• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Midnight Suns | Review Thread

Esca

Anyone been sticking with just a few heros or pretty much using them all? I've been using different combos of hero peri much each time. Though I really like blade since he's self sufficient with life steal while being great in offense

What's the max level you can get the heros?

Anyone been sticking with just a few heros or pretty much using them all? I've been using different combos of hero peri much each time. Though I really like blade since he's self sufficient with life steal while being great in offense

What's the max level you can get the heros?

I pretty much used them all but I had ones I’d rather use, I didn’t like Blade that much same with Ghost Rider, with Blade he was best if you set him up with support cards, so getting nothing but his attack/hero cards at the beginning could really suck (pun intended) and I think block vs lifesteal is the better option. Ghost Rider was just too damn squishy and everything decent seems to come at a cost of either my health or my hand.

My favourites were Spider-man for crowd control and the free environmental attacks and the free card uses with the ultimate ability at low hero cost, Captain America for tank by far being able to pick up all attention through taunts, and Captain Marvel I thought was one of the more rounded being able to take on tank/single and area damage all at once with one hand. Nico and Magik are really fun to use but can be a bit weird to play, but at the same time they can do huge amounts of damage if set up right.

The max level is 25 but after that, it has sort of a prestige level system, same thing with friendship levels.

Last edited:
Looks fun but only on PS5 right now at $90 CAD is tough, especially with visuals that aren't so good. Will wait for a sale or see about the Switch version.

Looks fun but only on PS5 right now at $90 CAD is tough, especially with visuals that aren't so good. Will wait for a sale or see about the Switch version.

If they can get the abbey portion running playable on Switch hardware considering how it runs on higher end systems and PCs I’d honestly be surprised.

The graphics complaints are mainly just that the characters look like plastic action figures basically, just a lack of clear textures and too much specular highlights. The environmental graphics are decent but not great, not bad but not standout either…. Well that and the drinking glasses…for some reason the drinking glasses stand out like they were placed in post process at like half the resolution which is kinda bizarre when the image quality is usually pretty clean otherwise.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If they can get the abbey portion running playable on Switch hardware considering how it runs on higher end systems and PCs I’d honestly be surprised.

The graphics are basically just that the characters look like plastic action figures basically, just a lack of clear textures and too much specular highlights. The environmental graphics are decent but not great, not bad but not standout either. That and the drinking glasses…for some reason the drinking glasses stand out like they were placed in post process at like half the resolution.
Its glass is general. There are glass potion bottles that look weird too.

Its glass is general. There are glass potion bottles that look weird too.
Yeah I’ve noticed the collectible reagent bottles looking like crap, and a couple with the same model in other places, but most of the bottles at the dry bar look ok, it’s like it seems to be anything that’s supposed to be almost completely transparent that gets that bizarre pixelization.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright you fuckers convinced me ... getting this via rental next week to give it a shot.

BJK

I’m about 30 days in to the story, and really enjoying it. Wasn’t really using the environment / movement until Spider-man’s kit started to click with me.

Ghost Rider & Magik are the characters who jumped out for their ability to handle crowd control…though the tactics I use with Magik don’t cause as much damage as they used to.

Doctor Strange is the only character who hasn’t clicked with me, and maybe that’s just bad luck from a card RNG standpoint. So many of his early cards seem to be enhancement spells; I’d rather not waste a turn with those in lieu of playing another strong attack. Maybe I just need to git gud cards for him.

amigastar

The only thing i don't really follow is exploring the abbey, but thats only because there is no missionmarker to do so.

The graphics complaints are mainly just that the characters look like plastic action figures basically, just a lack of clear textures and too much specular highlights. The environmental graphics are decent but not great, not bad but not standout either…. Well that and the drinking glasses…for some reason the drinking glasses stand out like they were placed in post process at like half the resolution which is kinda bizarre when the image quality is usually pretty clean otherwise.

Yeah it'll most likely run like shit on Switch but it just looks like such a good type of game to have portable I want to hold out hope.

If someone wanted to swap me 1 for 1 for God of War I'd do that too.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't need a quest marker per se but it would be nice if i would get the message something like "Explore the Abbey" when something new unlocks.
There's a book in the library that agatha tells you to read, it gives hints on the next step of the main Abbey exploration, but nothing really "unlocks", you either have the ability to continue or you don't, and the game does make it kinda obvious.

amigastar

There's a book in the library that agatha tells you to read, it gives hints on the next step of the main Abbey exploration, but nothing really "unlocks", you either have the ability to continue or you don't, and the game does make it kinda obvious.
Yes, true. I forgot about the book in the Library that gives you a hint.

RNG

Finished the game. The framerate goes to complete shit on the very last mission area unless you completely close the game and reload the save again lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Couple of pointers just from the first (tutorial ?) mission.

1. How is it that games in 2022 designed to fit on big ass blu rays still use such shitty compressed video files for story cut-scenes
2. The frame rate has massive tanks when using special attacks like Iron Man's AOE. At least it's not a direct control action-game

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think the DLC can easily improve on this formula n a few ways:

1. Smaller hub. which allows you to access all terminals more quickly.

2. Less overall time spent in the hub.

3. Less restriction in the day/night cycle. It's sort of annoying not being able to check or set-up stuff just because I haven't gone to bed first. Maybe they can't allow me to set certain things in motion, perhaps, but not even allowing me to interact with terminals is sort of annoying.

I don't have many suggestions for the battle-system, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone does.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Couple of pointers just from the first (tutorial ?) mission.

1. How is it that games in 2022 designed to fit on big ass blu rays still use such shitty compressed video files for story cut-scenes
2. The frame rate has massive tanks when using special attacks like Iron Man's AOE. At least it's not a direct control action-game

They’re not designed to fit on big ass blu rays, they’re designed to be downloaded and stored on small-ish SSDs. I don’t know what version of the game you are playing, but on PC there is some nasty stutter the first time you use those attacks because of shader compilation. It only happens the one time each though.

SquillieDee

Whats everyone go to team? Try to usually go in with someone to attack, someone to tank and someone to do crowd control. Haven't finished the game but my ideal team is currently the Spider Man, Ghost Rider, and Captain America. Want to know if anyone found better team compositions possibly.
Ive been rolling with The Hunter, Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange, its working great so far, Captai Marvel is a BEAST. Only about 12 hours in though...

Hambone

Been playing consistently since launch, and have to say this is one of my favorite games of this year. I really don't have any favorite heroes, but I do lean on some more than other mostly due to not really playing them right, like Nico. Don't use her that much because her deck is weak and partly because I don't want to depend on her roulette RNG skills.

AdJkLMq.jpg

Last edited:

BJK

bruv, nico is a beast, you're missing out not using her, she might be the most powerful out of all of them aside from hunter.

Nico is the character I take on missions when I leave out the hunter, since she has so much healing in her deck (and her heal returns to your hand if the target has under 50% health)! Plus, her rare attack (Witchfire?) that bounces randomly on KO is a board-clearer.

I’m only in Act 2, so I don’t have anyone’s best cards, but she’s great.

graywolf323

Gold Member
has anyone watched the prequel shorts they uploaded to YouTube? I highly recommend it, the first one is here

edit: found a full playlist of all 5

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I changed my mind after the positive feedback and bought the game and... I LOVE IT. After spending 20-30 hours already it's currently my number #2 just behind Plague Tale 2. The combat is very satisfying and the game keeps adding stuff by introducing new heroes, new types of cards, new rules and new bosses. I'm also enjoying the social aspect with maxing out the friendships and it was fun to explore abbey grounds.
My main complaint is that the framerate isn't consistent (PS5 version), but at least it crashed on me only once. I also wish the game allowed for actual romances to happen instead of just becoming 'best friends' or hearing about Blade having feelings for Captain Marvel.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
My flight got cancelled to go visit family for the holidays due to the snow storm, so I wound up buying this game on a whim while I was stuck being snowed in. This game went from not even being on my radar to me voting for it as my goty in the voting thread.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
80 hours, 97 missions, 75 days, max friendship, all mysteries; finished.
Definitely GOTY for me, and the credits scene for the DLC with big bad doom looked pretty hype. Wonder if they are going to do a new villain for each dlc or just have one overarching one for all 4 packs.

Reactions: Isa
The games on sale on the Xbox store. I got the legendary or whatever for like $62 or something.

I just beat Venom.. combat seems cool but the game seems so talky so far? I am getting massive HFW vibes. Coming right off XCom 2, where the talk and cut scenes were minimal. Does this happen all game?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is an RPG. A VERY narrative focused RPG. The "talking" isn't going to cease as it is a game very much focused on the characters.

. . .if the "talking" up to the first fight with Venom put you off, it isn't going to get better.

chixdiggit

Just picked it up and it's pretty fun so far. Seems to have some minor technical hiccups but nothing too serious for the sale price.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Got it as well. It's fun but I can see the abbey/combat loop getting annoying mid-late game. I wish they made the combat environments explorable like in xcom 2 but as it is, you spend twice as long in Abbey doing dumb shit rather than the actual combat. Hopefully it gets better later.

mxbison

About 20 hours in and this would've easily made my Top 3 GOTY last year.

Never had any doubt that I would love the combat, I was more worried about the setting and exploration but both are fine.
Not a lot of objectives in the side missions but I don't mind that much, I have over 300 hours in Slay the Spire and it still doesn't bore me, that's the nature of card games, no round is the same.

Does the game eventually force you to continue with story missions? I've hardly done any and just been grinding side missions and leveling up.

Nico_D

How much RNG is there? I dropped Xcom the second I was standing next to an enemy and shooting them with a rifle - and missing. Multiple times.

I'm usually a really patient man but excessive luck in games - board or video - drives me crazy.

Top Bottom