• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom PlayStation Evolution PS1 - PS4

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents Evolution of Marvel Vs. Capcom Games on PS platforms. This video shows the history of MVC games from 1998 to 2017.

0:00 The Game Evolution
0:06 Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)
0:56 Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (2000)
1:47 Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2011)
2:27 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
3:02 Marvel vs. Capcom Origins (2012)
3:45 Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (2017)
4:44 The Game Evolution

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I hate that we didn't get a version of Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes on the Saturn

Bilollipop

I know it doesn't have Marvel vs Capcom in the name, but X-Men Vs Street Fighter should be showcased. It's basically Marvel vs Capcom 0
I have way more fun with it than MvC1 and Marvel Superheroes Vs StreetFighter (Which should also be on this list)

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

God damnit I hate Marvel vs Capcom threads I always get my hopes up and it’s just a compilation vid. MVcI was killed off too soon damnit! I don’t get why more fighters don’t follow the Killer Instinct model of F2P with a rotating free character and a $60 fee to unlock the whole roster.

yurinka

I'd include X-Men Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes, because they were the start of these series, or at least Marvel vs Capcom rehashed most character sprites from there, the Street Fighter Alpha series and Darkstalkers.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

God damnit I hate Marvel vs Capcom threads I always get my hopes up and it’s just a compilation vid. MVcI was killed off too soon damnit! I don’t get why more fighters don’t follow the Killer Instinct model of F2P with a rotating free character and a $60 fee to unlock the whole roster.
MVCI is my personal favourite, I was looking forward to the roster becoming as big as UMVC3's....:lollipop_crying:

MrMephistoX

MVCI is my personal favourite, I was looking forward to the roster becoming as big as UMVC3's....:lollipop_crying:

It’s such a good game but was hamstrung by an ugly ass demo shitty marketing and Disney tbh. The frustrating part was that Disney literally bought FOX like a month after the game hit so they could have gotten the X-men in it.

Real shame.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The PS versions were a disgrace, you couldn't even tag lmao. Unless you did mirror matches.

Saturn versions were a generation ahead. The difference was that big.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I preordered MvC on Dreamcast with the fight stick. PS1 was good for scratching that itch of being at home instead of the arcade. You got to play as your favorite character, but that was about it. I remember playing all of them at the arcade. Some of my favorite memories were the Charlie assist in MvC or Shadow. Having Sentinel as an assist was also good. I own the Saturn ports of XMvsSF and MvsSF.

I miss those days. Infinite could have been better, but they lost that MvC charm along the way. I don’t understand what stops Capcom. Why are the 90’s X-Men/Marvel so hard to make a game for? This new stuff gets old after a while.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know it doesn't have Marvel vs Capcom in the name, but X-Men Vs Street Fighter should be showcased. It's basically Marvel vs Capcom 0
I have way more fun with it than MvC1 and Marvel Superheroes Vs StreetFighter (Which should also be on this list)

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter is, indeed, the best. Hard to say why, exactly... just flows better, I guess? They hadn't gone too over the top in terms of speed and crazy shit happening by that point.

*hugs CPS-2 board*

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I feel the same way. It's the only one of CAPCOM's Vs games where the cast of fighters were balanced against one another.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
these crossover games on Playstation 1 lacks the tag team feature and has performance issue, long load time etc. But it was better than nothing for me back then

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Balanced? You have to be kidding me. Those games lack any resemblance of fighting game balance.
X-Men Vs Street Fighter is the only one that felt balanced to me.

And maybe that one is imbalanced too as far as fighting games go but the smaller cast of characters make it less pronounced.

I think X-Men vs SF, Marvel SH vs SF, and Marvel vs Capcom 1 all have about the same roster size, don't they? They're all bumping up against the CPS-II storage limits with around 18ish characters IIRC (not counting space-saving palette swaps like Shadow Lady or whatever)....

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Series was special back in the day but with Capcom shilling the same old tired IPs and Marvel being EXTREMELY conservative about character selection to represent what the mainstream media should get given.

K1Expwy

I prefer the gameplay in MvCI over DBFZ, but looks-wise..... the latter successfully recreated the excitement from the early X-Men/Marvel/VS games, while MvCI seemed more concerned with another 5+ year esports business plan, and advertising future Disney movies. If Capcom (I said Capcom, not Marvel/Disney) doesn't have what it takes to respond to DBFZ appropriately, then now is a good time to put the series to bed

PS. X-Men COTA's music is classic, and hasn't been topped in this long series imo

sn0man

Definitely not the ride you want to be taken on.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We need Marvel Vs Capcom 2 again.
But not broken....

Not another tournament like this..

Sentinel, Psylocke, Magneto vs Psylocke, Sentinel, Magneto.... With Captain Commando Super Punch as Striker.

Or Cable with the infinite Beam Gun Super Glitch.

SSfox

Probably unpopular opinion but never been that much of a fan, tho i appreciate the concept of a bunch of Capcom characters in a fighting game, characters like Wesker, Amaterasu, Dante, Trish or Amaterasu.

Actually i would be much more excited for Capcom crossover than a Marvel VS Capcom.

Top Bottom