• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda writer Samantha Wallschlaeger hired as new lead writer for Bloodlines 2

Riven326

Banned

Some interesting facts about this situation:

- She worked on ME: Andromeda in the past.
- She'll be taking over Brian Mitsoda's position in the company.
- She's the one responsible for canceling Chris Avellone from various upcoming games after sexual accusations against him.

Looks like another solid nail in the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 coffin.

NeedyDistantAsianporcupine-size_restricted.gif

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
When this trashfire bombs, remember why, and remember who to give your support to. Merit is not being rewarded in the industry right now. Activists who backstab genuine industry talent to rise on a pile of their corpses deserve less than nothing.
Mitsoda deserves better, actual talented people who made classics like him and Avellone being snubbed is actually infuriating. I don't know why they just don't band together and do a Kickstarter project of their own it'd get funded in a matter of hours.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've explained this before, most project managers who are in the media industry are far left leaning. They care little about well written stories and making money and more about agendas and narratives, mainly identity politics. She'll always have a place in the industry, no matter how bad her writing is or isn't, simply because she is also a far left leaning woman.
I mean, I would say that most people in the industry, outside of Hatred guys are probably left-leaning. Not far left, but left leaning. Art form are inherently left-leaning. Problem with like games nowadays is that you have to pass some pussy ass "purity trial" to be allowed to write games, which obviously only win those who never wrote anything.

xrnzaaas

Well, this is good time as any to get the original on steam.

Wont be touching this with a ten foot pole as I absolutely abhorred Andromeda.
Or, better yet, on GOG = it's DRM free. Plus if I remember right you can download the version with the latest unofficial patch already installed - very handy if you're lazy or not very skilled with that stuff.

Last edited:
Or, better yet, on GOG = it's DRM free. Plus if I remember right you can download the version with the latest unofficial patch already installed - very handy if you're lazy or not very skilled with that stuff.

I would, but I've had everything setup with steam and I did try GOG, but idk, couldn't get into wanting to use it predominantly.

But yeah, no, I've been eyeing the game for 2 years now and I'm aware of the unofficial patch.

Shouldn't be an issue to me to get it running.

Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated!

EDMIX

I know the game was delayed until 2021, but any news on any changes? Like is it coming to PS5 and Series X etc?

Fear of cancel culture

In Avellone's case, actual cancel culture, Samantha Wallcharger did accuse him of talking to her in an elevator (!), then replace him (though in a lead role). That's pretty vile.

Mitsoda was only betrayed by his managers, lucky him.

To Ellison's credit, it sounds like she didn't like the game post-Mitsoda and bailed, but who knows.

If the story is "finished," I honestly don't know why they have so many writers now (there's at least 3). It's not like they'll still be a studio after this.

Barakov

Gold Member

Some interesting facts about this situation:

- She worked on ME: Andromeda in the past.
- She'll be taking over Brian Mitsoda's position in the company.
- She's the one responsible for canceling Chris Avellone from various upcoming games after sexual accusations against him.

Looks like another solid nail in the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 coffin.

iu

Yeah, let's throw some fuel on this dumpster fire of a game.

cucuchu

Of Mass Effect Andromeda's approximately ZERO satisfactory features, the writing/story was certainly not one of them. I literally do not remember a single thing about the story, and that is usually the one & only thing I take away from even the worst of games.

Last edited:
Aw jeez lemme see here I wandar what most people are gunna say about thiiiiis hawww what the fuck are women doing in our hobby yarrrr waaarrr blaaaarrrrggghhhh
Gtfo with that tired bullshit narrative.

If it were Amy Hennig or any competent woman we'd be celebrating it. Some of our favorite games and series were produced, written or designed by women.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's the fact the writer in question wrote the universally panned trainwreck of Mass Effect Andromeda. This isn't a specific group who found the game and the writing to be shit. Check the vast majority of reviews, both critical and user.

The claim people are only apprehensive because she is a woman is a bizarre flex that you are taking. For example, most people consider Amy Hennig to be one of the best writers/directors. If Hennig got the writing position many would have their hype go through the roof for this game.

But, you play to the tired narrative you want to.

??? By that logic, most developers couldn't get hired if someone was trying to hire them based on how well the game did and not based on their actual talents as a whole. Mass Effect Andromeda had a shitload of issues technically, I personally didn't find anything wrong with the story. Granted, I'm not a huge Mass Effect fanboy and I'd say most of the games in that series imho have meh stories, I only really like the small stories about the characters you find and had no real issue with that portion of Mass Effect Andromeda. So looking at her background in terms of all the stuff that she wrote, I very much could see how she could do the job and get hired.

You also need to factor that maybe Amy didn't want to work on this game and had another project she was invested in, they maybe didn't have the money to even pay for such a writer or maybe what they were going for was based on something this Samantha person did in the past with writing.

I just don't buy that a team is hiring people solely based on how well a game did or didn't do. The industry is literally littered with folks that come from all over the industry from good to bad games. So I don't really get why someone wouldn't individually hire someone based on a game that was made by literally hundreds of people.

Top Bottom