• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Game Informer Details (Combat, story, more) [Up: All Info]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

I wonder how many of the assets from DA:I will make it over to ME:A. I know it's cost beneficial but I hope they don't go overboard with it and mostly use unique assets for ME:A.

As someone who's actually played DAI, I'm gonna nitpick and tell you that those basalt columns aren't the same.

The MEA ones are thinner and "sharper"

Bubble

Neo Member
A lot of you are asking about the lack of pause and play and powers as well as the conversation cameras.

From what I'm told, you can pause and switch weapons or use consumable items but powers are now in real time.

Concerning the camera being zoomed out like many conversations in DAI, there are some like that in the game but they're not nearly as plentiful. Most are your old fashioned up close convos.

It's good to hear that there will more cinematic conversations/close convos in Andromeda than in DAI. That was always something I liked about ME1 and ME2 (and Witcher 3, for a more recent example) because it made even the most minor of characters have personality.

And apparently, the Ryder twins can actually be of different ethnicities (which I thought they wouldn't), which is pretty damn cool.

Sou Da

Well Mac said they're never answering the "which color is canon" question if you needed more of a confirmation.

Also he confirmed Garrus as the best romance and said they're sent to andromeda after me2.

Also apparently one of the characters didn't volunteer for this.

There are no reapers in Andromeda

No communication with the Milky Way in this game.

There's some good in there, lotta joke questions. I'm surprised how laid back Mac is.

Also I knew devs hated the save import.

Yeah was an enjoyable video to be honest. I like that when asked about if there is a way of communicating with the Milky Way Galaxy he replies "not in this game" rather than outright saying no, meaning perhaps this could be a story beat for a sequel? Also he suggests that some previous characters might still be alive in the Milky Way, whilst you're in Andromeda. Just putting two and two together here and we could see some returning cast, either in this game or a sequel? I know they have said no for Andromeda but they could surprise us!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Spoiler-tagging this in case someone here doesn't wish to watch that vid.

I'm pretty surprised Mac straight-up said crewmembers and companions can't die in this game, heh.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
???

What does that have to do with anything.

Because it's a new game they can't start tracking your decisions going forward?

The game takes place in another galaxy, none of the characters are returning. What would be the point of save importing? Specially since the Arks left the Milky Way during ME2.

The game takes place in another galaxy, none of the characters are returning. What would be the point of save importing? Specially since the Arks left the Milky Way during ME2.

I think you're misunderstanding me here. I'm not asking for a save import from 1-3, I'm asking if there will be a Dragon Age Keep system that will keep track of your decisions in Andromeda and games going forward.

Spoiler-tagging this in case someone here doesn't wish to watch that vid.

I'm pretty surprised Mac straight-up said crewmembers and companions can't die in this game, heh.

They already had that in ME so people would expect it. Now its all about building more relationships first.

— why kill someone now when you can build player attachment to them and make it hurt more when you have to kill them later.

Also its easier for them to plan for sequels if they don't have to worry about who may/may not be dead at this stage

—Also I really want Andromeda to have a cool Dead Space style zero-G section or two.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I am all but convinced there will be no save transfer system in place. The expedition launches prior to ME3, even. Transferring storyline specifics from the year 2186 would make no sense.

It's only unfortunate because this means I must give up my years-long quest to demand that the system be titled "the Mass Relay."

Alas, someday the dream must end.

They already had that in ME so people would expect it. Now its all about building more relationships first.

— why kill someone now when you can build player attachment to them and make it hurt more when you have to kill them later.

Also its easier for them to plan for sequels if they don't have to worry about who may/may not be dead at this stage

Yeah, we'll see how it goes!

Yea the whole desert footage including that Rhino-like monster looked like something taken 1:1 from DA:I. The desert even has this same slightly comicy look to it.
Yeah, I really didn't like that environment in DA:I, so I hope ME:A doesn't have many similarities to that. In fact I didn't like any of the environments form DA:I but that's a discussion for another day.
Aren't those pillars hexagonal?

I mean even from those pics apart from the shape of individual pillars they don't look like "Oh we'll just take this group here..." :p I imagine the benefit of using Frostbite as a company wide engine now means they high quality titles can use assets in some fashion to make content creation easier and quicker. I doubt they'll use THAT many though, not everything is that applicable. I always liked the look of those pillars though...
As someone who's actually played DAI, I'm gonna nitpick and tell you that those basalt columns aren't the same.

The MEA ones are thinner and "sharper"
Well to be fair, these things were everywhere in DA:I and since I didn't like that game very much (the more I played the less I liked) I've developed a DA:I PTSD sort of thing for these pillars. So the moment that I saw them in trailer, my brain automatically recognized them as assets from DA:I.

What if Andromeda is the DA galaxy? :O
Now it all makes sense....

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I liked the Western Approach and the Forgotten Wastes (or whatever that late-game place is called). The region with the temple, though, might be the worst zone in the game.

In any case, I think Inquisition's big crime with its open world is just how little of it has any main-narrative relevance. I hope Andromeda adjusts this.

Colbert

Banned
Pretty much all of this was in ME3 except for inventory management (not huge loss there).
You really want to tell me that there was the same variety of weapons, mods and gear in ME3 as it were in ME1? There were tons of different types of weapons and gear just from a single manufacturer (with slightly different stats) in ME1. IMO ME1 was much more loot driven than any of the sequels. including ME3.

But I do not rule out that my memory on this is borked because I did not like ME3 at all. :)

Just saw the newer screenshots from the GI article (don't think I can link em here) and the design of the Tempest and art style of the Kett or precursor race's structures don't really seem very inspired. We'll see if things are any better once they actually decide to start providing video..

The dragon age rock textures in the desert stage really stick out like a sore thumb to me as well :(

I finally got around to reading this...After ME3 being complete shit I was going to just right this whole series off going further, but they seem to really be taking a lot of the complaints to heart. Sounds like so much of the gameplay issues with 3 have been addressed and we might have a game with the feeling of a vast galaxy again like we had with 1. Couple in everything they talk about for encounter design and I'm definitely interested again.

I still have no faith in mac walters to write a story, but this should at least be fun to play unlike ME3

denx

Yeah was an enjoyable video to be honest. I like that when asked about if there is a way of communicating with the Milky Way Galaxy he replies "not in this game" rather than outright saying no, meaning perhaps this could be a story beat for a sequel? Also he suggests that some previous characters might still be alive in the Milky Way, whilst you're in Andromeda. Just putting two and two together here and we could see some returning cast, either in this game or a sequel? I know they have said no for Andromeda but they could surprise us!

Nah, we won't see any old squadmates in this game, but considering opening a route to the Milky Way is the ultimate goal of the Andromeda Initiative we could see old squadmates in the sequels (and by that I mean Liara and Grunt. Everyone else is dead).

Nah, we won't see any old squadmates in this game, but considering opening a route to the Milky Way is the ultimate goal of the Andromeda Initiative we could see old squadmates in the sequels (and by that I mean Liara and Grunt. Everyone else is dead).

Yeah that seems more likely. :)

denx

You really want to tell me that there was the same variety of weapons, mods and gear in ME3 as it were in ME1? There were tons of different types of weapons and gear just from a single manufacturer (with slightly different stats) in ME1. IMO ME1 was much more loot driven than any of the sequels. including ME3.

But I do not rule out that my memory on this is borked because I did not like ME3 at all. :)

In ME3 multiplayer at least there's a decent variety of weapon and ammo mods. Can't tell you how that compares with ME1, ME2 or ME3 SP campaign honestly since I haven't played those in yonks.

Lt-47

You really want to tell me that there was the same variety of weapons, mods and gear in ME3 as it were in ME1? There were tons of different types of weapons and gear just from a single manufacturer (with slightly different stats) in ME1. IMO ME1 was much more loot driven than any of the sequels.

It had more loot but almost all of it had little to no effect on the way you played (just like the skill system). The only worth while ammo of the game were the cryo and high explosive one everything else looked cool but had negligible effects.

I wouldn't considered ME1 10 color swapped guns with slight variation of the 3 same stats to be meaningful loot variety. ME 3 has tons of different gun that all handle differently with actual customization ( various scope, seeing through smoke, shooting through objects...) plus the incremental upgrade of ME 1

Schlorgan

Well, now's your chance to play them again! :D

Just saw the newer screenshots from the GI article (don't think I can link em here) and the design of the Tempest and art style of the Kett or precursor race's structures don't really seem very inspired. We'll see if things are any better once they actually decide to start providing video..

The dragon age rock textures in the desert stage really stick out like a sore thumb to me as well :(

The Tempest is supposed to be this games version of the Normandy ship, so it looks quite similar to that on purpose. I haven't seen the Kett or Precursor race beyond what's shown in the recent trailer, but just from the glimpses there it's obvious they're going to be very generic and unimaginative.

They're completely swerving the fuck out of ME3

VCTD9s1.gif

Colbert

Banned
In ME3 multiplayer at least there's a decent variety of weapon and ammo mods. Can't tell you how that compares with ME1, ME2 or ME3 SP campaign honestly since I haven't played those in yonks.

MP indeed was loot driven. But I was referencing SP.

It had more loot but almost all of it had little to no effect on the way you played (just like the skill system). The only worth while ammo of the game were the cryo and high explosive one everything else looked cool but had negligible effects.

I wouldn't considered ME1 10 color swapped guns with slight variation of the 3 same stats to be meaningful loot variety. ME 3 has tons of different gun that all handle differently with actual customization ( various scope, seeing through smoke, shooting through objects...) plus the incremental upgrade of ME 1

As I said maybe its because my memory is borked due my preference for the first ME.

Well, now's your chance to play them again! :D

Already on my external HDD but first I have to finish Blue Dragon and Skyrim again. Not to forget that there will be FFXV by the end of this month iirc.

kurahador

I wonder if there will be nudity in this. Kinda want them to go crazy with the aliens genitalia, but I guess that's too much.

IMO ME1 was much more loot driven than any of the sequels. including ME3.

Yeah but it was worse for it. The slight stat boosts from generation, dozens or hundreds of nearly identical weapons and constant inventory juggling were the worst kind of itemization possible. Especially when it becomes apparent once you get Spectre gear that you can just roll with that stuff.

ME3 itemization in the campaign was more constrained and more varied at the same time, and was better for it. The happy medium between ME1 and ME2.

I wonder if there will be nudity in this. Kinda want them to go crazy with the aliens genitalia, but I guess that's too much.

I doubt they'll go too far. I thought the scenes in the first game were done best, even if a little generic. The idea of everyone staying mostly dressed as in the sequels seemed pretty ridiculous. I guess they didn't want FOX News to call them out again.

kurahador

I doubt they'll go too far. I thought the scenes in the first game were done best, even if a little generic. The idea of everyone staying mostly dressed as in the sequels seemed pretty ridiculous. I guess they didn't want FOX News to call them out again.

They show nudity just fine in DA Inquisition when its previous games only did a PG13/Network tv sex scenes.

Yep, I would probably expect nudity (not that it matters) of some kind. They tested the waters in Inquisition and there wasn't really an uproar over it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This game is really shaping up to be "Stargate Atlantis Season 1 meets Earth 2."

And if anyone -- anyone at all -- understands both those references, we need to be friends.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It took me a bit to remember what Earth 2 was, but yeah, pretty much.

Well then. You and I are friends. C:

(Also, Rodney McKay posts in these threads sometimes, so that's an automatic win. I mean, that dude is going to be in this game, pretty much.)

Colbert

Banned
Yeah but it was worse for it. The slight stat boosts from generation, dozens or hundreds of nearly identical weapons and constant inventory juggling were the worst kind of itemization possible. Especially when it becomes apparent once you get Spectre gear that you can just roll with that stuff.

ME3 itemization in the campaign was more constrained and more varied at the same time, and was better for it. The happy medium between ME1 and ME2.

I don't know. Those kind of loot driven game mechanic (even for the slightest change in a weapon stat) is a success factor for many other games like Diablo or Borderlands (at least for me). I admit the inventory could have had a better UI but besides from that I like those type of micro management for your playable characters, tbh.

That said I am happy that exploration of planets is back in game for Andromeda.

bonej

No more paragon is very good.

But i still not think that there will be real choices, since too many paths not seen by many gamers would be simply too expensive

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Glad the male is capable of looking decent this time. FemShep is an iconic character (even in her default design) but ManShep is... not. Went with a girl last time around, so I'll go for a guy lead this time. I think having the other sibling stay as in-universe and important character is awesome. It's like what Fallout 4 tried to do but ultimately went nowhere with.

akumu

—Also I really want Andromeda to have a cool Dead Space style zero-G section or two.

Thinking of it this way makes me way more on board with the idea of not losing any characters.

On the other hand I'd hate to jump into the game knowing it'll have a sequel. I dread not having closure in this story and having to wait another 4 years for the next entry in the series :/

Oh come on the loot system and inventory in ME1 was atrocious! You cant just have lots of loot for the sake of it.

I was so confused by all the random names and ever so slight variations for all the weapons.

MartyStu

Hmm, I agree with you about the quality of ME1 loot. That being said, it was no where near the medium between those two games.

Itemization can have the scope and complexity attempted with ME1 and not suck. The idea was fine, it the implementation that was godawful

A-V-B

Borderlands would disagree!

I think the problem with ME1's inventory system was that it was so difficult to read and control. Lots of items, hard to tell what set them apart, hard to access them... it felt like a tunnel-vision labyrinth.

I think you could go with an extensive inventory system again and it would work, you'd just have to do it right. Look at Skyrim, for god's sake. One of the most popular games today, up there with GTAV and Minecraft, and it has an insanely cluttered inventory once you get into the game ... but people handle it just fine. Even better if you're on PC with SkyUI.

It could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom