• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary comparison and dev overview

McCheese

So weird, it looks like it went from first-gen xbox 360 title to late-gen xbox 360 title; seems odd putting effort into something that isn't a major indistinguishable upgrade. They've replaced some textures it seems, but have tried to "upgrade" most of the game by throwing a new lighting and materials system over the original textures and models, not sure it's really paid off to be honest. Even the face work where they've clearly redone the textures are not great by modern standards.

Last edited:
I'm just glad to have another quality seventh-gen series available on modern consoles. Don't really care about their "improvements." They should remaster Dragon Age: Origins next and then just put poor Bioware out of its misery.

Last edited:

proandrad

When the worst thing people have to say about a EA remaster is that they don't like the change in lighting and contrast; I call that a win.

It seems like I'm in the minority, but I find most changes to be an improvement. It also makes things more consistent within the trilogy, ME is just too old and visualy different from the other two games.

I'm with you. I do agree with some that a few shots we've seen here do have an impact in lessening the mood generated by the original artists. But overall, there are quality improvements in textures, and hopefully, in frame-rate and bug fixes as well.

Aesius

Muahahah of course the reeeetards are loosing their shit for the asari chick having bigger boobs compared to the original :ROFLMAO:
What's even the logic of that level of wokeism?

They act like all "real" women are flat as boards and that breasts are imaginary, hypersexualized concepts of femininity conjured up by evil misogynistic shitlords.

Or are they angry because the sight of breasts is triggering to trans women?

GymWolf

What's even the logic of that level of wokeism?

They act like all "real" women are flat as boards and that breasts are imaginary, hypersexualized concepts of femininity conjured up by evil misogynistic shitlords.

Or are they angry because the sight of breasts is triggering to trans women?
Projection.

Some of them want actual tits, some want to fuck some tits.

Also if you score enough woke points with posts like that, you get a purple toaster.

cromofo

I know they've cut out the Miranda ass shots, but she's gonna look fine as fuck with improved textures and models

makaveli60

I fully get that the tone changes might put people off, but this seems like it got some love and not just a cashgrab like the Crysis remaster I played recently. Surprising from EA. I like it, time to replay one of my fondest memories of gaming.

RAIDEN1

It could have been worse, Need For Speed recently got a remaster but barebones updates...(initially anyway..) and saying that though there hasn't been a better NFS game released since it originally came out in 2011

SafeOrAlone

Banned
"Minimal effort"?? Get your head out yo ass, boy! Save those comments for the Ninja Gaiden "Master Collection" thread - a few doors down.

Upgraded textures, assets, lighting, frames, resolution.
Improved combat, HUD, menus, controls.
I'd kill for my favorite games to get this type of love.
Some of y'all expected too much.

I just hope none of you are the same ones complaining about all the effort/resources Sony are putting into The Last of Us Remake.

Last edited:

Braag

Honestly it looks quite good for a remaster effort. You stare at your crew a lot in the game during conversations so I'm glad they've improved the models quite a bit.

tQaVzR4.jpg

GjCFEIB.jpg

SirTerry-T

Ahm what is this... they removed butt shots but pimped Liaras Boobs?
3rQbqep.jpg
The ambient occlusion they have baked in to her diffuse texture there looks way too strong. For all the obvious limitations of the original asset, the character sat better in the scene.
All these newly authored assets that the PR blurb talks about are like the bare minimum you could do. They make it sound like much more work than this sort of asset updating actually is.

JayK47

I have no intention to buy this unless reviews say it is worth it and the mod community adds Miranda's ass back in. I figure $10 on EA Origin sale seems about right.

Ozzie666

Any chance this game has received some censorship or alterations to represent the current times? Much like Grand Theft Auto, there are some things in the trilogy that may not go down well in our current environment. Personally, I pray this game remains unchanged. However, part of me is expecting some quiet language changes or alterations to avoid creating any drama.

Miles708

So weird, it looks like it went from first-gen xbox 360 title to late-gen xbox 360 title; seems odd putting effort into something that isn't a major indistinguishable upgrade. They've replaced some textures it seems, but have tried to "upgrade" most of the game by throwing a new lighting and materials system over the original textures and models, not sure it's really paid off to be honest. Even the face work where they've clearly redone the textures are not great by modern standards.

You have to take into account that they're not rewriting the entire game engine, so they're still limited with what they have. More modern rendering and shading techniques are not possible, so you have to improve where and when possible.

Upgrading it all to modern standards is probably not possible without some serious rewriting of the underlying code, which is probably a bit much to ask from a remaster.

It looks like a good job to me.

Last edited:

DavJay

Original will always look better to some because of nostalgia. Take it off please and stop being blind.

FrankieSab

Bergoglio : <The game is the PS4/XB1 versions in BC mode. PS4 didn't support 120 fps.>

You really thing that XBox supported 120 fps? Come on, the CPU was the same shit.

elliot5

Bergoglio : <The game is the PS4/XB1 versions in BC mode. PS4 didn't support 120 fps.>

You really thing that XBox supported 120 fps? Come on, the CPU was the same shit.
m8, what are you talking about? The Xbox Series X supports a 120hz mode for this game because of how backwards compatibility works on Xbox. PS5 requires a natively compiled version, but ME:L is not that. It's a PS4 game running in BC, so there's no 120hz option. Xbox One games running on Series can run at 120hz, which is why it's available. Has nothing to do with the CPUs.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Shame there isn’t native next gen versions this game with tempest and haptics would have been sweet.
Tricky but could be the first game I buy for my series X.

TheMan

So no upgraded models or anything. Looks alright I suppose. I'll wait for reviews though- with gamepass I could just go and play the trilogy right now so...

FrankieSab

E elliot5

<m8, what are you talking about? The Xbox Series X supports a 120hz mode for this game because of how backwards compatibility works on Xbox. PS5 requires a natively compiled version, but ME:L is not that. It's a PS4 game running in BC, so there's no 120hz option. Xbox One games running on Series can run at 120hz, which is why it's available. Has nothing to do with the CPUs.>

Ok so the reason it works is not that the PS4 did not support 120. It's that BC of PS5 does not. Makes more sense!

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox remains framerate king it seems. Looking forward to playing ME3 for the first time.

Arun1910

I'm sure the 2 people with 120hz tvs will appreciate this.

It's funny how console wars are about whose dick is bigger when it comes to numbers yet I doubt many will be able to utilise this 120hz option anyway.

Fredrik

I don’t like some changes but it’s still an update for one of my favorite game series from that era, can’t see any scenario where I skip this, even if they have made Miranda’s ass totally flat or whatever.

Might not buy it day 1 though.

What are the chances that it’ll appear on EA Play/Gamepass?

Top Bottom