• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

Rumors are stating Fauci will be takin early retirement because of the email leaks..... shit is getting spicy.
He should do a farewell tour of town-hall meetings across the country where he will take direct questions from the American people. He is, after all, ‘America’s Doctor’.
93-FB44-FF-4-C88-488-D-872-F-5936-E2658-CBA.jpg

Last edited:

Moomalade74

Banned
Does anybody know precisely who or what organisation leaked the Fauci emails? That would go some way to estimating the veracity or potential ulterior motive behind the leak itself.

If this info is unknown, I would be treating this whole episode with extreme skepticism, while awaiting further confirmation or details.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Does anybody know precisely who or what organisation leaked the Fauci emails? That would go some way to estimating the veracity or potential ulterior motive behind the leak itself.

If this info is unknown, I would be treating this whole episode with extreme skepticism, while awaiting further confirmation or details.
The emails were published by Buzzfeed and the Washington Post after they were released via The Freedom of Information Act.
96288-F8-D-C8-C0-4087-BA95-D6-B3-E798-DF5-A.jpg

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552, is a federal freedom of information law that requires the full or partial disclosure of previously unreleased information and documents controlled by the United States government upon request. The act defines agency records subject to disclosure, outlines mandatory disclosure procedures, and defines nine exemptions to the statute.[1][2] The act was intended to make U.S. government agencies' functions more transparent so that the American public could more easily identify problems in government functioning and put pressure on Congress, agency officials, and the president to address them.[3]

Last edited:

mango drank

Just so I'm clear, what's the prevailing view of the lab-leak idea? I get the sense people aren't on the same page, and are pushing different theories.

I heard months ago that it seemed like the likeliest explanation for Covid was that it indeed started out as a wild virus taken from an animal, but that a wild virus sample was taken from whatever animal, and stored in that virology lab in China for a couple years, during which time it was allowed to evolve and/or was modified artificially here and there. Not necessarily for nefarious purposes, just to study it. And then some butterfingers employee accidentally leaked it. Researchers looking into the situation thought this was the most reasonable origin of the virus, because much of its RNA matched up to wild corona, but some of the RNA looked new.

People don't seriously still think the virus is entirely synthetic, do they?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just so I'm clear, what's the prevailing view of the lab-leak idea? I get the sense people aren't on the same page, and are pushing different theories.

I heard months ago that it seemed like the likeliest explanation for Covid was that it indeed started out as a wild virus taken from an animal, but that a wild virus sample was taken from whatever animal, and stored in that virology lab in China for a couple years, during which time it was allowed to evolve and/or was modified artificially here and there. Not necessarily for nefarious purposes, just to study it. And then some butterfingers employee accidentally leaked it. Researchers looking into the situation thought this was the most reasonable origin of the virus, because much of its RNA matched up to wild corona, but some of the RNA looked new.

This guy might be able to help explain.

There are - I've seen all kinds of conspiracy theories about how it was an intentional bio weapon but I think most people understand that the lab itself was studying bat carona viruses and the lab leak implies basically what you said. An existing virus was modified via gain of function research (allegedly)

CloudNull

Banned
There are - I've seen all kinds of conspiracy theories about how it was an intentional bio weapon but I think most people understand that the lab itself was studying bat carona viruses and the lab leak implies basically what you said. An existing virus was modified via gain of function research (allegedly)
There might be a few people here who believe the virus was a conspiracy to crash the US economy but most understand which you just mentioned. The real, provable issue, is the lab leak was covered up. Social Media played arbitrator of truth while calling everyone who questioned the wet market theory a conspiracy theorist. The mainstream media played a massive role in this causing many people to be banned. Fauci was intentionally misleading the public so that it would not come back to the people that he funded.

This whole thing leads to tons of unanswered questions. Why was Fauci given so much power? Why did some people in power not want to get to the bottom of this? The potential answers leads into some taboo topics for this place but I hope we get the truth one day.

hyperbertha

There might be a few people here who believe the virus was a conspiracy to crash the US economy but most understand which you just mentioned. The real, provable issue, is the lab leak was covered up. Social Media played arbitrator of truth while calling everyone who questioned the wet market theory a conspiracy theorist. The mainstream media played a massive role in this causing many people to be banned. Fauci was intentionally misleading the public so that it would not come back to the people that he funded.

This whole thing leads to tons of unanswered questions. Why was Fauci given so much power? Why did some people in power not want to get to the bottom of this? The potential answers leads into some taboo topics for this place but I hope we get the truth one day.
The lab leak theory would have unified people with Trump against china. Its all politics.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

Here's the research the Chinese conducted as told to the WHO:

Dr. Shi has publicly described doing experiments, including in 2018 and 2019, to see if various bat coronaviruses could use a certain spike protein on their surfaces to bind to an enzyme in human cells known as ACE2. That is how both the SARS virus and SARS-CoV-2 infect humans.

Those experiments involved combining one bat coronavirus with the spike protein of another and then infecting mice genetically engineered to contain human ACE2, Dr. Shi told the WHO-led team in February, according to its report.

Last edited:

Airola

🤡 Trump was considered racist for blaming China (remember that Asian journalist with the "WHY DID YOU SAY CHINA TO ME!!!" line, lols)
🤡 People were banned from social media platforms for suggesting a lab leak.
🤡 Cuomo and co. covered up the amount of people killed in the nursing home scandal.
🤡 Cuomo got a fucking EMMY for his "amazing" work against Covid.
🤡 We were told that if the protests and riots cause more infections, it's not because of the protests and riots but it's because of racism.
🤡 Covid situation was used to make a lot of changes in the voting process in the US Presidential election.

People have lied and lied and lied about a lot of this, and they've gone to incredible lengths to make people who didn't deserve it to look good, and to hide things that were either real or at the very least valid to question. The whole media system was used to build up and spread false or at least questionable narratives all the while using the same media to suppress dissident voices.

If this house of cards doesn't fall now, it never will. Imagine if this is what they have done now, how much more they are actively hiding? How much people in other countries are hiding? It's not only US and China who've been caught in the same web.

Ascend

Kind of ironic... How the false labeling of a certain group as conspiracy theorists pretty much proves that there was an actual conspiracy to cover up some things.

Last edited:

mango drank

Here's the research the Chinese conducted as told to the WHO:

Dr. Shi has publicly described doing experiments, including in 2018 and 2019, to see if various bat coronaviruses could use a certain spike protein on their surfaces to bind to an enzyme in human cells known as ACE2. That is how both the SARS virus and SARS-CoV-2 infect humans.

Those experiments involved combining one bat coronavirus with the spike protein of another and then infecting mice genetically engineered to contain human ACE2, Dr. Shi told the WHO-led team in February, according to its report.
I wonder if any sort of investigation into all of this will be allowed. It'd be fascinating. I'm sure China already did their own secret investigation long ago and disappeared whoever needed disappearing.

Imagine China being forced to pay reparations to the rest of the world because of one lab's colossal fuck-up. (It'll never happen.)

mango drank

Here's a good timeline of the lead-up to this renewed interest in the lab leak idea, and the history of the idea in general (below). Funnily enough, I read most of that New York Mag piece by Nicholson Baker back in January, which was my first introduction to the theory that Covid was the result of a natural animal virus that was being studied and modified, which then accidentally escaped. I thought it made a lot of sense. It's weird that it's taken this long for the idea to bubble up again.

ManaByte

CAL OSHA is going to require workers in CA wear masks until the end of the year, AND make them upgrade to N95 masks:

The California Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board meets Thursday and will consider new workplace rules that would only allow workers to go maskless if everyone in a room is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus. The rules could remain in place into early next year even though coronavirus cases have fallen dramatically after a severe winter spike and as more people are vaccinated.'

Employer organizations were additionally critical of a proposed rule that starting July 31 would require them to provide the most effective N95 masks for voluntary use by employees who are working indoors or at outdoor mega events and are not fully vaccinated.

Guileless

The new Vanity Fair article on the lab leak theory is long but very interesting.

Main takeaways:

*the Chinese military was conducting gain of function research on bat coronaviruses using humanized mice in the WIV at a time that lines up with the outbreak, and Shi Zhingli lied about the military involvement in research at her lab

*the three WIV scientists who were hospitalized in Sept. 2019 were working on gain of function research

*the WIV removed its online virus database in Sept. 2019 and the WHO investigation team incredibly didn't even request to look at it

*even more incredibly, online autists pieced most of this together because elements in the US government resisted looking into it so as to not kick the hornet's nest about US funding of gain of function research and because it might help Trump. Scientists were scared to do it because their friends would think they were uncool. The media didn't do it because it was "racist."

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Pretty much confirmation that the link between new cases, and hospitalisations/death has been broken in the UK.

The rise of cases in this country is down to the proliferation of the Indian variant, with younger age groups not having access to vaccinations, and those who have not opted to be vaccinated, driving up numbers.

With the increasing evidence of this, and the evidence of vaccine footprint being effective vs this strain, there is no reason to expect the UK to change their plans to open up at the end of the month.

llien

This is from five days ago and Fauci was still pushing that the virus was most likely natural in origin at around 1:04.

Brett Weinstein is great.

I'm missing the plot here (and it's hard to follow bloody twitter threads), could someone elaborate please?

So someone states that "less than 0.1%" of virus genome looks potentially unusual, but there is no conclusive evidence, more analysis are needed.

What else?

People also mistakenly think "lab leak" theory has to be a virus intentionally created in the lab. (although a possibility, so I wonder where they got with that 0.1% potentially unusual part)

llien

Why are UK cases going up? (3k+ at this point and upward trend... Germany is at 4.4k)
It's not something I'd expect given the number of vaccinated... =/

Israel is in low double digits.

Guileless

I'm missing the plot here (and it's hard to follow bloody twitter threads), could someone elaborate please?

So someone states that "less than 0.1%" of virus genome looks potentially unusual, but there is no conclusive evidence, more analysis are needed.

What else?

People also mistakenly think "lab leak" theory has to be a virus intentionally created in the lab. (although a possibility, so I wonder where they got with that 0.1% potentially unusual part)

The science is way beyond me, but my rudimentary understanding is that COVID-19 is so much more transmissible than SARS 1 or MERS was because of a spike protein that is highly effective at binding to receptors in human cells. The WIV was conducting gain of function research to manipulate naturally occurring coronaviruses to become more transmissible to humans. The research was highly controversial because of the obvious potential dangers inherent in creating artificial chimeric viruses that can infect humans.

Scientists are currently split on the scientific question as to whether the spike protein in COVID-19 could have evolved naturally or was artificially inserted by researchers performing gain of function research. It was dismissed out of hand initially for reasons that had nothing to do with with a sober scientific assessment, and only now a year later are some scientists expressing these concerns publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom