• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Director Says Movie or TV Adaptation Is Basically Inevitable

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a recent interview with Mass Effect Legendary Edition project director Mac Walters, it is basically inevitable that such a thing will happen. Specifically, Walters is quoted as telling Business Insider that it is "not a matter of if, but when" an adaptation ends up happening.

"It's such an expansive world, and so many people I know in the TV and film industry have reached out to ask me when we're going to do it and saying we've got to do it," Walters told the outlet. He went on to compare side missions and the general structure of video games like Mass Effect as better fitting a television show rather than a movie. "If you're going to tell a story that's as fleshed out as Mass Effect," he said, "TV is the way to do it. There's a natural way it fits well with episodic content."

Harkonnen

Neo Member
If -when they do it, I would prefer so much they make movies. Side missions ? Episodic format ! Please, no.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Makes sense. Honestly seemed very obvious to me that the game took most of its inspiration from sci fi show structures of the time like SG1, BSG and X-Files.

Shmunter

There was this animated one already. Have not seen....

ZehDon

Gold Member
Cool, so we'll either get a two hour movie staring The Rock as Commander Sheppard with lots of explosions and shooting, or, we'll get a Netflix TV show where the crew of Normandy are all played by attractive 20-somethings who spend each episode on inter-personal conflicts that serve as heavy-handed metaphors of 2021 American-centric socio-economic issues, where every 4th episode has a poorly filmed shaky-cam "action scene". What a time to be alive...

BigBooper

Eh, it could be a nice spectacle show or movie, like new Star Wars, but the mainline story is scifi channel level of simple.

If the branched it off in episodes with an ever expanding plot, kind of a mix of Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5, yea it could definitely work. You have to have good writers though, and I don't feel like I've seen much good writing out of Hollywood recently.

Spaceman292

Banned
Well, there are plenty of other crappy sci fi shows that come out which have weirdly huge budgets. I don't see why Mass Effect can't have a shot. I just hope that it isn't about Shepherd etc. That story is too video gamey.

ZywyPL

Banned
Just be sure to put the real Miranda in it and we're good.

cf6cace0879df42379405c88e43c466a.jpg

So half the cast are going to be race swapped, all female characters will be lesbians and the reapers will symbolize toxic masculinity.

And evil Christians, don't forget the evil Christians, no Netflix movie/series is complete without them.

old-parts

Eh, it could be a nice spectacle show or movie, like new Star Wars, but the mainline story is scifi channel level of simple.

If the branched it off in episodes with an ever expanding plot, kind of a mix of Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5, yea it could definitely work. You have to have good writers though, and I don't feel like I've seen much good writing out of Hollywood recently.

Yeah ME is literally Star Wars from Biowares own words, they want a game with their own space magic, a lot of world building but very shallow/simple.

Most of the people responsible/capable of writing those past stories have retired and for those still working in the industry they wouldn't even be allowed anywhere near a project like this. These days In hollywood you must proclaim your loyalty to the woke orthodoxy and preferably be part of the alphabet people to even be in the writing room.

That's what happened to the terrible new-treks disco/picard which borrow heavily from ME as influence.

I doubt this will ever actually happen, EA has no new ME game to sell (probably years away) so they aren't going to burn through a ton of money for a live action production. The dev is just getting the usual smoke Hollywood blows someone's way to get them to spend money.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t trust gaming to movies or tv stuff, that said it’s just a matter of having the right director and some sort of big star to take 20 hours to play through the original Mass Effect and see the movie potential.

Top Bottom