• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Humdinger

Is Dragon Quest considered exclusive when it's on PC and Switch?

Console exclusive. You're right it's on PC, but it's not on Switch. Not yet. They've announced it's coming eventually, but there's no release date, not even a window afaik. (edit: the original is on 3DS, if we want to get picky.)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What do they say about the duration of the game? Only the story mode

EDIT: I see theres 30 hours!

Nice!!

Last edited:

Elios83

Great reviews, after the Shenmue Collection, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and DQXI an other great PS4 game I have to play.

Nethernova

I like insomniac games, but i just cannot care any less for comic IPs. Good for those who want this game though!

Codes 208

Im expecting upper 70's to mid 80's when all is said and through. Ill probably pick it up at best buy when it releases.

I like insomniac games, but i just cannot care any less for comic IPs. Good for those who want this game though!
I dont understand comments like this. If its not something up your alley then why are you here? Its like me going into every final fantasy review thread and spouting "final fantasy is for weebs but this is good for those who care!"

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Good reviews. Better than I expected. Would be nice if it was a 90+ but that was too much to ask. Still solid

Humdinger

These games aren't PS4 exclusives.

It's weird why people need to validate the library when the game don't review as well as they were expecting. -_-

No, I expected 85, so Spidey did better in the reviews than I expected. You sound like a defensive fanboy. Those games are exclusives. The remake of Shadow of the Colossus is a PS4 exclusive. DQ XI is a console exclusive, as I already said. A Switch version has been announced, but there is no release date or even window, so at the very least, it's a time-limited console exclusive.

Im expecting upper 70's to mid 80's when all is said and through. Ill probably pick it up at best buy when it releases.

It's at 87 based on 83 reviews. It's not going to slip much further.

Elenchus

Banned
No, I expected 85, so Spidey did better in the reviews than I expected. You sound like a defensive fanboy. Those games are exclusives. The remake of Shadow of the Colossus is a PS4 exclusive. DQ XI is a console exclusive, as I already said. A Switch version has been announced, but there is no release date or even window, so at the very least, it's a time-limited console exclusive.

It's at 87 based on 83 reviews. It's not going to slip much further.

I actually think it’s going to end up at either an 83 or 84 but either way it appears to be a good game...just not a great game. GOTY is now officially down to GOW or RDR2.

dolabla

Impressive. Sony should have the Spider-Man gaming license on lock now. Their first go round and they kill it. I figured they would.

Humdinger

I actually think it’s going to end up at either an 83 or 84 but either way it appears to be a good game...just not a great game. GOTY is now officially down to GOW or RDR2.

I guess we can check in a week and see.

I never thought of this as a GOTY contender, personally. I always figured that was going to be RDR 2 vs. God of War. I'm just glad Insomniac delivered a fun, high-quality game. That's good enough for me.

blackjon24

Sony sure is spending a lot bribing all these reviewers game after game lol

In all seriousness can't wait for this game dragon quest is going to have to wait a couple days

The Skull

Fairly redundant post man. If there's valid criticisms of this IP, then fair enough but not all comic IP's are the same. Feel free to list some and we can at least see your point of view.

Nethernova

Fairly redundant post man. If there's valid criticisms of this IP, then fair enough but not all comic IP's are the same. Feel free to list some and we can at least see your point of view.

Hmm, intention was actually trying to mean "i like the studio, i hope they do well. Personally wont be buying this because its not my kind of game since those IPs dont resonate with me, but great scores for people that are buying this. And i hope it sells well, because, again, i really enjoy Insomniac games and i hope they keep making games". There ya go.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its same with me with Star Wars. Even if Platinum Games made it I wouldn't buy the game because I just don't care for Star Wars at all.

The Skull

Hmm, intention was actually trying to mean "i like the studio, i hope they do well. Personally wont be buying this because its not my kind of game since those IPs dont resonate with me, but great scores for people that are buying this. And i hope it sells well, because, again, i really enjoy Insomniac games and i hope they keep making games". There ya go.

That's fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Rogas

Banned
Only two pages? Doesn't seem like this game is getting too much and the score seems like the status quo, Insomniac is better than Sucker Punch and Sony Bend but they're still far below top devs in the industry.

AlexxKidd

Only two pages? Doesn't seem like this game is getting too much and the score seems like the status quo, Insomniac is better than Sucker Punch and Sony Bend but they're still far below top devs in the industry.

There's currently three Spider-Man threads on the front page of GAF (it was 4 earlier) and this one at 74 posts has the fewest replies.

Typhares

Looks like a bunch of youtube video reviews got copystriked with Sony investigating:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nice to see it review well. I don't mind that it copies some stuff from the Batman games, although I'll wait for a sale before I buy it.

FranXico

Looks like a bunch of youtube video reviews got copystriked with Sony investigating:

That's either the usual YouTube copyright infringment detection algorithms fucking up or someone at Sony forgot to whitelist content on their end. This isn't Nintendo, after all.

Typhares

That's either the usual YouTube copyright infringment detection algorithms fucking up or someone at Sony forgot to whitelist content on their end. This isn't Nintendo, after all.

It's definitely a mistake since the reviewers got copies from Sony themselves. Seems MUSO the company making these strike works for Sony.
Still that's a dumb way to lose exposure.

Hayfield

Banned
i'm glad they didn't overrate it like God of War

i'm sure the game is still not worth the scores, but that's how sony exclusives are, at least they didn't exaggerate so that'a a good thing

Lol, maybe they're just making good games right now, just because you don't like something doesn't make it shit.

Hey everyone ignore the scores, xviper has deduced they are wrong because conspiracies or some shit!

Hayfield

Banned
Yeah except hype is tempting. I now know Sony stuff gets hyped to high heaven despite being just OK, so just putting it out there for others not to fall into the same trap.

It's a joke that this sort of shit gets spouted out seriously on this forum. This is just conspiratorial bollocks because you can't handle that it isn't your company of choice doing so well.

VulcanRaven

There is a lot of hype. Check other forums too and you see.

Humdinger

People complaining about there not being enough "hype on the forum" (assuming they aren't just console warriors) should remember that this is new GAF, which doesn't have a lot of traffic on the gaming side anymore. No games get a lot of attention, because there just aren't the number of posters here that were here before. It's growing, but it's still pretty small.

Also, there have been 6 to 8 different Spider-Man threads recently, so the discussion has been very spread out.

Valonquar

It's been a bit of a head scratcher to me that Disney hasn't assembled a real AAA team yet to develop real Marvel games. I guess the easy phone game market is enough.

DonF

It's been a bit of a head scratcher to me that Disney hasn't assembled a real AAA team yet to develop real Marvel games. I guess the easy phone game market is enough.
I guess they don't have the know how yet, so they just licence or produce games, rather than straight up creating a studio.

MaKTaiL

i'm glad they didn't overrate it like God of War

i'm sure the game is still not worth the scores, but that's how sony exclusives are, at least they didn't exaggerate so that'a a good thing
What? God of War was the most incredible game of 2018 and it's a very strong (and very likely) contender for GOTY 2018. It's scores were definitely not overrated.

I was expecting review scores of 7's or 8's, so it's really good to see the positive reviews. My copy has been dispatched already, so hopefully I'll receive it tomorrow

Nymphae

Banned
From the Polygon review

For better and worse, Spider-Man is a meticulously rendered throwback to old Spidey films and games, to the last decade of open-world game design and to an easy style of superhero storytelling we rarely get to see anymore.

Fuck yes.

I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt. Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn did not deserve their high marks, in my opinion.

xviper

What? God of War was the most incredible game of 2018 and it's a very strong (and very likely) contender for GOTY 2018. It's scores were definitely not overrated.
yes it's one of the best games of 2018 (it's not in my top 3 though)

but 94 MC ?? that's too much, considering Witcher 3 got 92 MC which is a crime because Witcher 3 deserves at least 97 like BOTW, even Uncharted 4 which is considered a bad uncharted game by a lot of people, got 93 MC just because it's exclusive, critics have been easy on Sony exclusives

i predicted that Spider man would got 87-90 MC even though it won't deserve it and i think the game actually deserves 70's, but i'm glad they didn't exaggerate and gave it a 90+ score

Nymphae

Banned

Depends on who you ask. I thought it was a horrible disappointment.

Top Bottom