• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PC | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Miles-Morales-Feature.png

Game Information

Game Title: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PC (Nov 18, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: Insomniac Games

Publisher: Sony

Review Aggregator:

MetaCritic - 90 average - 10 Reviews

35dA3WK.jpg

Critic Reviews:

GamesRD - 10/10

This is just another port that enriches the library of PC gamers with its excellent graphics, evolved gameplay and an outstanding optimization. It is a worthy mini sequel to the original game that was underappreciated by the community with its interesting story and quite engaging narrative.
TouchArcade - 10/10
If you’ve not played Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales before, the PC version is an easy recommendation on Steam Deck. Miles Morales is a tighter and more focused take on the formula than the original game with better combat and a brilliant use of licensed music. The story is perfect to experience during the holiday season as well. It has been about two years since its PlayStation debut, and Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales has aged brilliantly. It is yet another ‘perfect on Steam Deck’ experience from Sony.
God is a Geek - 9.5/10.0
Yet again, Miles Morales on Steam Deck and PC is another PlayStation triumph, with the only real negative the fact that it has longer loading times than on PS5.
GamingTrend - 9.0/10.0
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a triumph of a game, and now even more people can experience it. That experience may not be as stable as on PlayStation 5 given the diversity of hardware, however there’s also a lot more under the hood than you’d get on a console. With all of that in tow, including gorgeous ray tracing and a glut of accessibility options, it’s like Miles getting Venom abilities: more power to an already powerful entity. Just like Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered before it, Miles Morales makes the leap and sticks to the wall.
GameSpew - 9.0/10.0
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales was a brilliant game when it launched in 2020, and it remains so now. Its origins as a standalone expansion means it’s noticeably shorter than Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, but it has a more enjoyable story and improved gameplay. It makes swinging through the streets of New York City, combating crime as you go, an utter delight. And this PC port is pretty much flawless.
GamingBolt - 9.0110.0
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, in acting as a short middle chapter between Marvel’s Spider-Man and its upcoming sequel, doesn’t really have the luxury to introduce radical new concepts that might turn the game on its head. Rather, it’s a fun, short romp through New York once again, but this time as a new protagonist. Its tightly-paced plot tells a great coming of age story for a new Spider-Man, and its greatest strength is the fun ensemble cast.
Dexerto - 8.0/10.0
If you're a fan of Insomniac's original Spider-Man outing, or just want a thinner experience than the main game, you can do worse than Miles Morales. The PC port is outstanding in a lot of different ways, and yes, if you're on Steam Deck, you'll have a great time too.

jaysius

Banned
Spider-Man PS4 and the remaster was a great product, this game wasn't. This game was middling and mediocre at best, instead of adding to the formula what it did was pad and expand in the worst ways possible. The characters aren't as interesting and the combat with the addition of Venom moves is far worse. They throw too many enemies that are buffed and require the Venom powers to debuff, it really kills the flow of the combat and the feel of the game overall.

This game is a 7.5/10 and that's being generous. Unless you REALLY LOVE IT you'll be tired of the game about halfway through it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
oh boy this boutta be lit. I played the 2018 one and i still quite like it so itll be cool to see what they improved on in this newer version

Pedro Motta

Spider-Man PS4 and the remaster was a great product, this game wasn't. This game was middling and mediocre at best, instead of adding to the formula what it did was pad and expand in the worst ways possible. The characters aren't as interesting and the combat with the addition of Venom moves is far worse. They throw too many enemies that are buffed and require the Venom powers to debuff, it really kills the flow of the combat and the feel of the game overall.

This game is a 7.5/10 and that's being generous. Unless you REALLY LOVE IT you'll be tired of the game about halfway through it.
Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I just can't get into big games on deck... but probably because it's my first ever handheld and I am too old :(
But my 8yo nephew will have good christmass wink wink
tbh i don't really like handhelds all that much, mainly due to their limiting control schemes and lack of gigantic games. Steam Deck fixes both of these, so i really really really want to get one

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Can`t trust reviews, especially for PC. Spider-Man on PC had awful performance and nobody called it out. A 9900K couldn`t even hold 60fps no matter the resolution and it was even worse for older mid-tier CPUs.

Orta

Banned
Probably a dumb question but then I don't pay much attention to the playstation scene, this is a completely different game to the Spiderman game that came out on the ps4 years ago, isn't it?

I have/had it in my head it is the same game with extra content and spruced up PS5 graphics. No?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking forward to Digital Foundry’s performance breakdown.

If they did away with Spider-Man’s bloat, then I’m interested.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Probably a dumb question but then I don't pay much attention to the playstation scene, this is a completely different game to the Spiderman game that came out on the ps4 years ago, isn't it?

I have/had it in my head it is the same game with extra content and spruced up PS5 graphics. No?

It's entirely new story with lot different side actives and abilities.

Elios83

Perfect game for Christmas given the setting, I loved it as a PS5 launch title and it's also more focused that the original so more intense.
People playing it now on PC will be pleased while we're waiting for Spiderman 2 this time next year.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Once DFs check clears we will have their performance analysis:

"Stunning port by nixxes once again 4k 60 with DLSS3 on a 4090 and 7950X"

On our mainstream config test we have our everyday PC for web browsing and Oregon trail with a RTX 3060 16 GB DDR5 and an 7600X and the game matches ps4 performance and visuals to a T: Solid 1080p 30 fps high settings here. Amazing scalability across the board.

The port also runs on ancient hardware. The 1080ti for instance is running the game at 720p 30 FPS low settings with FSR on. But we think it's a reasonable showing for such obsolete hardware. The fact that your PC is not set on fire when booting this game is testament to nixxes coding prowness.

FInally steam deck is able to run the game at 320x 240 dynamic res at 30fps. You can enjoy a total playtime of 15 minutes. Great work!!!

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
tbh i don't really like handhelds all that much, mainly due to their limiting control schemes and lack of gigantic games. Steam Deck fixes both of these, so i really really really want to get one
Oh for sure you can customize controls ANY WAY you like on the deck. There are even handy community profiles. Installed FEAR, downloaded profile and it works great.
So yeah, it is perfect. I am just not comfortable playing graphically busy games on a handheld. B

Hot5pur

$35 on keysites...hmmm...for 7.5 hour of gameplay, but apparently the side content is pretty good?
Might pick this up closer to the holidays, NYC in the snow + holiday vibe seems like a good time.

Swift_Star

Banned

The combat is leaps and bounds better than the OG game lol.
Miles is a better character than Peter.
The villains are boring, with that I can agree.
Easily 8.5~9/10 game.

Last edited:
I think Miles Morales (MM) is best viewed as DLC for the main Spiderman game.
It's not, it's a standalone title...but it isn't a full fat experience in the way Spiderman is.

The main Spiderman game is better in every way, but that's not to say MM is a bad game, because, in my opinion, it's not.
It looks great, the combat is top notch, the web slinging is as intuitive and enjoyable as ever - it just doesn't have as good a story or characters as Spiderman.

I'd give Spiderman an 8.8/10 and MM a 8.0/10.

Personally, I'd still recommend MM, and on pc it will be even more of a spectacle than it was on ps5.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Looks like tech analysis from the usual suspects are still WIP. Any PC players here who can provide initial performance insights? Curious to see if my prediction was correct.

The combination of high textures and RT is pushing VRAM requirements.

Spiderman Remastered is doing nothing fancy with streaming at 200mb. The CPU asset decompression is minimal in the context of current gen, yet it is causing performance to not be in step with hardware differential. To my knowledge, this is the first PS5 only game with RT that has been ported to PC so it makes sense this is the first time we are seeing such a disparity. Miles Morales is up next and if I'm not mistaken the textures and/or geometry was slightly higher in that game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm of the rare opinion it seems that MM was better than Spiderman. I liked that it was shorter. I found the set pieces better, the experience was more consice and I didnt get bored with it half way through like I did with the original Spiderman game. Both are very good games of course, but I found the pacing of the first too boring and long in the tooth, where as MM gets more to the point faster. Also its ending is much better.

kiphalfton

Miles Morales was better than the original. Less bloat and more focused main quest with beautiful winter setting. The charismatic villains were fairly absent though.
The winter setting is absolutely breathtaking. The music is great as well. Tonally, move set wise, and character wise I like it better than the base Spider-Man game.

It's going to be a tough pill to swallow going back to Peter Parker move set, unless Insomniac overhauls what he can do. Miles has way more style, and is just a more fun character to play l.

Mr Hyde

It's going to be a tough pill to swallow going back to Peter Parker move set, unless Insomniac overhauls what he can do. Miles has way more style, and is just a more fun character to play l.

I think you're going to play as both in the sequel. At least that's what I took away from the trailer. I agree Miles have more style and flair. He is the better Spiderman.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Jebus took me forever to get the Epic Games store controller inputs working on the Steam Deck for this game, finally working.

I think Miles Morales (MM) is best viewed as DLC for the main Spiderman game.
It's not, it's a standalone title...but it isn't a full fat experience in the way Spiderman is.

The main Spiderman game is better in every way, but that's not to say MM is a bad game, because, in my opinion, it's not.
It looks great, the combat is top notch, the web slinging is as intuitive and enjoyable as ever - it just doesn't have as good a story or characters as Spiderman.

I'd give Spiderman an 8.8/10 and MM a 8.0/10.

Personally, I'd still recommend MM, and on pc it will be even more of a spectacle than it was on ps5.

Miles haas better combat and less bloat.

I also don’t feel comfortable calling it DLC when the original already had DLC and it wasn’t that great

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
3080 10gb running Miles Morales at native 4k/High settings. Similar performance as PS5 with FPS in the 40s. VRAM maxed out with lower texture quality than PS5. Wow, called it. DirectStorage GPU decompression is a must for current gen.

Mister Wolf

3080 10gb running Miles Morales at native 4k/High settings. Similar performance as PS5 with FPS in the 40s. VRAM maxed out with lower texture quality than PS5. Wow, called it. DirectStorage GPU decompression is a must for current gen.

I'll wait until I see the Returnal port. It's a current gen only UE4 game.

Miles haas better combat and less bloat.

I also don’t feel comfortable calling it DLC when the original already had DLC and it wasn’t that great
Saying it was like DLC was more about it existing within the same Spiderman universe of the "main game" and its considerably shorter run time.

I don't agree it has better combat - though I do get what you mean about it having "less bloat".

The story in MM is more focused but I didn't mind the filler in Spiderman.

All those collectibles boiled down to more web slinging which, for me at least, never got boring no matter how much I did it.

I feel like that first game was pitched just right in terms of its length... though, I definitely could have done with less of those ridiculous laboratory computer mini games.

Last edited:
I'm of the rare opinion it seems that MM was better than Spiderman. I liked that it was shorter. I found the set pieces better, the experience was more consice and I didnt get bored with it half way through like I did with the original Spiderman game. Both are very good games of course, but I found the pacing of the first too boring and long in the tooth, where as MM gets more to the point faster. Also its ending is much better.
I liked the swinging better in miles and the set piece moments more

Gaiff

Gold Member

You called the PS5 having RT shadows? Because the PC version does.

Top Bottom