• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masami Yamamoto leaves Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio, the latest in a long line of departing creators

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The difference is that GR2 is a masterpiece of gaming industry modern and Days gone is a pile of shit

Mate, I am just as sad as the death of Japan Studio, but you need to get a grip.

As for CamHostage CamHostage :

Shit isn’t hidden. You can do the two seconds of leg work to see for yourself.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I might be wrong but, wasn’t Sony Japan having problems for a long time? I remember reading articles about how the internal management of the studio kept changing and how they had lots of projects but nothing wasn’t coming out.

sublimit

Banned
I might be wrong but, wasn’t Sony Japan having problems for a long time? I remember reading articles about how the internal management of the studio kept changing and how they had lots of projects but nothing wasn’t coming out.
Yup that was during the PS3 era around when Allan Becker became the head of the studio. Now who in his right mind thought that having a Western guy as the head of SCEJ was a good idea blows my mind. Same goes for Nicolas Doucet but by then the ship had already sailed.

CamHostage

As for CamHostage CamHostage :

Shit isn’t hidden. You can do the two seconds of leg work to see for yourself.

Hey thanks, pal!
Oh, and here's a Text-to-Speech application that you might like to use for, you know, the next time you can't be bothered to read what you respond to and need words spoken aloud to you...

I didn't say I wasn't aware of "censorship" concerns. I've been on GAF before; I'm aware that Disgaea 6 is weirdly unavailable for US PS4 pre-orders. PlayStation has been less receptive than in the past to products that come up to or cross the line of their content policies, particularly sexual content, and we have seen in particular Japanese studios hit hard by demands on content editing. Something's going on. It's a topic of conversation, and even Sony itself has been part of that conversation (albeit very corporately and hand-wavey.) You and I don't see it on the same level of importance (you see it as the beginning of the utter end of PlayStation, I see it as an ill-suited capitulation of the times that I don't like and would strongly prefer to see reversed but also haven't yet felt a real impact of aside from not being able to blast sailor-uniformed girls to orgasm on PlayStation or for that matter Xbox because Gal*Gun Returns got denied on consoles except for Switch... although I am worried about what will become of Prinny games,) but the topic is out there.

That's different from accusations that the company has intentionally bullied Japanese studios out of potential contracts by requiring English even in Japanese business meetings. You can't just casually toss that out there, you need to back up your claim with evidence or testimony or even a simple link to whatever forum this is circling on if you're going to come at it that hard. (And are you saying that this was Japan Studio designers who were required to pitch in English, or Japanese 3rd Parties looking to land a deal?) If you've got the story to point to, then that's really informative and disturbing, and I'd like to know more because I'm confused what business advantage there could possibly be in intentionally tanking a booked meeting with a potential product on the line.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Inanilmaz

The only games that really interest me are Locoroco and Ape Escape but after the ps2/psp they didn't release a single sequel for them so it doesn't interest me now if they close the studio.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hey thanks, pal!
Oh, and here's a Text-to-Speech application that you might like to use for, you know, the next time you can't be bothered to read what you respond to and need words spoken aloud to you...

I didn't say I wasn't aware of "censorship" concerns. I've been on GAF before; I'm aware that Disgaea 6 is weirdly unavailable for US PS4 pre-orders. PlayStation has been less receptive than in the past to products that come up to or cross the line of their content policies, particularly sexual content, and we have seen in particular Japanese studios hit hard by demands on content editing. Something's going on. It's a topic of conversation, and even Sony itself has been part of that conversation (albeit very corporately and hand-wavey.) You and I don't see it on the same level of importance (you see it as the beginning of the utter end of PlayStation, I see it as an ill-suited capitulation of the times that I don't like and would strongly prefer to see reversed but also haven't yet felt a real impact of aside from not being able to blast sailor-uniformed girls to orgasm on PlayStation or for that matter Xbox because Gal*Gun Returns got denied on consoles except for Switch... although I am worried about what will become of Prinny games,) but the topic is out there.

That's different from accusations that the company has intentionally bullied Japanese studios out of potential contracts by requiring English even in Japanese business meetings. You can't just casually toss that out there, you need to back up your claim with evidence or testimony or even a simple link to whatever forum this is circling on if you're going to come at it that hard. (And are you saying that this was Japan Studio designers who were required to pitch in English, or Japanese 3rd Parties looking to land a deal?) If you've got the story to point to, then that's really informative and disturbing, and I'd like to know more because I'm confused what business advantage there could possibly be in intentionally tanking a booked meeting with a potential product on the line.

Again sources were provided. They literally state what you seem to struggle with accepting through numerous of those articles. If you need even more help then look at the WSJ article and numerous NicheGamer articles on the subject (and other sites like sankakucomplex iirc).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Not surprising they shove off Japan Studio tbh, last guardian bores me to death. I tried to get into it but its just so repetitive.
The only game i like from them is ape escape and sotc, but there is no sequel from them.
Gravity rush does not interest me.

Mr Branding

People talk about Japan Studio as if it was on the standards of Naughty Dog and Rockstar. Can anyone recall when was the last time Japan Studios developed (not collaborated) a high-quality game that was both a commercial and critical success?
It doesn’t have to be. You don’t get it. AA games like the ones made by Japan Studio are non-existent at the moment. Not every game needs to be on the magnitude of Gta or Witcher, and Japan studio games were quite unique. Recently restarted Folklore and I swear I haven’t played a ps4 game as original and unique as this.

theclaw135

Banned
It doesn’t have to be. You don’t get it. AA games like the ones made by Japan Studio are non-existent at the moment. Not every game needs to be on the magnitude of Gta or Witcher, and Japan studio games were quite unique. Recently restarted Folklore and I swear I haven’t played a ps4 game as original and unique as this.

TBQH Folklore wasn't given a fair chance. SCEA kept the game officially a full $60, it never became Greatest Hits.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Those games don't have to be AAA. My point was that even a AA game has to be successful (like Dead Cells, Outer Wilds, Stardew Valley, etc.) -- something that Japan Studios just wasn't delivering.

The AA games that did sell well and/or were good (e.g., The Last Guardian) took 6+ years to make. AA games from a prolific, well-established, high-quality studio should not take 6+ years to make; it affects a company's ROI and affects future projects.

In less than that time period, the ASOBI team delivered two excellent Astro games that were even bigger successes than TLG. That's why it doesn't surprise me that ASOBI team is the one Sony is now backing.

Zeroing

Banned
This

Bring Shuhei Yoshida and Shawn Layden back

Theyre still in perfect shape and good condition to lead playstation

Why the feck sony get rid of them for jim ryan
What people are missing is the fact that Sony been pouring money on Japan studio for years and we for years been hearing of Sony trying to make the studio run. What’s the point on having talented people when nothing works. That’s the sad part, talent was there but nothing was being produced.

also people forget that on the Shu management, he closed studios that were not performing.

we also forget that in that time/generation other companies closed a lot of studios as well.
And recently the heads of Sony directed Jim to “cut the fat” from the studios.
I am not giving excuses to him, just pointing out that what we are seeing now is the sum of everything that been happening in ps3 and ps4 era.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
story it's dead GIF by Chiara Sottile's dead GIF by Chiara Sottile

For you gamers who support Japanese studios, looks like some of the Sony Japan employees who left already started their own studio.

Some of Japan Studio's creatives left earlier. Silent Hill director Keiichiro Toyama, along with Gravity Rush designer Junya Okura and The Last Guardian lead designer Kazunobu Sato all left Japan Studio in December to form Bokeh Game Studio. The developers are already working on their first game, a psychological horror title.

longdi

Banned
I like how these long time SCEJ exces are announcing their departures on Twitter and thanking Shu.
As if almost like a silent FU to the new management direction.

I know of corporate heads engaging in power plays upon their new appointment and new timeline. 🤷‍♀️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like how these long time SCEJ exces are announcing their departures on Twitter and thanking Shu.
As if almost like a silent FU to the new management direction.

I know of corporate heads engaging in power plays upon their new appointment and new timeline. 🤷‍♀️
It's a video game industry thing. Everyone loves social media and puts on a brave face.

In all the companies I've worked at (one was probably even bigger than Sony at some point), I've never seen any employees thank each other on social media after they were downsized out.

longdi

Banned
It's a video game industry thing. Everyone loves social media and puts on a brave face.

In all the companies I've worked at (one was probably even bigger than Sony at some point), I've never seen any employees thank each other on social media after they were downsized out.

Ya thats why SCEJ leavers only thanked @JapanStudios and S Shu . :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What people are missing is the fact that Sony been pouring money on Japan studio for years and we for years been hearing of Sony trying to make the studio run. What’s the point on having talented people when nothing works. That’s the sad part, talent was there but nothing was being produced.

also people forget that on the Shu management, he closed studios that were not performing.

we also forget that in that time/generation other companies closed a lot of studios as well.
And recently the heads of Sony directed Jim to “cut the fat” from the studios.
I am not giving excuses to him, just pointing out that what we are seeing now is the sum of everything that been happening in ps3 and ps4 era.

The games did work and the studio created super high quality titles. The issue is that Sony refused to actually market that games worth a damn.

Zeroing

Banned
The games did work and the studio created super high quality titles. The issue is that Sony refused to actually market that games worth a damn.
big studio that almost didn’t release many games as the other studios and put the fact that yes Sony didn’t market the games because a lot of money was being poured into the studio! Let’s face it, Japan studio current situation is a sum of little mistakes that adding up makes for the mess we are seeking now!
Talent was wasted!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
big studio that almost didn’t release many games as the other studios and put the fact that yes Sony didn’t market the games because a lot of money was being poured into the studio! Let’s face it, Japan studio current situation is a sum of little mistakes that adding up makes for the mess we are seeking now!
Talent was wasted!

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t market to hell a cheap ass game and expect it to do well and you can’t provide large amounts of money and expect a game with zero marketing to sell. Sony did everything in its power to kill the studio.

Zeroing

Banned
You can’t have it both ways. You can’t market to hell a cheap ass game and expect it to do well and you can’t provide large amounts of money and expect a game with zero marketing to sell. Sony did everything in its power to kill the studio.
I make drama but come on, if Sony wanted to kill the studio they would just dissolved it long long time ago and not use money to keep the studio going.

like I said! It’s a sum of things gone bad.

CamHostage

I make drama but come on, if Sony wanted to kill the studio they would just dissolved it long long time ago and not use money to keep the studio going.

like I said! It’s a sum of things gone bad.

Possibly also the Rayspace project came up to a review milestone and this time it did not make the cut to move forward.
This was another long-in-gestation project and supposedly used a lot of internal staff, so assuming that collapsed, it would have put Sony Japan right in the crosshairs with no project to transition to and years of low output. In the past, a studio could swerve and weather a devastating event if they were nimble enough (though usually there would still be some cuts until the new project put them back on track,) but production costs and timelines are tough enough now that a soured project could drag down even a veteran group like this.

Last edited:
This. Sony had multiple winning hands, but played them poorly. Sony is terrible at communicating ideas (this is a widespread problem within the industry though. Not only attributed to Sony. Suits who don't know shit about what they're selling).

I stand by that ever since Kutaragi and Phil harrison left SCE, the upper management suits haven't had a clue at what cards they were playing. They missed so many opportunities its staggering. Kutaragi might've been a mad man, but he was the kind of mad man they needed.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Possibly also the Rayspace project came up to a review milestone and this time it did not make the cut to move forward.
This was another long-in-gestation project and supposedly used a lot of internal staff, so assuming that collapsed, it would have put Sony Japan right in the crosshairs with no project to transition to and years of low output. In the past, a studio could swerve and weather a devastating event if they were nimble enough (though usually there would still be some cuts until the new project put them back on track,) but production costs and timelines are tough enough now that a soured project could drag down even a veteran group like this.

Sony forced Japan Studio to work on a massive AAA title and the result of that was the closure of the studio... seems like dooming them to failure...

Shut0wen

That picture should be Jim Ryan.

Japan Studio was like the Nintendo of Sony.... but Sony is so ignorant to see this.
Dont insult nintendo like that, japan studios once made some redefining games back on ps1 and early ps2 but they releassd complete duds, there last great game was locoroco series, after that all they've done is support other studios and released knack 1 and 2 which aren't great games

CamHostage

Sony forced Japan Studio to work on a massive AAA title and the result of that was the closure of the studio... seems like dooming them to failure...

Maybe. We don't exactly know who "forced" what or how the studio structure was negotiated, but if you just want to look at case/effect, it has happened before. Sony forced Guerilla Cambridge to work on a VR game and the result of that was the closure of the studio. Sony forced Bigbig Studios to work on a PS Vita showcase title and the result of that was the closure of the studio. Japan Studio forced SCE to let them work on a massive AAA sequel called Knack 2 and the result of that was the closure of the studio.

I don't know what the alternative was in this case, though? LocoRoco 3 and Um Jammer Lammy Remastered and Kung Fu Rider 2 on PS5VR wouldn't be keeping the lights on at the studio for long. Sony appears to have given Japan Studio WAY more slack than any of its other studios (especially once they stopped producing titles for Vita in 2015 and the studio's main home was no more,) and this downsizing is a surprise only in that nobody thought Sony would actually pull the trigger on its beloved old dog.

As much as I love some of the company's quirky titles, as a game buyer Japan Studio have not fully captured me as a game buyer (particularly with internal studio developments) for a while now. I have assumed they were doomed to failure for a long time now, and it wasn't a lack of advertising that told me, it was me looking at Knack and Gravity Rush and saying, "Eh, I don't know if these are really grabbing me, have you got anything else?" and there being no answer to that from Japan Studio for most of the PS4's lifespan.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Maybe. We don't exactly know who "forced" what or how the studio structure was negotiated, but if you just want to look at case/effect, it has happened before. Sony forced Guerilla Cambridge to work on a VR game and the result of that was the closure of the studio. Sony forced Bigbig Studios to work on a PS Vita showcase title and the result of that was the closure of the studio. Japan Studio forced SCE to let them work on a massive AAA sequel called Knack 2 and the result of that was the closure of the studio.

I don't know what the alternative was in this case, though? LocoRoco 3 and Um Jammer Lammy Remastered and Kung Fu Rider 2 on PS5VR wouldn't be keeping the lights on at the studio for long. Sony appears to have given Japan Studio WAY more slack than any of its other studios (especially once they stopped producing titles for Vita in 2015 and the studio's main home was no more,) and this downsizing is a surprise only in that nobody thought Sony would actually pull the trigger on its beloved old dog.

As much as I love some of the company's quirky titles, as a game buyer Japan Studio have not fully captured me as a game buyer (particularly with internal studio developments) for a while now. I have assumed they were doomed to failure for a long time now, and it wasn't a lack of advertising that told me, it was me looking at Knack and Gravity Rush and saying, "Eh, I don't know if these are really grabbing me, have you got anything else?" and there being no answer to that from Japan Studio for most of the PS4's lifespan.
I think I admired Sony for having a studio like JAPAN Studio with great titles even if they did not set the charts on fire.
Made their lineup more diverse and was one of the (not few) reason to bet on them. I am not sure what to tell you about games such as Gravity Rush 1&2... quite fun gems if you ask me ;).

CamHostage

I think I admired Sony for having a studio like JAPAN Studio with great titles even if they did not set the charts on fire... I am not sure what to tell you about games such as Gravity Rush 1&2... quite fun gems if you ask me ;).

I admired Sony for having Japan Studio for the same reasons. And when they had PSP/PSVita, when sales charts didn't need to be set on fire in order to make an audience happy, everything was fine. When it came time to fully support PS4 though, the studio didn't just "not set the charts on fire", it barely set the match used to set the charts a'fire on fire. Gravity Rush 2 sales were disappointing in Japan and worldwide, and Knack 2 sales were devastatingly low.

As far as Gravity Rush, I appreciate people who are fans of it, I have GR1 and played some of GR2 (I guess only the demo since I don't gave it in my PSN library.) It's a noble project and if it had been successful then it would have been the type of game I'd expect to see more of from Japan Studio even if I'm not personally a fan of that franchise. But it's not a game I myself would have saved up to buy another sequel, and it's low sales numbers sadly did not surprise me much, nor did this tragic but perhaps eventual fallout of the studio that made it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Dont insult nintendo like that, japan studios once made some redefining games back on ps1 and early ps2 but they releassd complete duds, there last great game was locoroco series, after that all they've done is support other studios and released knack 1 and 2 which aren't great games
Nintendo also made Wii Music and 1-2 Switch ...

So even kings sometimes don't making quality games.

Obviously Japan Studio made games with a lot of quality

Last edited:

Shut0wen

In the last 10 years they have made 2 proper games which were ok while also finishing the last guardian, other then that all they have done is supporter other developers, if sony had fully invested in them maybe it would be a different story but they havent made a decent game in other 14 years or so

Top Bottom