• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers |OT| - Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same

Shmunter

:messenger_confounded:

Now I know why they hid it. The textures are too large and the bandwidth is taxed on a 2080Ti @4k/30FPS with these shaders! Hitting framedrops of 22FPS with close up faces or big action around in cinematics! The GPU can't keep up! I'm convinced that this is for 3000-series cards! Next-gen game #2 (y)
Placeholders for next gen consoles

Shantae

Banned
As soon as I started playing as Black Widow, and I heard Laura Bailey, all I could hear was my character from Saints Row 3 and 4 lol Always used her in those games.

Shantae

Banned
I've been the campaign for a little over an hour or so. I don't know how the multiplayer part is, but this could've been a cool single player campaign game if they focused on that, like Sony did with Spider-man. I wish this was just a Ms. Marvel game basically, because she's great so far. I'm playing as the Hulk in the forest, and he's not as fun as her, but still...this game feels like an MUA game just with behind the back camera instead of overhead. Dunno what all the complaints are about. I complained about the character designs prior to release, but they look a little better in motion.

I wonder how long this campaign is. No idea how the GaaS part is, because I haven't touched multiplayer yet, but if the campaign is decent length, then I think I'll at least like my time with this.

I've been the campaign for a little over an hour or so. I don't know how the multiplayer part is, but this could've been a cool single player campaign game if they focused on that, like Sony did with Spider-man. I wish this was just a Ms. Marvel game basically, because she's great so far. I'm playing as the Hulk in the forest, and he's not as fun as her, but still...this game feels like an MUA game just with behind the back camera instead of overhead. Dunno what all the complaints are about. I complained about the character designs prior to release, but they look a little better in motion.

I wonder how long this campaign is. No idea how the GaaS part is, because I haven't touched multiplayer yet, but if the campaign is decent length, then I think I'll at least like my time with this.
Nowhere near endgame content yet but Ms. Marvel is just really good gameplay-wise. Nearly all her attacks have AoE, her aerial Power Attack lets her stay airborne indefinitely, her parry is spammable and doesn't need intrinsic energy, her intrinsic is an auto-evade with a self-heal component. That's not even going into her heroics, Embiggen might very well be the biggest damage dealer in the game.

Elcid

Banned

I’m loving the campaign. I’m a little past where you get Iron Man’s new suit. The story is so good, and despite complaints the characters feel so well done. They feel real yet comic booky.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Look at it this way. The campaign is pretty good length. I've heard around 10 hours. That's about the length of the Tomb Raider reboot game. So the MP and endgame stuff is essentially bonus. As is the future free characters and DLC

ManaByte

Campaign is 10-12 hours if you ignore all of the side missions.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think I clocked about 15 hours, maybe a little less, on the campaign. I did some but not all of the side stuff. It was fun. I hope there are more story-based DLC coming - the game sets up for that to be the case. Going to get more into multiplayer today. Trying to figure out who I like best. I found Kamala to be the best all around character followed by Widow during the story mode, but Ironman's got a delicious set of moves.

Hinedorf

Banned
I really want to play this game and enjoy it but after watching enough twitch streams I have 2 basic observations.

1. Seems like the most effective play style is to throw the same move again and again AND AGAIN IE Thor throwing his hammer at an opponent.

2. I've watched enough content to know the vast majority of playtime will be spent attacking the same 3-5 robot enemy skins with bad AI

It looks really cool visually but play style for this game is not fun, it's a chore.... it's almost a chore to watch at this point. 20 hours of this and I suspect major burnout.

Elcid

Banned
I really want to play this game and enjoy it but after watching enough twitch streams I have 2 basic observations.

1. Seems like the most effective play style is to throw the same move again and again AND AGAIN IE Thor throwing his hammer at an opponent.

2. I've watched enough content to know the vast majority of playtime will be spent attacking the same 3-5 robot enemy skins with bad AI

It looks really cool visually but play style for this game is not fun, it's a chore.... it's almost a chore to watch at this point. 20 hours of this and I suspect major burnout.
I put over 40hrs in the beta alone and didn’t get burnout. Also I don’t know what difficulty you’re watching but on Hard if I move spam I’m dead in about 15 seconds...
In terms of mob variety I’m only a few hours in but mobs will be changing with dlc as they’re adding new campaigns/villains beyond MODOK. My guess is Hydra is coming next.

ManaByte

I put over 40hrs in the beta alone and didn’t get burnout. Also I don’t know what difficulty you’re watching but on Hard if I move spam I’m dead in about 15 seconds...
In terms of mob variety I’m only a few hours in but mobs will be changing with dlc as they’re adding new campaigns/villains beyond MODOK. My guess is Hydra is coming next.

bUt ThEy'Re SeLlInG cOsTuMeS!

Elcid

Banned
bUt ThEy'Re SeLlInG cOsTuMeS!
Lol. Not gonna lie the prices in the marketplace are fucking stupid, but if someone wants to pay 13 bucks for an emote that’s on them. I might end up paying for one or two costumes for a favorite character of mine eventually but not likely for a few months. Took me 4 years to buy 1 costume in DOTA2.

Shmunter

Lol. Not gonna lie the prices in the marketplace are fucking stupid, but if someone wants to pay 13 bucks for an emote that’s on them. I might end up paying for one or two costumes for a favorite character of mine eventually but not likely for a few months. Took me 4 years to buy 1 costume in DOTA2.
Sounds like you’re a whale

Elcid

Banned
Sounds like you’re a whale
images

Hinedorf

Banned

Nothing wrong with that, if I genuinely put a ton of time into a game I feel no shame if there's a cosmetic I want, I will say though some of those emotes are pretty basic for what they cost. If Square Enix had a brain there'd be a Red Hulk skin available and it likely would've made me far more interested.

GymWolf

No crashing so far. I'm stuck at 30FPS locked @ 4k on ultra. The game is too demanding for 4k/60 @ ultra. Gotta wait for DLSS or the 3000-series boards for that.
Yo dude, what are the heaviest and useless setting in this games? Can i achieve 1440p60 (rock solid, not 60 that become 30 with 20 enemies on screen) with a 2070super\8600k\16gb 3200??

Are the texture pack and destruction stuff too demanding even at 1440p??

I'm absurdly on the fence for this one but if i can't even achieve rock solid framerate with good resolution i bail out completely.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ooff these missions are getting bad, drop into snow/desert/forest/city go to all the ?. What’s that another 4 switch door with all of them stuck to the tower right next to it? Havent seen that 100 times yet...

Don’t know how much more I got in me.

I can hardly find people via matchmaking. I need people to play with, folks. High 40's Cap main. Anyone wanna play? I'm on playstation.
smart_brazileiro
Add me!

Today's update on Steam seems way more unstable than the previous version. Already crashed 3 times today alone, when I crashed maybe a single time in the past 3 days

Vaelka

As soon as I started playing as Black Widow, and I heard Laura Bailey, all I could hear was my character from Saints Row 3 and 4 lol Always used her in those games.

The voice acting in the game is really weak imo, it's strange because they got all of these big name voice actors and even used them in the marketing. But the voice acting is so cheesy in a bad way and sounds so forced.
Thor and Iron Man in particular stand out to me but all of them do really.
It's not solely on the voice actors tho it's also the writing, but the voice actors sound like '' generic voice voiced by random person for a bad movie game ''. The professionalism that I'd expect just isn't there.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
The voice acting in the game is really weak imo, it's strange because they got all of these big name voice actors and even used them in the marketing. But the voice acting is so cheesy in a bad way and sounds so forced.
Thor and Iron Man in particular stand out to me but all of them do really.
It's not solely on the voice actors tho it's also the writing, but the voice actors sound like '' generic voice voiced by random person for a bad movie game ''. The professionalism that I'd expect just isn't there.
It kinda just sounds like VA's greatest hits to me. Especially with Troy Baker and Nolan North voicing the two Avengers you interact with early on lol They're not putting on a character so much as they're being themselves.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yo dude, what are the heaviest and useless setting in this games? Can i achieve 1440p60 (rock solid, not 60 that become 30 with 20 enemies on screen) with a 2070super\8600k\16gb 3200??

Are the texture pack and destruction stuff too demanding even at 1440p??

I'm absurdly on the fence for this one but if i can't even achieve rock solid framerate with good resolution i bail out completely.

The game is incredible. I'm loving it more and more. Voice acting is amazing! They seem to have nailed the gameplay on all 3 characters I've unlocked. I'm at Hulk, Ironman, and Ms. Marvel.

With over 50 skills to unlock, this might become a GOTY contender for me.

Anyway, I'm not sure. I have a 2080Ti. It will dip below 30FPS @ 4k. I have everything turned up. I will not play a game without settings at max. It's the way the directors envisioned the game.

Dthomp

Fingers crossed I enjoy this, now just have to wait out the 60 gigs of downloading in order to try it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Game looks amazing! Best Marvel game to date IMO. I'm glad I don't have to worry about anymore Ultimate Alliance games. I hated that iso view.

Oh, for people running 4k. Swtich AA to SMAA. You don't need the TAA which blurs the crap out of the image. Also use ultra textures. Game has incredible detail!

uhhh so I bought what I think is a digital Verizon code from someone for PS4. It downloaded 13.2GB??? and shows it's the Avengers game. When it finished downloading I try to open it but it just goes to a black screen and does nothing. It shows that I own it when I check in my library but it lets me buy it still on the PSN store, as if I don't own it.

Any help?

Edit: Ok for whatever reason if I check the info on the game it's showing 53GB out of 58GB downloaded. So I guess it just isn't done. Sure hope it works once it is.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The game is incredible. I'm loving it more and more. Voice acting is amazing! They seem to have nailed the gameplay on all 3 characters I've unlocked. I'm at Hulk, Ironman, and Ms. Marvel.

With over 50 skills to unlock, this might become a GOTY contender for me.

Anyway, I'm not sure. I have a 2080Ti. It will dip below 30FPS @ 4k. I have everything turned up. I will not play a game without settings at max. It's the way the directors envisioned the game.
You are a strange fella, pc master race to the bone and this is the second action-y game in a row that you play on pc with a 2080ti at miserable 30 fps...

Do you think the devs visions really is 30 fps with shdows on ultra that looks 0,001% better than high but with half the framerate in a game where you fight 90% of the time?!

does a noob like me need to tells you that with a couple of useless setting on high instead of ultra you can probably play the game at almost rock solid 60 fps?!

You always talk about how pc is where the games are envisioned and how they only get subsequently ported on console, do you think that any devs envision their games on pc at 30 motherfucking fps? i think that's the vision for consolles ancient hardware, not for a rig like yours...

i have a pc that suck dicks compared to yours and the last 2 game i played at 30-45 fps on pc in the last 5 years were that broken fucking mess called quantum break and ac odissey...

Last edited:

Vaelka

Enjoyed the campaign! Multiplayer needs more variety! Favorite characters in order are Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Iron Man, Hulk and Ms. Marvel.

mKB8kEK.jpg

3vossNI.jpg

YtAU5OL.jpg

igkqW5d.jpg

gPuyqLw.jpg

zvfXYze.jpg

Thors hair texture looks so bad lol.
It's a good example of why I prefer more cartoony graphics, realistic models usually look so odd to me unless they're super AAAA. The models in TLOU2 for example look great, but in most games with realistic graphics there's just this weirdness to it. Flaws just stand out more.
I noticed this in the Halo 2 Anniversary game too where the mouths are animated really well but then the eyes aren't and it looks really odd because it's like half of their face is dead.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You are a strange fella, pc master race to the bone and this is the second action-y game in a row that you play on pc with a 2080ti at miserable 30 fps...

I am a fan of the most powerful hardware available. Always have been. But I'm a realist too. So I won't dream up something that isn't there.

There are several games now that can't run 60FPS 4k on Ultra with the 2080Ti.

1) FS2020
2) Marvel Avengers
3) Metro Exodus
4) Horizon Zero Dawn
5) Detroit Become Human
6) Control (without DLSS)
7) Modern Warfare

the list goes on. The morale of the story is that these Ultra settings are too taxing for the highest performance card available. FPS isn't the name of the game for looks. It's the rendering presentation.

Do you think the devs visions really is 30 fps with shdows on ultra that looks 0,001% better than high but with half the framerate in a game where you fight 90% of the time?!

Some variables may not appear to be a remarked improvement but there is a big difference with taking a hard shadow and blurring it before being presented to the scene and actually sampling around the prenumbra of a light source to get natural soft shadows (which is obviously more costly). Perhaps you may not see it, but the algorithm is there nevertheless.

does a noob like me need to tells you that with a couple of useless setting on high instead of ultra you can probably play the game at almost rock solid 60 fps?!

Now you want to insult me? What gives? I can try to play with the settings but these features are no compromise Max:

Textures
HBAO+
HDR
Volumetric lighting
LOD
SSR
Enhanced Destruction
Enhanced Water

As you can see, that's nearly all the 3d parameters.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Thors hair texture looks so bad lol.

That's not a hair texture. That's a translucent lighting specular lobe. Which actually is something most games don't even have. I like it because close to accurate in real life. It's an approximation though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am a fan of the most powerful hardware available. Always have been. But I'm a realist too. So I won't dream up something that isn't there.

There are several games now that can't run 60FPS 4k on Ultra with the 2080Ti.

1) FS2020
2) Marvel Avengers
3) Metro Exodus
4) Horizon Zero Dawn
5) Detroit Become Human
6) Control (without DLSS)
7) Modern Warfare

the list goes on. The morale of the story is that these Ultra settings are too taxing for the highest performance card available. FPS isn't the name of the game for looks. It's the rendering presentation.

Some variables may not appear to be a remarked improvement but there is a big difference with taking a hard shadow and blurring it before being presented to the scene and actually sampling around the prenumbra of a light source to get natural soft shadows (which is obviously more costly). Perhaps you may not see it, but the algorithm is there nevertheless.

Now you want to insult me? What gives? I can try to play with the settings but these features are no compromise Max:

Textures
HBAO+
HDR
Volumetric lighting
LOD
SSR
Enhanced Destruction
Enhanced Water

As you can see, that's nearly all the 3d parameters.
I doubt that all that talk about shadows slightly less detailed could be more noticeable than running the game at half the framerate, i'm sorry but you are the minority, nobody sacrifices 30 frames for these things, at least not in every performance guide i ever readed in my life, both from nvidia or peole like dsogaming or even performance topic on forums.

And no i was not insulting you, but if a guy like me can always find the righs settings to get high iq and 60 frames it's hard to believe that you can't...
Is avengers the first game in history where every damn setting on ultra looks so much better than high, i fail to remember another recent game with REAL ultra setting everywhere, there is always something that you can cut.

I don't know man, it just sounds wrong playing all these action games at 30 fps on a beast pc...

Last edited:

Shmunter

I doubt that all that talk about shadows slightly less detailed could be more noticeable than running the game at half the framerate, i'm sorry but you are the minority, nobody sacrifices 30 frames for these things, at least not in every performance guide i ever readed in my life, both from nvidia or peole like dsogaming or even performance topic on forums.

And no i was not insulting you, but if a guy like me can always find the righs settings to get high iq and 60 frames it's hard to believe that you can't...
Is avengers the first game in history where every damn setting on ultra looks so much better than high, i fail to remember another recent game with REAL ultra setting everywhere, there is always something that you can cut.

I don't know man, it just sounds wrong playing all these action games at 30 fps on a beast pc...
It’s not about what it looks like, it’s about how many boxes you can tick for ol VFX.

Manus

I wanna get this but my biggest concern is enemy variety. It honestly feels like their is five different robots you fight.

Reminds me a lot of the first Division.

VFXVeteran

Banned

You misunderstand. I just turned down shadows and DOF down and pushed my refresh back up to 60Hz. Guess what I get now? Yep, variations from 57FPS down to 31FPS. So now I get framepacing. I lock to 30FPS to avoid this. On average the game is giving me 45FPS. But depending on the scene and the action it tanks to 31FPS and sometimes below. Locking to 30FPS gives me more consistent frames than unlocking it.

You are insulting me by thinking I don't know how to tweak graphics settings while being a graphics programmer for years. Yes, that's insulting.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

GymWolf

You misunderstand. I just turned down shadows and DOF down and pushed my refresh back up to 60Hz. Guess what I get now? Yep, variations from 57FPS down to 31FPS. So now I get framepacing. I lock to 30FPS to avoid this. On average the game is giving me 45FPS. But depending on the scene and the action it tanks to 31FPS and sometimes below. Locking to 30FPS gives me more consistent frames than unlocking it.

You are insulting me by thinking I don't know how to tweak graphics settings while being a graphics programmer for years. Yes, that's insulting.
Well i'm sorry that i offended you, in my mind i was complimenting you for being far more knowledgeable than me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Have you tried 1800p?

Also i heard that disabling steam overlay and something about steam input in the options helped someone.

This game looks pretty broken for what i'm reading, like REALLY broken in term of performance.

Your gpu is the only one that can max the game with 60 frame...at 1080p...and you still have some minor dips...

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
What a game, it's running up against the Last of Us Part 2 as my GOTY.

The graphics on my calibrated OLED with HDR are amazing, I can't believe this is running on a Pro, it's hard to imagine a top end PC been much better (other than higher framerate). I love the feel of controlling the various characters, I love Marvel, I love playing in coop.

Its just simply pure fun.

This game isn't for everyone (it's certainly not perfect) but when it lands it really lands. So excited to see all the content they have in store.

I got my Thor up too 135 right now and “end game” Thor is fucking epic.

If they get the end game raids right and for fuck sake don’t do it like you did the “Hives” and make them legit dungeons........this game ain’t coming out of my PS4....even though it’s digital!

VFXVeteran

Banned
What a game, it's running up against the Last of Us Part 2 as my GOTY.

The graphics on my calibrated OLED with HDR are amazing, I can't believe this is running on a Pro, it's hard to imagine a top end PC been much better (other than higher framerate). I love the feel of controlling the various characters, I love Marvel, I love playing in coop.

Its just simply pure fun.

This game isn't for everyone (it's certainly not perfect) but when it lands it really lands. So excited to see all the content they have in store.

Yup. The graphics are super pretty. I'm very surprised.

Kagero

Awesome OT. Not gonna lie guys. This game looked like crap to me, but bought it anyway because I have nothing else to play and I’m surprised by how good it is. The story is very cinematic and the graphics look great! Characters somewhat still look like people cosplaying to me but it isn’t as bad as previews make it out to be.

Top Bottom