• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am going to the final chapter tomorrow (I think so)
The game is flarking fantastic. The pacing of the story, cool, unique gameplay and the fact that you rest on the ship and talk to the crew !!!
I've played 18 hours so far and it does not feel it's length. Haha where did the 18 hours go !?
The "huddle up" mechanic with the random ass 80s music afterwards ! fantastic!
edit: Yeah finished it. over 21 hours. Loved it ! The story got a bit out there... I kinda would like to be less mcu involved

Last edited:
Finished the game just in time for Halo infinite later tonight. Man they have so much va. Like I think they crammed a 40 hour western rpg worth of dialogue into a linear game with the guardians. Quality dialogue too. Happy where it ended and if we never get a sequel at least it wont end on a bloody cliffhanger ( hello mankind divided).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished this recently. I thought the narrative, story, voice acting, all that was super strong. Among the best I’ve played. The gameplay though I thought was just ok. Combat wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t great. I thought the dungeons were repetitive and I encountered several bugs, a couple that I had to reload at a checkpoint and one that cost me a boss fight.

I think for a game though that got almost zero hype leading up to it, it was a pleasant surprise. I’d be cool if they made another and improved upon it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I finished this recently. I thought the narrative, story, voice acting, all that was super strong. Among the best I’ve played. The gameplay though I thought was just ok. Combat wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t great. I thought the dungeons were repetitive and I encountered several bugs, a couple that I had to reload at a checkpoint and one that cost me a boss fight.

I think for a game though that got almost zero hype leading up to it, it was a pleasant surprise. I’d be cool if they made another and improved upon it.
I know what you mean about bugs. More than once I climbed a ledge and got stuck in the edge of a wall and had to reload the last checkpoint.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know what you mean about bugs. More than once I climbed a ledge and got stuck in the edge of a wall and had to reload the last checkpoint.
I was fighting a boss and the buttons on my controller just stopped working. All I could do was use the analog sticks. I was unable to attack or dash or do anything and couldn't kill the boss when he had a smidgen of life left.

Another bug, my party refused to follow me down a ramp and I couldn't use Groot to branch over a gap and had to reload a checkpoint.

Another, one of those things you find in the environment that give you text and backstory got stuck on my screen and wouldn't go away and I couldn't see anything and had to reload.

Soosa

Banned
Finished it few weeks ago.

GOTY 2021

I usually dont have the patience to read/watch boring conversations, which most games are full of.
Same as in real life, we dont have small talk culture here, so I could not care less about un-meaningful stuff people are talking about.

But on this game I just did not get enough from listening to the characters, which basically means that everything was interesting and almost perfectly written.

Combat werent that epic, but it suits the need for progressing.

It just feels like watching another Guardians movie, but also being part of it which is really nice. Probably one of the best dialogue and characters I have ever seen on games, if not the best.

I could just play their adventures forever, if new stuff would be released as DLC.

Pejo

So I saw that this game won "best soundtrack on the Steam awards, which is pretty high praise, especially for a S-E Marvel game. Gave the soundtrack a listen and purchased the deluxe version of the game just off of that alone. Fucking takes me back to hair metal. Then I read the reviews and the game actually seems good? Color me surprised.

I haven't started it yet, but I plan to dive in tomorrow night. Listened to the Soundtrack while I was working today though, amazing. I still think Nier soundtracks are timeless and amazing in their own right, but this OST was exactly what I needed.

slade

Struggling to get into this. I played up to where they get to Lady Hellbender. Best thing about it has been Gamora and Drax's interactions so far. Gameplay is just so-so. I think I'm gonna put this down to replay Horizon since Forbidden West is due out soon. I may be in a better mood to play this afterwards.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Finished my first playthrough just now, this game is a gem. GOTY 2021 for me easily.

It felt just like watching another GOTG movie but better. The gameplay is not its forte but it doesn't flarking matter. The characters, the worlds, the dialogue, sound and graphics are all superb. It's incredibly well written for this medium.

The Soundtrack is up there with the best videogame soundtracks in gaming.

It's flarking fantastic. Would love DLC or a sequel. Hats off to Eidos this game deserves all the good scores it got and more.

Biggest regret was not grabbing the cosmic deluxe edition for a few more bucks during black friday, might have to hunt it down now...

I'm playing this on PC with gamepass now, but what I find annoying is the pop ups on my screen when I pick something up. Everytime I walk it gets distorted and they don't seem to go away until a cutscene starts. Anyone have this same issue? I'm playing on widescreen so maybe that's the issue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm playing this on PC with gamepass now, but what I find annoying is the pop ups on my screen when I pick something up. Everytime I walk it gets distorted and they don't seem to go away until a cutscene starts. Anyone have this same issue? I'm playing on widescreen so maybe that's the issue.

Sorry, not on Xbox at least.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've paid like 40$ on steam for this game 2 weeks after release.
I think it was WELL WORTH it and it's one of best games I've played in recent memory but I still can't help to feel scammed a bit... which is stupid because I would want to own it anyway.
But if I knew it is coming to gamepass, I would probably get it on ps5 to "really own" it. Now I just have access to it in 2 digital stores. It's redundant

adamsapple

I've paid like 40$ on steam for this game 2 weeks after release.
I think it was WELL WORTH it and it's one of best games I've played in recent memory but I still can't help to feel scammed a bit... which is stupid because I would want to own it anyway.
But if I knew it is coming to gamepass, I would probably get it on ps5 to "really own" it. Now I just have access to it in 2 digital stores. It's redundant

You feel scammed because you bought the game during the launch window at less than retail and thought it was well worth it ?

That's a pretty hot take right there lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You feel scammed because you bought the game during the launch window at less than retail and thought it was well worth it ?

That's a pretty hot take right there lol
It really was not that long ago. And I've bought it for 40-45... not sure.
I said I enjoyed it and thought it was worth it but I still can't help to feel a bit scammed even if irrationally.
What is so hot about that ?! If I got it on console, I would pay full price. On pc you never pay full price. There is no new game on pc more expensive than 50usd. cdkeys and stuff

Last edited:

adamsapple

But what exactly makes you feel that you got scammed ? that it came out on game pass 5 months after release ?

That's one of the primary reasons I buy new games physically, so I can resell them and not feel bad when they come out on GP later.

Last edited:

NickFire

It really was not that long ago. And I've bought it for 40-45... not sure.
I said I enjoyed it and thought it was worth it but I still can't help to feel a bit scammed even if irrationally.
What is so hot about that ?! If I got it on console, I would pay full price. On pc you never pay full price. There is no new game on pc more expensive than 50usd. cdkeys and stuff
You did not post a hot take. He just jumps in to defend certain things even when no defense is needed. Guaranteed he was trying to counter any arguments that GP devalues games. He pulls back quick too, so he'll probably pivot. And on que, he's advocating for physical sales right above.

SSfox

Hearing so many positives things about this game from many, i'm not into Marvel that much but any great game is welcom, planning to give it a shot when i have time and done with my actual games.

adamsapple

You did not post a hot take. He just jumps in to defend certain things even when no defense is needed. Guaranteed he was trying to counter any arguments that GP devalues games. He pulls back quick too, so he'll probably pivot. And on que, he's advocating for physical sales right above.

What in the world lol

I'm replying to the user saying they felt like the game was worth the price but still they felt scammed, that's a contradiction in itself.

NickFire

But what exactly makes you feel that you got scammed ? that it came out on game pass 5 months after release ?

That's one of the primary reasons I buy new games physically, so I can resell them and not feel bad when they come out on GP later.
It's ok to put the shield down. He's just expressing the same sentiment that everyone feels when they see a sale after buying something. No need to keep trying to shame him for that common sentiment.

Regarding directly above, come on bro. Its transparent.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's ok to put the shield down. He's just expressing the same sentiment that everyone feels when they see a sale after buying something. No need to keep trying to shame him for that common sentiment.

Regarding directly above, come on bro. Its transparent.

what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

I'm legitimately asking the user why they feel scammed if a game feels like it was worth it. No idea what agenda you're trying to pull in here lol.

Hearing so many positives things about this game from many, i'm not into Marvel that much but any great game is welcom, planning to give it a shot when i have time and done with my actual games.

The game expects you to have some basic knowledge of who the Guardians are so your enjoyment may vary if you're not into the Marvel stuff at all.

Last edited:

NickFire

what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

I'm legitimately asking the user why they feel scammed if a game feels like it was worth it. No idea what agenda you're trying to pull in here lol.
You are asking them to explain a common human emotion while calling it a hot take, specifically on a topic you feel very passionate about. You know what you were doing.

adamsapple

You are asking them to explain a common human emotion while calling it a hot take, specifically on a topic you feel very passionate about. You know what you were doing.

My dude you need to relax lol . I'm sure they can reply themselves if they feel the need to.

Cool it with the needless hostilities :messenger_grinning_sweat:

--

Anyway, even if this game wasn't coming out on XYZ service, I'd still recommend as many people play it as possible.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hey no need to fight over me. I feel how I feel.
N NickFire is right. Just an emotion when the thing you just bought goes on sale.
Could be worse - I almost preordered far lone sails 2 on steam and then noticed it's on gamepass day 1. yikes.
These stores are getting weird. Easy to save money and easy to loose.

I recommend Guardians. It's fantastic

adamsapple

Hey no need to fight over me. I feel how I feel.
N NickFire is right. Just an emotion when the thing you just bought goes on sale.
Could be worse - I almost preordered far lone sails 2 on steam and then noticed it's on gamepass day 1. yikes.
These stores are getting weird. Easy to save money and easy to loose.

I recommend Guardians. It's fantastic

Unfortunately while many of us on enthusiast forums like GAF bought it, the game still kinda bombed at retail, which probably explains why it's on the service so soon.

Like with Alien: Firestorm, hoping this puts more eyes on the game and more people get to play the most underrated-good-game of last year.

Banned
does anyone play the GamePass version on PC and has random stutters in some scenes?

in the cutscene with the Llama the game crawled to a halt and stuttered so hard that it basically became a slide show. then the spaceship sequence after ran fin for the first minute or so, but the suddenly same issue, basically unplayable, even pausing the game didn't change anything, the pause menu was basically not usable.

for the rest of the time the game ran absolutely fine for me. very high RT reflections + transparent reflections + DLSS quality at 1440p (the rest pretty much maxed outside of volumetrics

I am currently moving it off of my OS drive, installed it there because it's marginally faster than my other drives, but maybe Windows was acting up 🤷‍♂️ didn't seem like it because it was super random when it began and stopped tho

ps.: also, the game randomly displays Xbox and PS buttons for me... seemingly at random and sometimes simultaneously... VERY confusing when you have to decipher which X the game means lol

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm generally not interested in superhero games, but I did like Arkham Asylum. It seems like so many people here like this game and have nothing but good to say about it so I'm absolutely going to give it a shot. If I hate it, I lose nothing now that it's on Game Pass, but hopefully I like as much as everyone here seems to.

Banned
does anyone play the GamePass version on PC and has random stutters in some scenes?

in the cutscene with the Llama the game crawled to a halt and stuttered so hard that it basically became a slide show. then the spaceship sequence after ran fin for the first minute or so, but the suddenly same issue, basically unplayable, even pausing the game didn't change anything, the pause menu was basically not usable.

for the rest of the time the game ran absolutely fine for me. very high RT reflections + transparent reflections + DLSS quality at 1440p (the rest pretty much maxed outside of volumetrics

I am currently moving it off of my OS drive, installed it there because it's marginally faster than my other drives, but maybe Windows was acting up 🤷‍♂️ didn't seem like it because it was super random when it began and stopped tho

ps.: also, the game randomly displays Xbox and PS buttons for me... seemingly at random and sometimes simultaneously... VERY confusing when you have to decipher which X the game means lol

moved it to my other drive, still randomly happening out of nowhere.
the game is basically a locked 72fps (I locked it at half refresh for consistency) but just randomly it will have these stutters.
after moving the game to the other SSD and restarting that spaceship section it didn't stutter at that part at all anymore...

but now, a few cutscenes later, it comes back... less extreme than the first time but still really bad

anyone on PC having this happen?

edit: so apparently this is a known issue, some think it has to do with the auto save feature fucking with the performance. many on the Steam forums had this issue back when the game launched. even people with beefier PCs than mine like 3080s and stuff... so it's not my 3060ti that is the issue here at least.

Last edited:

Plantoid

Not for me, combat is basic, don't like this ultra guided experience, the visuals and soundtrack are excepcional tho

Amiga

The Story is good. IMOO better than the 2 movies. characters here also have more depth. Star Lord is more likable.
Art design of the alien vistas is amazing. some of the best Sci-Fi designs in gaming. a new Mass Effect or anything similar should take inspiration from this.
If the gameplay and level design were also great the game would have been a GOTY contender and probably one of the best superhero games ever made. sadly they are super average. weakest part of the game. basically a mod of Avengers that is forced to seem like a shooter. hope Edios recognize what they got here and improve for the future.

adamsapple

The Story is good. IMOO better than the 2 movies. characters here also have more depth. Star Lord is more likable.
Art design of the alien vistas is amazing. some of the best Sci-Fi designs in gaming. a new Mass Effect or anything similar should take inspiration from this.
If the gameplay and level design were also great the game would have been a GOTY contender and probably one of the best superhero games ever made. sadly they are super average. weakest part of the game. basically a mod of Avengers that is forced to seem like a shooter. hope Edios recognize what they got here and improve for the future.

cmpunk-what.gif

Granted game play is not this games strongest part, but it's not anything like the Avengers game in the slightest.

Banned
cmpunk-what.gif

Granted game play is not this games strongest part, but it's not anything like the Avengers game in the slightest.

which is not a good thing btw... Avengers had pretty good controls and some characters felt pretty good. it was everything else about the game that was the issue.
but the combat in Avengers is 10x better than here

adamsapple

which is not a good thing btw... Avengers had pretty good controls and some characters felt pretty good. it was everything else about the game that was the issue.
but the combat in Avengers is 10x better than here

I don't know if I agree with the Avengers combat being "good", it's serviceable and definitely has a lot more variety than what GoTG offers that's for sure.

But then again, that's not the biggest reason I like GoTG.

Banned
I don't know if I agree with the Avengers combat being "good", it's serviceable and definitely has a lot more variety than what GoTG offers that's for sure.

But then again, that's not the biggest reason I like GoTG.

the combat is good for western standards... which are very low standards but it was still pretty decent. if it was simply a single player game without all the GaaS filler it would have been a really good game

GloveSlap

The style of the game and characters is so good. While obviously influenced by the movies, it leans even harder into that 70s/80s sci-fi heavy metal dark fantasy aesthetic and it completely works.

Last edited:

RPS37

Got it on GP as well.
Finished the first chapter and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna dig this shit.
Breath of fresh air after trying to get into Elden a ring for a couple hours.
Playing on XSX Performance mode.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
moved it to my other drive, still randomly happening out of nowhere.
the game is basically a locked 72fps (I locked it at half refresh for consistency) but just randomly it will have these stutters.
after moving the game to the other SSD and restarting that spaceship section it didn't stutter at that part at all anymore...

but now, a few cutscenes later, it comes back... less extreme than the first time but still really bad

anyone on PC having this happen?

edit: so apparently this is a known issue, some think it has to do with the auto save feature fucking with the performance. many on the Steam forums had this issue back when the game launched. even people with beefier PCs than mine like 3080s and stuff... so it's not my 3060ti that is the issue here at least.

I had some animation stuttering issues on my series x during the walk to monster lady's fortress. It was pretty bad but it hasn't been prevalent throughout the game.

One bug that has been prevalent is when I trigger the pick up action during a conversation. If I press "Y" and it happens to coincide with a dialogue choice I need to make, the dialogue options will stay on the screen without giving me the ability to choose one. They will stay there until I reload a save or trigger another cutscene.

Small annoyance but isn't taking away from my overall enjoyment of the game.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I played this when it first game out. Combat gets a little repetitive but the game was a lot if fun. I was able to beat it fairly quickly. Had some laughs. Enjoy playing this green rats.

DaGwaphics

Hope everyone on GP is now enjoying this one. Simplistic in some areas, like most super hero games are, but very well crafted. Glad I gave it a shot based on the positive feedback received here.

I try not to let my inner cheapass bastard focus too much on the fact that I could have played the game now for "free" instead of buying it in December. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom