• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Sakurai Praises Death Stranding And Hideo Kojima

Mista

Banned
Masahiro-Sakurai-Smash.png

Masahiro Sakurai praised Hideo Kojima’s latest game, mentioning how there are very few games who manage to be this original and yet this interesting. Sakura added that Death Stranding definitely isn’t for everyone, but that he loves it to the point of losing track of time when playing.

Sakurai also praised how well the game is built. Like how you can only unlock the benefits of the Chiral network by overcoming obstacles, and how rare it is for a game to mix this well it’s new possibilities, its story, and its gameplay.

Sakurai mentioned that Death Stranding isn’t perfect though. He cited the controls which can be difficult as they include a lot of button-hold commands, the UI, and the small size of the text. An update will be correcting the text size soon.

Masahiro Sakurai ended by saying that playing Death Stranding reminded him of how talented Hideo Kojima is, seeing he managed to make such a great game in such a short time. He added that he believes many game developers like himself are shocked and amazed about the game. Sakurai finished by mentioning Death Stranding goes over common sense and brings its players to a new world other games didn’t explore yet.

ethomaz

Banned
It is definitively an unique masterpice.
You can play for hours and hours without realize the time is passing.

Gameplay is superb.

PS. Nice to see the issue I posted in OT about small text in menus will be fixed... sometimes I had to go closer to the TV to read the description of some items.

Last edited:

Kagero

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I would love to hear what other devs think about the game. I think the opinions would be mostly positive, I truly think it's quite a revolutionary game but I'm always weary because of my biases towards Kojima.

Digity

It is definitively an unique masterpice.
You can play for hours and hours without realize the time is passing.

Gameplay is superb.

PS. Nice to see the issue I posted in OT about small text in menus will be fixed... sometimes I had to go closer to the TV to read the description of some items.
How small is your tv and how far back are you people playing? Lol I never thought once the text was too small but seems a lot of people are having an issue with it. Good they are fixing it for those people.

ethomaz

Banned
How small is your tv and how far back are you people playing? Lol I never thought once the text was too small but seems a lot of people are having an issue with it. Good they are fixing it for those people.
51" I play from the couch in front of the TV... my head stay about 2.5-3 meters from the TV.
I have to site on I put my foot (about 1.5-2m from TV) to proper read.

It is like that but my couch start is about 1 meter from the TV and not that close like in the picture (my TV is higher on the wall too).
I play lying down.

65319909-kid-with-remote-control-sitting-on-couch-watching-movie-on-tv.jpg

Last edited:

Digity

51" I play from the couch in front of the TV... my head stay about 2.5-3 meters from the TV.
I have to site on I put my foot (about 1.5-2m from TV) to proper read.

It is like that but my couch start is about 1 meter from the TV and not that close like in the picture (my TV is higher on the wall too).
I play lying down.

65319909-kid-with-remote-control-sitting-on-couch-watching-movie-on-tv.jpg
Interesting, I was playing on a 55” about the same distance. 1080p or 4K? Not sure if that would make a big difference or not.

Kokoloko85

In before arrogance and postal game.... people that complain about it like it effects their lives without playing it are some of the worse video game fans the industry can make... not the worst but some of the worst

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting, I was playing on a 55” about the same distance. 1080p or 4K? Not sure if that would make a big difference or not.
1080p... yeap I don't thing a 4K TV will make difference to me because my PS4 is Amateur.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's probably just his joy of not working himself to death on smash when playing it and the game just happened to be there :d

Last edited:
I will be the devils advocate here and say that, when everyone piles up on each other to say good things about a videogame (any piece of art/entertainment really) it reeks marketing ploy.

I mean, where are all these people, from Mamoru Oshii to Sakurai, when all the other good videogames are released?

Screams very deliberate.

Which is a shame. Rockstar style cock sucking is the only thing Kojima has enough of these days.

ethomaz

Banned
I will be the devils advocate here and say that, when everyone piles up on each other to say good things about a videogame (any piece of art/entertainment really) it reeks marketing ploy.

I mean, where are all these people, from Mamoru Oshii to Sakurai, when all the other good videogames are released?

Screams very deliberate.

Which is a shame. Rockstar style cock sucking is the only thing Kojima has enough of these days.
But Death Stranding is one of the best games launched this gen...

Digity

1080p... yeap I don't thing a 4K TV will make difference to me because my PS4 is Amateur.
Wouldn’t make a difference to you but I wonder if it makes a difference in general. I’ll cure my curiosity when I get home from work.

I really love seeing developers congratulating each other for their accomplishments regardless of the platform they've chosen to develop for.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wouldn’t make a difference to you but I wonder if it makes a difference in general. I’ll cure my curiosity when I get home from work.
Even if it makes a difference it's clearly a fault of the game in that case, text/hud/whatever size should be the same regardless of rendering resolution and even font resolution, not depend on it and of course options should become standard as not everyone games in the same situation, especially since they also plan a PC version and monitor size and resolution varies a lot too. So it's definitely a good thing they're fixing a real problem rather than ridicule players over it being a problem.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I would love to hear what other devs think about the game. I think the opinions would be mostly positive, I truly think it's quite a revolutionary game but I'm always weary because of my biases towards Kojima.
Most intelligent professionals wouldn't openly criticize it anyway. You'll really only hear praise from other devs publicly.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wonder what Sakurai would make unchained. He's been making Smash Bros for so long, I can imagine he's tired of it.
He made Kid Icarus for the 3DS. A fabulous game.

Making a game for Nintendo, or any other company, wouldn't chain him any less, To an extent, all developers are chained by the people who are funding them. No modern game can be made for free. Making games costs money, and your project must be convincing enough to get the proper funding. Especially nowadays.

Last edited:

Kagero

Most intelligent professionals wouldn't openly criticize it anyway. You'll really only hear praise from other devs publicly.
I’m involved somewhat in the process of creating games, and I’m sort of blown away by some of the ideas in death stranding. I’ve spoken with my colleges and they are also impressed with what Kojima pro has created. They even talked about how they could incorporate some of the ideas in their game. Bad word of mouth is really glossing over how special this game is. It’s not getting its dues I find and this interview sort of highlights how other creators are feeling about the game.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Finished it last night, as a game it IS amazing, as a story though it's kinda garbage. It has some great moments but often falls short, so Sakurai praising the gameplay above the story makes sense.

Neff

It really is great. Sakurai knows a good game when he sees it.

Metal Gear Solid was too back in the day.

Death Stranding is superior to Metal Gear Solid imo.

I really love seeing developers congratulating each other for their accomplishments regardless of the platform they've chosen to develop for.

Platform bias is something which exists only in the minds of children and morons, and games developers are usually neither.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having played a lot of post-game stuff, I'm now of the opinion that its going to be very influential in the future. The communal world-building aspect is incredibly rewarding, and I can definitely see designers at Nintendo looking to see how they can integrate similar systems into their works.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Screams very deliberate.

Sakurai and Kojima are personal friends though and have been for a long while. I cannot call foul play of him helping his friend with some positive remarks about a game that marks the beginning of his independent carreer (which naturally is more risky). I personally think the concept of DS is garbage, but Sakurai liking it or even praising it to help his friend are absolutely fine.

Sakurai and Kojima are personal friends though and have been for a long while. I cannot call foul play of him helping his friend with some positive remarks about a game that marks the beginning of his independent carreer (which naturally is more risky). I personally think the concept of DS is garbage, but Sakurai liking it or even praising it to help his friend are absolutely fine.

When you put it that way; an old friend trying to support someone embarking on a new venture, its easier to get behind the idea.

Well thought.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Another agenda yeah? So he’s just liking it now to “support his friend” but he can’t really actually like it? You lot just love to speak confidently like if you know everything. Have you contacted Sakurai and asked him if he really liked the game or just being a good friend and supporting Kojima?

Roni

Gold Member

Well, at least you can say you've done your workout for the day with those mental gymnastics.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Screams very deliberate.

For background, Sakurai often offers non-Nintendo game opinions, and breaks down what they mean to him as a gamer and a creator. This isn’t unique to Kojima in any respect.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Another agenda yeah? So he’s just liking it now to “support his friend” but he can’t really actually like it? You lot just love to speak confidently like if you know everything. Have you contacted Sakurai and asked him if he really liked the game or just being a good friend and supporting Kojima?
I was not saying he was not liking it, read what I quoted. The person I quoted questioned why Sakurai was commenting on Kojima's game but not the many other games that are good. To which I say: He is a personal friend of Kojima, so it is understandable if he is more voval about Kojima's work then <random goog game he might have played>.

Mista

Banned
I was not saying he was not liking it, read what I quoted. The person I quoted questioned why Sakurai was commenting on Kojima's game but not the many other games that are good. To which I say: He is a personal friend of Kojima, so it is understandable if he is more voval about Kojima's work then <random goog game he might have played>.
I apologise for misunderstanding you

Top Bottom