• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What did he mislead us on? In your words, concisely
He said masks don't work when they do, and justified lying by saying he didn't want people hoarding masks to the detriment of front line medical workers, and that they didn't know the extent of asymptomatic spread (even though they did).

So my mom got the vaccine a few months ago, and now her arms are magnetic. Coins easily stick on both of her arms. I've checked it in person, and it doesn't work on me as I'm not vaccinated.

Naturally I look this up on the internet and every single single search result insists that this is fake, that you mustn't believe the cOnSpiRaCy ThEoRisTs and that the vaccine doesn't make you magnetic. You know when a liar insists too much on something to make you believe him? Yeah. Articles from mainstream media jumping to tell you there are no microchips when you haven't even considered it yet only makes their claims more suspicious.

This is not me watching some random viral video (as you can't tell anymore if something is true or not on the internet), this is something I tried in person several times. And I've yet to find an online page or video that explains why people's arms are becoming magnetic.

What do you think, Gaf?
At least it would be easy to get her a birthday gift this year.

Magneto-Finished_3-4_4-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Praise the sun. About damn time.

Sounds like a number she's confident they won't reach.

If the information in the above link is true, adult vaccinations are plateauing and it appears that the state does not even currently have enough doses on hand to fully vaccinate 70% of the adult population.

Last edited by a moderator:

BouncyFrag

The Pentagon gave $39 MILLION to Dr. Peter Daszak's EcoHealth Alliance - the charity that funded coronavirus research at the Wuhan lab accused of being the source of the outbreak, federal data reveals.

The majority of the DoD funding to #EcoHealth came from the DTRA, a US military branch with a mission to "counter and deter weapons of mass destruction and improvised threat networks".

It makes this more understandable:

Last edited:
What always seemed fishy, and has become more so as time has gone by, is the general lack of commitment portrayed by Fauci and others in the mainstream to actually find the source of this thing in a definitive matter. It's been over a year and a half since this first showed up and there still hasn't been a definitive link found in nature. It seems like this should've been a red flag a while ago

It's almost like most people in places of power have been running interference for the CCP. Makes you wonder...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I hope that semi-random Twitter guy is right about a defector, but it's hard to believe China would allow anyone with real knowledge of a lab leak to defect. Maybe it's a lab tech or academic who knows about coronavirus research done at low levels of safety or something general like that.

A Soviet scientist accidentally injected himself instead of a guinea pig with hemorrhagic fever and died a slow painful death. Stuff like that has happened a lot.

llien

He absolutely understood that Covid-19 could have possibly come from the Wuhan lab. Possibly. Him (with the help of the media), spun it where they could not possibly ever be the case and pushed another theory. That is deliberately misleading when the answer was "We don't know where it originated other than it first was identified in China."
This doesn't look misleading to me.

The mask thing, that one is not as egregious to me (other than him absolutely knowing it didn't do much to stop the transmission of the virus), but then he went on to say "two masks" later on.
Are we back to "masks do not work" again

bigsnack

Im not really sure if I have any more fucks to give about any of this. Mask mandate at work is lifted as of Friday, mask mandate and restrictions will be gone state wide in about a week, vacations are booked, etc,

The Pentagon gave $39 MILLION to Dr. Peter Daszak's EcoHealth Alliance - the charity that funded coronavirus research at the Wuhan lab accused of being the source of the outbreak, federal data reveals.

It makes this more understandable:

Daszak is one of the fuckers who was conspiring with Fauci to label the Wuhan lab sourcing as a "conspiracy theory", right? He also did what amounts to a signature drive where he got his friends to sign onto a "scientific" pledge that the virus totally did not come from the lab.

Literally usurped The Lancet and made it a laughingstock with fake science.

Last edited:

llien

Fauci said they (as in the 3-ply fabric ones everyone wears) don't 🤷‍♂️ don't you trust the science?
OK, let's get it straight shall we?
"He said they don't work" refers to "does entire US have to do the masks" back in Feb 2020.
Answer to which is "no" from what we knew back then and also from what we know today.

Specifically, it didn't make sense BACK THEN.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"He said they don't work" refers to "does entire US have to do the masks" back in Feb 2020.
Answer to which is "no" from what we knew back then and also from what we know today.

That's great and all, but despite some vaguely worded statements to the contrary, nothing changed. No new revelatory data came out to justify the universal wearing of face coverings made of materials that have zero chance of meaningfully blocking viral particles from passing through them.

Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection,” wrote the head of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).

The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material.

He literally says in an email that the common masks don't block the virus, the same masks he said this year should worn stacked on top of each other.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
This doesn't look misleading to me.

Are we back to "masks do not work" again
He didnt give that answer. That’s the point.

thr masks are marginal at best. Science backs that up. He knew it then. But instead, he allowed a narrative to be spun (including him and his theater and “two masks”) that they were some sort of force shield. They weren’t.

that’s the misleading part

Last edited:

llien

That's great and all, but despite some vaguely worded statements to the contrary, nothing changed. No new revelatory data came out to justify the universal wearing of face coverings made of materials that have zero chance of meaningfully blocking viral particles from passing through them.

Surely things have changed.
Situation when there is only a handful of infected vs when you have sizable part of the population infected.

llien

thr masks are marginal at best. Science backs that up. He knew it then.
Once I've asked for references of this conservative wisdom, I was given link to "if you keep your mask on for hours... in operation room... it MIGHT get worse than not wearing mask".

llien

He literally says in an email that the common masks don't block the virus, the same masks he said this year should worn stacked on top of each other.
There were no N95 masks in enough numbers early into pandemic.
"Marginal" is better than nothing.

Nobody knew for sure how effective "common masks" had, but I don't think wearing them in hope it helps is such a big deal.

I assume it was for conservatives.

Raven117

Gold Member
Once I've asked for references of this conservative wisdom, I was given link to "if you keep your mask on for hours... in operation room... it MIGHT get worse than not wearing mask".
CDC published opinion.

And this is not accounting for modified behavior.

the point that even if marginally effective, didn’t warrant the dogmatic enforcement of some people and business and politically charged nonsense.

I was happy to wear mine (I look awesome in a bandana and or schemog) but knew it was more theater than science.
Even now, people are still wearing them while they are vaxxed because they can’t let it go

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
CDC published opinion.

And this is not accounting for modified behavior.

the point that even if marginally effective, didn’t warrant the dogmatic enforcement of some people and business and politically charged nonsense.

I was happy to wear mine (I look awesome in a bandana and or schemog) but knew it was more theater than science.
Even now, people are still wearing them while they are vaxxed because they can’t let it go
He didnt give that answer. That’s the point.

thr masks are marginal at best. Science backs that up. He knew it then. But instead, he allowed a narrative to be spun (including him and his theater and “two masks”) that they were some sort of force shield. They weren’t.

that’s the misleading part
Why do you both endorse the study posted on the CDC website and then disparage Fauci for following the guidelines of that study?

"he allowed a narrative to be spun (including him and his theater and “two masks”)"

Conclusions​

The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators. Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection. Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable. Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Surgical masks are for keeping spittle and bacteria from entering open wounds. They work in that sense. They were never meant to block or filter viruses.

They definitely help keep spittle and snot in when a person shouts or sneezes, but who the hell shouts and sneezes straight into people's faces even without a mask? You've got problems either way if you're in a situation like that.

Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.

Almost no one is doing any of this. What is to be said about infections other issues from wearing filthy masks, because it's a pretty safe bet that the vast majority of people are reusing masks at least throughout a single day and likely for much longer.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Surgical masks are for keeping spittle and bacteria from entering open wounds. They work in that sense. They were never meant to block or filter viruses.
Viruses are also contained in the spittle. Using a mask helps block the spittle which contains the virus, and it also limits the range of your breath which limits how far the virus is propelled away from you.

They definitely help keep spittle and snot in when a person shouts or sneezes, but who the hell shouts and sneezes straight into people's faces even without a mask? You've got problems either way if you're in a situation like that.
This is not the only scenario that you should consider, and considering a mask only in the context of shouts or sneezes does not consider the entire situation accurately.

Almost no one is doing any of this.
No one (that you observe). There are people that do this.

What is to be said about infections other issues from wearing filthy masks, because it's a pretty safe bet that the vast majority of people are reusing masks at least throughout a single day and likely for much longer.
Then they're not engaging in best practices. It's important to give people not only the right tools but the right education to use them. The argument that masks do work in theory but don't work in practice because people use them wrong is not a good argument because the obvious solution is to educate people on the right way to use it.

The effectiveness of a condom in preventing pregnancy and STDs is relatively strong, but not if you use it incorrectly or improperly. You wouldn't say that condoms are ineffective because people use them wrong. Same with masks. The solution is not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The solution is to educate people on what to do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No one (that you observe). There are people that do this.

Go to literally any parking lot and look at the dashboards and rear view mirrors. You're being disingenuous if you think that most people aren't reusing masks that aren't even effective in the first place.

I don't even know where to start with your condom example... Maybe if most condoms had holes in them you'd have a point.

showernota

I haven’t had to wear one of those things in weeks. I like this new-new normal.

The CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reportsaid mask mandates adopted last year were linked to almost a 2% drop in new COVID cases within 100 days of adoption.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Why do you both endorse the study posted on the CDC website and then disparage Fauci for following the guidelines of that study?

"he allowed a narrative to be spun (including him and his theater and “two masks”)"

Conclusions​

The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators. Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection. Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable. Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.
Because if you read the actual science in there (and not them trying to spin it) it shows at best marginal.

and they don’t have a freakin clue behind that recommendation. In other words, read it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven’t had to wear one of those things in weeks. I like this new-new normal.

I don't really feel like reading this right now, but 100 days? Has any state or country ever kept a trend going for 100 days during this pandemic?

Regardless of this, I like to look at Texas. They dropped their mask mandate on March 3rd and cases/deaths have continued to decline ever since.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Guys, it's over. Thanks to gene editing we have discovered a miracle. Can we come together and show some gratitude. What else is there to talk about

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, it's over. Thanks to gene editing we have discovered a miracle. Can we come together and show some gratitude. What else is there to talk about

- How this whole thing originated.
- Which measures were successful and which were not.
- Which vaccines are proving to be most effective.
- The latest non-vaccine treatments.
- Any side effects of the vaccines as time goes on.

Without getting into more political stuff...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Go to literally any parking lot and look at the dashboards and rear view mirrors. You're being disingenuous if you think that most people aren't reusing masks that aren't even effective in the first place.
Irrelevant. The point isn't that people don't use them well. The point is that masks are effective when used well, and that it's not hard to get people to use them correctly as evidenced by many countries that use masks to control the spread of disease. You lived in one. There were loads of Japanese people in front of you everyday showing you how to properly use masks.

There are lots of places in the US that have a high compliance rate and use them properly.

You keep ignoring the main part of my argument and keep going back to the "but people don't use them properly" defense which I showed is not a good reason.

I don't even know where to start with your condom example...
Because it's accurate? You're making the "it doesn't work because people don't use them properly" argument, and that's not a good argument. All you have to do is apply it to any other sort of general use protective gear, like condoms.

Both are proved to be a barrier to disease and have been proven by both lab experiments and common sense. They're both not hard to use. The main obstacle to their effectiveness is user error or user non-compliance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because if you read the actual science in there (and not them trying to spin it) it shows at best marginal.

and they don’t have a freakin clue behind that recommendation. In other words, read it.
You know, it's a red flag when you always assert things without backing them up. You didn't address the contradiction I pointed out to you.

llien

CDC published opinion. ...marginal...
Let me read into it:

So, yet conservative bias take?

it was more theater than science

That is not what the article you've linked states.

llien

They definitely help keep spittle and snot in when a person shouts or sneezes, but who the hell shouts and sneezes straight into people's faces even without a mask?
You've essentially concluded no masks are needed at all, cough. (pun intended)

Droplets get out of humans even when they speak calmly, or, exhale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You know, it's a red flag when you always assert things without backing them up. You didn't address the contradiction I pointed out to you.

What contradiction? The conclusion that says cloth masks are basically useless?

The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators.
You need a proper respirator to expect any kind effectiveness.

Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection.
Cloth masks are useless.

Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable.
No idea what "more suitable" is supposed to mean after it's been made clear they are useless, but I imagine they felt obligated to recommend them as some kind of symbol of solidarity.

Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.
So, cloth masks can be "improved" from a state of complete uselessness, but only if you use a specific type of material (probably not t-shirts and bandanas), sew together multiple layers and make it a tight fit, ensure some kind of filtration, and make sure to wash them diligently after each exposure.

I don't think they provide any meaningful protection against viruses nor is there any reason to expect they should. Maybe if everyone used properly fit N95 masks and never recycled them, but that's not happening anywhere as far as I know.

Conclusions​

If you add layers of a filtration media with pores bigger than what you are trying to filter, the impact is negligible. Especially for something airborne.

And the droplets quickly aerosolize and disperse. A mask might help you if someone coughs directly in your face (of course, then you need to disinfect your skin, and hope it didn't get in your eyes or get breathed through the edge of the mask) but once the droplets aerosolize the mask is useless.

Raven117

Gold Member
Let me read into it:

So, yet conservative bias take?

That is not what the article you've linked states.
It sure isn’t. As I kept saying. Actually read it.

I fully recognize the recommendations. But read the science behind it. Small percentages at best that don’t account for modified behavior.

Raven117

Gold Member
A “red flag”? Dude, quit posting like you are from the ministry of truth.

If you bothered to actually read what I posted and suggested, you would know that I recognize the recommendations, but disagree with how effective as shown by their own data.

In the end, I’m sure science will catch up and give us a definitive ruling on this in the next few years.

my overall point is that it was indeed marginal (look at their study, which didn’t even account for behavior) but people clinged to it like some dogma. That it was the only thing between life and death for the entire population. The marginal effectiveness didn’t warrant this kind of militant enforcement. Additionally, the arguments became political (as you accused me of being conservative when I was only looking at data) and became a political litmus test way more than about the science. And that’s my point about Fauci in the end when it came to masks, but his steering thr narrative deliberately away from a Wuhan lab leak (which was plausible) is what is way more egregious. And absolutely deliberately misleading

As for now, this is just a silly argument because covid is over especially if you are vaxxed. Sorry covid lost.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What contradiction?
In one sentence, Raven117 Raven117 calls out Fauci for telling people to do things like "add two layers to your cloth mask for extra protection" saying that it's theater. In another sentence, Raven117 Raven117 quotes a study that is posted on the CDC website, saying that it is proper science and that we should follow the science. This paper also suggests that cloth masks can be layered for extra protection, so I'm not sure what Raven117 Raven117 's beef is here.

Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers

The conclusion that says cloth masks are basically useless?
No. Read the paper again. That is NOT the conclusion.

You quoted, "The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators.", and you said:
You need a proper respirator to expect any kind effectiveness.
This is not what this is saying. It's saying that cloth masks are inferior to medical masks. Obviously, homemade PPE is going to be inferior to commercially made and engineered PPE.

Saying that "X is better than Y" is not equivalent in meaning to "X is useless". Wouldn't you agree?

You quoted, "Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection.", and you said:
Cloth masks are useless.
Again, you're putting words in their mouth. At no point did they say "cloth masks are useless". Since the previous conclusion is that pro PPE is better than homemade PPE, obviously the mandate for healthcare workers should be the pro stuff.

You quoted, "Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable.", and you said:
No idea what "more suitable" is supposed to mean after it's been made clear they are useless, but I imagine they felt obligated to recommend them as some kind of symbol of solidarity.
First of all, "more suitable" means "more suitable". This is easy to understand given the context provided by the following phrase, "when medical masks are unavailable". Now, let's remember the previous findings. Pro PPE is better than homemade PPE. Healthcare workers should be prioritized for pro PPE, obviously. However, that might leave everyday folks without any pro PPE, so in that case homemade PPE is more suitable since even homemade masks are effective (they say this in the paper) and something is better than nothing. Ya know, when they say that very thing here:

The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly.

In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use.

During the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in China, cotton masks were widely used by healthcare workers and the general public, and observational studies found them to be effective (8).

One study tested medical masks and several household materials for the ability to block bacterial and viral aerosols. Participants made masks from different materials, and all masks tested showed some ability to block the microbial aerosol challenges although less than that of medical masks (11). Another study found that homemade cloth masks may also reduce aerosol exposure although less so than medical masks and respirators (12).

So, cloth masks can be "improved" from a state of complete uselessness, but only if you use a specific type of material (probably not t-shirts and bandanas), sew together multiple layers and make it a tight fit, ensure some kind of filtration, and make sure to wash them diligently after each exposure.
You are again stating that they claim that cloth masks are in a state of complete uselessness, which is not what they said. "X is better than Y" does not mean "X is in a state of complete uselessness".

I don't think they provide any meaningful protection against viruses nor is there any reason to expect they should. Maybe if everyone used properly fit N95 masks and never recycled them, but that's not happening anywhere as far as I know.
I keep providing evidence that they do, yet you don't seem to acknowledge it.

This is a simple and easy to understand Youtube video showing experimental evidence how even a homemade mask can block droplets during regular talking that can carry biological agents on them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you add layers of a filtration media with pores bigger than what you are trying to filter, the impact is negligible. Especially for something airborne.
Many of the droplets of water that you expel from your mouth or nose while breathing are not bigger than the pores of the mask, and the virus is being carried on these droplets. The mask also provides an airflow barrier, which decreases the range at which any escaping droplets can go.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A “red flag”? Dude, quit posting like you are from the ministry of truth.

If you bothered to actually read what I posted and suggested, you would know that I recognize the recommendations, but disagree with how effective as shown by their own data.

In the end, I’m sure science will catch up and give us a definitive ruling on this in the next few years.

my overall point is that it was indeed marginal (look at their study, which didn’t even account for behavior) but people clinged to it like some dogma. That it was the only thing between life and death for the entire population. The marginal effectiveness didn’t warrant this kind of militant enforcement. Additionally, the arguments became political (as you accused me of being conservative when I was only looking at data) and became a political litmus test way more than about the science. And that’s my point about Fauci in the end when it came to masks, but his steering thr narrative deliberately away from a Wuhan lab leak (which was plausible) is what is way more egregious. And absolutely deliberately misleading

As for now, this is just a silly argument because covid is over especially if you are vaxxed. Sorry covid lost.
Yes, it's a red flag because you talk about data, but you don't actually reference the specific parts of it and explain the relevancy.

What happened to me being a solid poster and posting in good faith? Because I still am. Please don't interpret these messages in the context of some kind of cultural information war.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is a simple and easy to understand Youtube video showing experimental evidence how even a homemade mask can block droplets during regular talking that can carry biological agents on them.

I'll read the rest of your post later, but why are you sharing a video about bacteria as if it has some relation to the ability of masks to block viruses?

Surgical masks are made to help keep droplets and bacteria out of open wounds during surgery. They are effective for that purpose. A virus is absolutely tiny compared to bacteria and spittle. A typical cloth or surgical mask's holes aren't blocking them at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll read the rest of your post later, but why are you sharing a video about bacteria as if it has some relation to the ability of masks to block viruses?

Surgical masks are made to help keep droplets and bacteria out of open wounds during surgery. They are effective for that purpose. A virus is absolutely tiny compared to bacteria and spittle. A typical cloth or surgical mask's holes aren't blocking them at all.
They talked about the bacteria angle in the beginning of the video. Bacteria also live in the droplets we exhale, just as the viruses do. Detecting viruses is a lot harder and cannot be easily done in a home lab, which is why detecting the bacteria is a suitable substitute.

Again, like I said, yes a virus is absolutely tiny compared to bacteria and spittle. A cloth or surgical mask is blocking the spittle, which is what the virus rides on.

llien

I don't think they provide any meaningful protection against viruses nor is there any reason to expect they should.
Yes.
Such as said viruses traveling in droplets, and masks pretty obviously blocking them.

Actually read it.
blink-182 wtf GIF

You've lazy posted it, I've CITED the relevant part, and now I need to "actually read it"? Jesus Christ...

And the droplets quickly aerosolize and disperse. A mask might help you if someone coughs directly in your face (of course, then you need to disinfect your skin, and hope it didn't get in your eyes or get breathed through the edge of the mask) but once the droplets aerosolize the mask is useless.
This gets us very strongly into made up theories territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom