• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Avengers Gameplay for those who give a fuck starts right now on Twitch!

Mazojin

Neo Member
I think I'd take a smaller roster with better combat. Look at DMC, not to say that V wasn't an afterthought, but considering how many abilities Nero and Dante got V's moveset was just lacking so, so much.
I'd also take a smaller roster with better combat, if I'm convinced the reduced number of characters actually contributed to the better combat. I'm not entirely convinced that's the case here, since Marvel based games have been produced with numerous characters before.

And Marvel has enough characters to ensue they have a diverse and fun moveset.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
According to steam user device data, I don't think most can run this at even 1440p 144fps.
Meh, those aren't really accurate. They'll typically read laptops as integrated graphics instead of their dedicated GPU's and not to mention how many PC's Steam is installed on shitty PC's so people can just play Counter Strike 1.6. Even that aside, the 1060 is the most popular GPU based on numbers and I'd bet at 1080p or any dynamic resolution you'd easily be able to eek out at a minimum 1440p 60fps with settings adjusted.

Romulus

Meh, those aren't really accurate. They'll typically read laptops as integrated graphics instead of their dedicated GPU's and not to mention how many PC's Steam is installed on shitty PC's so people can just play Counter Strike 1.6. Even that aside, the 1060 is the most popular GPU based on numbers and I'd bet at 1080p or any dynamic resolution you'd easily be able to eek out at a minimum 1440p 60fps with settings adjusted.

144fps is a far cry from 60fps though

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
144fps is a far cry from 60fps though
True, but when I made reference to 144fps I was referring to what I'll be play it at, you came in an made statements about Steam hardware. I'll be playing this at 3440x1440 120fps when I get my new GPU if I choose to use my ultrawide or 1440p 144fps if I want to use my second monitor instead or I could hook it up to my TV and play at 4k60fps. I don't really give a shit how one chooses to play the game. If one wants to enjoy it at 4k30 on consoles or 2k144hz on PC it's to each their own. Even all that aside, there is SO much flexibility that I'd wager that plenty will still be playing at 1080p+ at any framerate they want.

Last edited:

Romulus

True, but when I made reference to 144fps I was referring to what I'll be play it at, you came in an made statements about Steam hardware. I'll be playing this at 3440x1440 120fps when I get my new GPU if I choose to use my ultrawide or 1440p 144fps if I want to use my second monitor instead or I could hook it up to my TV and play at 4k60fps. I don't really give a shit how one chooses to play the game. If one wants to enjoy it at 4k30 on consoles or 2k144hz on PC it's to each their own. Even all that aside, there is SO much flexibility that I'd wager that plenty will still be playing at 1080p+ at any framerate they want.

lol you don't give a shit, yet you take the time post about how you'll be playing it 144fps over the 60fps console version. I could play it on either, not sure I even will though based on its progress.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
lol you don't give a shit, yet you take the time post about how you'll be playing it 144fps over the 60fps console version. I could play it on either, not sure I even will though based on its progress.
I was replying to a guy that said "imagine this in motion at 4k60fps on PS5". It's no different than what he said, but somehow me saying 144fps on PC hurt your feelings to make an argument arguing....something I guess and are still trying to make what point again? Go jump down that dudes throat if you want to be some kind of champion of...console graphics? Or whatever stupid point you are driving at.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I know exactly what you were doing, and anyone else that saw that post does too. No explanation needed.
giphy.gif

Love how you selectively pick who's doing what and why they are doing it. You still made no point or argument so I'll just let it rest. Keep on keepin' on bud.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Reason, why Marvel is pushing "new" female/ethic characters, is simply because they're been pushing agendas. Look at the state of current comics they've pushing a leftist agenda for years. Anyone who have opposing ideas are shunned. They start twitter wars with fans when they should just stick to creating books. They should be embracing opposing ideas not rejecting them.

And you never wonder why they cancel those books so early? Again that why I'm saying that's Marvel as a whole is bleeding but bleeding slow.

Reason being is because I target those two specifically is that everyone says they're great characters but never explain why. They don't have anything interest about them. Outside them being minorities. Their stories have been rehashes of older characters' stories with lamer results. Again, their comics don't sell even when current slump Marvel's in. They're not up there with current bigger comics. Ms. Marvel's first run was basically a boring slice of life comic. She doesn't have any faults as a character same as Miles. Her power set is garbage. It's even worst for Miles now that he's in the 616 universe, he can't be called Spider Man. He has to share universe 10 other spider man like characters. They're basically just made it clear that he's a token character in 616. These aren't major players in their own universe at all.

I was typing up an extremely long winded response and then thought that we will both have very differing opinions on the matter, and that's OK.

I want to try and be a bit more positive with my messages on GAF and so I'll just say that I am still very interested in this game and can't wait to try it. Yeah, the frame rate isn't the best but hopefully it will be fine on PS5. I'll probably be buying it on that platform as I can afford a $1500aud+ PC right now. For me, this game is more like the true threequel to Marvel Ultimate Alliance, just in 3rd person view. If I think of it in that manner, the combat system doesn't have to be intricate.
^__^

Iced Arcade

Wonder how far they were in development before the hammer stuffed Ms. Marvel into the game to gain exposure for the upcoming tv series

Ok this is weird, the E3 presentation last year had gameplay of thor and captain america and even black widow look and play superb. But this new thor wearing a round neck top with jeans looked weird in a not a so great way. The graphics looked neat, but there was something off with the gameplay, with the way he moved, did his combat and walked. Just not feeling it. Also just a couple of days ago Crystal dynamics CTO posted on playstation blog emphasizing how they were able to quickly get the game running on PS5 and targeting 4K60fps and give players another choice of higher graphic fidelity mode. Yet they chose to show the PS4 version in the war table demonstration and gameplay that followed. Just feel the game isn't looking polished in whatever was shown yesterday. I was super looking forward to it, now I am in the don't know how i feel about the game territory :( Want this to be as good as insomniac's spiderman game!

Labolas

Something being similar and flat out ripping off are two different things. Peter works for a newspaper, is raised by someone who isn't his biological parents, and his civilian identity has him as a glasses-wearing nerd. Well, guess Peter sucks because he "ripped off" Superman! Similar concepts are universal, Kamala being similar to prior superheros is no different from every superhero made post-Superman. Storylines are irrelevant, if your average Joe didn't know who the GOTG were pre-2010's, they were B-listers at best. So what if he fights the same villains, many legacy characters fought older villains and still had enjoyable comics. I mean, there's thousands of GLs so obviously not all of them are going to be winners (*cough* Kyle *cough*) but earlier you seemed to be writing Miles off purely because he was among 10 Spider-people so that's why I bought up GLs so if some GLs are interesting that negates the idea that "multiple characters of the same code name can't be interesting".

Okay, now you're agreeing with me. Which just confuses me, but whatevs.

They don't release digital numbers so you can't know how big their sales are. So if nothing's proven then you can't claim her book sells low when it comes to TOTAL sales. Sure, I also can't claim her book sells high, but regardless again sales don't equal quality.

Also, I missed this post earlier:

Please don't say shit like this. Just as people should be offended if not liking a character gets them called racist (unless they actually are being racist, or sexist or homophobic, about it), people should equally be offended by liking a character results in them being accused of being dishonest and only liking a character due to race/gender/orientation. Yes, the idea of a Muslim lead was intriguing to me as said culture had rarely been focused on in Marvel/DC, but I STAYED on the series because I genuinely liked Kamala and her book. I empathize with her, and can personally relate to her insecurity and anxiety she has sometimes. And it legit doesn't feel good to have my opinion dismissed in such a way. You're fine to dislike the book even if I disagree with lots of your points, hell at least you read it which is likely more than I can say for a good deal of the people bashing her in these game previews' comments, but I wouldn't call you racist or anything for doing so as you did nothing to suggest that, and likewise I'd appreciate it if you extended the same courtesy to us who are fans of her.

Sorry for the late reply. Since this is your last reply, I still want to reply and clarify some stuff and this will be mine. Kamala was always getting compared to Parker even when she made her first debut. Hell, there was even an article post by Screen Rant saying she is a perfect replacement for Parker. Not going to deny that GOTG is a B list team. That doesn't make them any less significant towards the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Venom, my favorite Marvel character was considered a B-lister character for the longest time, he's not involved in a lot of major storylines and he had a lot of weaknesses and isn't that OP as other Marvel characters. Although now there's an argument that he's an A-lister character now. And GL comparison doesn't make sense because they're the Green Lantern Corps meaning it's an affiliation. When I say there's 10 spider man like characters I don't mean they're all call Spider Man. There's Spider-Gwen (Ghost Spider), Kaine, Scarlet Spider, Madme Webb, Spider Silk, Venom, Carnage, Doppelganger, and various others. Not one is called Spider Man. Spider Man is not just a code name, at this point it's a mantle. A more apt comparison would be Batman. Yes Bruce Wayne is Batman, but he can pass the Batman name and mantle on to someone else (ie Azazel, Dick, Daimen). There aren't two Batmen walking around DC. I'm not writing off Miles, hell, I liked Miles' run in Ultimate universe. And you know what Marvel did? They killed off the Ultimate universe. Killed off the current run of Miles' story. For what? Just so they could be bring him into the 616 for their little diversity young team. It was ridiculous. They essentially tokenized him and made him black Spider Man. Instead of using a lot of other black characters or create new ones, they used Miles and killed any potential interest in him.

And it because of that her digital sales don't that much. Physical retail matters way more than digital. There's a reason why comics completely shut down when the Chinese virus was running rampant in the past two months. If they were able to sell digital, wouldn't they be able to still keep their business running for those two past months?

I was using sarcasm about Kamala's powers. Ms. Marvel is a C lister. Her powers aren't great and are lame as hell. Her storylines have been subpar. No one's talking about her story or any villains she fights and says, "Hey this storyline is great and she's an awesome character because how she dealt with this situation or her personality unique." It's usually just because she looks awesome and nothing else is really explained beyond that. And when I said that the only reason Kamala is well liked because she's a minority is because the news articles about her (or Miles for that matter as well) completely praise because she's a minority completely ignoring other characters that came before her nor talk about her as a character. And look I can tell you're a fan of Kamala, and I didn't mean to lump you in with those who are jumping on a bandwagon.

I was typing up an extremely long winded response and then thought that we will both have very differing opinions on the matter, and that's OK.

I want to try and be a bit more positive with my messages on GAF and so I'll just say that I am still very interested in this game and can't wait to try it. Yeah, the frame rate isn't the best but hopefully it will be fine on PS5. I'll probably be buying it on that platform as I can afford a $1500aud+ PC right now. For me, this game is more like the true threequel to Marvel Ultimate Alliance, just in 3rd person view. If I think of it in that manner, the combat system doesn't have to be intricate.
^__^

And you know what? That's fine. I'm not going to look and label you as enemies or disregard your guys' opinions on other stuff. I'm pretty sure we can find common ground other things.

Last edited:

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
If the main protagonist (EDIT : or any character actually) is not a white male, angry gamers will say "SJWs/PoLitIcs aRe CoRrUpTiNg My gAmEs !"

Thanks - I meant the part about the main character being the big hands girl. Seems severely misguided if that's the case, and I'm certain they promised otherwise.

DelireMan7

Thanks - I meant the part about the main character being the big hands girl. Seems severely misguided if that's the case, and I'm certain they promised otherwise.

Haha ok. Don't really what main character means in this game. It seems will play all of them quite a lot so... But yes from the trailer it looks like she will be leading the narrative.

I don't really mind. Didn't know her and I am curious

Nickolaidas

Banned
Nah, you said yourself her "struggles" are pretty much like Pete's. Nah, she's a C-lister. Guardians were hugely connected to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Miles doesn't have his own universe to play off of like he did in the Ultimates. He has no rouge gallery to play off of. Now that's in the 616 he gets have Peter's hand downs. And essentially gets bumped down in the pecker of importance as a character. Well some of the Green Lanterns do suck.

Yes, growing tiny is an awesome power to have. Very unique. Very. /s I agree with you on that Torch and Thing were my favorites.

Well here's the thing digital sales are not that huge though. They haven't really proven that their Ms. Marvel out sells her physical ones.
She doesn't have to be original to be a good character. She just needs good writing, which she is currently getting. I find her a lot more interesting than say, Wolverine, whose whole schtick got old even before we got to the new millennium, or Carol Danvers who is pushing the 'females are amazing' agenda so far down my throat I feel like throwing up.

Kamala is humble, likable, energetic, flawed and fun to read about.

Labolas

She doesn't have to be original to be a good character. She just needs good writing, which she is currently getting. I find her a lot more interesting than say, Wolverine, whose whole schtick got old even before we got to the new millennium, or Carol Danvers who is pushing the 'females are amazing' agenda so far down my throat I feel like throwing up.

Kamala is humble, likable, energetic, flawed and fun to read about.
Wolverine is more interesting as a character though than Kamala. I don't think there's one person that prefers her over Wolvy to be in the game. The things that happened to him as a character holds way importance than anything Kamala has done. His powers are interesting and his personality as a character connects with mainstream audiences more. Also you're not going fight on me the current era of Marvel comics, I can agree with you on that. It's been bad. There's been at best handful of good comics to read rn. And the female agenda thing is outta control.

Sounds like a slice of life protagonist to me.

Last edited:

Doom85

I don't think there's one person that prefers her over Wolvy to be in the game.

(raises hand)

But not necessarily for the reasons you think. Honestly, I've always found the mixing of X-men with the rest of the universe to be nonsensical and the "justification" for why some people hate mutants but will raise zero fuss over Thor to be extremely flimsy. It doesn't help they actually had Cyclops call out the Avengers for pretty much doing nothing during various times mutantkind needed their help. Nice that they acknowledge it but it also just makes the Avengers seem out-of-character and just adds more issues to the mixing of what feels to be two different settings. At least the MCU can hopefully plan things better and make their inclusion work somewhat better.

I give Scarlet Witch and Quiksilver a pass to be on Avengers, but no thank you to Wolverine or any of the X-men being in the game. Just make a X-men game and boom you've got them so no need to shoehorn them into Avengers, plus Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 already had them in it (not to mention 1 and 2, plus both X-men Legends games).

Labolas

(raises hand)

But not necessarily for the reasons you think. Honestly, I've always found the mixing of X-men with the rest of the universe to be nonsensical and the "justification" for why some people hate mutants but will raise zero fuss over Thor to be extremely flimsy. It doesn't help they actually had Cyclops call out the Avengers for pretty much doing nothing during various times mutantkind needed their help. Nice that they acknowledge it but it also just makes the Avengers seem out-of-character and just adds more issues to the mixing of what feels to be two different settings. At least the MCU can hopefully plan things better and make their inclusion work somewhat better.

I give Scarlet Witch and Quiksilver a pass to be on Avengers, but no thank you to Wolverine or any of the X-men being in the game. Just make a X-men game and boom you've got them so no need to shoehorn them into Avengers, plus Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 already had them in it (not to mention 1 and 2, plus both X-men Legends games).

(puts down hand)

Oh yeah, totally agree. I think that X-Men should have been in their own universe. It would have been more consistent from a writing standpoint. Like I never understood why mutants get discriminated against and you've got Hulk and fucking actual aliens walking around. Yeah he is an X-men first and foremost, but from a mainstream standpoint, I can understand why someone would want Wolverine in there, not saying he should be, but I understand why.

There have been so many people on the Avengers line up though. And Wolverine has actually been on the team. People would have been more hyped to see him in it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom