• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Avengers adds Kamala Khan [Keyart, screenshots and new trailers from the NYCC]

D.Final

Banned
EFgMAWC.jpg

Kamala Khan will be playable in Marvel’s Avengers, Square Enix announced during the Marvel Games Panel at New York Comic-Con 2019.

Here is an overview of the character, via Square Enix:

Co-created by G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona, Sana Amanat, and Stephen Wacker, in the comics, Kamala is an enthusiastic teenager who defends her hometown Jersey City as the costumed Ms. Marvel. First appearing in Captain Marvel #14 in August 2013, Kamala quickly captured the imagination of generations of True Believers, leading to her own monthly comic series in February 2014.

bKo5Cyf.jpg

A self-avowed Avengers fan, in the game’s original story, Kamala Khan must apply her intellect, optimism, and unique abilities to the task of unraveling a global conspiracy and reassembling her personal heroes in time to stop a new secretive organization, Advanced Idea Mechanics (AIM), before they unleash one of the greatest threats Earth has ever faced.

EiHM2QN.jpg

Players first encounter a young Kamala during A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco—including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Kamala is exposed to the mysterious Terrigen Mist, and finds herself developing extraordinary polymorphic powers, which she subsequently hides for years. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, Kamala uncovers a shocking conspiracy and embarks on a quest to reassemble the heroes she believes in and to become the hero she was destined to be.

lRcNjsl.jpg

Players begin the journey as Kamala Khan and learn the origins of her extraordinary powers. As the story expands, Kamala plays an essential role in bringing the disbanded Avengers back together. As each Super Hero is added to the roster, players must master all of their unique abilities, rebuild and customize the Avengers team to face increasingly growing threats only the Avengers together can defeat.

KBO2fcJ.jpg

“An optimistic fan girl of the Avengers, Kamala Khan is the perfect character for the story we’re telling in Marvel’s Avengers,” said Shaun Escayg, Creative Director and Writer at Crystal Dynamics. “Telling our story of Kamala’s coming-of-age brings a fresh, hopeful perspective to the gameplay experience and her unique abilities as Ms. Marvel make her a character every person can relate to and will want to play. Kamala Khan is one of the unique characters that makes our game stand apart from any Avengers story experienced before.”

“Kamala is an inspired and perfectly fitting choice to join the ranks of, and reassemble, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” said Bill Rosemann, VP of Creative at Marvel Games. “Perhaps more than any other character invented over the past decade, Ms. Marvel has not only charmed the hearts of longtime True Believers, but her unique mix of classic Marvel heroic elements and modern cultural relevancy has resulted in a headline-generating cultural icon.”

“It is a thrill to see Kamala in the Marvel’s Avengers game,” said Sana Amanat, VP of Content and Character Development at Marvel. “Crystal Dynamics has done a marvelous job of crafting a brand-new take on Kamala, while staying true to the spirit of her inspiring character, charismatic persona, and relatable purpose. Fans of the character are in for quite a ride, along with a few surprises, when Marvel’s Avengers makes its debut next year.”

“I think Kamala is a perfect fit for a game like this, since she sees the Marvel world the same way we do as fans and players,” said G. Willow Wilson, co-creator of Ms. Marvel. “Kamala allows us to imagine what we ourselves would do if we suddenly discovered we had superpowers and got to stand alongside our heroes in their time of greatest need.”

Update:

Stark Tech Outfit - concept art

NeI4Gxz.png

Marvel’s Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Edition

qC65tW1.jpg

And new Artwork

9lL2De9.jpg

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Good thing Kamala Khan is a girl, if it was a male character ... you know that over grown fist have an obvious explanation...................

lol may be that's why it was changed to F E M A L E at design level... hmmmmmm

GreyHorace

For some reason she's never clicked in the comics but Marvel always launches a new series featuring her. I've no opinion on Kamala since I stopped reading Marvel comics years ago, but it really does strike me of how woke they want to present themselves by pushing such a prominent minority character into the spotlight.

Perhaps they're hoping her role in this game will get her exposure with a mainstream audience and hoping a movie in the MCU is next. We'll see though.

Elcid

Banned
Very hyped after watching this trailer. Ms. Marvel is a meh character originally but this rendition of her actually looks good!

Naru

Trailer looks super cool. My hype level just went up by a mile.

So are her clothes and Jewelry elastic also?
Well in the comics her friend made a special material that does stretch with her.

Last edited:
Trailer looks super cool. My hype level just went up by a mile.

Well in the comics her friend made a special material that does stretch with her.
Classic Marvel "invent something to facilitate superpowers that you could just sell and make millions from, improving the world far more than punching goons in the face ever could". Spiderman would be proud.

I've no experience with and thus no opinion on the character though. She's obviously designed by committee according to identitarian beliefs, which isn't a good start, and it's a bad sign that this game is clearly getting hamstrung by Disney to advertise the new TV series, but I'll reserve judgement until I see more.

She's an original character and not a preexisting character turned female, I'm ok with that. As long as they don't kill off or replace Mr. Fantastic with this girl and start calling her Ms. Fantastic, we're good.

McCheese

Looks pretty good, not familiar with her character really but seems likable enough from the trailers. Loving the little hulk bobble-head in banners van.

Not a fan of how doctored those "screenshots" are though, per pixel motion blur my arse. Why do companies do this when folks will be screaming downgrade later on?

Last edited:

Darkcloud69

Neo Member
I am looking forward to play as her as well, and even more to see just how many and which characters will be playable overall

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I love the character but why she gotta look "ugly" in this? She can be very pretty in the comics.
ah well

There hasn't been a 'realistic' representation of Khan before, that I can recall, so I'm not sure I'd say there was any harm. That and I'm pretty sure the game designers' goal isn't to sexualize a teenage girl.

sol_bad

There hasn't been a 'realistic' representation of Khan before, that I can recall, so I'm not sure I'd say there was any harm. That and I'm pretty sure the game designers' goal isn't to sexualize a teenage girl.

Nah, I don't mean to sexualise her, just make her facial features softer. I'm positive that the woman who modeled for Kamala is more attractive in real life.
It doesn't matter too much, I'm still excited to play as her.

"Agenda" already at work. Like, her comics are notorious for not being that good, and her power is lame. This is obviously a marketing push for getting them into the MCU and making them more visible (they already have at least one project announced there IIRC).

And I kinda said "agenda" for a reason; Marvel Comics is notorious for its idpol and feminist push, Sana being one of the key people on that front. They have podcasts that hit on all those talking points. Why they would throw Kamala ahead of other Avenger chars who have already earned their spot in the MCU like Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Dr. Strange etc. (all of whom having put in legwork with the MCU films, have new films/shows coming, and are more well-liked by fans), or even Shang-Chi (who at least has been referenced in the Iron Man movies), and it should become more clear.

**I get the other way to see it could be "but those chars need the exposure less!", and that's kinda true. But you'd think there would be a coordinated effort between the game and the films to try pushing as many of the chars with upcoming movies and shows as possible, and at least reveal one of the previously mentioned before Khan, since they're the more popular between them and her.

It really feels like they tacked her on to be able to check some diversity boxes.

There'd be no issue with that if her character already had some legwork put in with the MCU. And I don't want to be the sort of idiot who sees an ethnic person or woman in a piece of fictional work and suddenly scream "SJW AGENDA!" like a retard.

But in this case, Sana has a personal interest in getting Khan out there since that's the newer Marvel char she identifies with most. And like I said above, her comics aren't particularly good and her power (at least IMO) is lame. They could've kicked off a new char announcement with, say, Scarlet Witch or Black Panther, both of whom already have good standing in the MCU and have new projects coming, and that would've still also filled a "diversity quota" if that was another goal (but not the main one).

They might get announced later, but it's pretty weird seeing Khan be the first new char announced.

Last edited:
EFgMAWC.jpg

Kamala Khan will be playable in Marvel’s Avengers, Square Enix announced during the Marvel Games Panel at New York Comic-Con 2019.

Here is an overview of the character, via Square Enix:

Co-created by G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona, Sana Amanat, and Stephen Wacker, in the comics, Kamala is an enthusiastic teenager who defends her hometown Jersey City as the costumed Ms. Marvel. First appearing in Captain Marvel #14 in August 2013, Kamala quickly captured the imagination of generations of True Believers, leading to her own monthly comic series in February 2014.

bKo5Cyf.jpg

A self-avowed Avengers fan, in the game’s original story, Kamala Khan must apply her intellect, optimism, and unique abilities to the task of unraveling a global conspiracy and reassembling her personal heroes in time to stop a new secretive organization, Advanced Idea Mechanics (AIM), before they unleash one of the greatest threats Earth has ever faced.

EiHM2QN.jpg

Players first encounter a young Kamala during A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco—including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Kamala is exposed to the mysterious Terrigen Mist, and finds herself developing extraordinary polymorphic powers, which she subsequently hides for years. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, Kamala uncovers a shocking conspiracy and embarks on a quest to reassemble the heroes she believes in and to become the hero she was destined to be.

lRcNjsl.jpg

Players begin the journey as Kamala Khan and learn the origins of her extraordinary powers. As the story expands, Kamala plays an essential role in bringing the disbanded Avengers back together. As each Super Hero is added to the roster, players must master all of their unique abilities, rebuild and customize the Avengers team to face increasingly growing threats only the Avengers together can defeat.

KBO2fcJ.jpg

“An optimistic fan girl of the Avengers, Kamala Khan is the perfect character for the story we’re telling in Marvel’s Avengers,” said Shaun Escayg, Creative Director and Writer at Crystal Dynamics. “Telling our story of Kamala’s coming-of-age brings a fresh, hopeful perspective to the gameplay experience and her unique abilities as Ms. Marvel make her a character every person can relate to and will want to play. Kamala Khan is one of the unique characters that makes our game stand apart from any Avengers story experienced before.”

“Kamala is an inspired and perfectly fitting choice to join the ranks of, and reassemble, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” said Bill Rosemann, VP of Creative at Marvel Games. “Perhaps more than any other character invented over the past decade, Ms. Marvel has not only charmed the hearts of longtime True Believers, but her unique mix of classic Marvel heroic elements and modern cultural relevancy has resulted in a headline-generating cultural icon.”

“It is a thrill to see Kamala in the Marvel’s Avengers game,” said Sana Amanat, VP of Content and Character Development at Marvel. “Crystal Dynamics has done a marvelous job of crafting a brand-new take on Kamala, while staying true to the spirit of her inspiring character, charismatic persona, and relatable purpose. Fans of the character are in for quite a ride, along with a few surprises, when Marvel’s Avengers makes its debut next year.”

“I think Kamala is a perfect fit for a game like this, since she sees the Marvel world the same way we do as fans and players,” said G. Willow Wilson, co-creator of Ms. Marvel. “Kamala allows us to imagine what we ourselves would do if we suddenly discovered we had superpowers and got to stand alongside our heroes in their time of greatest need.”

And yet another " we support girl power" crap

I was pretty hyped before, even if the game didn't look so good I was confident, but now...

Every time I see this game, all I feel is "meh." I get Marvel is trying to expand their audience, and add more heroes into the mix, but I've never been a fan of Kamala Khan. This game really feels like it's being designed by committee and the marketing department is taking the lead.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Her comics are trash that use either pop culture references or out of date internet terminology for dialogue. She's a character with a lot of potential in the right hands though and she looked great in the trailer.

D.Final

Banned
Stark Tech Outfit - concept art

NeI4Gxz.png

Marvel’s Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Edition

qC65tW1.jpg

And new Artwork

9lL2De9.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So are her clothes and Jewelry elastic also?

Shes a full MetaMorph.
She could in theory just morph her jewelry and clothing using her abilities.

Hell if she wanted she could morph herself to look like someone else entirely including all their clothing and all.

Shes closer yet more powerful than full power Mystique than she is similar to Mr Fantastic or Mrs Incredible.

ExpandKong

Banned
Shes a full MetaMorph.
She could in theory just morph her jewelry and clothing using her abilities.

Hell if she wanted she could morph herself to look like someone else entirely including all their clothing and all.

Shes closer yet more powerful than full power Mystique than she is similar to Mr Fantastic or Mrs Incredible.

So she could theoretically morph herself into an Avenger people actually give a shit about then?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So she could theoretically morph herself into an Avenger people actually give a shit about then?

Like Ms Marvel?
Shes a very high selling character.
They literally got the all stars to feature in this game, cept Black Widow shes just in because of the movies likely.
Ironman, C.America, Thor and Hulk are the highest selling/most popular Avengers.......Ms Marvel follows right after them.
So which Avenger would you want to put in her place? Because, whoever it is....they dont sell as well as she does.

I mean Ms.Marvel comics sure are flying off of the shelves. So let's put her in a game. If she was super popular then I'd understand. But most people don't even know who the fuck it is.

Funny that you think her books...arent selling well.
Beyond the guys already included she is literally the next most popular Avenger.
You want them to choose someone who cant even handle their own book or something?
And Mutants probably werent ready to be in an Avengers game.

Captain Marvel sold more for one book....but I think overall Kamala is actually more popular right now.

Spiderman is a Sony property, he would be PS4 exclusive but its probably easier just to NOT include him at all.

Virex

Banned
Like Ms Marvel?
Shes a very high selling character.
They literally got the all stars to feature in this game, cept Black Widow shes just in because of the movies likely.
Ironman, C.America, Thor and Hulk are the highest selling/most popular Avengers.......Ms Marvel follows right after them.
So which Avenger would you want to put in her place? Because, whoever it is....they dont sell as well as she does.

Funny that you think her books...arent selling well.
Beyond the guys already included she is literally the next most popular Avenger.
You want them to choose someone who cant even handle their own book or something?
And Mutants probably werent ready to be in an Avengers game.

Captain Marvel sold more for one book....but I think overall Kamala is actually more popular right now.

Spiderman is a Sony property, he would be PS4 exclusive but its probably easier just to NOT include him at all.
English please

Darkcloud69

Neo Member
I for one love the leaked artwork, I just hoped they keep their word and don't pull an EA where you have to grind inreasonable amounts of time to unlock alternate suits

Top Bottom