• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: LE performed "well above" expectations - EA will "continue to invest in the IP".

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.retbit.com/2021/08/05/m...sales-were-well-above-the-expectations-of-ea/

“The launch of Mass Effect Legendary Edition, the remaster of the first three Mass Effect games, reignited the passion of fans around the world, driving sales performance well above our expectations,” EA CEO Andrew Wilson said during the company’s Q1 earnings call.

Wilson also mentioned the success of another big-name contributor to the publisher’s financial success, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

“We are going to continue to invest in both of these franchises as well as more of our amazing IP.”

SCB3

Well thanks Andrew, good to see you ruining Bioware completely to invest in ME further really helped EA

So what about Vicaral next? Is big sales of the Dead Space remake going to let you invest further with Dead Space, until you get bored of Single Player games again for FIFA and Madden

anthony2690

Banned
I hope the next mass effect is more like mass effect 2, it's by far the best in the series.
Mass effect 1 is just okay, and after 2, 3 just feels like a major step down in terms of characters/story.
The gameplay is better though in 3.

But mass effect 2 is just on another level imo :)

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Well thanks Andrew, good to see you ruining Bioware completely to invest in ME further really helped EA

So what about Vicaral next? Is big sales of the Dead Space remake going to let you invest further with Dead Space, until you get bored of Single Player games again for FIFA and Madden
The only mistake EA made was to give Bioware full creative freedom on Andromeda and Anthem, which Bioware wasted entirely thanks to the studio's issues when it comes to project planning and management.

EA is to blame for many things, but not for the terrible spot Bioware has put themselves in.

Kev Kev

im so stoked to play this one day

i just tried to play andromeda for the first time. i went it with very little expectations, even figured i might like it now that the heat has died down and maybe they had a chance to work out bugs and what not. nope. didnt like it at all. i was very disappointed. oh well i tried.

ME2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but im really looking forward to playing ME1 with the updated graphics and all.

Spaceman292

Banned
Source: https://www.retbit.com/2021/08/05/m...sales-were-well-above-the-expectations-of-ea/

“The launch of Mass Effect Legendary Edition, the remaster of the first three Mass Effect games, reignited the passion of fans around the world, driving sales performance well above our expectations,” EA CEO Andrew Wilson said during the company’s Q1 earnings call.

Wilson also mentioned the success of another big-name contributor to the publisher’s financial success, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

“We are going to continue to invest in both of these franchises as well as more of our amazing IP.”
"Our most popular games are really popular."
:O

xrnzaaas

I gladly bought the Legendary Edition because of nostalgia and to have all of the DLC's in one place, but I'm not interested in playing games from modern BioWare. The studio doesn't have many talented devs anymore, instead they're composed of not so talented but diverse and very progressive staff.

Fluo

This just makes me livid, first they choke the life out of Bioware, now they are amazed that they're sitting on golden IPs and doing fuck all with them.

Lucky8BB

Banned
I have couple of issues with MA LE.
-Even at 60fps there's clear input lag (it's easier to aim in original games)
-AA looks blurry
-I have sounds problems
-lightmaps looks very blocky like in x360 version
-there's something wrong with SDR color grading.

Espcially character skin tones looks kinda fake now (too colorful). It almost looks like incorrect HDR to SDR conversion. Guys, I'm sure some of you have played this game in HDR, so can you notice improvements in character skin colors in HDR?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
EA: Alright guys, time to move in MTX.

Hip Hop Reaction GIF

Eh. After Andromeda I don’t really have any faith in a new ME being any good. EA systematically ruined most of the good franchises they started on 360/PS3 and I have little to no faith I any game of theirs being good in general.

I don’t even have much of an interest in the LE either. I have all the games/dlc BC on the Xbox, and while I loved ME1/2 and 3 was pretty good, I can wait to get the LE when it’s like $20.

wolywood

Having missed out on the ME trilogy when it was originally released I was super excited to pick up the Legendary Edition and experience what I'm constantly being told is one of the greatest series in gaming history.

However I'm about 10 hours into ME1 and am really finding it a chore to complete and a struggle to keep interested in. I understand some tweaks were made to modernize the combat etc but it still fees super clunky and dated, driving the mako over mostly empty planets is incredibly dull and the side quests are (for the most part) copy paste fetch this-shoot that affairs. Please tell me ME2 and 3 are big improvements and worth finishing 1 for.

Roufianos

Glad to hear, I absolutely loved it and enjoyed it more than than the first time around.

As others have said though, I have huge doubts about the series going forward.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Having missed out on the ME trilogy when it was originally released I was super excited to pick up the Legendary Edition and experience what I'm constantly being told is one of the greatest series in gaming history.

However I'm about 10 hours into ME1 and am really finding it a chore to complete and a struggle to keep interested in. I understand some tweaks were made to modernize the combat etc but it still fees super clunky and dated, driving the mako over mostly empty planets is incredibly dull and the side quests are (for the most part) copy paste fetch this-shoot that affairs. Please tell me ME2 and 3 are big improvements and worth finishing 1 for.

They are. So much so. It's around the second half of Mass Effect 1 that it clicked for me. Stick with it until at least 2 to determine if you're into that. Turned into one of my favorite IPs after nearly quitting ME1 four times.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LOL remember when Andromeda was underwhelming, and everyone said “well, Andromeda was made by the BioWare B-team, their A-Team is working on Anthem!!”

Then Anthem sucked way harder than Andromeda, and they announced they’d be working on some major upgrade to fix all its problems. Then the director quit and they canned it.

Yeah… I expect absolutely nothing from BioWare anymore. I will be pleasantly surprised (and shocked) if they ever create anything good again.

LordCBH

EA: “wow I can’t believe people want well crafted experiences instead of the check box garbage we’ve been giving them.”

WitchHunter

Banned
"We are going to continue to invest in both of these franchises as well as more of our amazing IP."
ll translate:
invest - get unused, but suboptimal art assets - deemed by our artists back then as not suitable - and serve on a platter for the enthusiasts. No waste should be wasted!
franchise - overoptimized thing, a cashcow. meaning: squeeze more and more money out of the idiots who know the lore by heart

The only proper way is to leave the whole thing to rot and create a spinoff with Yvonne Strahovski as lead role.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yep, the gameplay is completely refined in 2 (at the detriment of making things a little too streamlined, but refined nontheless). In 3 there are even more refinements and its genuinely a fun 3rd person shooter.

Just push through mate, you can beat ME1 in like 15 hours casually. Hopefully you at least enjoy the story. The last few hours of ME1 are some of my favorite.

Hugare

I still think Inquistion and Andromeda aren't that bad. I actualy did enjoy Inquisition a lot...
Inquisition was good (tho GOTY worth it that year, yuck)

Andromeda was shit but it wasnt really "Bioware". It was made by a mobile developer, totaly different team that wasnt prepared for the job at all.

The real Bioware made one bad game: Anthem. And people shit on them regardless 'cause EA and shit.

I'll definitely give them the benefit of the doubt for now

NickFire

I'll never understand some of the EA thought process. Mass Effect was a golden goose franchise, but since they released a garbage game that got attention for non-gameplay reasons, they lowered expectations for the entire IP? Ridiculous. Another one is the Old Republic not hitting consoles. All you need is to use a trigger or bumper button as a modifier, and voila a entire second (or third) set of abilities can be unleased. No matter the excuses, the end result was akin to finding oil leaking from an undetected well in the backyard, and putting a cork in it instead of leasing the land to an oil company.

Top Bottom