• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Launch Update Is Reportedly Huge, Patch Notes Leak

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mass Effect Legendary Edition, which packages up upgraded remasters of the first three Mass Effect games as well as (almost) all of the DLC, is coming on May 14. However, it appears we already know what's coming in the game's day one update: performance tweaks, lighting improvements, and quite vague "miscellaneous content fixes."

First noticed by Twisted Voxel, Mass Effect Legendary Edition's Patch 1.1 has already gone live on PlayStation servers. On the update's page on Orbis Patches, it comes in at 11.8 GB and brings with it a set of changes that isn't too surprising for a day one patch.

The patch notes, which are quite sparse, reveal a handful of tweaks to make the game run better. These include stability improvements, bug fixes to prevent crashes, and lighting improvements. Finally, the patch also brings benefits to ambient occlusion, a graphics feature that increases the realism of shadows and lighting.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will be playable on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC, although there isn't a specific PS5 or Xbox Series X|S version just yet.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Patch 1.1 Notes:​

• Improves performance
  • Improves stability and fixes crashes
  • Improvements to Ambient Occlusion (AO)
  • Lighting improvements--both visual and performance-related
  • Miscellaneous content fixes

Hugare

2021 and people are still surprised by shit like this?

Games arent launched at a "finished" state anymore. Period. Theres always something to be improved.

They are way more complex than they've ever been before. So devs work until the last minute to deliver the best game possible.

That's the reason for Day One patches. Basically every game has one.

ZehDon

Shifted from "day one" to "wait for the reviews".

Could just be standard 2021 game release practice running its course. Or, could be the result of a low-effort cash grab where most of the work is coughed up at the last possible minute. Fingers crossed it's the former.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Games arent launched at a "finished" state anymore. Period. Theres always something to be improved.

They are way more complex than they've ever been before. So devs work until the last minute to deliver the best game possible.

The only ones still surprised by this are the ones who defend the version 1.0 coasters known as discs.

Am I the only one who saw the side by side's of the original vs the remaster and couldn't tell which even looked better?

And I'm a Mass Effect fan, but the new look of it.... wasn't impressed.

I saw in some of the pictures they had shown, the original looked better (better mood settings) than those in the Remastered versions.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Ffs they had all the time in the world to prepare for the remasters and they still fuck it up and have to work hard on releasing big bugs from the launch version.

I wasn't going to buy the trilogy on day one because of the censorship, but stuff like this still makes me mad.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
This industry is becoming more and more of a joke. Release a game that "only" gets a Metacritic score of 85? Devs fired. A score of 80? Studio closed. A score of 90? Sorry, we need to restructure to stay competitive and maximize gains. Devs sent to B team to help on other stuff, studio closed. Management gets six million dollar bonus.

A remaster of a game that has been out for almost fifteen years needs a huge day one patch.... It's just ridiculous, man.

Cars release finished. TV releases finished. Books release finished. Music releases finished. Movies release finished. TV shows release finished. General software releases finished. Sure, it gets patched when issues arise, but it's not "release MS Office without printer support and patch it in five months later" or "MS Word spelling checker becomes pay to use with patch 1.2 after reviews are out".

Games release with entire levels, episodes or maps missing, that the devs promise will come later, but then they don't. Anthem was supposed to be this awesome, future changing thing. We know what happened.

Battlefield drops season passes and promise everything will be free. Then, what constitutes "everything" is cut down 80%.

And that shit with review embargoes. FUCK that! FUCK the gaming websites and YouTube shills who get free Cyberpunk chairs and tell you how awesome and mold breaking Cyberpunk is, and when the game launches, it's "oops, I had no idea". I wish every reviewer was like Mack from Worth a Buy. He calls shit out the second he sees it and doesn't give a fuck about review copies. I'd rather read/watch an honest review than a day one review, thank you.

Did Roger Ebert care about review embargoes? No, he saw a movie he thought was shit, and called it out.

The gaming industry is full of lies, fraud, grief and exploitation. It is shameful and it's awful.

I really really miss the 1990s, when computer gaming was less mature and spoiled by greed and corruption. And it was a lot more creative, too. And games were complete, and you didn't need an internet connection to get fixes for a broken game you bought on release.

There's a reason why I'm spending a lot more time replaying my older games: they don't disappoint me.

Nico_D

After struggling through with otherwise entertaining Disco Elysium, I decided I won't buy at launch anything that comes with a 1st day patch. Because if there's that, there's guaranteed to be something else too.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
After struggling through with otherwise entertaining Disco Elysium, I decided I won't buy at launch anything that comes with a 1st day patch. Because if there's that, there's guaranteed to be something else too.
A game without any day1 patches can also end up being a potential minefield. It can still have major issues and the devs simply may have ignored preparing well for its launch.

The best way is to wait at least a few days and browse gaf/reddit to read PLAYER'S opinions on the state of the game.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
They need to start announcing game release dates after a game goes gold. This way the devs don't have to ship it incomplete to meet a deadline that was set years before.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
wwe wrestling GIF

BlackTron

I have managed to not play Mass Effect yet. I tried once on an old 360 and the system froze on me, guess it missed its window.

Sounds like a good remaster to play, when the digital version is on sale. No thanks for this physical copy lol.

I totally agree with that. My only comment here is that it is ok to have patches... Actually, this is something good as the developers are trying to deliver the best possible experience. However, it is not like these games are brand new releases. So, what I would expect is that what comes in the disk is in a very good play state. By the size of the day one patch I have concerns that this is not the case here...

Last edited:

Retinoid

On the one hand, I do have sympathy for developers and the need to meet deadlines because of ballooning dev costs, which essentially necessitates the need for Day 1 patches to fix any issues that couldn't be patched during the formal development process. But on the other, it does rub me up the wrong the way that the version that exists on disc is basically a shell of the full product and opens up a ton of issues down the line when servers for the patches go offline.

I know this is just a Remaster - so logic would dictate that the budget wasn't super high - but it's still concerning they couldn't have these issues fixed during QA.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I totally agree with that. My only comment here is that it is ok to have patches... Actually, this is something good as the developers are trying to deliver the best possible experience. However, it is not like these games are brand new releases. So, what I would expect is that what comes in the disk is in a very good play state. By the size of the day one patch I have concerns that this is not the case here...
The size of a patch doesn't say much these days. It mostly shows the structure of a game's file system and how they need to replace some pretty large files even for minimal changes.

Last edited:

mhirano

Pretty much every game disc has shipped like that since PS360. It's interesting to me that anyone would be surprised by this.
Just popped New Super Mario U Switch version (Wii U Remaster) that I just bought.
Asked for it to search for updates (as I always do) and it told me retail version was the latest version.
So this shows us that there is hope for developers shipping complete games on disc/carts.

Azurro

Banned
Great.
Another 'definitive edition' game whose disc will futurely be unplayeable without internet access.

This is a silly mentality, games aren't monolithic, stand alone applications anymore. They are updated, patched and have content added, they have been like this for more than a decade.

They are live products, as opposed to those SNES and Genesis cartridges. What else did you expect? For the developers to never touch a game after going gold?

Last edited:

mhirano

This is a silly mentality, games aren't monolithic, stand alone applications anymore. They are updated, patched and have content added, they have been like this for more than a decade.

They are live products, as opposed to those SNES and Genesis cartridges. What else did you expect? For the developers to never touch a game after going gold?
They are remasters of already finished games with the multiplayer component cut down.
Can't see the living product in this situation.

Azurro

Banned
They are remasters of already finished games with the multiplayer component cut down.
Can't see the living product in this situation.

So you don't want them to patch their product? Never fix any bugs? Never tweak any settings?

Azurro

Banned
I surely do.
But a day one 11GB+ is a bit more than that don't you think?

No, I don't, projects continue to be worked on until the day of release, it's a day 1 patch, big deal.

Again, do you want them to avoid fixing bugs, fix performance problems or add features?

Last edited:

Quezacolt

It's funny how some people use the very small sample of examples to "prove" that disk games come unfinished or broken or whatever.

Case in point, most if not all games i played these past 3 gens, i always interrupt the updates, or ignore them and play the game while it downloads in the background.

Know how many of those games were broken? 1, wich was cyberpunk, a game that is still broken even with patches.

Andodalf

Banned
If people stopped pre ordering shit and giving money in advance then stuff would be finished, here it’s just we’ve got the money now fuck it just release it we’ll fix it later.

So you would be happier to not have the patch? They just quit on the game a couple months early while disks are being printed? You’d prefer to keep the game breaking bugs forever like in the old days? Weird hill to die on

They need to start announcing game release dates after a game goes gold. This way rthe devs don't have to ship it incomplete to meet a deadline that was set years before.

I mean would you feel better if there was no patch? Legit? You want them to give up? Just pick a date and quit. Game breaking bug printed on the disk? Have to keep it. It’s not fair for an imaginary person with no internet if we fix it!

Or does every game need 100 years of QA by a team of 1000 to replicate what the launch with millions of copies would be like? I mean that’s just a small 100 year delay with a few hindered milly added to the budget, no big deal! And if it’s one of the bugs that can’t be fixed, just cancel the game!

Neogaf is such a mistake.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

The problem here is that the gamers got used to big day 1 patches so the studios abuse that like hell. They had all the time in the world to polish the trilogy and they're still going to release it in a state requiring 10GB+ of day1 fixes. I understand polishing some minor things after launch or responding to the community's feedback, but the size of the patch suggests a ton of last minute changes and fixes. Sure it's not the end of the world, but it's still annoying to a guy like me. It's always rushing things to release the product at the earliest date, not when it's properly finished.

Last edited:
The size of a patch doesn't say much these days. It mostly shows the structure of a game's file system and how they need to replace some pretty large files even for minimal changes.

Plus this is essentially three games in one. It could be just high texture pack that wasnt ready before.

zaanan

Banned
Am I the only one who saw the side by side's of the original vs the remaster and couldn't tell which even looked better?

And I'm a Mass Effect fan, but the new look of it.... wasn't impressed.
I liked the new character look better, but the environment less

Azurro

Banned
The problem here is that the gamers got used to big day 1 patches so the studios abuse that like hell. They had all the time in the world to polish the trilogy and they're still going to release it in a state requiring 10GB+ of day1 fixes. I understand polishing some minor things after launch or responding to the community's feedback, but the size of the patch suggests a ton of last minute changes and fixes. Sure it's not the end of the world, but it's still annoying to a guy like me. It's always rushing things to release the product at the earliest date, not when it's properly finished.

That's how projects work, if you don't set a release date, features creep up, tasks go unfinished, paperwork doesn't get done, marketing has no idea when to begin to send out review copies, schedule advertising and so on.

It's just part of life, people in these teams care about what they are doing and will spend every last available minute working on it if the deadline is coming. Why is a 11 GB annoying for you? You can't wait a bit for the download to be done?

brian0057

Banned
The game is not even out yet and there's already a humongous patch announced for it.
Jesus fucking Christ, is it too much to ask that they include it with the yet unreleased title?

If your game is in such unplayable state that you have to patch it even before launch, just delay it. Nobody will be mad.
Have we learned nothing from the last 5 years?

Miles708

The game is not even out yet and there's already a humongous patch announced for it.
Jesus fucking Christ, is it too much to ask that they include it with the yet unreleased title?

If your game is in such unplayable state that you have to patch it even before launch, just delay it. Nobody will be mad.
Have we learned nothing from the last 5 years?

Thanks, people here embraced GAAS so much they don't even remember (or know) what a complete product is.

Top Bottom