trying to decide if I want this for Xbox Series X or PC 😬
Controller support for PC I think will make or break the purchase.

Antwix

Source? I haven't seen anywhere that it's 60fps.

Gamespot

New Performance & Visuals​

The Legendary Edition will be playable in 4K HDR, running at 60 FPS on Xbox One X, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 Pro, and PS5

VG247

As for the visual & presentational changes, here’s what to expect:

• 4K Ultra HD, HDR & 60fps presentation for all three games. 60 fps will be available on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, as well as new-gen consoles.

Zeeed

I'll probably end up replaying this on PC at a later date when the price goes down.
But a heads up: Mass Effect Legendary Edition improves the original trilogy... but not enough for us to replay it

Let's make sure we don't go overboard on expectations:
The real bad news? Because the game is being designed for last-gen consoles, the Xbox One and PS4, there’s not much in the way of new features.

It’s great that some lingering issues – like the awkward movement from Mass Effect 1 – have been fixed, but it would’ve meant more had BioWare added things like ray-tracing, Dolby Atmos audio or PS5 Tempest Audio support as well. Instead, it’s just the original trilogy but prettier and smoother.

Part of the problem is that BioWare and EA decided to keep with the older Unreal Engine 3 instead of porting the game over to the more robust, feature-rich Unreal Engine 4 that would’ve allowed the team to add current-gen features. The game does its best, McCord and project director Mac Walters say, to push the engine to its limits, but it’s still the same engine that the games used when they were in development more than 15 years ago.

The results, from what we saw during a one-hour online preview event, look much like you’d expect: the same exact characters and environments you saw a decade ago, now with fewer jagged edges and higher framerates. To that point, there’s no never-before-seen cutting room floor content here or real incentive for folks who played the originals to come back, unless it’s just to admire the new character and environment models.

Last edited:

Hugare

Looks like garbage, not every studio is Bluepoint, the GOAT.
No one with more than 2 brain cells were expecting a Bluepoint-eske remaster from this collection.

Each game is huge, + DLCs.

The work that they've done with the first game + the other 2 games at 4k60 + DLCs is enough to justify $60

Since you mentioned Bluepoint: they've done pretty much the same thing with the Uncharted Collection, maybe even less. And charged $60 for that.

I always loved ME1's more central and zoomed out camera. Sadly it looks like they're using 2 & 3's style now

EtO57CEXEAkMd9X
I’m ok with it here, but when Splinter Cell did it, it ruined the franchise for me.

Remember the “film grain” option they used in ME1 to hide the aliasing. Yea. I hope that’s gone too.

Radical_3d

For 60€ they should have done more. This should cost 30€. Not to mention that there are no specific optimisations for the next gen.

Shmunter

I only ever loved the first one. Finished the second one with a mixed experience and dropped the 3rd multiple times.

And I’m not even an rpg guy, there was some other magic in a bottle there.

The Shepard

Looks like garbage, not every studio is Bluepoint, the GOAT.

Remake vs Remaster though. One costs £70 for one game and the other costs £60 for 3. I'd rather them give it the bluepoint remake treatment but it would cost £60-70 per game, Then just imagine the comments above who are saying £60 for the trilogy is to pricey, they'd have to remortgage there houses or something with how dramatic there sounding.

Last edited:

royox

For 60€ they should have done more. This should cost 30€. Not to mention that there are no specific optimisations for the next gen.

What more? The overhauled ME1's combat, UI, aiming system, inventory, drastically improved graphics and drastically decreased loading times. Plus the upgrade on ME2 and ME3 graphics, 60FPS on PS4 pro and Xbox OneX, 4K, and inclusion of all DLC of all 3 games.

Maybe 60$ it's a bit too much and 40-50 would be a better price for a remaster of 3 games..but we live in the timeline where Nintendo released 3 a N64 rom, a Gamecube Rom and a Wii ISO in a pack for 60 bucks so that's what we have.

Top Bottom