• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers adds Kamala Khan [Keyart, screenshots and new trailers from the NYCC]

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
man-hands-xl.jpg

scienceofsleep372.jpg

...In other words...does this look pretty silly to anyone else? :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

sol_bad

Based on the comics it makes sense from a story perspective.
She is an ordinary every day girl who looks up to and is inspired by super heroes. She even writes bloody fanfics about them. In the first trailer for the game we see her saved by Captain America (I think). Some time after that she gets infected by the Terigenesis gas and gains her powers. The Avengers have fallen apart and now she wants to inspire and help them come back together.

sol_bad

From what I've seen, from multiple positive opinions online, and from what I've played, Marvel Avengers is a truly spectacular game

Is this a serious or joke post? I hope serious. lol
As excited as I am for this I still have my concerns.

D.Final

Banned
Is this a serious or joke post? I hope serious. lol
As excited as I am for this I still have my concerns.

It's a serious post :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I'm really excited about the game.
And playing it I got to try a really interesting, particular, and very good battle system :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Then, in addition to good opinions online, I saw that behind the project there is a really huge potential, which if exploited properly could give great satisfaction in terms of gameplay and plot.

Nickolaidas

Banned
It's a serious post :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I'm really excited about the game.
And playing it I got to try a really interesting, particular, and very good battle system :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Then, in addition to good opinions online, I saw that behind the project there is a really huge potential, which if exploited properly could give great satisfaction in terms of gameplay and plot.
I'd love it if Spider-Man and Venom make it as playable characters into the game.

sol_bad

Would be cool if Sentry or Hyperion were playable, random characters not many people will probably know.
Although their power sets are probably overkill like Superman for a game like this.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Kamala Khan is amazing, but this is the internet, where lots of folks hate both minorities and women, and Kamala happens to tick off both boxes, so it's unsurprising that some folks get pissy about this sort of thing.

Doom85

Kamala Khan is amazing, but this is the internet, where lots of folks hate both minorities and women, and Kamala happens to tick off both boxes, so it's unsurprising that some folks get pissy about this sort of thing

Let's not, shall we? Yes, there are those sorts of people online (including this site), but there's many more just butthurt they didn't go with the predictable line-up of all the A-listers first.

That being said, based on such "logic", I guess the MCU fucked up by doing Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014 before Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc. Pre-2014, GOTG were damn obscure outside of the comic reading circle, yet James Gunn didn't let that stop him, but then when Square Enix does it suddenly everyone's bitching and whining. Figures.

EekTheKat

Am I'm supposed to believe 2 of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe and a Spy who has probably seen something like this countless number of times and who is well versed in her craft can't figure out a conspiracy against the Avengers,?

While Kamala Khan (who IMHO, reads like a Mary Sue/author self insert in this game), a "self avowed" avengers fan figures it all out and brings them all back together?

That summary of the story sounds pretty poor - though they could be going for the Young Adult angle - where Kamala is supposed to be the the vehicle for the younger fans to interact with the other Avengers.

Even if she does end up being the main character all the way through, I'm down for a Kamala focused story. She gets a lot of flack for being part of All New All Different Avengers (which admittedly was mostly trash), but I don't mind her as a character. I actually really liked the issue where Shocker got tired of being a D-Lister in NYC, so he goes down to Jersey and fights her. Give her a good writer and I feel like she could really shine.

Doom85

Am I'm supposed to believe 2 of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe and a Spy who has probably seen something like this countless number of times and who is well versed in her craft can't figure out a conspiracy against the Avengers,?

I don't know Natasha's excuse, but Tony flat out says he knows they were set up but based on how he's acting he's clearly an emotional wreck (possibly having drinking problems too since it is Tony) and Bruce is regressing into his loner mentality (as Tony explains why he's suddenly leaving Kamala: "no, this is what he does.") Either of them would likely figure it out on their own, their heart just isn't in it while Kamala is more emotionally removed from the situation due to not personally knowing them back then.

Also, I realize the game and comics are two separate things, but Kamala screws things up fairly often in her comic with her friends and family and fighting villains (to the point that there's one instance where her friend Bruno gets hurt and the comic treats it like it's another of Kamala's mistakes although in this event I actually think Bruno was the one who fucked up by not thinking things through), she reminds me of Peter Parker in that sense of constantly stumbling and having to pick themselves back up. I know we're talking about the game version, but anyone trying to label the comic version of Kamala as the overused term "Mary Sue" will be issued a gif of J. Jonah Jameson laughing followed by "you serious?"

While Kamala Khan (who IMHO, reads like a Mary Sue/author self insert in this game), a "self avowed" avengers fan figures it all out and brings them all back together?

That summary of the story sounds pretty poor - though they could be going for the Young Adult angle - where Kamala is supposed to be the the vehicle for the younger fans to interact with the other Avengers.

They pretty much are a self-insert for Amanat, you get that tone from interviews and panels where Kamala gets brought up. The problem with self-inserts is that, they tend to end up as Mary Sues/Gary Stus because no one instinctively wants to portray themselves negatively. As people (and as society conditions), we want to put our best selves out there, and get rid of all the bad shit about us and our lives. Look at Instagram :S.

And Marvel's been after the YA market for a good while now, they've made several big shifts with the comics division over the years to cater to the YA audience.....at the expense of the actual comic book market...

Last edited:

sol_bad

oh
Someone else who hasn't read the comics spouting bullshit.
Of course.

oagboghi2

Kamala Khan is amazing, but this is the internet, where lots of folks hate both minorities and women, and Kamala happens to tick off both boxes, so it's unsurprising that some folks get pissy about this sort of thing.
Name one story Kamala Khan that is “amazing”

I’ll wait.

The character sucks. People like you can’t defend her so you call anyone who calls her crap out as a racist. It’s tired and predictable.

oh
Someone else who hasn't read the comics spouting bullshit.
Of course.
What bullshit? Where is he wrong?

I know you defend everything marvel but goddamn dude, have some standards for once

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with her being an incredibly annoying character along with her stories being mediocre for the most in some people's opinions.

manfestival

Hello low hanging fruit, how are you today?

Barakov

Oh look, it's this character that Marvel constantly keeps trying to shove down everyone's throats despite everyone saying "Nah fam, we're good". It's been awhile since 180'd this hard on a game.

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with her being an incredibly annoying character along with her stories being mediocre for the most in some people's opinions.
This is a hard fact. As usual, this is Marvel ticking a box and pissing anybody who had any interest in this game.

sol_bad

You guys are all mental. DC and Marvel always cancel books that are not doing well, some only last 4-6 issues. We have seen this constantly happen throughout the years.
If Ms. Marvel wasn't selling, why would any company want to keep burning money on the project if they weren't seeing any returns. It makes no logical sense.

I know the physical sales aren't great but until we can see the digital sales, we'll never know the 100% truth. But based on my 2 sentences above, it makes zero sense to keep the book going for 6 and a half years if it wasn't seeing a profit. Sure, if the book was cancelled after 6-12 months, you could shout "go woke, go broke" all you want, but 79 months? Nah.

Anyway, anyone that says Kamala is a "Mary-Sue" hasn't read the books because she is constantly fucking up. All they've seen is some stupid Youtube hot take video with no context.

Doom85

Her digital sales have actually been stated to be among the strongest, even reaching #1 for a little while. If this game sells well, I look forward to the desperate spins to try to make it sound like it still "went woke, go broke".

Also, I love how people insist the people buying this game have already been familiar with Kamala which is total bullshit. Comic readers have never been a large audience, the sales numbers show this all the time. This is like claiming in 2014 that a large portion of the people going to see GOTG had ever heard of Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket, etc. before they saw that first trailer (like, the trailer even is all meta about it by opening with the "I'm Star-Lord." "Who?" bit). How many ignorant people still thought Aquaman had no value as a character until Jason Momoa had to show up like a badass out of hell to make them realize how foolish they were to still be hanging onto outdated jokes regarding a cartoon from the fucking 60's.

Face it, most movie viewers and video game players are "normies" (for lack of a better word) who don't read the comics outside of a few stray issues here or there. They may very well like Kamala as this is for many of them their first exposure to the character so stop acting like the majority of players already know whether they like her or not. I'm sure just as many presumptuous people claimed they just "knew" everyone didn't care for Miles Morales and then the Spider-verse movie came out and bitch-slapped those fools hard.

I'm certainly looking forward to playing a character with a different type of powerset from the usual heroes we get in video games as opposed to pretending I'm excited over the idea of yet another Arkham game (for fucks' sake, so many DC heroes and they're still going back to Batman? For fucks' sake).

EekTheKat

I'll back off on the Mary Sue thing - as looking back I think my use of that term isn't fair or correct in this case and pushing it a bit since we don't know how she'll play out in the actual shipped game. Self Insert is more along the lines of what I was thinking, and so far all the press and PR materials doesn't change how I feel about that.

I still say the story should play out with the pieces they already have on the board. There are only a finite number of characters that can take the spotlight without a few being marginalized, especially in a video game.

For the record I would say the same exact thing if they were to swap Kamala out with any other young up and coming future avenger that figures it all out and reunites everybody - that kind of story just doesn't resonate very well me, who would rather see superheroes work through and solve the problem themselves. Though I can see the appeal of such a story for the younger sect of the fandom.

D.Final

Banned
I'd love it if Spider-Man and Venom make it as playable characters into the game.

It would be nice :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
But I think for these characters, like Spiderman, they should ask Sony.
(since, in theory, Sony holds the IP rights of Spiderman, but the game of Marvel's Avengers is multy-platform)

It would be cool.
But it is likely that it would definitely be something "exclusive" for Playstation consoles.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
It would be nice :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
But I think for these characters, like Spiderman, they should ask Sony.
(since, in theory, Sony holds the IP rights of Spiderman, but the game of Marvel's Avengers is multy-platform)

It would be cool.
But it is likely that it would definitely be something "exclusive" for Playstation consoles.
Sony owns the rights for spider-man movies, not games.

The insomniac game is exclusive because sony funded it.

Which is why spiderman is in mvc infinite and ultimate alliance 3.

Top Bottom