• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers - PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X - Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

longdi

Banned
Clearly Xbox gonna holds 60fps pretty well, if not only slightly worse than PS5.
Xbox is king in porting backwards compatibility games, PS5 is no match for that. This is another port suffers from "free to upgrade from last gen to next gen" with minimal efforts from devs. Ps5 version is with some tweaks special effects with same resolution as ps4 pro, Xbox SX is pc version with some tweaks and optimized abit. That's all there's to it.

As you can see, there are other games such as this, suffers from this "free to upgrade" syndrome, namely " division 2, ghost recon, mortal shell, etc.."

lol you speak as if running a multi platform engine is super complicated or something.

just maybe SX has that extra bit of raw power to push for more higher settings...?

assurdum

Banned
lol you speak as if running a multi platform engine is super complicated or something.

just maybe SX has that extra bit of raw power to push for more higher settings...?
It's not super complicated. Series X uses a virtual coded API multiplat. In crossgen titles has definitely noticeable vantage over the ps5, whatever it's the power difference. For ps5, because it's low API,it has less level of abstraction and so you have to rewrite the code to a low API access level if you want use fully the hardware resources

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not super complicated. Series X uses a virtual coded API multiplat. In crossgen titles has definitely noticeable vantage over the ps5, whatever it's the power difference. For ps5, because it's low API,it has less level of abstraction and so you have to rewrite the code to a low API access level if you want use fully the hardware resources
Very true, but that rewriting probably not going to be as severe, as Sony is probably using same APIs (also introducing new ones). It's not PS3 > PS4 type of deal.

assurdum

Banned
Very true, but that rewriting probably not going to be as severe, as Sony is probably using same APIs (also introducing new ones). It's not PS3 > PS4 type of deal.
Well if you want to use fully the hardware that rewriting is definitely relevant. PS5 not works absolutely as the PS4. It's very different. On series X you don't have this kind of trouble because, you know, it's all virtualized, so you don't have to worry about the access to the full hardware resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Redlancet

Banned
I can't be sure, but it might've been the AC Valhalla comparison thread. Every other comment was a variation of "eat crow". I told them to enjoy it while it lasted, because sooner or later the power difference would become apparent.

Of course I was shouted down by people saying that obviously Sony's tools would improve over time as well, along with the usual armchair hardware experts explaining to anyone who would listen about how Sony's solution was "elegant" and that we would definitely see similar results throughout the entire gen.

Seems it ended up being sooner.
i you will eat a lot of crow,not in the way u expect,but you will be served son

Rea

Its not "multi platform engine is super complicated " , it just porting to ps5 from last gen needs abit more works from devs, than on Xbox. Xbox always has been easier to port pc games than on playstation. And it is free, there is no incentive for putting extra works on playstation for devs.

MonarchJT

Banned
Well if you want to use fully the hardware that rewriting is definitely relevant. PS5 not works absolutely as the PS4. It's very different. On series X you don't have this kind of trouble because, you know, it's virtualized so you don't have to worry about the access to the full hardware resources as ps5.
In principle true but we officially know that the xsx has entire parts of the hardware completely not used (even until recently still in beta on devkits) The API used on for Avenger certainly not take advantage of the peculiarities of the dx12u and the console hw there to take advantage of the dx12u . It will pass 1 year before seeing the true performance of the xsx

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
PS5 performance mode is using CB, and it seems to be doing its job pretty well. What matters is the image quality vs performance, and every version is handling that pretty well. Aside from console wars, there’s nothing here to complain about.

Nice upgrade on framerate and loadings, but it’s still very much a last gen game. Wish we could just fast forward and start seeing proper next gen games, and how they perform.

Now I see why ihugi made that other thread.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Big win for Xbox if true. Still, waiting for DF.

Umbasaborne

Banned
PS5 performance mode is using CB, and it seems to be doing its job pretty well. What matters is the image quality vs performance, and every version is handling that pretty well. Aside from console wars, there’s nothing here to complain about.

Nice upgrade on framerate and loadings, but it’s still very much a last gen game. Wish we could just fast forward and start seeing proper next gen games, and how they perform.
Yeah, as i said, still looks great on ps5. I like to fuck around and troll some times, but if its the version you have access to like i do, even though i own both consoles, its certainly not a bad experience. It may not be 4k most of the time, but its still clean af. Still like i said though, curious to try it on series x if i can grab a copy for less then ten bucks.

last gen, we didnt start seeing real next gen games until 2015 with titles like arkham knight, the order, blood borne, and the witcher 3. Much like last time, we probably wont really see what these consoles can do at their fullest potential until 2022. Expect this year to be what 2014 was for the ps4.

Last edited:

Rea

In principle true but we officially know that the xsx has entire parts of the hardware completely not used (even until recently still in beta on devkits) The API used on for Avenger certainly not take advantage of the peculiarities of the dx12u and the console hw there to take advantage of the dx12u . It will pass 1 year before seeing the true performance of the xsx
Same goes for ps5.

Zoro7

Banned
Really wanted to play this game especially now that the update is out. Haven’t heard good things which is what’s stopping me.

Reactions: Rea

Kholinar

Banned
Mate, that curiously wasn't the case when the shoe was on the other foot was it? "My people" weren't spewing anything about any delta. Trolling fanboys were I assume, because they aren't here anymore. But all those spewing about how the PS5 was set to win comparisons this gen, and to eat crow still are.

I did take your advice though, and look into content streams though in 2021.
XBS=35
PS5=31
Seems my stream of content is set to flow just fine. As a bonus, I'll even have the storage to put it on.
Perhaps you should do some worrying yourself about that.
Firstly, don’t lump me in with the fanboys. Secondly, if you were here before the consoles released, you had a gaggle of Xbox fanboys droning about how the PS5 was underpowered, RDNA 1, 9.2 TF hastily over overclocked trash. The vindication that PS fanboys expressed the first few months of launch when there was effectively parity (with PS pulling ahead in some cases) was wholly justified. Even then, you still had defense forces like Riky who still claimed ‘wins’ due to VRR, and longdi with his faux-intellectual bullshitting. Fanboys are bad, but the Xbox camp has some of the most devout, insane breeds. You never see types like Dealer or MisterXMedia on PS Twitter, and the Sony ponies who post here mostly act defensively when confronted with the vitriol from Xbox fanboys.

Microsoft’s content stream right now is to be praised, no doubt about that, but most of their titles aren’t even due until probably late 2022. Some haven’t even left pre-production or conceptualisation, like Everwild or Avowed. And the Zenimax acquisition isn’t the mic drop you think it is; Bethesda has been on a sharp decline this past decade. Most of their games rely on fucking fan patches to even be functional, and they’ve slighted their player base in providing the live-service bullshit that is FO76. Starfield has everything to prove. id Software are a solid bunch, but the recent Doom Eternal fails to reach the highs of the previous instalment (still a great game, though.)

Game pass for PC has been an absolute home-run, though.

MonarchJT

Banned
Same goes for ps5.
well i don't think that sdk of the ps5 is behind like that of the Xbox, the peculiarity of having aPI built specifically for the console paradoxically make the transition easier. We will certainly see a better use of ssd in First parties but it seems that it already ready and working as this is already the case..for example dark soul respawn or R&C ...and having said that we have the performance ceiling that we know what it is and that we are not even close to exploitation yet the two consoles will certainly not be able to exceed the performances given by their specifications

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Reinstalled yesterday and just couldn't bring myself to play through the campaign. I'm on PS5 and had wanted to see all the bells and whistles in action.

I just don't care for the main character Kamala Khan
giphy.gif
she's uninteresting and frankly boring IMO. It stopped me in my tracks and I said "nah, I'm not
doing this again" and promptly uninstalled the game.

Avengers had it's chance already and my opinion of the game won't be changed. The game is horribly mismanaged and I have ZERO confidence the devs know what they're doing. This is something
that should have been given to Naughty Dog when the IP was being shopped around.

MonarchJT

Banned
People claiming a win here, do they really think that XSX can push 70% higher resolution than PS5? lol. It's not a comparison b/w Xbox Series X and PS4 Pro.
there's no win because this game shouldn't be supported by anyone. Anyway, although we know that you can expect higher resolutions from xsx people should wait for other comparisons

N30RYU

Reinstalled yesterday and just couldn't bring myself to play through the campaign. I'm on PS5 and had wanted to see all the bells and whistles in action.

I just don't care for the main character Kamala Khan
giphy.gif
she's uninteresting and frankly boring IMO. It stopped me in my tracks and I said "nah, I'm not
doing this again" and promptly uninstalled the game.

Avengers had it's chance already and my opinion of the game won't be changed. The game is horribly mismanaged and I have ZERO confidence the devs know what they're doing. This is something
that should have been given to Naughty Dog when the IP was being shopped around.
you could have tried Hawkeye or Bishop campaign

Mr Moose

Now I see why ihugi made that other thread.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Big win for Xbox if true. Still, waiting for DF.
Not sure if the fps readings are correct, but we already know the PS5 version uses checkerboard rendering in the performance mode (like the Pro) and the Series X uses a non-checkerboard method (like the One X).

On Demand

Banned
Backwards compatibility modes enhanced is already known to not take full advantage of PS5. So I don’t know why the surprise at the resolution difference.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Did you rewind to 2013 because that is where the PS4 had an on paper 50% advantage over Xbox One.

Series X should be 15%, give or take, faster than PS5 from a pure hardware standpoint so marginally higher settings or a marginally higher resolution is expected.

I don't recall anyone talking 50% deltas.
One of the Xbox fanboy Twitter accounts said about the 50% advantage, and because that fanboy said it, ALL Xbox fans think the same apparently, even though i have never seen a single Xbox fanboy on here say it.

Anyway who cares which version is the best, the game blows.

Rea

well i don't think that sdk of the ps5 is behind like that of the Xbox, the peculiarity of having aPI built specifically for the console paradoxically make the transition easier. We will certainly see a better use of ssd in First parties but it seems that it already ready and working as this is already the case..for example dark soul respawn or R&C ...and having said that we have the performance ceiling that we know what it is and that we are not even close to exploitation yet the two consoles will certainly not be able to exceed the performances given by their specifications
I'm not talking about tools and sdk, i was referring to "Gpu features" and true performance of the console.

Mr Moose

One of the Xbox fanboy Twitter accounts said about the 50% advantage, and because that fanboy said it, ALL Xbox fans think the same apparently, even though i have never seen a single Xbox fanboy on here say it.

Anyway who cares which version is the best, the game blows.
It was 40% on this forum, Twitter went over the top.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't believe the resolution he is claiming is wrong at all.

The actual resolutions used.

Xbox One X: 2160p DRS
PS4 Pro: 2160p with CBR DRS

So in that case PS5 is using the PS4 Pro and Series X the Xbox One X settings.
By DF the DRS variate the PS5 resolution from 1440p CBR to 2160p CBR.

How the video confuses the claims between native and checkboard is confuse.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I don't believe the resolution he is claiming is wrong at all.

The actual resolutions used.

Xbox One X: 2160p DRS
PS4 Pro: 2160p with CBR DRS

So in that case PS5 is using the PS4 Pro and Series X the Xbox One X settings.
By DF the DRS variate the PS5 resolution from 1440p CBR to 2160p CBR.

How the video confuses the claims between native and checkboard is confuse.
Don't have time to watch it right now but did DF say these games seem to be using last gen system settings? This comparison is bunk if that's all this game is doing.

ethomaz

Banned
Don't have time to watch it right now but did DF say these games seem to be using last gen system settings? This comparison is bunk if that's all this game is doing.
For resolution... yes.

"Just like PS4 Pro, it's running at 2160p checkerboard with a dynamic resolution window that extends as far as it needs to in order to sustain the crucial 60fps target. Essentially, the more mayhem you unleash, the lower typical resolution is likely to be - expect values in the 1800p range in the heat of the action, dropping to 1440p when all hell truly breaks loose."

The OP video when tries to talk about CBR and native together created confusion.... 2160p CBR has a native 1920x2160 resoltuion (from what I remember but somebody can correct me for accuracy) and that is the highest resolution PS4 Pro / PS5 runs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom