• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Brizzo24

Depends on who you ask. I thought it was a horrible disappointment.

I wouldn't say a horrible disappointment, but the fact I was not overtly hyped and LOVED every other entry in the series I'm surprised I gave up on the game five hours in and haven't gone back since.

Nymphae

Banned
I wouldn't say a horrible disappointment, but the fact I was not overtly hyped and LOVED every other entry in the series I'm surprised I gave up on the game five hours in and haven't gone back since.

Totally, it was a disappointment to me in the sense that I loved the rest and this just doesn't compare, but I didn't have a lot of pre-release hype. I saw it through to the end, because I payed $90 bucks for the thing and I kept waiting for better bosses to show up.

I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt. Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn did not deserve their high marks, in my opinion.

havent played those games yet, but I'll agree in that I trust reviews less and less.

Mario Odyssey and BotW didnt deserve their *astronomical* praise either in my opinion.

I am pretty critical when it comes to high praised games in general though. I value my rating system since I have no one to impress, whereas most reviewers sell their words like cheap tricks for the views/clicks as it's their job

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
How so? He didn't feel like those games deserved the praise. I don't agree, but he's free to feel as such.

Because deserve has nothing to do with it. It's all subjective. He can disagree with all the praise, but to say God of War didn't deserve high praise is stupid. How is he going to tell a collection of people that they shouldn't have liked God of War as much as they did? Who is he? It's not like the game is My Little Pony and got a 94 on Metacritic!

Last edited:

nowhat

Because deserve has nothing to do with it. It's all subjective. He can disagree with all the praise, but to say God of War didn't deserve high praise is stupid.
First off all, just as a friendly suggestion, take a deep breath. Close your eyes. Chill.

Then, read again what you replied to originally:

I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt. Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn did not deserve their high marks, in my opinion.
"Deserve" is an inherently subjective feeling, for sure. But you'll note, there's the part after the comma in the second sentence, "in my opinion". Which means that those games not deserving such high marks is indeed his/her opinion. Also the first sentence would indicate the poster speaks very much for him/herself.

So, that was a personal opinion, one that (s)he surely is entitled to. Not an opinion that people in general should agree with according to the poster, I don't think that was ever implied.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
First off all, just as a friendly suggestion, take a deep breath. Close your eyes. Chill.

Then, read again what you replied to originally

lol it was such a harmless post. "In my opinion these highly rated games shouldn't have been rated so highly"

UM, HOW DARE YOU TELL OTHERS WHAT THEY CAN LIKE

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Because deserve has nothing to do with it. It's all subjective. He can disagree with all the praise, but to say God of War didn't deserve high praise is stupid. How is he going to tell a collection of people that they shouldn't have liked God of War as much as they did? Who is he? It's not like the game is My Little Pony and got a 94 on Metacritic!
I don't mean to speak for them, but to me it doesn't seem like he's not telling people they shouldn't have liked the aforementioned games, just that in his opinion he doesn't feel they warranted the praise they recieved. Had "in my opinion" not be included I'd agree with you, but he stated as such and thus I'm not sure why you're so adamant that he's wrong.

I hope I'm not coming off like a confrontational asshole just nitpicking for a fight.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Then, read again what you replied to originally:

"Deserve" is an inherently subjective feeling, for sure. But you'll note, there's the part after the comma in the second sentence, "in my opinion". Which means that those games not deserving such high marks is indeed his/her opinion. Also the first sentence would indicate the poster speaks very much for him/herself.

So, that was a personal opinion, one that (s)he surely is entitled to. Not an opinion that people in general should agree with according to the poster, I don't think that was ever implied.

1. Stop reading emotion into internet chatter when all you see are words. I'm already chill. Nobody is mad.
2. The poster was making comment on the opinion of the reviewers. He said "Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn did not deserve their high marks". I'm saying he can disagree with the high marks. That's fine. But he's not entitled to determine how the reviewers collectively felt about the game.

I don't mean to speak for them, but to me it doesn't seem like he's not telling people they shouldn't have liked the aforementioned games, just that in his opinion he doesn't feel they warranted the praise they recieved. Had "in my opinion" not be included I'd agree with you, but he stated as such and thus I'm not sure why you're so adamant that he's wrong.

I hope I'm not coming off like a confrontational asshole just nitpicking for a fight.

I don't think you are coming off as an A-hole at all. Just video game conversation. Sometimes us gamers (and I guess people in general) can be over-entitled in our opinions now that it's popular to leave a comment on a video, blog, forum, or social media platform. I'd love to ask what sort of marks did Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 deserve? Average marks? Low marks? Slightly high marks, just not super high marks?

Like the fact that the majority feel a certain way about those games should lead a person like @PerezDeCorcho to understand that his opinion is just outside the mainstream. And that's okay. There're plenty of games that are good to great that I couldn't get into. All the Yakuza games, Hotline Miami, XCOM, Persona 5, Dark Souls, etc. I don't like any of those games personally, but I think the high praise they got is fair. They just aren't for me. Who am I to say Persona 5 isn't a good game?

And it's funny that he named 2 Playstation exclusives and then in another Playstation exclusive review thread (where the game is scoring very well), he says this. I smell a little console waring going on when I read PerezDeCorcho PerezDeCorcho post.

lol it was such a harmless post. "In my opinion these highly rated games shouldn't have been rated so highly"

UM, HOW DARE YOU TELL OTHERS WHAT THEY CAN LIKE

Or........This is such a harmless thread. "New Spiderman game is great. Let me tell these guys how the big bad media got it wrong before by naming two other games that were reviewed well, but I hated them. HAHAHA!" It goes both ways.

Last edited:
I didn’t even mention God of War, you psychopath.

Edit: And for the record, I’ve enjoyed many first party Sony titles. I just find some of their most recent releases to be underwhelming.

Last edited:

nowhat

2. The poster was making comment on the opinion of the reviewers. He said "Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn did not deserve their high marks". I'm saying he can disagree with the high marks. That's fine. But he's not entitled to determine how the reviewers collectively felt about the game.
The quote you bolded was followed by ", in my opinion". The comma in there means that what follows relates to the preceding sentence. So, they didn't deserve their high marks, in his/her opinion.

Someone who is a native English speaker can pick this up from here if needed, as a non-native I'm hesitant to explain grammar further and will probably use completely wrong terminology (or already have).

Last edited:

Humdinger

But.. the person who was defending ''''exclusives''' is you, not me.

I simply said PS4 is having a great year and listed their exclusives. You're the one who insulted me and questioned SotC (wrong) and DQXI (already clarified as console exclusive). That's the kind of thing a console warrior does. I just responded with clarifications.

mckmas8808

Banned
I didn’t even mention God of War, you psychopath.

Edit: And for the record, I’ve enjoyed many first party Sony titles. I just find some of their most recent releases to be underwhelming.

My bad, I meant to say UC4 and HZD, not GOW. The bolded is how you give an opinion. You made the bolded totally about you and your feelings. That's how you do it. There was no reason to call me names or say other reviewers shouldn't have reviewed the other games well.

The quote you bolded was followed by ", in my opinion". The comma in there means that what follows relates to the preceding sentence. So, they didn't deserve their high marks, in his/her opinion.

Someone who is a native English speaker can pick this up from here if needed, as a non-native I'm hesitant to explain grammar further and will probably use completely wrong terminology (or already have).

Your understanding of English is great. i wouldn't have known it wasn't your native tongue had you not said so. You're doing fine. I guess the bottom line is this. A minority opinion will always feel weird to me when it completely goes against the mainstream thought and that person uses the word "deserves". It'll be like me saying Breath of the Wild didn't "deserve" to be nominated for Game of the Year by any video game website/Podcast/Youtuber.

When over 100 professionals review a game and over 7,000 users review a game and both give it a 90+ at some point your "opinion" that the game doesn't merit the praise rings hollow.

My bad, I meant to say UC4 and HZD, not GOW. The bolded is how you give an opinion. You made the bolded totally about you and your feelings. That's how you do it. There was no reason to call me names or say other reviewers shouldn't have reviewed the other games well.
You must have poor reading comprehension skills, because I never, at any point, suggested that reviewers should agree with my opinion.

Hence the “in my opinion” portion of the original post I made.

nowhat

I guess the bottom line is this. A minority opinion will always feel weird to me when it completely goes against the mainstream thought and that person uses the word "deserves". It'll be like me saying Breath of the Wild didn't "deserve" to be nominated for Game of the Year by any video game website/Podcast/Youtuber.
But as you said, "deserve" is very much a subjective term. One can feel that way, right?

When over 100 professionals review a game and over 7,000 users review a game and both give it a 90+ at some point your "opinion" that the game doesn't merit the praise rings hollow.
...and now you're starting to sound like some opinions would be more worthy than others. I'm personally in the camp of them being like assholes (i.e. everyone has one).

As an example - I didn't care that much for BotW! Got some 15-20 hours into it and haven't touched it since, it just didn't click with me. I can see why some are so into it, and there is a ton of stuff to do for sure. But personally it fails to answer "but why?", and I really don't like some of the mechanics. So, in my opinion, it doesn't deserve the title of GOTY, let alone GOAT.

See what I did there? That was completely subjective (truthful from my POV too, but that's beside the point). But I maintain it is within my right to have that opinion. I'll also let anyone else feel differently, but nothing to the contrary was implied at any point by PerezDeCorcho PerezDeCorcho

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
But as you said, "deserve" is very much a subjective term. One can feel that way, right?

...and now you're starting to sound like some opinions would be more worthy than others. I'm personally in the camp of them being like assholes (i.e. everyone has one).

As an example - I didn't care that much for BotW! Got some 15-20 hours into it and haven't touched it since, it just didn't click with me. I can see why some are so into it, and there is a ton of stuff to do for sure. But personally it fails to answer "but why?", and I really don't like some of the mechanics. So, in my opinion, it doesn't deserve the title of GOTY, let alone GOAT.

See what I did there? That was completely subjective (truthful from my POV too, but that's beside the point). But I maintain it is within my right to have that opinion. I'll also let anyone else feel differently, but nothing to the contrary was implied at any point by PerezDeCorcho PerezDeCorcho

It's all about context.

- We are in a review thread.
- The basic take away so far in this thread is that the new Spiderman game is really good.
- PerezDeCorcho PerezDeCorcho comes in and says that 2 other highly praised games didn't deserve high praise in his opinion

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that his point for saying that in this thread is for us to take the reviews of this game less serious and not think it "deserves" high 80s? He's clearly (regardless of what he's saying now) taking aim at the reviewers and the reviews that Sony 1st party games have gotten lately. He's clearly questioning the reviews of these games. He's not taking these collective scores at face value. He clearly doesn't trust them.

*Keypoint* He's not only giving his personal opinion on the games. He's questioning the reviews themselves. *Keypoint*

You must have poor reading comprehension skills, because I never, at any point, suggested that reviewers should agree with my opinion.

Hence the “in my opinion” portion of the original post I made.

I never said you did. But you clearly are questioning the high praise that those games received. And you clearly feel a certain type of way about the reviews that this game is receiving also, hence why you said your piece to begin with.

Last edited:
It's all about context.

- We are in a review thread.
- The basic take away so far in this thread is that the new Spiderman game is really good.
- PerezDeCorcho PerezDeCorcho comes in and says that 2 other highly praised games didn't deserve high praise in his opinion

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that his point for saying that in this thread is for us to take the reviews of this game less serious and not think it "deserves" high 80s? He's clearly (regardless of what he's saying now) taking aim at the reviewers and the reviews that Sony 1st party games have gotten lately. He's clearly questioning the reviews of these games. He's not taking these collective scores at face value. He clearly doesn't trust them.

*Keypoint* He's not only giving his personal opinion on the games. He's questioning the reviews themselves. *Keypoint*
Are you suggesting that I shouldn't question the reviews? Because that's kind of stupid.

nowhat

...which is perfectly within his/her right. And we can agree or disagree, perhaps even try to argue otherwise, that's kind of how forums work. But I cannot help to feel you are very much fighting a straw man here.

...which is perfectly within his/her right. And we can agree or disagree, perhaps even try to argue otherwise, that's kind of how forums work. But I cannot help to feel you are very much fighting a straw man here.
He's literally arguing that having a dissenting opinion is somehow a bad thing.

mckmas8808

Banned
Are you suggesting that I shouldn't question the reviews? Because that's kind of stupid.

Questioning reviews, in general, is mandatory. But imagine someone commenting after the new iPhone X review that iPhones aren't even good pieces of technology. Like at some point some products are so overwhelming held in high regard that saying the "iPhone X doesn't deserve to be regarded as a good piece of technology" is just a hollow opinion. I'm using the iPhone as an example of course.

He's literally arguing that having a dissenting opinion is somehow a bad thing.

I'm literally saying the opposite. I literally said it's okay to disagree with someone's opinion. I literally said that multiple times. You are the one that said it didn't deserve the high praise. Yet almost the whole world disagrees with you. If anything you are the one that's trying to rain on the concenus high praise parade. I'm just pointing that out.

I'm using the forum the way it was designed. There's no straw man here. By every reasonable metric those two games are regarded as very good games. I just don't like entitlement.

Last edited:
Questioning reviews, in general, is mandatory. But imagine someone commenting after the new iPhone X review that iPhones aren't even good pieces of technology. Like at some point some products are so overwhelming held in high regard that saying the "iPhone X doesn't deserve to be regarded as a good piece of technology" is just a hollow opinion. I'm using the iPhone as an example of course.
I said that I didn't think Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn were deserving of their praise. That doesn't mean I think every first party Sony title is somehow bad as well.

I'm literally saying the opposite. I literally said it's okay to disagree with someone's opinion. I literally said that multiple times. You are the one that said it didn't deserve the high praise. Yet almost the whole world disagrees with you. I'm just pointing that out.
You think I don't realize that? Lmfao

Last edited:
2nrhwdl.jpg

A friend of mine did it in about 35 hours. Not a platinum hunter, said it was really easy without even using a guide.

Vtecomega

Banned
What? God of War was the most incredible game of 2018 and it's a very strong (and very likely) contender for GOTY 2018. It's scores were definitely not overrated.

God of war, in my opinion is objectively one of most disappointing games I have played. 5 fucking years and all the creativity they could muster up was 6 generic enemies throughout the whole game? Yet Bloodborne with not even half of the budget has at least 30 that animate better.

Aside from the whole downgrade fiasco, I may have been a bit harsh on Insomniac. I think the latest trend with developers spewing a whole lot of bullshit on social media might not have helped.

87 on metacritic is about right for an insomniac game. They are always entertaining well made games that usually lack some depth.

Last edited:
God of war, in my opinion is objectively one of most disappointing games I have played. 5 fucking years and all the creativity they could muster up was 6 generic enemies throughout the whole game? Yet Bloodborne with not even half of the budget has at least 30 that animate better.

Aside from the whole downgrade fiasco, I may have been a bit harsh on Insomniac. I think the latest trend with developers spewing a whole lot of bullshit on social media might not have helped.

87 on metacritic is about right for an insomniac game. They are always entertaining well made games that usually lack some depth.

I'm pretty sure GOW had more than 6 enemies.

MaKTaiL

GoW was a complete overhaul from the previous games. They spent most of those 5 years developing a whole new engine for it which isn't easy. The game has a lot more going for it than just fighting enemies too. God of War story is one of the best adaptations of Norse mythology I've ever seen. It was perfectly crafted and planned. There are lot more enemy types than just 6 by the way.

Just because you didn't like the game doesn't mean it was overrated. I don't like Zelda but I can't deny it was a masterpiece in gaming development last year and it deserved all the scores it got.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

A friend of mine did it in about 35 hours. Not a platinum hunter, said it was really easy without even using a guide.
Tell your friend to adjust his TV screen to "Just Scan" and then adjust screen on PS4. His screenshots are coming out with black bars on the sides.

Tell your friend to adjust his TV screen to "Just Scan" and then adjust screen on PS4. His screenshots are coming out with black bars on the sides.

To be honest i haven't noticed that on the screenshot but i have seen the game at his TV and it was fine. TV settings and PS settings are also ok. I know that the trophy list can't be seen atm if you are online. Also maybe because he had it since 20 of August the game had no patch so that caused the black bars?

MaKTaiL

To be honest i haven't noticed that on the screenshot but i have seen the game at his TV and it was fine. TV settings and PS settings are also ok. I know that the trophy list can't be seen atm if you are online. Also maybe because he had it since 20 of August the game had no patch so that caused the black bars?

The game appears to be fine because his TV is zooming in on the image a bit which cuts the black bars from view. The screenshots show it. Once he changes to "Just Scan" he will notice the black bars. He can then procede to fix it by going to the PS4 screen settings and adjusting it to fit all the screen.

Last edited:
Yes i know what you mean. I'll tell him to check it. I know we did these things when he first got his 4K TV. Maybe he changed somethin. Nice catch though. Would never notice it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well, UPS tracking shows my copy arriving tomorrow at some point. I’m really excited, but... then.. there’s the Battlefield V beta... choices.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I see that Giant Bomb gave the game 4 stars, but they're doing something a bit different. On the review page, they only have like 3 paragraphs, but they have a video and podcast version where they're talking about the game for an hour and how it arrived at the score. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I really like it so far.

Zewp

After reading things like "a defining game for this generation" and everyone fawning over what a masterpiece it is, I bought the game yesterday.

5 hours in, all I can ask is: were these reviewers paid off? Because wow. Don't get me wrong, the game is good and I'm having fun with it for the most part. But a masterpiece? A defining game for this generation? With the way people were fawning over it, I was expecting another God of War or The Last of Us level game. But this is definitely not on that level. I would be surprised if people are still talking about this game 2 weeks from now, much less that anyone will remember it for years to come.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
After reading things like "a defining game for this generation" and everyone fawning over what a masterpiece it is, I bought the game yesterday.

5 hours in, all I can ask is: were these reviewers paid off? Because wow. Don't get me wrong, the game is good and I'm having fun with it for the most part. But a masterpiece? A defining game for this generation? With the way people were fawning over it, I was expecting another God of War or The Last of Us level game. But this is definitely not on that level. I would be surprised if people are still talking about this game 2 weeks from now, much less that anyone will remember it for years to come.

I agree for sure. It's a solid 8 for me. No where near generation defining. The open world stuff is pretty bare bones and is no diff than any other open world game.

Ka-Kui

I'll echo this same sentiment, the game isn't mindblowing (bear in mind I still haven't finished it).

It's just a very solid game and I'm having a lot of fun, but nothing particularly special.

Of course waypoint and polygon did not disappoint and put somehow trump in their reviews

I looked just to see how they possibly could mention Trump in a Spiderman review (I don't go to either normally), but I didn't see Trump mentioned in either review...

All of the gaming press now only deal in superlatives. It's because they can't actually write well.

EDIT: I apologize about the back to back posts. I was trying to do a multi-quote, but I blame it on the gin.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Spider-man has been interesting so far. I am still early into the game, but I am entertained by the web slinging and the storyline is quite good. My only gripe was the game freezing on me, and that's a technical issue that I am sure they will look into and patch it out.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Typical repetitive open world game.. overhyped AF. Can’t play games like that anymore after playing an open word game like Zelda botw.

I start to think the same... all the boards I go to are full of Spider-Man as well. It’s crazy how much of Spider-Man is basically everywhere now.
Especially on the day of release there like 3 unfunny and unoriginal posts of Spider-Man on the frontpage of Reddit with thousands of upvotes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom