• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers Game Review Thread

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, the fact that people have what is called "opinions" is intolerable to some when it differs from the only one that is right which is mine.
Your avatar proves that your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

But this game has a full campaign, and Fortnite does not, so it's not entirely a fair comparison.
I only used Fortnite as it was used as an example from the person I was responding to. While true, the 10-12 hour campaign is not meant to be the games focal point by any means. It's the multiplayer and "service" aspect of it that is meant to be the real meat and legs here.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This is a perfect buy for a gamestop preowned sale so it comes out to about 12 bucks. Just to check it out, out of curiosity because I liked Avengers.

I am so ready for an Avengers game but I just have a bad feeling about this. I feel like deep down I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment if I get hyped.

Trying not to think about it and waiting till its out. I'll be really happy if it's a good game.

edit: DAT iron man vr game tho

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like this game is getting better reviews than what people were saying the demo was ass.

Doesn't look like it'll be a GOTY kind of game but mid-70s is a half decent game.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This is kind of sad, the reveal looked so promising.... I was hoping for a real game (I.E. local single player).
It's better than the beta. Great campaign that does have heart. Sure some end game stuff is repetitive but the skill trees are massive and they are/will be adding levels, more heroes and more story content. It has a polished 10-12 hour campaign and that alone is worth it but you get so much more. Those complaining have either only played the beta or are just moaning about another GAAS. But I cannot think of a GAAS game with a campaign like this. They can certainly build on this.

Aion002

While I dont give a rats ass for this game, reviews called Destiny a bad game. And we all know how Destiny is doing now (y)
Maybe... But Destiny has an amazing gameplay, shooting and using powers on Destiny is fun, the controls are responsive and top notch.

Bungie is probably one of the best FPS makers out there and thanks to Halo they have a huge following.

While this Avengers game is a simplistic game aimed at casuals, with poor gameplay mechanics and uninspired "stages", if it was not using a famous franchise it would be forgotten in a month....

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I tried the beta and couldn't get past the intro single player shit. It was dog shit. No desire to dig deeper in this game.

ruvikx

Banned
It boggles my mind that an avengers game doens't have more budget and manpower than rdr2 and tlou2 combined and especially better devs to work on it...it's fucking avengers, the most successfull stuff of the last 10 years ffs.

this thing could have been bigger than gta6, the potential was there...

i am the only who doesn't understand how they wasted such an opportunity with a gigantic brand like this one?

I don't believe a movie/comic brand being "massive" translates into the gaming world, based on past history. Soulless mediocre cash grabs with a movie license slapped on the cover used to be the accepted norm for these types of games way back in the ps1 era (I remember a Phantom Menace dumpster fire in particular, or some Jurassic Park garbage). Arkham Asylum was pretty much the first one of those licensed games which was good from my perspective.

People buy GTA because it's "the" most famous video game in the world. People go to watch Avengers because it was "the" biggest movie event in the world last year. It doesn't mean people would flock to see a GTA movie or buy an Avengers video game. And what made this game even less appealing is there's no Robert Downey Jr or any of the movie cast, i.e. which couldn't happen anyway because they'd cost far too much money to hire. So the potential for a great Avengers game (certainly based on the movies) is probably not feasible in the real world.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Pejo

As someone that's mostly over Marvel stuff at this point, after reading through a few reviews and watching a few video reviews, I think it's safe to say this is a "wait for sale" game for me. It's still a shame that they didn't get the likenesses of the MCU characters. If there was one game I'd be excited for some face-scan stuff, it's this one.

Is there an announcement of which characters we can expect for future release?

As someone that's mostly over Marvel stuff at this point, after reading through a few reviews and watching a few video reviews, I think it's safe to say this is a "wait for sale" game for me. It's still a shame that they didn't get the likenesses of the MCU characters. If there was one game I'd be excited for some face-scan stuff, it's this one.

Is there an announcement of which characters we can expect for future release?
They've already announced that Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, and Spider-Man (Only on PlayStation) will be future DLC characters. They also strongly hinted Black Panther is another.

Pejo

They've already announced that Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, and Spider-Man (Only on PlayStation) will be future DLC characters. They also strongly hinted Black Panther is another.
Do you mean both Hawkeye and Kate Bishop, or are you just talking about her as Hawkeye?

Bodom78

Just watched the Giant Bomb crew play some of the multiplayer and man is it headache inducing.

Can the motion blur be turned off on consoles?

Kagey K

Banned
This is kind of sad, the reveal looked so promising.... I was hoping for a real game (I.E. local single player).
This is the exact opposite of the impression most my friends and myself had.

The reveal was super shitty and they managed to polish it up to a reasonable state.

Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it launched in a much better state than most of us thought it would.

wait the campaign isnt actually coop wtf? I just noticed from some videos. I'm pretty sure they said it will be a lot of times. Who the fuck wants to play side quests in coop? The point of an Avengers game is to play some bombastic story with your friends. What a waste. Guess I'll just get this in a year or two.

GamerEDM

Banned
Damn
fBPxKHX.png

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
wait the campaign isnt actually coop wtf? I just noticed from some videos. I'm pretty sure they said it will be a lot of times. Who the fuck wants to play side quests in coop? The point of an Avengers game is to play some bombastic story with your friends. What a waste. Guess I'll just get this in a year or two.

I agree with this, wasted potential.

Arun1910

Wait what... What's the point in that :messenger_neutral:

It's better than the beta. Great campaign that does have heart. Sure some end game stuff is repetitive but the skill trees are massive and they are/will be adding levels, more heroes and more story content. It has a polished 10-12 hour campaign and that alone is worth it but you get so much more. Those complaining have either only played the beta or are just moaning about another GAAS. But I cannot think of a GAAS game with a campaign like this. They can certainly build on this.
I may give it a run when it's 10$

Saw more... wow, the character scenes, vendors/factions, and opening chests are direct Destiny clones. They didn't even try to file off the serial numbers.

Fuck, this bums me. Still in team deep discount. $15ish dollars is good.

Last edited:

Exede

It is coop most of the time. But yup, a complete coop story would have been better.

So the Worth a Buy review said he played for over 20 hours and got no meaningful loot. Just how does loot work in this loot game?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So the Worth a Buy review said he played for over 20 hours and got no meaningful loot. Just how does loot work in this loot game?

you get armor and attack power ups like destiny. You can also upgrade those items themselves if you want.
there is a “ set optimal “ quick option which I used a lot.

but there is also skilL trees that you need to points to that take a lot of time to upgrade. You however do not need to upgrade these a lot for the single player game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
same metric as Battletoads but with a lower user rating...

Already uninstalled it, don’t see myself playing it any more.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

lol people want it to fail so badly. Pretty sad when you're rooting for a game to fail that you haven't even played.

For me personally I played the beta and stopped short of all I had access to,the writing was on the wall what type of game this was going to be. Not gonna waste time bitching about it or harassing those enjoying it. It just sucks that we finally get a Avengers game and yet again it's another game that could've been amazing that's fallen victim to greed and the GaaS model,its tiring.

If I buy a Avengers game I expect a 4 player coop main campaign through a sprawling NYC as we try and save the world from a catastrophic event and fight powerful enemies. I don't wanna play a single player campaign as a character I give two shits about while I watch the things happen that I actually want to do. If I buy a Spiderman game and then the whole time I play as Mary Jane it'd be the same issue.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'll be playing this most of the weekend. I'd love to play with any of you if you feel like adding me on Playstation. I don't have a mic right now but I can be a silent team player. Pretend I'm Groot.

My ID is Multiple_8

kunonabi

For me personally I played the beta and stopped short of all I had access to,the writing was on the wall what type of game this was going to be. Not gonna waste time bitching about it or harassing those enjoying it. It just sucks that we finally get a Avengers game and yet again it's another game that could've been amazing that's fallen victim to greed and the GaaS model,its tiring.

If I buy a Avengers game I expect a 4 player coop main campaign through a sprawling NYC as we try and save the world from a catastrophic event and fight powerful enemies. I don't wanna play a single player campaign as a character I give two shits about while I watch the things happen that I actually want to do. If I buy a Spiderman game and then the whole time I play as Mary Jane it'd be the same issue.

I don't necessarily have an issue with GaaS setup since Marvel has so many characters, villains, and exciting locations to explore that you couldn't really fit them all in a standard 10 hour campaign. Problem with this game is that aside from the awful character designs, terrible campaign, and bugginess the game pretty much skimps on all that stuff. It's just super boring environments and level design and almost no super villains to speak of. I'd hope that it was just a matter of getting the base game done in time and the upcoming content will be much better eventually but who knows.

Exede

I'll be playing this most of the weekend. I'd love to play with any of you if you feel like adding me on Playstation. I don't have a mic right now but I can be a silent team player. Pretend I'm Groot.

My ID is Multiple_8
Soooo you can just say: I AM GROOT and just in that order I... and AM... and GROOT?! JK will add you later.

BlackM1st

Banned
7? Good. Confirmed my expectations of it being a 6 lol

Now wait and see, first 3 to 6 months will tell us more.

Worst way possible, you can't see it equipped on the model, and models (skins) are main money waste. It's ain't Diablo.
The fuck it does... I had my Thor at 136 with 5100 heroic ability......with how I had my skills I basically had my heroic abilities up almost always.....got two 130 pieces of armor and killled 2 pieces that had valor stats and now I’m down too 3600 and my character is so much weaker.

So at least the stats on it are worth a fuck and basically that is what matters in a game like this.

Seen multiple builds for Thor on YouTube and nothing close to how I built mine.

Going to be so many builds.

This game is a min/max wet dream.

If you are into making builds and playing the game.....you are going to get addicted to this game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I guess it is a good thing MUA 3 still exists?

wipeout364

For a licensed game this is really pretty solid. I had a lot of doubts but Crystal Dynamics yet again show why they are one of the best narrative studios out there. I agree that the game will likely struggle to have longterm legs but I think if you are a marvel fan and I mean comics in particular you will get significant enjoyment out of this.
I am not a fan of Ms. Marvel at all In comics but Crystal Dynamics writing and the voice actress are amazing. I think the voice acting is excellent across the board.
I would not advise anybody to buy it who is on the fence and short of cash, but If you are on the fence and not concerned about the cost go for it.
I completely agree with the micro transactions being ridiculous though. Way too expensive for skins and emotes.

Camreezie

Finished the campaign yesterday, there is a distinct lack of Marvel universe elements which is criminal. Not enough villains and the side content is the same couple of areas repackaged , hope it gets better with time and the DLC actually adds more locations and villains otherwise this was fairly wide of the mark. Saying all that the campaign was pretty good and if there was more of it it would justify the price tag

ManaByte

Marvel IP games should be implemented in videogame form by PlayStation studios and not by 3rd party factories like Crystal Dynamics.
Unless you don't care if the game is actually good.

This is just confirming the belief by many that the game is being shit on (by some) because it's not a 1st party exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom