• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Digital Foundry Tech Review - Welcome To The Next Generation

Imtjnotu

WPg74ZX.gif
That 70% SSR doing work son

On console compared to what ? he talk like there are a dozen of console games
that have RT

Compared to Watchdogs I'm guessing. The Medium was also supposed to have Ray Tracing but it was delayed to next year. Then there's Devil May Cry Special Edition which does have Ray Tracing on the PS5 at launch.

Other than that I don't know of any other console games they have it at launch.

I mean theres Ratchet and Clank but that's not a launch title.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Just because MM uses RT reflections doesn't indicate in any form that the PS5 is more powerful than many thought. What did people think? That it wouldn't do RT when it was introduced to have it to begin with?

Do me a fucking favour. You went on and on and on for months that PS5 wasn't powerful enough for even native 4k games aswell as RT because your precious 2080ti couldn't do it. You were wrong. Admit it, apologise and move on.

Do me a fucking favour. You went on and on and on for months that PS5 wasn't powerful enough for even native 4k games aswell as RT because your precious 2080ti couldn't do it. You were wrong. Admit it, apologise and move on.

Does the 2080Ti have dedicated Ray Tracing hardware?

Just trying to figure out if that's the reason why the PS5 is doing ray tracing this early.

Vick

Gold Member
Damn man, these last couple of days must have been rough for him. This is exactly how i picture the thing, with Cerny being the man holding the paper:

DeafeningPeskyLarva-size_restricted.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yo ass better stop making fun of BG3 it’s the most fun I’ve had with any game in a long time. I did however laugh at the post 🤦🏽‍♂️

Well, it can be so much fun, but I don't play those games even if given for free. But you and MasterCornholio MasterCornholio didn't get the context. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Imaging calling that next gen graphical showcase while shitting on Spiderman MM.:lollipop_fearful:

sinnergy

Sony fanboys acting like RT reflections are the most impressive use of the tech 😂

It looks great but has nothing on games that use things like RT GI, or even AO, and many games use multiple techniques!
Yup, biggest visual improvements will be the shift to RT GI and shadowing .

Well, it can be so much fun, but I don't play those games even if given for free. But you and MasterCornholio MasterCornholio didn't get the context. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Imaging calling that next gen graphical showcase while shitting on Spiderman MM.:lollipop_fearful:

I have him on ignore.

Redlight

It’s ridiculous he’s not been banned yet tbh.

Would make it the third different forum I’ve seen him banned on too for trolling Sony games rofl. Guys completely obsessed.
Banned for what? Being right? Raytracing has been consistently downplayed and dismissed on this site. Now as soon as people start to see the benefit we jump right to 'Raytracing is awesome but only in Sony games'. The hypocrisy is pretty stark.

Now you want him banned for daring to notice and comment on it? Sheesh.

Banned for what? Being right? Raytracing has been consistently downplayed and dismissed on this site. Now as soon as people start to see the benefit we jump right to 'Raytracing is awesome but only in Sony games'. The hypocrisy is pretty stark.

Don't you mean that ray tracing was constantly being dismissed and downplayed on the PS5? I remember one of the first rumors was that the PS5 wouldn't be capable of it.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem that's exactly the kind of thing I'm making a reference to.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It was getting heavily downplayed by PC gamers, not PS nor Xbox console gamers. He should take his crusade elsewhere, console gamers only talking about RT recently. I remember how PC gamers became rabid in 2018, so making it Sony fans problem now is just going full retard and hypocrite.

sinnergy

Don't you mean that ray tracing was constantly being dismissed and downplayed on the PS5? I remember one of the first rumors was that the PS5 wouldn't be capable of it.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem that's exactly the kind of thing I'm making a reference to.
Was it that weird ? Sony was rather vague about it ? MS open about the tech powering Series . We life in a open world .. better is disclosing information, sooner .

Last edited:
Was it that weird ? Sony was rather vague about it ? MS open about the tech powering Series . We life in a open world .. better is disclosing information, sooner .

Not really they talked about how it worked in the road to PS5 and they said it's the same way that AMD is doing it with RDNA2. We have the white paper for RDNA2 now so it's easy to learn about the intersection engines.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sony is showing it in launch games. Ok now get your facts straight:

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he’s received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.” (A belief born out by my own Twitter mentions, which for a couple of weeks in April made a graphics-rendering technique seem like the only thing the internet had ever cared about.)

Time: 8-October-2019, 8:00AM.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This shot in particular demonstrates how Insomniac are technical wizards. Look at the 100+ pedestrians and cars in this shot, in 4K with RT on top...it'll take a while before this is topped.

Ratchet looks stunning but hasnt got the density of NPCs like this.

It was shocking that it was NATIVE 4K! Didn't think PS5 would manage that. Crazy results with insane RT draw distance as well! Imagine how it'll be few years from now when SWWS take full advantage of the Geometry Engine and all the perks inside that magic box?

Sony is showing it in launch games. Ok now get your facts straight:

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he’s received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.” (A belief born out by my own Twitter mentions, which for a couple of weeks in April made a graphics-rendering technique seem like the only thing the internet had ever cared about.)

Time: 8-October-2019, 8:00AM.

Then later in the Road to PS5 he explained how it works.

Another major new feature of our custom RDNA2 based GPU is Ray-Tracing.

Using the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs.

The CUs contain a new specialized unit called the Intersection Engine which can calculate the intersection of rays with boxes and triangles.

And AMD already released the white paper for RDNA2 so more information can be found there.

This shot in particular demonstrates how Insomniac are technical wizards. Look at the 100+ pedestrians and cars in this shot, in 4K with RT on top...it'll take a while before this is topped.

Ratchet looks stunning but hasnt got the density of NPCs like this.

Which actually will allow Insomniac to either have even more amazing RT in Ratchet as there is less to put in the BVH or put the budget into rendering even more CGI graphics (as Ratchet is already Pixar level this would be amazing to see).

They did? Can I have the link, please?:lollipop_grinning_eyes:

They didn't yet? I thought it came out shortly after they had their RDNA2 event.

My mistake then. But I did see people posting pictures if the CU structure that showed the RT hardware in it.

Was that from the event and not the white paper?

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
B-but I was told by the people on GAF that WD:L had better ray tracing than Miles Morales!

On PC at Ultra, it does have better raytracing reflections. How should Spider-Man be better?
While in WD, even particle effects are being reflected, Spider-Man has more trade-offs because it needs to hit a certain framerate with less compute power compared to a 3080 for example. On consoles it's different of course, WD L is not well optimized.
Which is obvious and doesn't mean that Spidey isn't impressive.

Last edited:

Md Ray

They didn't yet? I thought it came out shortly after they had their RDNA2 event.

My mistake then. But I did see people posting pictures if the CU structure that showed the RT hardware in it.

Was that from the event and not the white paper?
I assume you're talking about this?
619823be-4738-4c4e-a6aa-03aa7fdcbb65.jpg

This was just an overview of sort from AMD's RDNA 2 page.

When I google "RDNA 2 white paper" I only get results showing RDNA 1 white paper. So not yet.

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about this?
619823be-4738-4c4e-a6aa-03aa7fdcbb65.jpg

This was just an overview of sort from AMD's RDNA 2 page.

When I google "RDNA 2 white paper" I only get results showing RDNA 1 white paper. So not yet.

That's the one. I'm assuming the PS5 does the same thing since Cerny said the CUs are RDNA2 ones and they are using the same RT hardware as the PC cards.

Shame we don't have the white paper yet.

Top Bottom