• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s “Eternals” Reviews Are In; if you like Thor : The Dark World then you’ll love this!

ManaByte

even if they are recast I would think they would be part of a separate universe. kind of weird to have theme hang around without a presence during everything. Richards is supposed to be smarter than Stark/Pym/Banner.

Nope they (and Doom) are part of the regular MCU, all set post-Endgame. Lucia von Bardas (Doom's prime minister) is in Black Panther 2.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
That movie was so overrated

Laieon

I didn't hate this and I think some of the cinematography in it is some of the best in the MCU yet (some of the shots near the end are absolutely gorgeous), but as someone who isn't into the comics it felt like they introduced us to too many characters too quickly, the explanation for why they interfered with Thanos was kind of dumb, and overall it felt both too long and too short. It was too long for an MCU movie, but I would have liked a "Snyderverse"-esque version of it that was longer and more of a mini series/Disney+ series than a movie. It's definitely not my least favorite MCU film, but it'll be one I skip in the future unless The Eternals end up playing a bigger role.

Last edited:
Bay's Transformer movies stopped being good after the first one. The 4th was a reboot and they all had the Gen 1 designs.

That said, most of the MCU movies don't fall into Bay territory. Each story is different even though the formula is the same. Doc Strange isn't the same as The First Avenger which isn't the same as Shang-Chi which isn't the same as Captain Marvel.

And you think having more diversity in front of and behind the camera is "woke"?

When that term was first coined, it meant something WAY different than what folks have morphed it into.
I’m not saying they’re exactly the same as a transformer movie - it’s just the same feeling as watching one. It’s silly and boring and normally something that you would put on in the background while doing something else. I watched Far From Home the other day and I cannot understand how people can find it interesting.

trikster40

This is part of the original comic. Yes, they were used as deliberate templates.

Wait until Marvel introduce the Squadron Supreme.
This is part of the original comic. Yes, they were used as deliberate templates.

Wait until Marvel introduce the Squadron Supreme.
the Et
Holy crap. I googled Squadron Supreme and you weren’t kidding. Thanks for that, cool info!

Watched this with the kids. I did not like it. The whole thing just feels like out of the blue here's the most powerful beings, well the next level, and here's the hierarchy now identify with one of them and let us get moving along. There's no ironman or cap development through a series of movies to then become the avengers movies. It's like they dropped end game at the start of the run. It feels off, most of the comedy didn't work and the charisma from each of the actors wasn't up to RDJ or Evans or Johansson etc. The action felt much the "same" in each segment and the deviants felt like fillers. It just felt like space magic in place of a grounding in reality like the first series of Marvel character focused movies. There isn't a build up to the space magic, it's just straight up dropped on you for characters, story, abilities etc and all at once in one movie. The production quality is very high indeed but what a boring uninspired movie with really very little to tell or entertain.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Watched it didn't like it

A few things I'm trying to understand. The deaf character she was doing sign language in the cave man era. I understand sign language existed back then but did they use the same sign language. For example the deaf character used a wrist gestrue to say time. I assume that's modern sign language, so the wrist gesture is referring to a wrist watch. Did wrist watches exist in the cave man era, or is this just the movie producers and directors going full woke and forgot about this, or is this some time traven multiverse stuff I missed?

I also don't understand Eternals not getting involved with Thanos, wouldn't that be as threat to the Celestials. Another thing about Celestials is it only the one Celestial that created Eternals and Deviants as I remember Guardians of Galaxy 2 villain was a Celestial and there was no mention of Deviants and Eternals in that movie.

sol_bad

Watched it didn't like it

A few things I'm trying to understand. The deaf character she was doing sign language in the cave man era. I understand sign language existed back then but did they use the same sign language. For example the deaf character used a wrist gestrue to say time. I assume that's modern sign language, so the wrist gesture is referring to a wrist watch. Did wrist watches exist in the cave man era, or is this just the movie producers and directors going full woke and forgot about this, or is this some time traven multiverse stuff I missed?

I also don't understand Eternals not getting involved with Thanos, wouldn't that be as threat to the Celestials. Another thing about Celestials is it only the one Celestial that created Eternals and Deviants as I remember Guardians of Galaxy 2 villain was a Celestial and there was no mention of Deviants and Eternals in that movie.

Was there English speech during the cave man era.......?

Thanos isn't a threat to the Celestials. They have been around since the beginning of time. Setting Celstial hatching back by 50-100 years is a drop in the ocean to them.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned

Thanos isn't a threat to the Celestials. They have been around since the beginning of time. Setting Celstial hatching back by 50-100 years is a drop in the ocean to them.

English speak is something we are used to in American cinema. For example in Black Panther they all speak English to eachother in Wakanda doesn't make sense but it's because the movie is made in America and alot of the audience is English speaking and I assume they dub in other foreign countries. The sign language thing doesn't make sense because they could have easily still used sign language, in fact sign language makes more sense in the cave man era. But signing a wrist watch in the cave man era is just going a bit too far.

Speaking about threats the Deviants seem like basic enemies you would see in a hack and slash game. Even Antman had more powerful villains.

G-Bus

Banned
Watched an hour of it last night and turned it off.

Doesn't feel like any of the other MCU movies, at all. Bit jarring.

The sex scene was weird as fuck. Why is it even in here?

Don't like any of the cast so far.

Ill probably watch the rest tonight because I want to see more Celestials.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Half of the celestials didn't get snapped like the rest of us?

If anything, it would be a machine race that just ignores Thanos if they atent considered "life".

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
English speak is something we are used to in American cinema. For example in Black Panther they all speak English to eachother in Wakanda doesn't make sense but it's because the movie is made in America and alot of the audience is English speaking and I assume they dub in other foreign countries. The sign language thing doesn't make sense because they could have easily still used sign language, in fact sign language makes more sense in the cave man era. But signing a wrist watch in the cave man era is just going a bit too far.

Speaking about threats the Deviants seem like basic enemies you would see in a hack and slash game. Even Antman had more powerful villains.

Ego was different from Arishem and the others. He's a planet and not a planet tall being in armor.

And none of the hearing humans in the ancient times they were in knew sign language. The Eternals were from space with super advanced tech. I remember wristwatches in Guardians so that makes sense for Makkari to sign "time" ... I think they're saying that modern sign came from her ... Even though she basically stayed on The Domo. The humans didn't sign. And they had to have one of the Eternals translate for her... None of them signed. Just the Eternals.

FairyD

I liked it and didn't like it as the same time. Someone mentioned earlier that it should have gotten the Synder touch. I disagree, I think the best parts of the movie was the story told throughout a vast timeframe. It should have gotten the Tarem Singh treatment like Immortals (2011). The visuals were great for an MCU movie but it could have been better.

NahaNago

Eternals and celestials are linked during the emergence so that the eternals are strong enough to survive the destruction of the planet and be repurposed for new ones. This was the first time they had rogue eternals trying to take out the celestial being born.
This seems a bit odd considering that most of the eternals were not even aware what the purpose of protecting the world's civilization was. Plus they have a spaceship. Couldn't they have just flown the ship to the outer edges of this solar system and watched the celestial be born.
I don't think we should overthink stuff, but (SPOILER WARNING) the Eternals purpose isn't only to protect the world, but to make its civilization grow, and the current status of the planet/human population is supposed to be the state of maturity at which the Celestial can pop out. So there's no contradiction in having a group of different looking Eternals that will work on the earth population and end up with a situation that mirrors their own appearance. Either it evolved naturally that way but it was planned as "that's how you breed Celestials", or it may even be a consequence of the Eternal contribution (it's not the Eternal who looks like the people it's watching, it's the people who look like their Eternal).
Well now you are having me overthink this stuff. I thought their purpose was to simply protect the natives from those monsters and that was why they couldn't interfere when humans were going to war with each other in the movie. The problem with them mirroring the earth's population is that they all looked mostly different from each other so it would made interacting with other races more awkward. It would have made much more sense for them to be mostly one race or the race they initially interacted with when they came to earth. They already looked odd since they were probably mostly giants compared to the first humans they interacted with.

I originally thought that eternals were mean to look like the natives but then you have that eternal show up on the ship who looks like an earthling. So what is the deal. We know they originally didn't look anything like that when they are first made so I would have figured that they could have been made to look like the natives of that population but then we see earths and another world's eternal and they look similar. Do all planets that seed an eternal only grow humans?

Last edited:

Everyone knows God is an Englishman, so yes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This seems a bit odd considering that most of the eternals were not even aware what the purpose of protecting the world's civilization was. Plus they have a spaceship. Couldn't they have just flown the ship to the outer edges of this solar system and watched the celestial be born.

Well now you are having me overthink this stuff. I thought their purpose was to simply protect the natives from those monsters and that was why they couldn't interfere when humans were going to war with each other in the movie. The problem with them mirroring the earth's population is that they all looked mostly different from each other so it would made interacting with other races more awkward. It would have made much more sense for them to be mostly one race or the race they initially interacted with when they came to earth. They already looked odd since they were probably mostly giants compared to the first humans they interacted with.

I originally thought that eternals were mean to look like the natives but then you have that eternal show up on the ship who looks like an earthling. So what is the deal. We know they originally didn't look anything like that when they are first made so I would have figured that they could have been made to look like the natives of that population but then we see earths and another world's eternal and they look similar. Do all planets that seed an eternal only grow humans?

On each planet hatching, they were reset and rebuilt to look like the natives. Most aliens so far have looked humanoid... So it makes sense for Starfox and other Eternals to look human or humanoid.

It also makes sense to make them "multiracial" since they are protectors of the whole planet. Not just the first people they met since they didn't know which part of the planet they would touch down upon first. They were sent to kill Deviants and THOSE guys were all over the world, hence why the Eternals were globe trotting and not just staying in Babylon. Phastos and Makkari may have been the inspiration for African/Egyptian gods... Kingo may have been the inspiration for The Monkey King... And so on and so forth ...

NahaNago

On each planet hatching, they were reset and rebuilt to look like the natives. Most aliens so far have looked humanoid... So it makes sense for Starfox and other Eternals to look human or humanoid.

It also makes sense to make them "multiracial" since they are protectors of the whole planet. Not just the first people they met since they didn't know which part of the planet they would touch down upon first. They were sent to kill Deviants and THOSE guys were all over the world, hence why the Eternals were globe trotting and not just staying in Babylon. Phastos and Makkari may have been the inspiration for African/Egyptian gods... Kingo may have been the inspiration for The Monkey King... And so on and so forth ...
The problem is that it doesn't matter in the end if they were multiracial since they only ever had one person of each race. It would look weird if a white , pakistani, and black person in the 900s would all of a sudden show up in a group in let's say Korea area even if they had one Korean looking person in the group. Them being multiracial group really didn't matter if they were for the most part always together fighting. I could understand if they all were powerful fighter types that could take on the deviants by themselves so they could separate and protect the world but they for the most part had unique abilities that they used together.

Also the color of your skin is only one thing that ties you in some communities. The way you dress, talk, and carry yourself would determine if you are other. Considering how many small tribes that were fighting and killing each other all over history just because you have the same skin color wouldn't mean much.

Last edited:

Alx

Well now you are having me overthink this stuff. I thought their purpose was to simply protect the natives from those monsters and that was why they couldn't interfere when humans were going to war with each other in the movie.
I think there's also a lot of tutoring to their job, like when we see Gilgamesh designing a steam engine to help their development and someone else said "wait they're not ready yet, start with the plow". They're not supposed to take sides in their conflicts, but they definitely have an active contribution to their development. Which makes sense when you consider that their true goal is to have a human civilization complex enough to trigger the Celestial birth (which may be a hidden reason why they can't interfere with wars : those are a "good" way of developing civilizations).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It was boring in tone. Unfocused and dull. Did not like wanted to give it a chance worse than dark world.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The problem is that it doesn't matter in the end if they were multiracial since they only ever had one person of each race. It would look weird if a white , pakistani, and black person in the 900s would all of a sudden show up in a group in let's say Korea area even if they had one Korean looking person in the group. Them being multiracial group really didn't matter if they were for the most part always together fighting. I could understand if they all were powerful fighter types that could take on the deviants by themselves so they could separate and protect the world but they for the most part had unique abilities that they used together.

Also the color of your skin is only one thing that ties you in some communities. The way you dress, talk, and carry yourself would determine if you are other. Considering how many small tribes that were fighting and killing each other all over history just because you have the same skin color wouldn't mean much.

Exactly... In the end, their skin color doesn't matter... In-story, it makes sense if one Eternal looks like the population they're protecting, they can be used to introduce the group so the natives aren't too distrustful.

Out of story, it still doesn't matter ... Although having an all-white cast wouldn't fly for such a large ensemble for a big budget tentpole film.

Watched Boba Fett episode 3 and Eternals back-to-back.

Holy crap the SFX is bad in Eternals. How the hell does Boba Fett look better than Eternals, a AAA big budget movie?

That said, Eternals was mediocre but not as terrible as some made it out to be. I ashkually liked it more than Shang-Chi and it's not the worst MCU movie.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm into UFOs and the whole ancient astronaut stuff and this might be the first movie about that which shows how ancient aliens might have influenced humanity. It wasn't bad as a Von Daniken or Zechariah Sitchin film. I wonder if Girogio Tsoukalos saw this?

If I were to put on my tinfoil hat, I'd argue that while the movie may be "woke" it could arguably be pushing for the ancient aliens theory that's kind of the rage. It's been said that Hollywood does this to make people more aware of it and mainstream.

Anyways, I actually didn't think the movie was that boring. It was kind of dull and slow but not in a bad way. I'd definitely put this above Captain Marvel, Shang-Chi and Iron Man 2 and 3.

But man, again, those SFX. Don't even get me started on Pip the Troll.

Edit: man I'm sick of the stupid MCU banter stuff like when two friends are arguing and a third person intervenes. It's so fucking cringey.

I think a movie like Eternals but with a more serious tone could be awesome. I'd love to see another ancient aliens type movie like this.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Exactly... In the end, their skin color doesn't matter... In-story, it makes sense if one Eternal looks like the population they're protecting, they can be used to introduce the group so the natives aren't too distrustful.

Out of story, it still doesn't matter ... Although having an all-white cast wouldn't fly for such a large ensemble for a big budget tentpole film.
This is pretty much the reason the only reason for the diverse cast in this movie.

Natives would only be slightly less wary of them because of skin color but then you have the rest of the crew appear with every color of the sun and then the natives start running away again or have weapons at the ready to face the eternals.

The diversity issue could have been better handled if they were all more like a weaker version of superman but each having unique strengths. This way they could separate and protect the earth while fitting in to some extent with the civilization. They were pretty much soldiers sent to protect the emerging human populations but they acted more like a group of scholars who can't figure out what was the best path to proceed with.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah it was pretty dull

I liked the world building though and the CG of the ending looked good. Kit Harrington's character was the only one I wanted to know more about, probably cause they didn't give him enough time to get boring

The actual Eternals didnt have any personalities except the strong Asian guy and they killed him off quickly. Its a shame cause I liked all the historical stuff and the cosmic stuff they were trying to do

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

The Eternals would have been obliterated if they had interfered with Thanos.

All of them (even Ikaris) felt so tame and underpowered. And they all felt sooo ‘human’ despite being synthetic beings created by some god thing. I like how the androids are portrayed in ‘Raised by Wolves’ and how they slowly become more humanlike over the years.

And once again, where the heck are the Avengers in all this, as a god is being born and dredged up from the ocean?

The movie was far more interesting when it was in the past … Age of Empires with cheat codes come to life.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Watched it and the story was blah.
-Druig would have interfered with Thanos even if the rest stood back, no question.
-The deviants were weak, and no explanation was provided as to why one had the ability to take their powers.
-Thena kept turning evil until the writers got bored of it, and there was no reason for her to sit out of the forest fight.
-The indian actor guy pulling out at the end went entirely against his character, and his alfred not caring about his decision was just dumb. (forget their names)
-Did anything happen with the tree power?
-Sprite switching sides because of a crush seemed like a very undeveloped storyline.

It could have used a lot more thought put into the script.

Oh, and a deaf girl playing a speedster is a disastrous setup for a superhero.
7555683-robin.gif

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh, and a deaf girl playing a speedster is a disastrous setup for a superhero.
7555683-robin.gif
I'm not sure how well a speedster could actually hear. They would get a roar of wind and everything would go nuts from the doppler effect. If they run faster than the speed of sound would they be able to hear anything of value?

But still, is there an in universe reason why they made a broken eternal? Would the celestials have made one that was blind, lacking limbs, or susceptible to cancer? Not seen the film.

Moneal

Watched it and the story was blah.
-Druig would have interfered with Thanos even if the rest stood back, no question.
Maybe not, he retreated from the world due to all the fighting, and it's doubtful he could control thanos or the others. Without that he wouldn't have been much use in the fight.
-The deviants were weak, and no explanation was provided as to why one had the ability to take their powers.
They are able to evolve at an exceptional rate. I think they all could have had that ability, it was just that one that got ajak first and then became the leader of the rest.
-Thena kept turning evil until the writers got bored of it, and there was no reason for her to sit out of the forest fight.
She wasn't turning evil. She was remembering the end of previous worlds and trying to prevent it from happening again. She was only attacking the eternals while in that state because they were still on mission. Once the eternals we're fighting to prevent it she didnt need to go back into the state.
-The indian actor guy pulling out at the end went entirely against his character, and his alfred not caring about his decision was just dumb. (forget their names)
He was afraid of Ikaris.
-Did anything happen with the tree power?
It's what she used to turn the celestial to stone. It's really just her normal power amped up. Until she got the orb she could only use it on inanimate objects.
-Sprite switching sides because of a crush seemed like a very undeveloped storyline.
Totally agree.

Trogdor1123

Watched an hour of it last night and turned it off.

Doesn't feel like any of the other MCU movies, at all. Bit jarring.

The sex scene was weird as fuck. Why is it even in here?

Don't like any of the cast so far.

Ill probably watch the rest tonight because I want to see more Celestials.
There is a sex scene? Really?

Last edited:

TonyK

Just I saw the movie. Thor, Black Widow... there is a new contender for worst MCU movie and it's Eternals.

Pilgrimzero

Didn’t care to see it when it was in theaters and now that it’s free, I still don’t care.

I’m sure I’ll watch it eventually though

watched it the other day and so glad I didn't catch it when it was in theater. the writing is simply lacking and it feels there's so many holes in the story. the performance from the actors are fine I feel and it's mostly the story and the direction that I have issue with. it just lacks heart and soul and screams it's the work of their B team (I'm talking out of my ass here of course).

bitbydeath

Maybe not, he retreated from the world due to all the fighting, and it's doubtful he could control thanos or the others. Without that he wouldn't have been much use in the fight.
He retreated from taking over all of civilization but he still continued his rebellion, keeping his own village going.
Ignoring Thanos would go against his character, whether he thought he could control him or not.

They are able to evolve at an exceptional rate. I think they all could have had that ability, it was just that one that got ajak first and then became the leader of the rest.
Seems a bit contrived is all I'm saying.

She wasn't turning evil. She was remembering the end of previous worlds and trying to prevent it from happening again. She was only attacking the eternals while in that state because they were still on mission. Once the eternals we're fighting to prevent it she didnt need to go back into the state.
I know, I was keeping it simple. It took for her man to die for her to stop turning on them was the essential plot line. Years of being told to remember who she was wasn't enough, the catalyst was Gilgamesh's death

He was afraid of Ikaris.
Not very heroic of him, you'd think an Eternal would be stronger.

It's what she used to turn the celestial to stone. It's really just her normal power amped up. Until she got the orb she could only use it on inanimate objects.
Yeah, that just looked exactly like her normal power, not even amped.
She just turned it to rock, the whole tree thing was unnecessary.

G-Bus

Banned
There is a sex scene? Really?

Yea. It's quick and you don't really see anything.

Finished this last night. Horrible movie. I'm amazed this got released considering what a lot of people have come to expect from the MCU.

The cinematography was really good.

Btw , dumb doubt.

Thanos was an eternal, captain marvel is stronger than thanos as we saw.
Later Wanda is also superior than thanos…

That means Wanda or captain marvel can kick eternal ass with no issues ?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm watching Oldboy 2013 right now and seeing Thanos absolutely PLOW Wanda after fucking up Nick Fury is really messing with my head!

Fbh

It was ok. Not as bad as some were saying but definitely somewhere on the bottom half of Marvel movies.

Just really slow, boring villain, mostly dull characters without a lot of chemistry with each other and I don't know if my app has an issue or the HDR is busted but it looked really washed out.

On the plus side it introduces some cool elements like the celestials and it Idid have some nice looking shots. Also bonus points for not devolving into a fight against a horde of disposable enemies. The final fight is the type of thing I hope to see more in the MCU.

They all seemed kinda weak? Their strongest member is like bargain bin superman.

At least with what they showed here you'd expect Wanda, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel or pre nerf Thor to kick their asses.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Btw , dumb doubt.

Yep. Wanda, as the Scarlet Witch, is more powerful than the Sorcerer Supreme... And both Carol and Monica could one piece a non-Infinity Stone Thanos

RaduN

Watched about 25 minutes of this last night.
Complete shit.

Maybe starting from minute 26 it becomes a great movie...my loss i guess.

It should have gotten the Tarem Singh treatment like Immortals (2011). The visuals were great for an MCU movie but it could have been better.
I was thinking of Tarsem during the Australia and ship scenes. Sometimes it just needed a bit of reframing to get there.
...they really should hire Tarsem for one of the more fantastical movies.
Anyway this is my favourite MCU entry.

Amiga

On a side note, the reason Eternals is difficult to fit in the Marvel universe is that they were never supposed to. A dark side of the comics industry is that DC/Marvel made nearly impossible for creators to do independent work. from difficulty publishing to legal battles.

Kirby was always trying to make his "space gods" theme an independent work. both with the 4th world and Eternals. DC also put an end for then popular character the original Captain Marvel(Shezam) who was becoming more popular than Superman. it was very rare for a creator to survive before the great rebellion that started Image Comics.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Btw , dumb doubt.

Yeah I think angry Wanda would wipe the entire Eternals team with ease.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah I think angry Wanda would wipe the entire Eternals team with ease.
You are forgetting the immutable law of comics (and their film spin offs).

You are only as powerful as the script says you are.

If they want the Eternals to decimate 15 full power celestials with ease, they will. If they want all the Eternals to struggle to defeat Dr. Doom's left pinky finger, there it is.

Top Bottom