• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
They might as well hand Sony all of Marvel Licences for all their characters and create a MCU for the Games. Square Enix is fucking things up. Imagine having the Avengers and GOTG license and fucking it up like they are.
I think this is exactly what's happening.
Plus, that big Avengers tower in Spider-Man wasn't there for the "Easter Egg", I'm not buying that.
It was to prepare the ground, and now we see the first seeds !

How is it exclusive? I thought Sony owned the rights to Spiderman and characters in that universe. Disney should have full rights again to XMen given the Fox purchase? Either way, will be pretty sweet to play an open world action game as Logan.
Marvel <3 Sony because their games make money and are well received. On the other hand look at the reception of The avengers and Guardian of the Galaxy. You have your answer.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, Insomniac of today reminds me a bit of Naughty Dog during the peak days of Uncharted/TLOU1. Pumping out games left and right that were extremely high quality and managing to surprise us with new titles.

Naughty Dog now is a shell of their former self. No new IP. No two-team dynamic. No project to transition to so they are forced to work on an MP game and a remake. Really disappointing how the tables have turned. Insomniac is Sony's best studio by far and every studio should emulate how they do business because it's magical.
Not that I disagree, but ND had a fairly successful last gen. Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and TLOU2 in 7 years is not bad at all. SSM for example made just one game during that span. Sucker Punch made two. GG made two. and Bend made one.

The problem is what happens next. TLOU2 shipped in 2020 so they shouldve had a game due in 2023 just like Spiderman 2. At the very least they shouldve shown an ingame tease like they did at E3 2014 with that incredible looking Uncharted 4 teaser. But they were a no show despite getting an extra 4 months. That's indeed troubling.

P.S Insomniac announced this game way too early. They literally dont even have a face for their character model. lol. they should be commended but not for a CG trailer. Let alone two ingame/cg trailers. Maybe ND didnt want to show anything without gameplay.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Plus, that big Avengers tower in Spider-Man wasn't there for the "Easter Egg", I'm not buying that.

Marvel <3 Sony because their games make money and are well received. On the other hand look at the reception of The avengers and Guardian of the Galaxy. You have your answer.
Hmm good point

Bryank75

Banned
Yawn, Spiderman wasn't really that good, or are we just pretending in an attempt to piss some strangers on internet who bought the competitor's console?

Nobody is pretending anything.... I am probably one of the most savage critics of PlayStation and Spider-man is awesome, very excited for Spider-man 2 and Wolverine. Insomniac are an incredible studio....

20cent

Banned
In my opinion Insomniac made Spiderman games good again.
It was OK, just found it was very repetitive, like a Batman from Rocksteady with a more generic skin.
Maybe I'm expecting too much, but with all the open world games we had now, I wanted something...more.

Bryank75

Banned

Square likely got some contracts through Sony.... for Marvel.

It kinda makes sense.

Bryank75

Banned
It was OK, just found it was very repetitive, like a Batman from Rocksteady with a more generic skin.
Maybe I'm expecting too much, but with all the open world games we had now, I wanted something...more.
Generic? ..... it's Spider-man.

Ngl, when they showed the trailer for guardians of the galaxy. I really wasn't feeling it, I don't know if it's personally the art direction. dry attempt at humor, the less to be desired snippets of gameplay. or the overall package just wasn't impressed.

Wait....wait really?! They are both connected?!
T2Q6u2b.gif

it was also basic and hand holdy. felt very Ubisoft or lego-ish.

Andodalf

Banned

Marvel let Sony make a Spider-Man game so they could get him in the MCU

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Honestly I thought uncharted 4 and last of us 2 were OK. However ok is a serious step down from there ps3 output.

God of war, horizon and spiderman were WAY better. Not to mention other non first party exclusives like bloodborne, death stranding and final fantasy VII.

I don't know what's going on there I really think crunch culture is bad for there long term productivity but other than that I don't know

They lost one of their creative heads and got Druckmann installed. Dude has some great ideas, but he *Needs* someone to tell him no and to make his ideas work. There is a reason why TLOU1 is almost universally beloved and TLOU2 is not and that was thanks to Bruce Straley. Without him, Druckmann was able to do whatever he wanted regardless of narrative cohesion or character history.

Not that I disagree, but ND had a fairly successful last gen. Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and TLOU2 in 7 years is not bad at all. SSM for example made just one game during that span. Sucker Punch made two. GG made two. and Bend made one.

The problem is what happens next. TLOU2 shipped in 2020 so they shouldve had a game due in 2023 just like Spiderman 2. At the very least they shouldve shown an ingame tease like they did at E3 2014 with that incredible looking Uncharted 4 teaser. But they were a no show despite getting an extra 4 months. That's indeed troubling.

P.S Insomniac announced this game way too early. They literally dont even have a face for their character model. lol. they should be commended but not for a CG trailer. Let alone two ingame/cg trailers. Maybe ND didnt want to show anything without gameplay.

they put out uncharted 1-3 and TLOU in 6 years. 4 full games, 3 of which had full MP modes.

2 games + DLC is a drop off, and only 1 had an MP mode.

they are a growing studio, had two teams, one team focusing on easy to produce sequels, the other focused on new challenging IP.

they regressed big time. They now only have one team because they found two to be too difficult, and yet it is the most efficient way to juggle studio resources as insomniac has shown time and time again. Insomniac has 3 teams now (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and Ratchet). This allows them more time for games that take longer to develop (Wolverine) while being able to execute immediately on safer IP that’s developed already (Spider-Man / Ratchet)

Naughty Dog really fucked up after the TLOU success got to their head and the narrative guys took over. Bruce Staley, the creative game director, left. Amy got wrongfully kicked out. I preferred her light hearted adventures. UC4 was way too serious, and now that Druckman has full control their games are just a slog of bad pacing despite having stunning production values.

Amy and Bruce ran a tighter ship. ND needs to go back to that model and stop creating bloated games that are unplayable on repeats. Insomniac strikes the perfect balance, I can go back and play their games without wanting to pull my hair out having to slow walk and talk while kids throw snowballs at me.

Last edited:

sainraja

Do they need to play all their cards right now?
The generation isn't over, not yet.

sainraja

they put out uncharted 1-3 and TLOU in 6 years. 4 full games, 3 of which had full MP modes.

they are a growing studio, had two teams, one team focusing on easy to produce sequels, the other focused on new challenging IP.

they regressed big time. They now only have one team because they found two to be too difficult, and yet it is the most efficient way to juggle studio resources as insomniac has shown time and time again. Insomniac has 3 teams now (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and Ratchet). This allows them more time for games that take longer to develop (Wolverine) while being able to execute immediately on safer IP that’s developed already (Spider-Man / Ratchet)

Naughty Dog really fucked up after the TLOU success got to their head and the narrative guys took over. Bruce Staley, the creative game director, left. Amy got wrongfully kicked out. I preferred her light hearted adventures. UC4 was way too serious, and now that Druckman has full control their games are just a slog of bad pacing despite having stunning production values.

Amy and Bruce ran a tighter ship. ND needs to go back to that model and stop creating bloated games that are unplayable on repeats. Insomniac strikes the perfect balance, I can go back and play their games without wanting to pull my hair out having to slow walk and talk while kids throw snowballs at me.
When ND also had to deal with crunch issues....so they might actually be giving their people some breathing room?

And I kinda agree with you about Amy. Uncharted was hers. They should have tried to keep her or make things work out.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The question remains, will it be a shallow family friendly affair -or- a proper, mature & violent tale?

I have no desire for the former.

Wolverine facing down Weapon X as he ventures across the world trying to protect X-23 and get her to Xavier's mansion in New York would be amazing. Throw in Daken who comes in from Japan as a mysterious stranger with a vendetta against Logan and you have a winner.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
fuck i hope its not open world. please insomniac go for wide linear. god of war, last of us style.

SlimySnake

Well compared to the PS3 gen, Insomniac's output was smaller too. They had three resistance games. Three ratchet games. And a new IP that bombed. Thats 7 compared to 2 open world games, one remake and one DLC game.

I mean TLOU 2 came out in less than 3 years after they shipped Lost Legacy in August 2017. GG shipped horizon in Feb 2017 and they wouldve taken 2.5 more years to ship their next game. Id say ND is their second most productive studio behind Insomniac and by far the best. Their games win GOTYs. You and might not like replaying them, but they are a cut above the Spidermans and Ratchets when it comes to quality. I wish Insomniac did a bit more with Ratchet tbh. Not longer, just "more". More epic, more modes, etc. They are done quicker because they make less ambitious games.

I do agree that ND fucked up letting Amy and Bruce go. Amy especially since she was forced out. But Bruce was clearly the one keeping Neil in check. now Neil is way over his head managing a studio, directing and writing games, and didnt seem to have anything lined up for the studio to do. Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan made Tenet last year and is already selling his script. He will shoot and edit it in two years like he always does while Neil has his guys working on a TLOU remake because hes got no idea what to do next.

Tripolygon

Banned
Finally more people are starting to see....

The story in TLOU2 was full of holes. Sloppy writing, decent gameplay but nothing groundbreaking. More of a political statement than something aimed at being a great experience.
More people are starting to see? Their last game just won the most game of the year awards both critically and gamers. Lol

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Kinda sucks that it was just a CGI title reveal. I trust Insomniac will do it justice, but still hard to get excited imo. Especially since it might turn out to be a 2024/2025 game..

Anyway, Wolverine is super cool so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with this!

Tripolygon

Banned
Talking about this game not the other games
The complaint has always been about when majority of your showing are CG after CG after CG like last year's E3. This year Xbox Showcases has had more gameplay snippets as did this Sony showcase. I personally don't care because its still exciting to see future games.

Well compared to the PS3 gen, Insomniac's output was smaller too. They had three resistance games. Three ratchet games. And a new IP that bombed. Thats 7 compared to 2 open world games, one remake and one DLC game.

I mean TLOU 2 came out in less than 3 years after they shipped Lost Legacy in August 2017. GG shipped horizon in Feb 2017 and they wouldve taken 2.5 more years to ship their next game. Id say ND is their second most productive studio behind Insomniac and by far the best. Their games win GOTYs. You and might not like replaying them, but they are a cut above the Spidermans and Ratchets when it comes to quality. I wish Insomniac did a bit more with Ratchet tbh. Not longer, just "more". More epic, more modes, etc. They are done quicker because they make less ambitious games.

I do agree that ND fucked up letting Amy and Bruce go. Amy especially since she was forced out. But Bruce was clearly the one keeping Neil in check. now Neil is way over his head managing a studio, directing and writing games, and didnt seem to have anything lined up for the studio to do. Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan made Tenet last year and is already selling his script. He will shoot and edit it in two years like he always does while Neil has his guys working on a TLOU remake because hes got no idea what to do next.

studios change.

insomniac has progressively gotten better. ND has gotten worse. I think Spider-man is better than any of the PS4 ND games. TLOU 2 won GOTY awards but it really didn’t deserve it, kind of like when something like Mario Odyssey wins a GOTY award even though most people who are honest with themselves recognize it was a disappointment

I expect Sony’s studios to get better. Sucker Punch elevated their game with Ghost. Sony Santa Monica struggled this gen but redeemed themselves with GOTY if not GOTG quality title

it’s not that NDs output was bad, more that they didn’t live up to their PS3 expectations and didn’t really grow as a studio

SlimySnake

studios change.

insomniac has progressively gotten better. ND has gotten worse. I think Spider-man is better than any of the PS4 ND games. TLOU 2 won GOTY awards but it really didn’t deserve it, kind of like when something like Mario Odyssey wins a GOTY award even though most people who are honest with themselves recognize it was a disappointment

I expect Sony’s studios to get better. Sucker Punch elevated their game with Ghost. Sony Santa Monica struggled this gen but redeemed themselves with GOTY if not GOTG quality title

it’s not that NDs output was bad, more that they didn’t live up to their PS3 expectations and didn’t really grow as a studio
Spiderman is the best game they have made but Miles and Ratchet werent as good so I wouldnt say they have gotten progressively better. I actually think making Ratchet and Miles over a true Spiderman sequel was a big mistake in hindsight because that couldve been a 2021 release. a true next gen game that looks even a league ahead of ratchet.

I also think ND has raised their game tenfold compared to their output in the PS3 era. I loved the combat in Uncharted and TLOU, but TLOU2 is on another level. The level of detail in the game is simply unmatched when it comes to animations, gore, and overall graphics. Even the combat has improved a ton from the first TLOU.

Where they have faltered is storytelling. their writing is fine, but man they are not telling good stories. U4 was a snoozefest and TLOU2 was just the wrong idea at the wrong time and executed poorly. I think their level design in Lost Legacy is easily their best work in an Uncharted game. The writing was top notch, they made Nadine and Sam likeable, and it easily had their best setpiece ever. U4 was a misstep, but they have bounced back well in every department save for one. Storytelling.

P.S Odyssey was rated 98 on metacritic and didnt win any goty awards lol. Zelda took most of the awards and horizon mopped up the rest. TLOU2 is divisive but it cleaned up just like Witcher 3, BOTW, and GoW did. Like a 80-90% split.

Bryank75

Banned
More people are starting to see? Their last game just won the most game of the year awards both critically and gamers. Lol
Those awards didn't blind me to how poorly written it was.....

Political and brave...maybe. A solid story? Not even close in my opinion.

Spiderman is the best game they have made but Miles and Ratchet werent as good so I wouldnt say they have gotten progressively better. I actually think making Ratchet and Miles over a true Spiderman sequel was a big mistake in hindsight because that couldve been a 2021 release. a true next gen game that looks even a league ahead of ratchet.

I also think ND has raised their game tenfold compared to their output in the PS3 era. I loved the combat in Uncharted and TLOU, but TLOU2 is on another level. The level of detail in the game is simply unmatched when it comes to animations, gore, and overall graphics. Even the combat has improved a ton from the first TLOU.

Where they have faltered is storytelling. their writing is fine, but man they are not telling good stories. U4 was a snoozefest and TLOU2 was just the wrong idea at the wrong time and executed poorly. I think their level design in Lost Legacy is easily their best work in an Uncharted game. The writing was top notch, they made Nadine and Sam likeable, and it easily had their best setpiece ever. U4 was a misstep, but they have bounced back well in every department save for one. Storytelling.

P.S Odyssey was rated 98 on metacritic and didnt win any goty awards lol. Zelda took most of the awards and horizon mopped up the rest. TLOU2 is divisive but it cleaned up just like Witcher 3, BOTW, and GoW did. Like a 80-90% split.

miles and ratchet were different teams, and you weren’t getting a full blown next gen Spider-Man 2 in 2021 due to how development works. Ratchet was great, best in the series and had incredible production values. It’s a shame it won’t be topped anytime soon visually.

ND gameplay is fine. It’s not mind blowing. Level design this gen felt very safe and uninteresting. Combat is visceral, but it’s also very safe and not that huge of a departure from ps3. Their games haven’t evolved at all from a gameplay standpoint and their narrative choices aren’t as good as people blow smoke up their ass with.

so yeah. ND is fine, they make good games. They just don’t excite me anywhere near as much as when I played UC2 or TLOU for the first time.

I’m also sick of them doubling down on TLOU. I’m kind of over the series as this point and want something new. It’s sucks that we’re getting a remake and factions instead

Last edited:
The genre would be interesting, everything is possible. Quantic Dream style? Streets of Rage style? I just hope it's not "beating enemies up in circles" Batman/Spider-Man style and has tons of blood and dismemberments.

Naked Lunch

Wolverine has a 30 year long history of really, really shitty videogames. Godawful stuff.
Hopefully this one finally does the character justice.
Hes not a character that screams gameplay like a city swinging Spidey because Wolverine is all in your face hand to hand.
Interesting to see what they come up with.

I really hope its not another press X to win fights ala Batman Arkham or AssCreed.
Tone-wise i'd prefer the more real world Greg Rucka/Jason Aaron style over Jim Lee/90's Xmen cartoon.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The complaint has always been about when majority of your showing are CG after CG after CG like last year's E3. This year Xbox Showcases has had more gameplay snippets as did this Sony showcase. I personally don't care because its still exciting to see future games.

I agree that both are getting better, but its still a CGI trailer and people are drooling over it. it shouldn't get a pass. as I said Spiderman in their hands was amazing and I expect high things from this

nycnomad

Neo Member
I think everyone can rest easy with their concerns regarding the potential brutality of the combat or overall delivery of the blood soaked fantasy of being the old Canucklehead. Besides the obvious hint of this in the fact that Logan's hands were covered in dried blood there are a few more things to keep in mind.

Sunset Overdrive was rated M, so there is a precedent for Insomniac being comfortable with gory violence and that, in addition to the critical and commercial success of both the Logan and Deadpool films showing Marvel that you don't need to appease the tweens by toning down any elements that might throw your average PTA into a tizzy to ensure a healthy return on their investment.

I also think after what Insomniac were able to do with both Spiderman and Miles Morales Marvel is going to give them all the slack they need to fulfill their vision of who the character is, and his history of violence is a foundational element of it.

They have the pretty unique gift of remaining true to the tenets of the characters' lore while branching out to put their own stamp on them.

Insomniac is the best they are at what they do.

Tschumi

Look, i need to be even handed here. I prefer PS and Sony, no doubt, but i withheld judgement on countless XSX games which failed to feature gameplay in their big "reveal" last year, and so i must do the same here.

I know insomniac are who they are, I'm sure it'll be good and look incredible, but I'm going to pretend like this game doesn't exist for the time being.

Wonder if Jaffey wasn't angling to get a job on the game when he went off the reservation on a logo and a developer

ben carson t GIF

How is it exclusive? I thought Sony owned the rights to Spiderman and characters in that universe. Disney should have full rights again to XMen given the Fox purchase? Either way, will be pretty sweet to play an open world action game as Logan.

Sony owns the film and live action rights to Spiderman. Marvel owns everything else related to the character, including game rights. Thought it would be pretty clear by now but it seems like some people are still confused.

Marvel still made money even though SE put out a turd in Avengers that sold way less than expected. The licensor, especially on a license that big, will require a minimum sale guarantee from the licensee that is equal to the royalty rate times the minimum sales guarantee. That is usually an upfront payment. After the minimum is met then the licensee will make payments to the licensor on a quarterly or so basis. This is on top of usually having a one time licensing fee.

But yes, not as much money as they could have made if SE had handled the franchise correctly. They do love working with Sony though and it's working well for them. It's working just as well, if not better, for Sony though. IGs are extremely talented, but their Marvel games are printing money. I would bet that each SM game has outsold each of their other previous games

Square likely got some contracts through Sony.... for Marvel.

It kinda makes sense.

That's highly unlikely. I will go out on a limb and say no. There was a big hubbub between Marvel and SE when they announced Avengers and GoTG. Sony would have put restrictions in place if they sublicensed to SE (i.e. only on Playstation). Matter of fact they would have contracted SE and published the titles to get the publisher revenue from them. And that's before we talk about Firaxis also getting the Marvel license for their own game.

Disney gave the greenlight to Marvel and Lucas to whore themselves out. And whoring themselves out they are.

Marvel let Sony make a Spider-Man game so they could get him in the MCU
Nope. This has been confirmed by JSteveson.

Different divisions (SPE - Marvel Entertainment) for the film licensing rights and SIE - Marvel Games for the game licensing rights. The existing movie deal had no bearing on the games deal.

It's not that hard to follow or understand why it's exclusive. insomniac pitched the concept of a standalone title focused on wolverine. what sony and marvel saw, they must of been impressed with what insomniac pitched. seeing as insomniac is owned by Sony, Sony is footing the bill for the games cost and development. in exchange for publishing rights and exclusivity. similar to Marvel's spider man, and most likely similar to Indiana Jones with Microsoft and Lucas arts/Lucas films and Disney.

ambo

Neo Member
wonder if it will be open world?

I hope it’s more like Ratchet and Clank, with tighter and more focussed parts between open sections. I think with Spiderman it has to be one wide open world because New York and the swinging are integral to the character but Wolverine isn’t known for covering huge expanses quickly and he’s not linked to one particular location like Spiderman is to New York so they have more freedom to take him to different environments.

Dr Bass

Holy cow. Why do you keep making shit up on this board? You’re literally lying through your virtual teeth for reasons unknown.

A couple quick notes:

-“The problem is what’s next.” No it isn’t. They are clearly working on heir own timelines as to when they will reveal what. Sony has multiple major games coming out in the next six months or so. They will reveal more about what’s late in 2022 and behind in due time. Do you honestly think these companies that have been producing for many years if not more than a decade have suddenly forgotten how to produce software? You’re nuts if you think so.

-“Insomniac … literally don’t even have a face for their character model.” Wtf? You have insight into their development? You realize showing the face of freaking Logan would have revealed what the game was the instant it was shown right? That came at the end … it’s an artistic choice and it wasn’t even the game. You have NO INFORMATION as to the state of the games development and you’re going around here saying insomniac doesn’t have faces on character models.

So yeah, I’m not sure what’s up with the lies. You’re talking about the state of other software development houses that you do not work at and have zero insight on. These companies are basically executing at the highest level in the industry whether you like it or not. Their results speak for themselves. You’re making things up.

Stop.

Please.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Happy Parks And Rec GIF

Haven't play the Spiderman games but they look quite good.

Wolverine game by the same team ? Count me in !

A really pleasant surprise in a gaming age where everything leaks before official announcement (or I just miss the leak for this game).

Azurro

Banned
Insomniac just released Miles Morales and Rift Apart.

They just announced 2 new games which means they're in churn and burn mode. They're not looking to reinvent any wheels right now when Spider Man has been taking in the dough.

You really troll anything not on Xbox, like clockwork. I want to pinch your cheek, it's so cute. :)

On topic, I really hope this is the first actually good Wolverine game, and given the blood on Logan's knuckles, it won't be Pegi 13 either.

Top Bottom