• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers Game Review Thread

plyt6wG.jpg

Available on: PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, Google Stadia
Developers: Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal
Publisher: Square Enix
Genres: Action, RPG

Disclaimer Spider-Man character exclusive to Playstation

Metacritic - Currently has a 67 Metascore with a 5.4 user rating

OpenCritic - Currently has a 68 score

Trusted Reviews - 7/10

Gamers Heroes - 8/10

Worth Playing - 8.5/10

Gamerheadquaters - 9/10

Techsyndrome - 6/10

JeuxVideo - 6.5/10

Shacknews - 8/10

Heavy - 8.5/10

Game Informer - 8.8/10

VideoGamer - 7/10

PC Invasion - 8/10

Gadgets 360 - 6/10

Spaziogames - 7.4/10

GameCrate - 8.3/10

GameMag - 6/10

Cultured Vultures - 6.5/10

CGMagazine - 7.5/10

VGC - 2/5

Gaming Boulevard - 10/10

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
He also called out the awful level design and repetitiveness. Does not bode well for a game that's meant to be played over and over again.

tah level "design" .. these types of games are just run and beat up. If you are playing solo they will kill your brain cells.

*types*

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Assuming they'll be patched there were quite a bugs I saw on LIRIK's stream when he beat the game. A lot of them were sound-based. So moments where a lot of sounds were just completely absent. Other moments where voice work was completely missing or characters would talk over one another. There were even moments where animations were just completely absent in cutscenes. Pretty rough stuff. Unsure if they're just PC bugs or what. But it was incredibly annoying and distracting.

The combat is, what I'd imagine, definitely what carried it. I know LIRIK felt the same. But good god is the level design rough, especially in a game where grinding is a thing you'll do. The levels almost look procedurally generated, but in the worst way.

The visuals do look pretty nice though, and it appears a lot of the framerate issues from the beta have been resolved. All on PC of course, can't speak for consoles.

Maybe the game will see some improvements overtime? Don't know. But some people enjoy it, especially hardcore Marvel/Avenger's fans. Other than that, the game looks and feels like an attempt to get whatever they can from fans.

Karak

tah level "design" .. these times of games are just run and beat up. If you are playing solo they will kill your brain cells.
Not even close. Discussed that in the review. There are tons of examples of at least somewhat tangible and acceptable level design in grinding games. This isn't it. Thats why I stated that in the review. Also played it with people. It doesn't make any difference alone or with others. It magically doesn't make the level suddenly good.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Meh, expected as much. It looked absolute turd from the beginning.

Now get back to making a next-gen Tomb Raider for us CD.

Fbh

As with all these GaaS, if the story is decent it seems like it will be a good enough pickup in 1.5-2 years when it's like $10.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I knew it'll be about the same score as Destiny. These GAAS games have a ceiling for how good they can be.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the meta. Still a lot of reviews to come in. I expect it to drop hard.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Apparently the game has a number of broken trophies/achievements, so if you care about that, beware. The launch is basically open beta 2.0, so of course, not surprising.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Really hope this turkey doesn't kill CD.

nah there will be enough marvel fans that will spend a lot of money in microtransactions to warrant a sequel.

Though the game is right up with the bad movie tie in games of the past.
its pretty bad.

You need to build your skills, but it takes a lot to open skills. There are side missions you can take to help with that, but you will never want to do those because the beatem up gameplay is so tedious.
and don't get me started on the stand here in this box for an hour and fend off enemies while the computer "hacks" into something. its a horrible mesh of capture the flag and king of hill.
Just like the old movie tie in games .. Enemy variety doesn't exist. its the same robots and saoldiers most of the game with a few variations and reskins.

It seems to me that the game should have either been focused on being entirely a single player story driven game OR a multiplayer PSO style instanced game and not both.

Top Bottom