• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Digital Foundry Tech Review - Welcome To The Next Generation

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love Larian Studios and their games especially their Divine Divinity franchise but Baldurs Gate 3 doesn't look next gen to me. Still looks nice though and will be getting it.

200.gif

Hunnybun

Naw man. RT made little to no difference IMO before spiderman and the latest watchdogs game. Both these games are displaying a huge amount of reflective surface which is essentially duplicating the world detail X2. It makes sense to me why people are impressed by RT in these two games.

I would have to concur.

Watch Dogs and MM are the only times I've been truly impressed by RT reflections.

I'm not sure why Control never impressed me that much - I accept it's more technically advanced but I just don't really like the look of that game.

The only other RT that's really grabbed me is the GI in Metro Exodus.

bender

What time is it?
I would have to concur.

Watch Dogs and MM are the only times I've been truly impressed by RT reflections.

I'm not sure why Control never impressed me that much - I accept it's more technically advanced but I just don't really like the look of that game.

Quake?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I would have to concur.

Weird I feel the other way around, loved RT in Control and felt meh on Metro....I guess the uses of RT can be like artistic choices some like some don't.

bender

What time is it?

Damn, those are awesome.

I keep trying to talk myself into Miles Morales. Hearing all the impressions are encouraging and I think that they trimmed out a lot of the fat of the previous game is fantastic news. ...but when I see game play videos I return to apathy. It doesn't look bad or anything, I think it's just too soon.

Sorry Demon's Souls, I'm not a fan of souls games. Spiderman MM is my first celebration of next gen!

EmLE8OjWMAA_DGt

EmPZujsVoAA0tqO

EmPZsz_UcAEm89B

EmKObpRXIAE2VUx

I really love those suits of the Remastered!

EmHjHlLVgAE6FlR

EmHjHlNU0AATrQK
Well, you need to coop with me in Boletaria.
You're gonna finish Spider-Man MM in few days. It's like 8 hours main missions and probably another 5 for side missions.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Damn, those are awesome.

I keep trying to talk myself into Miles Morales. Hearing all the impressions are encouraging and I think that they trimmed out a lot of the fat of the previous game is fantastic news. ...but when I see game play videos I return to apathy. It doesn't look bad or anything, I think it's just too soon.

I'm more excited about Horizon FW and GOW: Ragnarok honestly, but SM MM is a good start!

Well, you need to coop with me in Boletaria.
You're gonna finish Spider-Man MM in few days. It's like 8 hours main missions and probably another 5 for side missions.

Then I'll buy AC Valhalla, Gold Edition.:messenger_moon:

I only played the 1st hour of the original and few hours in the sequel. I felt like dying of boredom. Then plaued some Farcry 2 and felt the same. Never touched an Ubisoft game after that ever and not gonna happen anytime soon.

Hunnybun

And many xbox/pc fans say the same thing about their 3rd party games being downplayed by the Sony fans because those games are available to every platform and not just one. We should all put every Sony exclusive review thread on ignore to filter out the continuous false revelations of new technology suddenly being the new de facto standard despite the tech having come out over 2yrs ago with many many examples of it's use.

It's funny how you consider me 'downplaying' a Sony game when I mention there is nothing special about it both tech-wise and implementation wise. It's like I absolutely have to be on board with it being the greatest thing since sliced bread in order to not have the 'downplay' label attached to my name. So funny..

Tbh mate I think people just want you to shut the fuck up and stop ruining threads us PS "fanboys" want to use to discuss stuff we're excited about.

If that bothers you so much maybe you should look for another forum - OR, radical idea, I know - stay out of PlayStation threads.

Rikkori

Wow! This looks so good it's unimaginable they could do it on the Playstation 4, this is truly a next-gen leap! Thank you Sony for the power of PS5, I don't even want to imagine still making these games for current gen, they would look just... yuck. The NPCs probably would be 2 every 5 miles, the swinging speed would have to be reduced by 90%, and there would no shadows or even lighting alone, let alone reflections! And all would have to run at 720p (oh God, like the Switch! gasp) Again, thank you Sony for the PS5. #PowerYourSSDreams

Last edited:
Wow! This looks so good it's unimaginable they could do it on the Playstation 4, this is truly a next-gen leap! Thank you Sony for the power of PS5, I don't even want to imagine still making these games for current gen, they would look just... yuck. The NPCs probably would be 2 every 5 miles, the swinging speed would have to be reduced by 90%, and there would no shadows or even lighting alone, let alone reflections! And all would have to run at 720p (oh God, like the Switch! gasp) Again, thank you Sony for the PS5. #PowerYourSSDreams

You disagree with Digital Foundry?

<iframe src='' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='404'></iframe>

Last edited:

Senua

So sexy, would have to be 60fps mode for me though even tho i'd miss out on the chode tingling reflections

600dKMw.png

PS4 version barely has lighting, the hair rendering is awful and there's no self shadowing in sight.

You can get PS4 games to run on PS3, they would just look really fucking bad.

Thank you Sony for showing us what next gen gaming is like from day one!

Last edited:
The LOD in the photo mode of the npc pedestrian was jaw dropping. That crazy detail is some next generation stuff. That level of LOD on just one NPC in an open world is some magic which the geometry engine makes possible.
Why are you showing reflections instead of texture detail on the ground? If you want to do comparisons between the RT games, pick up this discussion in my ray-tracing thread.

This is the most impressive RT implementation I've seen. Why does WD not look as good? I read that the RT in WD is 'short', so more detailed but doesn't travel far like the bonkers skyscraper reflections in SM.

Yo ass better stop making fun of BG3 it’s the most fun I’ve had with any game in a long time. I did however laugh at the post 🤦🏽‍♂️

To be fair people using it as an example of a next gen game are being disrespectful to the developers. What I mean by that is that the studio isn't exactly a gigantic one with a massive budget. The visuals reflect that but it's still going to be an incredible game.

Edit: I just saw that they have over 250 employees so the size of the studio isn't an issue. It's probably a design choice for them because they want the game to be playable on a variety of systems.

Last edited:

Umbral

Why is everyone I’ve seen in the footage ugly, have an awful voice, or is corny? Miles being the biggest offender. They should have used Spiderverse Miles.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

Honest question? Are you a child using your mom or dad’s account. You surely cannot be an adult and act this way. This is quite the embarrassment. Try to grow up a little and discuss things instead of using low IQ replies.

People are going to enjoy these games, just as they do on the XBox one. See how easy that was?

Neo Blaster

Don't care as the main story is only 8-10 hours long, 0/10.
Side missions and collectibles will boost this time like any other open world. Don't be so bitter just because competition AAA next gen exclusives are 0 hours long at the moment.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran

Look at Nxgamer's review of Watchdogs. Let's be honest, the new watchdogs does not even look as good as the initial trailer for the first watchdogs. The city of London is set in a sunny/bright setting. Miles Morales is set in winter in New York, whatever you prefer, the artsyle of these two weather settings or locales varies, but technically Miles Morales is way ahead of WD. When the entire map can be swung around from ontop where you can draw so much more detail including RT reflections across buildings and surfaces whilst zipping over a massive map, come and talk to me, where you can't hide or obfuscate detail based on the high top view of MM, where you can easily hide background and distant elements/buildings/detail in WD.......

Yet still, as you would see, there are lots of low rez textures and assets all over in Watch Dogs, the lighting is less pronounced and let's not forget that Spiderman is being rendered at 4k native at 30fps locked with top notch IQ since they are using a neat supersampling feature. No DLSS BS here that does not always approximate background detail well, what we have here is a quality looking game from a quality studio where all aspects of the pipeline is at a high quality......Top notch character models, high quality detail and textures, high quality effects, hell even NPC's have more detail than in many of your Turing RTX games. This is the real deal, everybody sees it, not because they are biased for Sony, but because it's the truth. Even DF has lots of bias, but as much as they try to downplay Sony games at times and nitpick, they can't deny Sony First party studios, their quality speaks for itself and supercedes any bias that will pop up...

I also have some sad news, MM is just the start. If you are triggered by this, just you wait....PD are going to light some fire pretty soon, we know they are the lighting gods.....Also, have you seen footage of Killzone Shadowfall a launch game running at 60fps, a launch 2013 game, better pray this PS4 launch game does not get an RT 4k patch....I shudder to think what the big boys will show come playtime, remember Miles is still a cross gen game and it's already at pole position easily...

Top Bottom