• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Changes - Original vs. Remastered

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition features over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors and packs.

Edit 05/04/2021:
  • More casual outfits are available in ME2
  • There is a universal game launcher, although every game is still a separate application
  • Each game’s save files are separate
  • Photo mode for all three games
  • New achievements
  • The frame rate is no longer locked
  • Pre-rendered Cinematics have been re-rendered to 4K (where possible) or AI upscaled from the original uncompressed files
More info here

Previously:

The following overview lists gameplay changes we made specifically to the first Mass Effect, with the goal of bringing it a bit more in line with the rest of the trilogy:
  • Shepard can now sprint out of combat
  • Melee attacks are now mapped to a button press rather than automatically occurring based on proximity to an enemy
  • Weapon accuracy and handling has been significantly improved
    • Reticle bloom is more controlled
    • Weapon sway removed from sniper rifles
    • Aiming down sights/”tight aim” camera view has been improved
    • Improved aim assist for target acquisition
  • All relevant enemies now take headshot damage in the first game
    • Previously some did not, including humanoid enemies
  • Ammo mods (Anti-Organic, Anti-Synthetic, etc.) can now drop throughout the whole game
    • Previously, these stopped dropping at higher player levels
    • They are now also available to purchase from merchants
  • All weapons can be used by any class without penalty
    • Specializations (the ability to train/upgrade certain weapons) are still class-specific
  • Weapons cool down much faster
  • Medi-gel usage has been improved
    • Base cooldown reduced
    • Levelling benefits increased
    • Increased Liara’s bonus to cooldowns
  • Inventory management improvements
    • Items can now be flagged as “Junk”
    • All Junk items can be converted into Omni-gel or sold to merchants at once
    • Inventory and stores now have sorting functionality
  • Some abilities have been rebalanced
  • Weapon powers (i.e., those that are unlocked on each weapon type’s skill tree) have been improved:
    • Effectiveness/strength is increased (duration reduced in some cases)
    • Heat now resets on power activation

XP gained during the first game has been rebalanced for better consistency, especially towards the game’s end. Players who complete most aspects of the game should be able to more reliably get to higher levels on a single playthrough rather than needing to play through a second time to do so.
Additionally, there is no longer a level cap on a first playthrough.
As a final gunplay change, we also tweaked ammunition in Mass Effect 2.
We found that ammo was spawning too scarcely in the original game, so we’ve increased the drop rate for ammo in ME2, particularly when using a sniper rifle since that had a reduced ammo drop rate in the original release.

The Mako​

But of course, we’ve got to talk about the (in)famous M-35 Mako. This legendary vehicle from the first Mass Effect has been “calibrated” to perform better than ever.
In the original game, the physics tuning for the Mako made it feel too light and bouncy, even at times becoming uncontrollable, but it’s now a much smoother ride while still being “loveable” like before. (Yes, you can still drive off cliffs to your heart’s content).

Its functionally has also been improved with faster shield recharging and new thrusters added to the rear, allowing for a speed boost when you’re inevitably trying to scale up the side of a near-vertical cliff. (We all do it.)
This boost’s recharge is independent from the jump jets on the vehicle’s underside, so you can use both at once or separately.

These are the calibrations you can expect to experience when driving the Mako:

• Improved handling
  • Physics tuning improved to feel “weightier” and slide around less
  • Improved camera controls
  • Resolved issues preventing the Mako from accurately aiming at lower angles
  • Shields recharge faster
  • New thrusters added for a speed boost
  • Its cooldown is separate from the jump jets’
  • The XP penalty while in the Mako has been removed
  • Touching lava no longer results in an instant Mission Failure and instead deals damage over time

Unifying & modernizing the trilogy​

For the Legendary Edition, our goal was to tune up the trilogy and make it more consistent from game to game while honoring the things that made each unique.

For example, we’ve unified Shepard’s customization options in the character creator and even added some new options, like additional skin tones and hairstyles. You can use the same character creator code (seen bottom-left in the image below) across all three games, meaning your Shepard can now have a consistent appearance across the trilogy, or you can choose to change their appearance at the start of each title. Customization options and character appearances have also been improved with updated textures and hair models.

We’ve also added the Mass Effect: Genesis comics by Dark Horse into the base experience before Mass Effect 2 and 3 as an optional experience so players can make choices from previous games no matter where they choose to start.

Of course, the Legendary Edition includes a variety of additional enhancements. Here are some of the things you can look forward to:
  • New unified launcher for all three games
    • Includes trilogy-wide settings for subtitles and languages
    • Saves are still unique to each game and can be managed independently of each other
  • Updated character creator options, as mentioned above
    • FemShep from Mass Effect 3 is the new default female option in all three games (the original FemShep design is still available as a preset option)
  • Trophies across the trilogy have been updated
    • New trophies have been added to the trilogy
    • Progress for some now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
      • Trophies that were streamlined into one and made redundant were removed
    • A number of trophies have had their objectives/descriptions and/or names updated
  • Integrated weapons and armor DLC packs
    • Weapons and armor DLC packs are now integrated naturally into the game; they’re obtainable via research or by purchasing them from merchants as you progress through the game, rather than being immediately unlocked from the start. This ensures overall balance and progression across ME2 and ME3
    • Recon Hood (ME2) and Cerberus Ajax Armor (ME3) are available at the start of each game
  • Additional gameplay & Quality of life improvements
    • Audio is remixed and enhanced across all games
    • Hundreds of legacy bugs from the original releases are fixed

51097512546_ca9a4fd067_h.jpg
51098054783_71f4b1e242_h.jpg
51097606057_4c1b46650b_h.jpg
51097512691_60eb927ff6_h.jpg

Last edited:
Get rid of the vehicle bullshit and then you're cooking with gas, Bioware.

Edit: Miranda? Isn't that ME2? Sorry been a while.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Itll come to GP eventually no need to buy.

Or just play the originals now on Game Pass. I replayed it a few months ago and it holds up fine, especially if this new one is still only 30 fps. I don't see any improvements that make a repurchase worthwhile unless you're a PlayStation only gamer.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Or just play the originals now on Game Pass. I replayed it a few months ago and it holds up fine, especially since this new one is still only 30 fps. I don't see any improvements that make a repurchase worthwhile unless you're a PlayStation only gamer.
Is the remake only 30fps?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Quick tip for ME2 if you go solider class using guns
This is hazy as I played it 10 years ago or so. But later in the game you find a powerful battle rifle. There is a perk or add-in that reduces recoil. I forget if it's skill or a part. But combine the gun with this and it slices through enemies.

Googling it, it might be M-15 Vindicator, plus the Accuracy Improvement Upgrade

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I wonder why they decided not to alter the ending of change it in anyway?

Did anyone actually like it? It's the biggest stain on the series.

I didn't mind the ending.. too much but of all things not to change

Ovek

7Member7

Shit isn't it, that being said it they might do something to better lead in to Mass Effect 4.

harmny

Banned
- fuck you x developer. we are never going to forgive you for releasing that scam of a game last time. no more money from me!

- guys i know we promised to fix our last game and canceled that fix two years later but here is a remaster of one of our most beloved ips!

- CAN'T WAIT FUCKING HYPED!

and then you wonder why i say cdpr should just take the money and run. gamers have goldfish memory.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Looks like some cool improvements, but I don't have time to play through these again. I could play through ME1 as it has the best story.
The first always gave me a sci-fi noir vibe. It's kind of like a detective story in a way. Sheppard and his crew searching for clues, interrogating people, not being beholden to law, super moody music. Awesome game, my personal favorite in the series.

LMJ

- fuck you x developer. we are never going to forgive you for releasing that scam of a game last time. no more money from me!

- guys i know we promised to fix our last game and canceled that fix two years later but here is a remaster of one of our most beloved ips!

- CAN'T WAIT FUCKING HYPED!

and then you wonder why i say cdpr should just take the money and run. gamers have goldfish memory.

I'm not going to pretend that Andromeda is perfect, but it is leaps and bounds better than what launched, and I have no doubt that CDPR will work tirelessly to rectify CP2077 for the next few years

I agree whole heartedly about the "fickle nature" of gamers memories though lol

harmny

Banned
I'm not going to pretend that Andromeda is perfect, but it is leaps and bounds better than what launched, and I have no doubt that CDPR will work tirelessly to rectify CP2077 for the next few years

I agree whole heartedly about the "fickle nature" of gamers memories though lol

and how about anthem?

juego_de_acci_n_y_aventuras_de_bioware-4784212.jpg

they didn't even finish act 01 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

and it was act 01 not act 1. they were telling you that there was going to be at least an act 10.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

I mean, what are they going to do? One of the fan fiction tier cop out endings like mind control that actually have no resolution and still need a real ending?

Short of having every game developer ever work on unique endings for the rest of their lives, and having a few thousand to ship with the final game, people were going to complain. There's no way to end a series like ME that doesn't suck, because ME was never about the ending or the answers, it was about the journey and characters.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is Mirandas arse still in the game?

Hopefully the changes are improvements and not to make the difficulty easier. I do really wish they had have dropped ammo entirely and gone to the cool down method of ME1, it was more tactical
They actually removed a lot of the shots containing Miranda's ass. Not kidding. Look it up. Woke at it's worst.

Remember when female video game characters were attractive and badass and no one complained?

Stuart360

Gold Member
Looks a sizeable difference to be honest. probably nothing that would stand out initially when first playing, but you really see it when its side by side.
Fair play to EA, you would of thought it would just be a rez and framerate jump for them.

Trogdor1123

I mean, what are they going to do? One of the fan fiction tier cop out endings like mind control that actually have no resolution and still need a real ending?

Short of having every game developer ever work on unique endings for the rest of their lives, and having a few thousand to ship with the final game, people were going to complain. There's no way to end a series like ME that doesn't suck, because ME was never about the ending or the answers, it was about the journey and characters.
There is also another mass effect being made so we could get the explanation there.

LMJ

and how about anthem?

juego_de_acci_n_y_aventuras_de_bioware-4784212.jpg

they didn't even finish act 01 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

and it was act 01 not act 1. they were telling you that there was going to be at least an act 10.

yeah but that's another whole can of bees (worms aren't that bad lol)

I mean Anthem was a disaster and many of us saw the writing on the wall after the "supposed" real time trailer...

Andromeda was a full game (a buggy ass game) that was pushed onto an inexperienced team and rushed out by a shit Publisher, but the team did thier best to fix all of this and rectify their botched product.

Andodalf

Banned
There is also another mass effect being made so we could get the explanation there.

It's going to be very interesting to see what they do. ME:A went far away to avoid consequences. I kind of think the next game will be far into a rebuilt society with either the destroy ending or the do nothing ending as cannon.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If it is 60fps and HDR, I'm in. Great memories with these games. Will probably be pretty nostalgic, because the atmosphere could be so thick at times, from the mix of music and skybox.

Fredrik

This doesn’t get me overly excited tbh even though it’s one of my all time favorite trilogies. It’s a 4K™ remaster they need side-by-side shots of so we can notice what has changed. Could’ve done a lot more imo. But 60fps will be nice!

Top Bottom