• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s “Eternals” Reviews Are In; if you like Thor : The Dark World then you’ll love this!

sol_bad

A reminder that after the 2nd weekend, this was how the BO looked for the MCU movies this year:

$282.4 - The Eternals
$264 - Black Widow
$257.6 - Shang Chi

Eternals is grossing faster than both other movies. It will probably surpass $350M by sunday worldwide. It's predicted to do around 12/13M in america, so it's almost sure to do over $37M internationally betweeh thursday and sunday, and i'm being too pessimistic here.
With thanksgiving next week and how stable it's doing internationally, i wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses $400M WW by the end of the weekend after.

Anyway, it's surpassing Black Widow and Dune somewhere during next week, to be right behind Shang Chi worldwide.

Shows how rotten tomatoes does nothing worldwide.

OK, maybe I spoke too soon in one of my last posts. It seems to be doing quite well as a whole.

domestic only 123M so far?!?...ouch!

get woke go broke marvel!!

What is woke about the movie?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
OK, maybe I spoke too soon in one of my last posts. It seems to be doing quite well as a whole.

What is woke about the movie?
It's not a majority white movie, that's why it's "woke" ... Because there was nothing in the script pointing out that Makkari looks biracial, that Kingo looks Indian/Pakistani, that Phastos looks black, is fat and is in a homosexual marriage, that Cersei looks Chinese and and Gilgamesh looks Korean, that Ajak looks like a Latina...

Nothing in the movie SAYS anything about their looks, "race" or anything else that would be considered "woke".

The only reason he's saying it is because the cast is majority non-white. He hasn't seen the movie so he's speaking from ignorance.

Same way I'm just as confused as you when folks say that the diversity is hurting the movie. When NOTHING in the script points to what they look like. Except maybe Kingo. But that's more cultural than race... Even though Kingo and the Eternals are artificial (not androids) beings. They don't have "race" except they aren't human.

It's not a majority white movie, that's why it's "woke" ... Because there was nothing in the script pointing out that Makkari looks biracial, that Kingo looks Indian/Pakistani, that Phastos looks black, is fat and is in a homosexual marriage, that Cersei looks Chinese and and Gilgamesh looks Korean, that Ajak looks like a Latina...

Nothing in the movie SAYS anything about their looks, "race" or anything else that would be considered "woke".

The only reason he's saying it is because the cast is majority non-white. He hasn't seen the movie so he's speaking from ignorance.

Same way I'm just as confused as you when folks say that the diversity is hurting the movie. When NOTHING in the script points to what they look like. Except maybe Kingo. But that's more cultural than race... Even though Kingo and the Eternals are artificial (not androids) beings. They don't have "race" except they aren't human.
Eternals don’t have race and yet they all chose to look like a different race 😂

sol_bad

It is sad.
Majority of roles in the majority of films can be cast by any chosen ethnicity. John McLane in Die Hard 1 could have been any ethnicity. Dutch in Predator 1 could have been any ethnicity. McFly in Back to the Future could have been any ethnicity. There is nothing that makes them have to be white. Nothing about the Eternals makes them have to be white, if all the characters were all white straight males, nothing would change regarding the story, even Kingo as a white male could just be a star in a Hollywood dance musical.
These naysayers need to realise that Hollywood has realised they can market to the world, not just white America / UK / Australia. I'll never understand how marketing to the world can be described as woke just because of skin colours or sexual orientation. Sure, Eternals has a same sex on screen kiss, but it also has a sex scene between a hetero couple. Do these naysayers live in a white neighborhood bubble or something?

The west always pushes for progression, if it didn't, women, black and gay people wouldn't have the rights they have today.

They need to blend in with the planets inhabitants.......

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Is the new Harry Styles marketing paying off for Disney? Personally, I think it's a bit of a desperate move to promote Harry Styles in a character poster when he gets around 30 seconds of screen time.

it isn’t a very good movie. The film is pretty much a series of “how convenients” from begin to end. Still, I feel it is a much better movie than Shang Chi.

Leopold

This was really bad. I mean, the Eternals look and act weak, the threat doesn't really feel that threatening. This was a really bad movie. The guy who shoots stuff from his fingers...lmao.

Don't get the criticism about being a woke movie. It was ok. Lots of people are not white anyway.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is one of those things where I felt like it sounded a whole lot smarter in the person's head than it actually does on the page.

Because that kind of logic is......wow.

Last edited:
This is one of those things where I felt like it sounded a whole lot smarter in the person's head than it actually does on the page.

Because that kind of logic is......wow.
Not really. Why did they choose to go to different parts of the earth and take human in the 1500s? The movie looks like crap so I won’t watch it but did they give a reason for that? Or did they choose their appearance beforehand.

sol_bad

Not really. Why did they choose to go to different parts of the earth and take human in the 1500s? The movie looks like crap so I won’t watch it but did they give a reason for that? Or did they choose their appearance beforehand.

At the start of humanity, Ikaris and Sprite would have been a minority. Would you be happier if the white characters were completely removed?

*EDIT*
Watch the movie and you'll learn that the Eternals are created to blend in with whatever planet they go to.

Well, Eternals is not in the Top 10 and unlikely that it will get there. And I have said that Dune is a flop.

And you were saying?

pTx497d.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
"This movie is shit and dumb! BTW I haven't seen it and I don't plan to!!!"

wackaflocka.gif

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

They were going all around the world to destroy the Deviants. They were made, by the Celestials, to look human.

DRUIG took those people because he was fed up with wars... He was the only one to literally interfere with societal growth. And it's a sneaky reference to the disappearance of the Incas and the conquistadors of that time period.

And how about watch something to make up your own mind... You sound one of those people who get triggered every time he THINKS there's something"woke" or when someone who also didn't see it says something is "woke".

At the start of humanity, Ikaris and Sprite would have been a minority. Would you be happier if the white characters were completely removed?

*EDIT*
Watch the movie and you'll learn that the Eternals are created to blend in with whatever planet they go to.

And you were saying?

pTx497d.jpg
That Eternals is not in the top 10 and unlikely to get there. I think it won’t end the year in the top 10.

And no, I won’t watch it.

sol_bad

That Eternals is not in the top 10 and unlikely to get there. I think it won’t end the year in the top 10.

And no, I won’t watch it.

Are you talking about the top 10 box office for the year? Did you see my image? It's in the number 11 spot and after 1 more weekend it should jump to the 10th or 9th spot.

*EDIT*
Remove the 3 China exclusive movies and it's at #8.

Last edited:
They were going all around the world to destroy the Deviants. They were made, by the Celestials, to look human.

DRUIG took those people because he was fed up with wars... He was the only one to literally interfere with societal growth. And it's a sneaky reference to the disappearance of the Incas and the conquistadors of that time period.

And how about watch something to make up your own mind... You sound one of those people who get triggered every time he THINKS there's something"woke" or when someone who also didn't see it says something is "woke".
You’re telling me Disney isn’t woke? MCU movies are a tough watch for me - it is so generic and mediocre. It’s like watching a Transformers movie.

Konnor

Are you talking about the top 10 box office for the year? Did you see my image? It's in the number 11 spot and after 1 more weekend it should jump to the 10th or 9th spot.

*EDIT*
Remove the 3 China exclusive movies and it's at #8.

Also remove the movies that don't start with the letter E and it's number 1.

sol_bad

Also remove the movies that don't start with the letter E and it's number 1.

I think it''s pretty obvious why I'm suggesting to remove the 3 Chinese exclusive films. China is a market all it's own. Why include them if the rest of the world isn't involved.

Battle at Lake Changjin is nearly at a billion dollars, just in China alone.
Looks like it is getting a very limited release in Australia though, I might check it out.

Liamario

Banned
Watched this for the first time this evening. Very poor. Soulless, long and uninteresting. Not a single actor seemed to give a shit about what was going on.

trikster40

Watched it today. Was better than I expected, but I was expecting a 2.5/10 movie. Was a bit long in the tooth, and most of the Eternals just seemed like carbon copies of DC heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. Felt like I was watching Marvel’s attempt at a Justice League movie.

Not sure how everything is going to tie into the MCU as a whole unless they really go down the rabbit hole of Celestials and Arishem. Be interesting to see if any other movies mention the giant in the middle of the ocean or the appearance of Arishem in the end.

It’ll be the only Marvel movie I won’t own on disc unless it somehow becomes vital watching down the line.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Definitely not the worst MCU movie in my book. Probably falls into the half that I’d watch again in a marathon.

Some gorgeous visuals, funny moments, action wasn’t bad. It did drag in parts, but I also respect the film for allowing itself to take time instead of feeling like their focusing the whole thing around the next action scene, to keep the kids entertained.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

All the woke and anti-woke people have made finding honest opinions about media virtually impossible. If anyone's take on a movie mentions the term 'woke' or the sex, race, or sexuality of a person involved with the movie, externally to the movie itself, I just ignore what they have to say.

NahaNago

It was woke but also an okay-ish movie. A one and done deal. For the responses on the race thing. It doesn't make much sense. You arrive on a planet wouldn't you look like the first people you come across and not a multitude of races. Plus weren't people a lot shorter back in the day.

On the review of the movie. The more you think about the story, characters, and the powers it makes less sense. Most of these characters should have been numb to humanity after witnessing it for so long. The black guy's change of heart was the funniest since he seemed to love humanity after he got some tail( I refuse to believe it was from just taking care of some kid. Like after all this time you never raised a child.) The power they showed wasn't that impressive to be able to take on a celestial. I also thought the earth celestial was too small. I still wonder why they left the ship. Wouldn't you want to live inside the super advance spaceship instead of a house from an ancient civilization.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You’re telling me Disney isn’t woke? MCU movies are a tough watch for me - it is so generic and mediocre. It’s like watching a Transformers movie.

Bay's Transformer movies stopped being good after the first one. The 4th was a reboot and they all had the Gen 1 designs.

That said, most of the MCU movies don't fall into Bay territory. Each story is different even though the formula is the same. Doc Strange isn't the same as The First Avenger which isn't the same as Shang-Chi which isn't the same as Captain Marvel.

And you think having more diversity in front of and behind the camera is "woke"?

When that term was first coined, it meant something WAY different than what folks have morphed it into.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It was woke but also an okay-ish movie. A one and done deal. For the responses on the race thing. It doesn't make much sense. You arrive on a planet wouldn't you look like the first people you come across and not a multitude of races. Plus weren't people a lot shorter back in the day.

On the review of the movie. The more you think about the story, characters, and the powers it makes less sense. Most of these characters should have been numb to humanity after witnessing it for so long. The black guy's change of heart was the funniest since he seemed to love humanity after he got some tail( I refuse to believe it was from just taking care of some kid. Like after all this time you never raised a child.) The power they showed wasn't that impressive to be able to take on a celestial. I also thought the earth celestial was too small. I still wonder why they left the ship. Wouldn't you want to live inside the super advance spaceship instead of a house from an ancient civilization.

On the "race" thing... They fought Deviants ALL OVER THE WORLD... The Celestials made them to fit in globally. Not just the first civilization they came across. So yes, they'd all look different.

To your last question: Ajak told them to have lives of their own and explore what purpose they can have other than protection. You can't do that from The Domo (their ship) and they weren't being called to "go home" yet.

Phastos (the black guy) turned his back on humanity after the atomic bombings on Japan. But someone changed his mind... They got married and then adopted the boy. I gave up on love but someone changed my mind and I almost got married. I haven't gone back to giving up on love even after we broke up.

People can change their minds with a persuasive argument.

And the power they showed (mainly Sersi) was only possible with the Uni-Mind. She was immensely powerful enough to change Tiamut into stone.

The story makes sense (mostly) when you leave your biases at the door.

NahaNago

On the "race" thing... They fought Deviants ALL OVER THE WORLD... The Celestials made them to fit in globally. Not just the first civilization they came across. So yes, they'd all look different.

To your last question: Ajak told them to have lives of their own and explore what purpose they can have other than protection. You can't do that from The Domo (their ship) and they weren't being called to "go home" yet.

Phastos (the black guy) turned his back on humanity after the atomic bombings on Japan. But someone changed his mind... They got married and then adopted the boy. I gave up on love but someone changed my mind and I almost got married. I haven't gone back to giving up on love even after we broke up.

People can change their minds with a persuasive argument.

And the power they showed (mainly Sersi) was only possible with the Uni-Mind. She was immensely powerful enough to change Tiamut into stone.

The story makes sense (mostly) when you leave your biases at the door.
That doesn't really still change my response. They would have normally become the first race they encountered in order to fit in. Plus, they were all together in the beginning so you think they would have matched up races.

So Ajak told them to have their own lives. They were living still living in fairly ancient times when she said that. Why would you leave the ship with all of it's modern conveniences just to live with the natives.

Phastos has been witnessing humanity slaughter themselves and do all types of evils for hundreds or thousands of years. Again I just found his reason funny

I agree that people can change their minds with a persuasive argument. But shouldn't he have already heard or created every argument by now.

The problem I have with the Uni-mind is that let's say you combine all of their powers and they decided to attack without the uni-mind do they seem capable of destroying a being who destroys a world by just being born. They just didn't seem that powerful considering that most of them couldn't even kill those monsters in the past. They only had like 3 fighters in the group.

The story makes sense if you shut down your brain when you watch the movie. The race swapping is mostly fine and honestly could have been a fairly interesting thing to do if they had properly used it in that world but unfortunately it was fairly wasted except for with the Pakistani guy.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Just saw the movie.. what a poor performance of Salma and Angelina.. expected way more from them. None of the others are even memorable aside from the annoying cheesy dialog (what's up with weak ass superman wanna-be? )

The story is nice. it had potential just till about the end where they fucked It up.

6 out of 10 max.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Just watched it. I liked everything that had to do with Ashirem and the cosmic lore of the MCU. I thought Ikarus was a cool character but everyone else kind of sucked. The deviant helping Ikarus made no sense. It has that speech about how "we just wanted to survive". It would have made more sense if he had teamed up with the eternals after killing more of them and gaining sentience and learning about their plan to stop Ikarus. It's literally what he was fighting for.

I liked the Kringo character but everyone else felt like nobodies. Too many characters for its own good. Didn't care about kitt Harrington's character at all. He was there just to be introduced. Could have shaved a good 20 minutes without him and used that to make the eternals more of a character.

But yea I'm actually pretty stoked about the Ashirem continuity. Having celestials in the MCU is pretty sweet. Sersi was dumb though. Bitch turned him into marble. Make him something we could use like silicon. Damn idiot. Could have made it platinum or silicon or something useful

Last edited:

Blade2.0

That doesn't really still change my response. They would have normally become the first race they encountered in order to fit in. Plus, they were all together in the beginning so you think they would have matched up races.

So Ajak told them to have their own lives. They were living still living in fairly ancient times when she said that. Why would you leave the ship with all of it's modern conveniences just to live with the natives.

Phastos has been witnessing humanity slaughter themselves and do all types of evils for hundreds or thousands of years. Again I just found his reason funny

I agree that people can change their minds with a persuasive argument. But shouldn't he have already heard or created every argument by now.

The problem I have with the Uni-mind is that let's say you combine all of their powers and they decided to attack without the uni-mind do they seem capable of destroying a being who destroys a world by just being born. They just didn't seem that powerful considering that most of them couldn't even kill those monsters in the past. They only had like 3 fighters in the group.

The story makes sense if you shut down your brain when you watch the movie. The race swapping is mostly fine and honestly could have been a fairly interesting thing to do if they had properly used it in that world but unfortunately it was fairly wasted except for with the Pakistani guy.
You missed the part when they formed the uni-mind that tiamut himself was in it. She used his own power against him. Since he was just being born he wasn't able to control his powers like he should have been able to, thus got turned into marble.

sol_bad

<_______________________________<

C'mon guy.
The Celestials knew the Eternals would be on the planet for thousands of years and knew that eventually there would be multiple races on the planet. This isn't their first rodeo. Celestial's have probably been doing it for millennia.
Also, the story make sense when you keep your brain switched on.

NahaNago

<_______________________________<

C'mon guy.
The Celestials knew the Eternals would be on the planet for thousands of years and knew that eventually there would be multiple races on the planet. This isn't their first rodeo. Celestial's have probably been doing it for millennia.
Also, the story make sense when you keep your brain switched on.
and yet they allowed the newborn celestial to be killed even though they have been doing this for millenia. They created a multiracial group to protect a world that for thousands of years folks mainly only ever saw their own race.
You missed the part when they formed the uni-mind that tiamut himself was in it. She used his own power against him. Since he was just being born he wasn't able to control his powers like he should have been able to, thus got turned into marble.
I did forget about that. Did it explain why he was in the uni-mind? I at first thought Tiamut was suicidal.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I shared my thoughts in the OT movie thread, but to summarize: I found it to be a very average sci-fi movie, and the characters individually uninteresting. They work fine together but once separated they lose much of what makes them tick, what drives them. I'll add there was also a lot of inconsistencies in motivations and attitudes during the final act - they were saying and doing things that didn't jibe with what we just spent over an hour watching develop.

So not terrible, not great, and I don't see a reason why Marvel would want to revisit this outside of using the celestials as plot fodder for future films.

Well, I say / write that, but with a more Marvel-ish script and less auteur director, maybe several of these characters could pop up again and be fun. I think Zhao is a good director but her take on this genre just wasn't entirely for me.

Alx

They created a multiracial group to protect a world that for thousands of years folks mainly only ever saw their own race.
I don't think we should overthink stuff, but (SPOILER WARNING) the Eternals purpose isn't only to protect the world, but to make its civilization grow, and the current status of the planet/human population is supposed to be the state of maturity at which the Celestial can pop out. So there's no contradiction in having a group of different looking Eternals that will work on the earth population and end up with a situation that mirrors their own appearance. Either it evolved naturally that way but it was planned as "that's how you breed Celestials", or it may even be a consequence of the Eternal contribution (it's not the Eternal who looks like the people it's watching, it's the people who look like their Eternal).

Last edited:

Trunx81

Watched it yesterday as well. The “wokeness” was ok for me, but I can’t grasp the fact that the celestials would send someone without speech to earth. And who also knows that the sign form “time” is tipping on your wrist, hundreds of years before the first wristwatch.
The Thanos explanation was weak as well, considering that it delayed the whole birthing process.

Angelina was wasted in this. I really liked Gilgamesh.

CGI of that plane was rough as hell, but the end visuals with the monumental Eternal in marble reminded me of a (good) RPG.

Would rate 2/5. No rewatch needed.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't think we should overthink stuff, but (SPOILER WARNING) the Eternals purpose isn't only to protect the world, but to make its civilization grow, and the current status of the planet/human population is supposed to be the state of maturity at which the Celestial can pop out. So there's no contradiction in having a group of different looking Eternals that will work on the earth population and end up with a situation that mirrors their own appearance. Either it evolved naturally that way but it was planned as "that's how you breed Celestials", or it may even be a consequence of the Eternal contribution (it's not the Eternal who looks like the people it's watching, it's the people who look like their Eternal).

They arrived in 5000 BC. Africa, Asia and other continents were well populated already. So the Celestials knew which "races" were already there.

Plus they were on other planets where they had to fit in. They didn't always look human ... As Arishem explained

MastaKiiLA

Finally watched this. Oof! Worst MCU movie still goes to Incredible Hulk, for me, but this one was trying to hit bottom.
  • Too many fucking characters. This should've been a series. It would've given more time to flesh out some of the more interesting storylines, like Druig's time leading a cult, or Gilgamesh and Thena's time together, etc. I don't know everyone's names, and I hardly remember what they were all doing during the time skip.
  • The action scenes were not well-choreographed. Too many characters again, so even when they split the team up, the camera still spent a lot of time jumping around the battleground. On top of that, the only character whose moves had any weight to them was Gilgamesh. For everyone else, the moved lacked impact for me. The CG was good at best, and suffered from multiple janky sequences.
  • I didn't mind any of the individual stories, but they felt too rushed. Too many characters strikes again.
  • Not enough Celestials. Was there some bait and switch in the promotion of this film? I feel like I saw some promo material showing multiple celestials. I was expecting much much more of them than we got. That might be my own fault though.
This should've been a 8-10 episode series. Each character could get their own episode, and thus provide the depth that was needed for me to connect to this massive raft of characters during the already long runtime. When
Ajak
died, I legit asked my wife who they were talking about. She didn't know either. Had to wait to see who else was still alive before I realized which person it was. Why should I care about characters I can't even recognize, much less remember? This movie somehow managed to be too long, while still not being long enough.

The tame action would fit in fine if it was a series. The cumulative effect of having action sequences of this quality, each episode, would be nice. If it was a series, it would be the best MCU series so far, because I feel like the director and cast were all up for the task. This project had a massive amount of information to deliver to the viewer, just as an origin film alone. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This film was trying to swallow the whole thing in one go, and the end result underperforms pretty much in every respect, as a result.

sol_bad

The tame action would fit in fine if it was a series. The cumulative effect of having action sequences of this quality, each episode, would be nice. If it was a series, it would be the best MCU series so far, because I feel like the director and cast were all up for the task. This project had a massive amount of information to deliver to the viewer, just as an origin film alone. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This film was trying to swallow the whole thing in one go, and the end result underperforms pretty much in every respect, as a result.

If it was a series, you wouldn't get the same quality of CGI as in the film, hence the action scenes wouldn't be as good as what we get in the film.

I'm personally still unsure if you are meant to feel for these characters. I think you are just meant to enjoy the story and understand the characters motivations. Not every story asks you to care for it's characters.

Neolombax

Finally got to watch this and man, was it a boring ride. The characters were really uninteresting, the jokes not funny, and the action sequence was not exciting to watch at all. Was under the impression that the Eternals were powerful, almost like demi gods, but somehow they came off as pretty average and incompetent? CGI was pretty bad in this, especially that after credit scene. What a disappointment. Glad i didnt make an effort to watch this at the cinemas.

Amiga

Eternals just seemed like carbon copies of DC heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. Felt like I was watching Marvel’s attempt at a Justice League movie.

This is part of the original comic. Yes, they were used as deliberate templates.

Wait until Marvel introduce the Squadron Supreme.

If it was a series, you wouldn't get the same quality of CGI as in the film, hence the action scenes wouldn't be as good as what we get in the film.

I'm personally still unsure if you are meant to feel for these characters. I think you are just meant to enjoy the story and understand the characters motivations. Not every story asks you to care for it's characters.

the Eternals story needs a lot of time and space. if not in a TV series, they should have been slowly introduced in other Marvel movies. Problem is Marvel are trying to do to much for this phase. like setting up the multiverse to introduce the X-Men/FF and making a side-verse for Spider-Man. to many balls in one court.

So far Spider-Man and Loki were the best post-endgame stories because they were focused on a consistent thread. and this is why Dr.Strange:MoM is the next important movie.

Blade2.0

and yet they allowed the newborn celestial to be killed even though they have been doing this for millenia. They created a multiracial group to protect a world that for thousands of years folks mainly only ever saw their own race.

I did forget about that. Did it explain why he was in the uni-mind? I at first thought Tiamut was suicidal.
Eternals and celestials are linked during the emergence so that the eternals are strong enough to survive the destruction of the planet and be repurposed for new ones. This was the first time they had rogue eternals trying to take out the celestial being born.

Amiga

Multiverse doesn't have anything to do with those. They're casting the FF now and not using the old actors.

even if they are recast I would think they would be part of a separate universe. kind of weird to have theme hang around without a presence during everything. Richards is supposed to be smarter than Stark/Pym/Banner.

Top Bottom