• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, shunned by association, but converting people by the day (some spoilers)

Do you like the game?

• I absolutely love the game, brilliant

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • I like the game, not incredible, but solid

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • It's alright, average, worth playing if you are into linear story heavy games

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • I didn't like it much

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I didn't like it at all, I thought it was a bad game

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Never played it, never will

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Never played it, but I will

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
It was affected by the vibe of Marvel's Avengers and the character designs that didn't mimic the movie, and the reveal was received with a hu-hum as people expected it to follow another games-as-a-service model. Nothing can be further from the truth. While I can see how some would view it as too slow, I was impressed by it. There might be a reason to question if they should have presented the game differently when they revealed it.

The sales are estimated to be around 1.5 million. That is low for such a big game, but there is a groundswell of fan enthusiasm, the Steam reviews are "Overwhelmingly Positive", the Metacritic user scores are high, and I see people mentioning the game constantly. Hopefully, people still buy the game well into 2022 and it gets its due.

My impressions (23-hour playthrough on PC):

Good
- The best voice-acted game of 2021, absolutely massive amount of dialogue, a lot of different characters are voiced, all of it impressive.
- From beginning to end, the banter is more comprehensive than perhaps any other game. They talk to each other during the entire game rather than just popping in once in a while during some walking sections.
- Most of the dialogue is written well and pulls off the dynamic of the Guardians.
- The game looks great.
- There is a great scale to the environments, great vistas, cool places. Always interesting to land on a new planet.
- There are some interesting turns to the story that makes you want to see what's next.
- Apart from some of the facial animations, most of the work they have done on presentation is impressive, from audio to visuals. Good soundtrack.
- While the combat has some flaws, when it works it's fun, it's satisfying to line up massive combo-attacks.
- The game puts a lot of effort into making the team feel like individuals with their own wants and desires, it wants you to like them and grow on them, which you do.
- The teammates work well during combat.
- Some good ideas like the rally mechanic in combat, the refrigerator door not closing (IMO the best part of the story, you close it the entire game, then during one of the flashbacks you do it at home, creating a context for it, connecting the future Star-Lord to his home on earth and his childhood), the Storm Rider song in the bar, the crew singing Drax's war song.

Things I'm Skeptical About But Don't Dislike Enough To Call It Bad
- The game features a lot of sections where you walk around doing light environment puzzles, there are times where I felt they needed to cut down on some of that or come up with more unique puzzles, rather than the same ones over and over.
- The beginning is slow. The game ramps up the amount of combat encounters as the game move on, but the first missions can feel too slow.
- Sometimes you can get tired of constantly spamming abilities rather than focusing on fighting as Star-Lord.
- If you don't get into the characters and their constant banter, a lot of the exploring sections are likely gonna be tedious, maybe annoying with the constant talking.
- The combat from Star-Lord's side should feel more powerful or have more impact, or at least the shooting needs to be more satisfying, just holding down a lock-on and shoot button isn't that interesting over time.

Bad
- The last big mission is mediocre at best because they spam too many combat encounters, it ends the game on a low point. The combat can get tiring when you go from encounter to encounter to encounter.
- At times, there are barely any facial animations. There are scenes on the Milano where the faces barely move when they talk, it's very noticeable and awkward.
- Lacks the last round of polish, there is a good deal of bugs, at least on the PC version it's almost common that parts of the interface get stuck on the screen, making you have to restart the chapter to remove it. Other common bugs involve characters "shaking" when they stand in certain areas and things popping into view. (Not sure if this is the case on consoles.)
- Some of the missions feel too similar in structure, you land somewhere on a planet and spend 45 minutes walking to a boss or some sort of end sequence.
- The environmental puzzles, where you break down weak wall segments or power up some console and stuff like that, is not that interesting or engaging. They lean too heavily on these light puzzles.
- There were times when I was positive that the game was ending, only to last for another 6 hours or so. Even though that might sound like a positive, there is something about expecting an end and not getting it that feels slightly annoying, even if you like the game.
- A lot of the abilities you unlock were lackluster, they sound cool on paper when you read the description, but in practice, you usually stick with the most effective ones.

jUWY31w.jpg

VorIKZp.jpg

Ex6Z4CH.jpg

Haggard

Banned
Loved the game. It had a few weaknesses in the combat design but everything else was pretty darn good.

With such sales it's a bona fide flop though which the developers really don't deserve.

DaGwaphics

Thought it was great. There was some repetitiveness to it, sure. But what superhero game doesn't have a bit of that. Maybe a bit simplistic in gameplay as most of these games are. The characters were developed nicely and there was enough story to move the game from a to b without going overboard into animated movie territory (a big plus from me). Even with the typical pending Armageddon scenario, the mood of the game stayed light which is something else I prefer in a superhero game.

I would buy again and definitely recommend to others.

A DLC that added another campaign (even a smallish one) or a sequel would be something that I would keep an eye on. Unfortunate that the sales were low. There wasn't a big marketing push, so, that might have played a role.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I thought it was a Gaas like Avengers until about a month after release. It looks cool, so I'll probably play it eventually.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s like a great take on the summer block buster game. It’s not complicated but it’s a lot of fun and the story is interesting.
I played through it twice .🤷‍♂️

jonnyp

It was ok. Gameplay very repetitive, puzzles and boss fights are bad, game is short.

It looks amazing though and I liked the characters and writing.

PuffyCan

It's not perfect, but the music and dialog are spot on. After the avengers game I was sure it was going to be as bad but thanks to everyone saying it was good in here, I decided to buy it anyway and I'm glad I did

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Great game. Some of the highest highs around in terms of graphics and dialogue. It really does drag in the 2nd half though. Highly enjoyable game but there's room for improvement.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It was my game of the year last year.

Fun fact about the last mission, depending on your story choices a TON of those encounters get skipped by certain side characters popping in to help you.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It has rick roll also and other old school music, was really surprised when it hits during gameplay

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yep 100% agree, it was a great game that suffered from Avengers. Let's hope a sequel can still be made.

slade

Could not get into it at all. Which says something because I do like story heavy games. Dropped it for a replay of Uncharted 4.

DaGwaphics

It has rick roll also and other old school music, was really surprised when it hits during gameplay

That was a surprise. Same for the bad karaoke version of The Warrior, I cracked up when Quill and Gamora started singing that.

Last edited:

Drac84

I really enjoyed it, and got the plat. The main complaint I had was a lot of Peter Quill's 'team building' dialogue was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Felt like the kind of trite nonsense you hear in every management/leadership training course. Once I noticed it (very early on) I found it incredibly grating.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I voted "never played it, never will," despite the chance that I may, because I don't generally like superhero stories and the bottom option seemed way too affirming, as if I were making a promise I might not keep. "Never played it, might someday," is my ideal answer.

jaysius

Banned
It was GOTY of 2022, it showed Bioware how to make an actual GOOD Dragon Age game.

The characters made James Gunn's characters look dumb, it actually angered me how 2d and stupid he made all the characters compared to how amazing they can be in this game.

The graphics with RT mode on was amazing 30FPS was ENOUGH for this game.

Brigandier

Bullet sponge fest basic as basic gets combat wise, Overly excessive banter, The huddle in the middle of battle is dumb as fuck, Weak generic puzzles/levels... Last year was realllly fucking bad for games if this bargain bin game is praised so highly.

To think Eidos Montreal put this out instead of finishing the Deus Ex story is a travesty "in my opinion" before I got poked with a flaming hot pitchfork.

Justin9mm

I'm in the I like the game category.

I love GOTG in general and the story and visuals kept me going but sorry to say the combat was repetitive shit and because of that I found myself racing to the finish line near the end of it. It outstayed its welcome a little.

Justin9mm

Could not get into it at all. Which says something because I do like story heavy games. Dropped it for a replay of Uncharted 4.
I quite liked the game overall but I understand your feelings.

The gameplay combat really let it down. Some of the enemy art direction and models was questionable and lazy. Nothing in the gameplay was original and felt like been there, done that. I think as a whole the games presentation delivered but it's far from perfect and some of the reviews of the game were a little overrated.

slade

I quite liked the game overall but I understand your feelings.

The gameplay combat really let it down. Some of the enemy art direction and models was questionable and lazy. Nothing in the gameplay was original and felt like been there, done that. I think as a whole the games presentation delivered but it's far from perfect and some of the reviews of the game were a little overrated.

Yeah, it was definitely the gameplay combat that drove me away. I expected to love the game because I am a fan of Cosmic Marvel. I like how the characters are written and their banter, however, the whole game is just so plodding in its direction and it grinds to a halt the minute I actually have to engage with the game portion of the game.

I'll get through it but with all the other games launching soon and my backlog from last year, it'll be a while.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Voice acting was great, really did not expect them to pull of such an amazing job and the story was pretty good too. Some of the zones were cool to look at but nothing really that stood out that much. Soundtrack was ofc great, the licensed and the game's ost as well. Aaaand thats about it. Gameplay was kinda shit and it had a ton of bugs. Could've been a Mass Effect 1 kind of game if Square Enix was not behind this and if they had more time to evolve the gameplay/rpg elements into somehting much more. Hopefully we get a better, bigger sequel but as long as they are under Square Enix I dont expect anything above just "ok/decent".

Soosa

Banned
dude that is different game, read the title.

Guardians of galaxy is different game than avengers. avengers is not that good, but guardians of galaxy is epic adventure, hands down best movie based game I have played

Last edited:

ByWatterson

dude that is different game, read the title.

Guardians of galaxy is different game than avengers. avengers is not that good, but guardians of galaxy is epic adventure, hands down best movie based game I have played

Oh man I'm dumb and tired and can't read.

Sorry!

Arun1910

I really enjoyed it. Captured the GoTG feel without being a complete copy of the films. Great environments, great voice acting, good story, good character relationships. Combat was also fun but could be repetitive. Soundtrack was killer, still can't believe they literally MADE the band Star Lord so they could have music.

Solid 8/10 for me.

Bragr

Banned
Extremely positive results on the votes, usually you see more people that didn't like it. A lot of people really like this game.

Which makes me ponder the reviews. I'm not really sure what happened here, it's not terrible reviews, but I expected a lot more now that I played it.

I think the game went on a bit long, and all the combat towards the end soured some critics. Cause the fan response is overwhelmingly positive everywhere I look, even on here.

Top Bottom