• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masami Yamamoto leaves Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio, the latest in a long line of departing creators

759898.jpg

763267.jpg
Based

Papacheeks

Banned
That's what you think.

Jim Ryan in the end is going to destroy the plant.

Here:

Read this shit please.

It's like you have no clue on how long Jim has been with the company and that he was one of the driving forces in dark times at Sony. This Kodera appointed him that position to help grow playstation. Which looking at the approach to PC with Playstation titles seems to be working and if rumors are true about this year PC players are going to want to buy PS5's for the sequels to games not on PC releasing this year.

I could now pretend that he had any major contribution to a game I liked, but I won’t because so many people loose their jobs everyday and why should we care about him more than all the others?

McCarth

There was not a more disappointing studio this past gen than Studio Japan. This was unfortunately inevitable. Sony will still collaborate with a bunch of 2nd Party devs in Japan, and Asobi is crushing it.

No loss here.

MagnesG

Banned
People talk about Japan Studio as if it was on the standards of Naughty Dog and Rockstar. Can anyone recall when was the last time Japan Studios developed (not collaborated) a high-quality game that was both a commercial and critical success?
Metroid is not the best selling franchise either but still revered as one of the best.
Fire Emblem was niche until it went mainstream in 3ds era, and now having its flagship title on Switch/ mobile game making billions.

Japan Studio have too many of beloved IPs in their backlog that now have the risk to remain buried.

I don’t think the timing of these people leaving is coincidence. I see the writing on the wall. Yeah, Japanese games typically don’t sell as well as Western games, but that’s no reason to put them in the back burner. Superhero movies dominate TV and movies, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore the other films and not take them as serious. Whether he contributed a lot to Team Japan or not, I don’t think him leaving is a good thing. There is a little pattern going on here.

Last edited:
Here:

Read this shit please.

It's like you have no clue on how long Jim has been with the company and that he was one of the driving forces in dark times at Sony. This Kodera appointed him that position to help grow playstation. Which looking at the approach to PC with Playstation titles seems to be working and if rumors are true about this year PC players are going to want to buy PS5's for the sequels to games not on PC releasing this year.
I don’t think this strategy of putting PlayStation exclusives games on PC are going to make PC gamers want to go out to buy a PS5. In fact, it will probably be the opposite and cause them not to buy a PS5 because PC gamers will expect all the exclusives to come to their platform of choice eventually. It might even backfire on Sony like it did for Microsoft’s XBOX and reduce hardware sales.

CamHostage

I mean, Japan Studio's inevitable death hurts, and I enjoyed playing even some of the more "recent" games like Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, and Gravity Rush 1, but is their loss really going to be felt? ...People saying "but Bloodborne" need to open their eyes: it was almost completely developed by From, Sony just own the IP and nothing is stopping them from collaborating on a sequel or something similar again with From in the future.

Well, not "nothing is stopping them"; pretty much all the producers who greenlit and helped produce games like Bloodborne are leaving/cut.

We will have to see what kind of future plans PlayStation Studios' global operations has in reaching out to Japanese developers or taking in pitches from Japanese studios.
  • We could see a severe downturn in Japanese contracts, now that there is no home office of Japan Studio.
  • We could see a renewed interest in signing new or experienced Japanese companies, without the stalwart Japan Studio having to balance/prioritize both internal and external projects.
  • We could see the money spent on Japan Studio reallocated and everything feels the same from a gamer's perspective (so long as nobody is holding their breath for Gravity Rush 3 or Knack 3...)
You're right that a large portion of the games that most people love with the Japan Studio label were developed at external studios, and those studios didn't die just because Japan Studio downsized (assuming they weren't relying on PlayStation's Japan Studio for their next paycheck.) So, the geniuses at Fromsoft who created Bloodborne, the RPG craftsmen at MediaVision who created Wild Arms, the crazy folks under Hiroyuki Kotani at Pyramid who drummed up Patapon, the creative minds at Level-5 who long ago made Dark Cloud and Jeanne d'Arc and would be welcomed back by PlayStation fans... all these creative people who developed the games that Japan Studio gets collaborative credit on, they could conceivably give somebody at Sony a call and see if they'd be interested in publishing their next game idea.

...BUT, without Japan Studio, there's essentially nobody left in Tokyo to pick up the phone and book a lunch date to hear pitches of those projects. So, who's going to pick up the phone, and how many of those ideas will ever get made as PlayStation-published titles?

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
That picture should be Jim Ryan.

Japan Studio was like the Nintendo of Sony.... but Sony is so ignorant to see this.
I dont see Japan Studio making BoTW, or Mario or ARMS or Splatoon, animal crossing. Meanwhile Nintendo is pulling this shit out their ass every second, hit after hit.
Japan studio needed to go, they were not competing. People still caught up over JS being rearranged are the same people that can't understand why their wife or husband bounce on them cause they cant recognize a problem until it hits then square in the face.

All these "talented" devs leaving after the rearrangement are all going to accomplish nothing in the industry for the remainder of their career, they had 2 generations to do something so they not gonna do something now, Jim knows this.

Last edited:

Keihart

No surprise here since we already knew the bad news of everyone but team Asoby getting axed.

Fucking Jim, i wonder if Playstation it's going to survive his management and in what state, mindshare can flip in a very short time and there is very little in playstation's arsenal to keep the momentum going besides third parties which are fickle and change with the market. The moment Naughty Dog fucks up or Imsoniac somehow stop chewing out spiderman games, things might get ugly considering how much Xbox and Nintendo are solifiding their place on the industry.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Japan studio needed to go, they were not competing...

All these "talented" devs leaving after the rearrangement are all going to accomplish nothing in the industry for the remainder of their career, they had 2 generations to do something so they not gonna do something now

That's overly harsh. I get that you're trying to give tough love, but rather than dwell on the dark side of the situation (from either the side of hating that it happened or begrudging that Sony took so long,) I think there's a little reason to see some kind light at the end of the tunnel. Without having to operate some big conglomerate operation to please with products that were increasingly difficult to fit into the system (especially once Sony exited the portable market,) we could see some of these producers and designers pop up as independents and do well for themselves. Bokeh Studio has already spun up, probably we'll see a few other indies come out of Japan Studio. We'll also probably see a few studios who produced titles for Sony pick up some of those people to help them make new games for a different studio or without a publisher. I wouldn't be surprised to see a spiritual successor made to say LocoRoco or Patapon or even Gravity Rush or Siren (Bokeh is rumored to be jumping right into horror projects,) and all of those types of games seemed just about dead in the past with Japan Studio treading water for a while now. Maybe not all of those games will be for PlayStations (probably a lot of them will be on phones,) but this isn't game over for Japanese PlayStation game development, just a lost life in play.

...Also, while I am one of those people who has a hard time disagreeing with Sony's financial decision to downsize Japan Studio after like a decade or more of fringe projects and not enough huge blockbusters like I loved them for back in their PS1/PS2 heyday, let's be careful with this "good riddance and thanks for nothing" attitude. Technically, Sony Japan Studio produced 2 of 4 1/2ish launch titles for PS5 (depending on how you count Spider-Man Remastered.) They did Astro's Playroom (internally at Asobi, which remains undownsized) and Demon's Souls (externally at Bluepoint, produced by Japan Studio) while Insomniac did the Spider-Mans (under its own producers, so do you even credit "Sony America"?) and Sumo Digital did Sackboy (XDEV gets home-office credits for that; same group that Lucid links to as its bosses for Destruction All-Stars.) Sony Santa Monica, Sony San Diego, Sony London Studio, and Sony San Mateo (or really just Sony projects contracted 2nd Party in America not by SSM or SSD) have yet to ship a title for the new console, while the big names of Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch and Guerrilla and Polyphony Digital are also all still not represented on the new box yet. Granted, all those studios will of course burst out at full speed with their long-awaited projects, but when the competition started in the new console race, Sony Japan was ready twice over and Sony's Liverpool also got to the starting line with a launch game (now has 2 out, with a third, Returnal from Housemarque, due next month,) and yet the centerpiece US operation of PlayStation is still late to the blocks except for the over-achievers of Insomniac Games...

I just mean, a little credit where's it's due, please.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gravity Rush is better then any Rockstar or Naughty Dog series.
I'm sure it is for you, but how many other gamers share that sentiment?

Naughty Dog big titles have sold 20+ million copies (single platform). RDR2 has so far sold 27+ million copies. GTA 5 is almost at 125+ million now. (multiplatform).

How many copies did Gravity Rush sell to make it on the same level?

There's a reason he left on his own terms. I won't go into why.
I hope someday we will learn why Shawn Layden has left Sony because it was weird how he just quit like that. Maybe he just didn't like the path that Jim Ryan wanted for PlayStation but it's just a guess from me or he just wanted to quit for enjoying the rest of his life.

PlayStation seems to have a few new external producers for working with some Japanese studios, it would be interesting to see what they will bring for the PS5.

Keihart

This

Bring Shuhei Yoshida and Shawn Layden back

Theyre still in perfect shape and good condition to lead playstation

Why the feck sony get rid of them for jim ryan
Andrew House and Shuhei Yoshida were kind of the team when everything went by smoothly, release after release, and new games announced. Kojima got onboard, they helped Yu Suzuki get Shenmue 3 out of the ground and Cerny working on PS4 and PS5, etc. There were bold investments like keeping TLG alive, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and even getting PSVR of the ground and supported by the whole gen. It was pretty good for the consumer even tho it probably was risky for the company. Good old times really, nothing of the likes now at Playstation, very little to look forward too.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I hope someday we will learn why Shawn Layden has left Sony because it was weird how he just quit like that. Maybe he just didn't like the path that Jim Ryan wanted for PlayStation but it's just a guess from me or he just wanted to quit for enjoying the rest of his life.

PlayStation seems to have a few new external producers for working with some Japanese studios, it would be interesting to see what they will bring for the PS5.
not going to happen.

Elog

Japan studio has really had it rough for a few years with very little quality output. Pretty clear that Sony needed to make changes. People overreact.

Asobi Studio remains and collaborations with smaller Japanese teams remains. All good in my book.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
As much as I love Gravity Rush, there doesn't seem anything relevant from Studio Japan for the past 10 years except for... The Last Guardian. I thought The Last Guardian was decent but I liked Gravity Rush more, yet that title was much more niche. Sadly this was inevitable and it was coming sooner than later.

Polyphony Digital and Team Asobi are the stars of SCEJ here. I do love Astro's Playroom, tbh I even think it rivals Mario in terms of fun and charm.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I don’t think this strategy of putting PlayStation exclusives games on PC are going to make PC gamers want to go out to buy a PS5. In fact, it will probably be the opposite and cause them not to buy a PS5 because PC gamers will expect all the exclusives to come to their platform of choice eventually. It might even backfire on Sony like it did for Microsoft’s XBOX and reduce hardware sales.

Actually I can't call this information as exclusive, but I can tell you with 100% certainty there is data that Sony has which suggests how much people double dip on game releases. As of September Horizon on PC sold over 700,000. ANd with that game being fixed by now as seen by Digital Foundry's new video on it. It will continue to sell as time goes on. Imagine what God of war will do?

The data that I've seen from people privy to it, shows the average steam users who also own consoles, Playstation is the highest out of the three who own more a capable PC. Demon Souls if it ever came to PC would slay. So games like God of war, uncharted collection, Days Gone will sell an extra couple millions.

A lot of the people I hang out with have both Gaming PC's and a console. Some of them are all in on gamepass and have a series x and PC. The rest of my friends who I use to lan with are literally checking everyday to get a PS5. Even thought that small sample size is hard to equate to the larger demographic. The data from a very large sales group shows the % of cross over with PC/PS4. Which is way higher than xbox/Switch.

PC people want tech, and both xbox series x and PS5 have a lot of new cutting edge tech. But the dual sense, and the ssd instant loading on PS 1st party titles is what a lot of PC people are intrigued about. That and the titles that Sony puts out literally had people even on here buying a PS4 just to play.

So you think putting titles on PC wont have a trickle effect? Because it totally does. Either they wait for the sequel of the game they like to come to PC hopefully down the road, or they buy a PS5 t o play it.

To you're example of XBox. They dont release the games day to date on PC like Microsoft does. Sony's strat is much smarter, and also I would argue Playstation has a better reputation on quality of games.

Last edited:
Actually I can't call this information as exclusive, but I can tell you with 100% certainty there is data that Sony has which suggests how much people double dip on game releases. As of September Horizon on PC sold over 700,000. ANd with that game being fixed by now as seen by Digital Foundry's new video on it. It will continue to sell as time goes on. Imagine what God of war will do?

The data that I've seen from people privy to it, shows the average steam users who also own consoles, Playstation is the highest out of the three who own more a capable PC. Demon Souls if it ever came to PC would slay. So games like God of war, uncharted collection, Days Gone will sell an extra couple millions.

A lot of the people I hang out with have both Gaming PC's and a console. Some of them are all in on gamepass and have a series x and PC. The rest of my friends who I use to lan with are literally checking everyday to get a PS5. Even thought that small sample size is hard to equate to the larger demographic. The data from a very large sales group shows the % of cross over with PC/PS4. Which is way higher than xbox/Switch.

PC people want tech, and both xbox series x and PS5 have a lot of new cutting edge tech. But the dual sense, and the ssd instant loading on PS 1st party titles is what a lot of PC people are intrigued about. That and the titles that Sony puts out literally had people even on here buying a PS4 just to play.

So you think putting titles on PC wont have a trickle effect? Because it totally does. Either they wait for the sequel of the game they like to come to PC hopefully down the road, or they buy a PS5 t o play it.

To you're example of XBox. They dont release the games day to date on PC like Microsoft does. Sony's strat is much smarter, and also I would argue Playstation has a better reputation on quality of games.
I see. Admittedly, I didn’t know that. That is very interesting. Actually, seems like the people I know generally just stick with one platform from PC, to XBOX to PlayStation and only buy games for their preferred platform.

Sony probably won’t release games on PC day one anytime soon, but if the games are selling well and demand or pressure goes up, I think it could potentially happen later which could imo be trouble for the consoles. That’s exactly how it started with Microsoft if I remember correctly. IF Sony ever goes that route, I think they will follow the exact same path as Microsoft and Sony needs their console more then Microsoft needs theirs.

They are going about it smarter than Microsoft, but I’m still not sure if this strategy will help the PlayStation brand as much as everyone thinks. I already hear a good amount of people saying, they want Sony games to come to PC so they won’t have to buy a PlayStation. Obviously, Sony will have to be very cautious with this tactic.

Papacheeks

Banned
I see. Admittedly, I didn’t know that. That is very interesting. Actually, seems like the people I know generally just stick with one platform from PC, to XBOX to PlayStation and only buy games for their preferred platform.

Sony probably won’t release games on PC day one anytime soon, but if the games are selling well and demand or pressure goes up, I think it could potentially happen later which could imo be trouble for the consoles. That’s exactly how it started with Microsoft if I remember correctly. IF Sony ever goes that route, I think they will follow the exact same path as Microsoft and Sony needs their console more then Microsoft needs theirs.

They are going about it smarter than Microsoft, but I’m still not sure if this strategy will help the PlayStation brand as much as everyone thinks. I already hear a good amount of people saying, they want Sony games to come to PC so they won’t have to buy a PlayStation. Obviously, Sony will have to be very cautious with this tactic.

Anything that makes fans out of their games on other platforms is a win/win. They make money off of the sales on PC, and if people would rather not wait for the sequel to come to PC they get a console and get all the benefits of said hardware. Like at some point MLB the show from who I've talked to is coming to PC. But build wise they are trying to get their engine more optimized.

Ten_Fold

Sony’s HQ now is in California and they don’t really make Japanese games like that anymore or really even have a lot of Japanese exclusives. The PS4 didn’t sell well and everyone in Japan just plays phone games or the switch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well, not "nothing is stopping them"; pretty much all the producers who greenlit and helped produce games like Bloodborne are leaving/cut.

We will have to see what kind of future plans PlayStation Studios' global operations has in reaching out to Japanese developers or taking in pitches from Japanese studios.
  • We could see a severe downturn in Japanese contracts, now that there is no home office of Japan Studio.
  • We could see a renewed interest in signing new or experienced Japanese companies, without the stalwart Japan Studio having to balance/prioritize both internal and external projects.
  • We could see the money spent on Japan Studio reallocated and everything feels the same from a gamer's perspective (so long as nobody is holding their breath for Gravity Rush 3 or Knack 3...)
You're right that a large portion of the games that most people love with the Japan Studio label were developed at external studios, and those studios didn't die just because Japan Studio downsized (assuming they weren't relying on PlayStation's Japan Studio for their next paycheck.) So, the geniuses at Fromsoft who created Bloodborne, the RPG craftsmen at MediaVision who created Wild Arms, the crazy folks under Hiroyuki Kotani at Pyramid who drummed up Patapon, the creative minds at Level-5 who long ago made Dark Cloud and Jeanne d'Arc and would be welcomed back by PlayStation fans... all these creative people who developed the games that Japan Studio gets collaborative credit on, they could conceivably give somebody at Sony a call and see if they'd be interested in publishing their next game idea.

...BUT, without Japan Studio, there's essentially nobody left in Tokyo to pick up the phone and book a lunch date to hear pitches of those projects. So, who's going to pick up the phone, and how many of those ideas will ever get made as PlayStation-published titles?

Absolutely correct, but that isn't the end of it. We already know of the years long censorship issues that has been ongoing ever since Sony moved their HQ to Japan which has angered many fans both in the west and a great number of developers (both Indie to AAA) in Japan. It was around this time that they also forced Japanese devs to converse with them in English (not even get a feckin' translator on their end for better business deals).

There has been a growing anti-Japanese movement within Sony for nearly half a decade now and many of the folks here who are actively parading or suggesting this is a good thing are also openly antagonistic to any japanese media and the culture of that region. I.E. cockwombles.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

As much as I love Gravity Rush, there doesn't seem anything relevant from Studio Japan for the past 10 years except for... The Last Guardian. I thought The Last Guardian was decent but I liked Gravity Rush more, yet that title was much more niche. Sadly this was inevitable and it was coming sooner than later.

Polyphony Digital and Team Asobi are the stars of SCEJ here. I do love Astro's Playroom, tbh I even think it rivals Mario in terms of fun and charm.

This is true. And The Last Guardian took 9 years to develop.

I can understand why people are concerned about Studio Japan. It has a long history and Japan is still tremendously influential for the gaming industry.

But I can also understand why Studio Japan needs a clear out. It’s been spectacularly unproductive for a long time and a decade of small changes to their setup does not seem to have produced any improvement.

I think where people are reaching at the moment is to translate the much needed shake up into Sony are shutting Japan Studio and abandoning Japan. Time will tell but I’m extremely sceptical that either of these things will happen.

Bkdk

If i am a Japanese and Sony wants to continue the way of character design like their recent AAA titles, I want out immediately.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony is to blame for not marketing their games properly, Gravity rush 2 may have had a friendly rivalry with Breath of the Wild as best game of the year, but Sony as always, spoils the opportunity to do nonsense like showing at E3 A No mans Sky for example or the teaser of a normal game like Days Gone.
That's just Sony knowing the market. Days Gone, a game with zombie-like creatures is way more marketable than a Japanese game of a girl with super powers. It's harsh but that's the way it is

Azurro

Banned
No exaggetated in my words... I only say it the truth

Yes it is. I mean, you are free to like whatever you like, but it doesn't take an MBA to know that the games that Japan Studio were pumping out were unsuccessful in the marketplace.

I like them, or at least the idea behind them, but they obviously don't pay the bills and sell to a tiny, tiny niche of people. They are immaterial to the success/failure of PS and the resources can be better allocated elsewhere.

And I don't want to be mean, but if you honestly think Gravity Rush has the quality to be Game of the Year...then you are not in touch with reality. Throw a Call of Duty sized campaign at it if you want, it's an incredibly niche game and it will never sell. I like anime and even I thought the game was lame, imagine what the general market thinks.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yes it is. I mean, you are free to like whatever you like, but it doesn't take an MBA to know that the games that Japan Studio were pumping out were unsuccessful in the marketplace.

I like them, or at least the idea behind them, but they obviously don't pay the bills and sell to a tiny, tiny niche of people. They are immaterial to the success/failure of PS and the resources can be better allocated elsewhere.

And I don't want to be mean, but if you honestly think Gravity Rush has the quality to be Game of the Year...then you are not in touch with reality. Throw a Call of Duty sized campaign at it if you want, it's an incredibly niche game and it will never sell. I like anime and even I thought the game was lame, imagine what the general market thinks.
The game is not lame and im clear of that.

Zelda Breath of the wild have anime style and look at them

CamHostage

The difference is that GR2 is a masterpiece of gaming industry modern and Days gone is a pile of shit

If more people shared your opinion then maybe we would have had a riot on our hands over this closure, but your take on GR2 is just not that common, even among Gravity Rush players. (It's certainly not one I share; I think it's an interesting and imaginative series but the gameplay mechanics were always clunky to me in either GR, and the visual design didn't always enthrall me.) It failed to find an audience three times (including the original Vita crowd, who were much more open to embracing something that treated them to something special) and just never had the formula needed to be a hit.

Days Gone, I can't say much about one way or another since I don't own it, but I get the appeal. Looks sharp, has a cool swarm system, explores a popular genre. It didn't need to be a masterpiece to be a gaming industry hit.

You are welcome to your opinions (and I respect you finding so much to love in Gravity Rush 2, I wish I had as many good things to say about it,) but to me, even in games I love, there's usually not that much mystery why some succeed greatly and some don't, and these two cases are clear as day in my mind.

...that isn't the end of it. We already know of the years long censorship issues that has been ongoing ever since Sony moved their HQ to Japan which has angered many fans both in the west and a great number of developers (both Indie to AAA) in Japan. It was around this time that they also forced Japanese devs to converse with them in English (not even get a feckin' translator on their end for better business deals).

There has been a growing anti-Japanese movement within Sony for nearly half a decade now and many of the folks here who are actively parading or suggesting this is a good thing are also openly antagonistic to any japanese media and the culture of that region.

You're going to have to cite a source for this claim about Sony tactically denying a translator for business deals with Japanese studios. That's one I've not heard and would need to know a lot more information about before considering your take here. (BTW, they downsized the studio in February and still have PlayStation offices in Japan, so why are they having these translator issues?)

And far as these censorship issues, I'm pretty sure Sony didn't downsize the studio because all the creators there wanted to make pre-teen girls their main characters/waifus... I get that the crackdown on sexualized content has been a real GAF rallying point and has pissed off a contingent of otaku gamers, certainly the Japanese audience has felt the effects of their home country no longer being in the PlayStation driver seat (your Xs suddenly becoming Os is I'm sure a mindfuck just as it was for me in a Metal Gear, although changing that is as easy as going into Settings and flipping "Use
cross
Button for Enter".) But, the Japanese audience has also been pretty clear about not being as interested in driving in a PlayStation as it used to be anyway when it let Vita fail in favor of 3DS (where Monster Hunter goes, so go we all) and when they took big interest in mobile gaming and then let Switch and Western/international game-as-service blockbusters into their hearts. The idea that Sony closed down Japan Studio as an intentional fuck-you to Japan for whatever reason seems like a great big jump-to-conclusions from some loose confirmation bias evidence. Did PlayStation factor in the "national pride" of the Japanese gaming audience having a home studio when making the decision to downsize Japan Studio? Doesn't seem like it, and maybe that hurts, but then again, something like 100k total Japanese people bought either Gravity Rush and people in Texas made Japan's Demon's Souls and Shadow of the Colossus remakes and Japan Studio proper has not put a game in a box since 2017 (which was Knack 2, a game that sold 2,106 copies in its opening week in Japan,) so... did the Japanese gaming audience even remember it had a home studio before all this happened?

I don't like the direction Sony is going with Japanese game publishing, because I like Japanese games and don't see evidence of them investing in many new Japanese products right now (and they've downsized a studio that I've been frustrated with but still kept hope for,) but I'm also not seeing enough evidence to support your "anti-Japanese movement" theory. The way the math reads to me is, it's just not as lucrative a territory as it was in the Japanese game industry heyday, and the companies that are doing really well have re-aligned themselves with Nintendo because Switch is such an attractive (and worldwide) hit.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme

seriously man i respect your love for games like Gravity Rush but you're oversimplifying things when you are trying to compare Gravity Rush with Breath of the Wild or Nintendo with Japan Studio. And this comes from someone who adored most of their output like the Team Ico games.

Same goes for your "crusade" against Jim Ryan. I wish it was as black and white as you think it is but unfortunately it's much more complicated than the decisions of one man in so little time.

Just be thankful that Keiichiro Toyama now has his own studio (and more creative freedom than before) and we will still be able to enjoy hos games regardless of platform. Same goes for Fumito Ueda.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The game is not lame and im clear of that.

Zelda Breath of the wild have anime style and look at them

You can't compare an IP like Zelda to Gravity Rush, it has an enormous lineage going back to the NES and a huge fanbase.

I bought both the Gravity Rush remaster and the sequel and I'm sorry, but in my personal opinion, they are disappointing games at their best, lame generic anime at their worst.

That's why I mentioned that you could try to throw a Call Of Duty sized marketing campaign behind it, but the general public will still think the game is lame. You have your tastes and that's fine, but it's easy to see why Sony is not very interested in investing in Gravity Rush, it already failed twice.

And again, you are not in touch with reality and unaware of your own biases if you think it was Game of the Year material.

Top Bottom