• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Martha is dead to be censored/edited on PlayStation platforms, PC and Xbox unaffected.

GHound

From an italian interview

Luca Dalcò who confirms how the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 versions of Martha is Dead have undergone changes regarding two interactive sequences with Quick Time Event,which are now non-interactive cutscenes, also sexual references have been removed in the dialogues of a very specific scene with religious symbols in the background
Luca points out that there has been no fury against Martha is Dead by Sony, it is only "very small changes dictated by the policy of the platform"
Luca then talks about other limitations that the public often does not know, such as trademarks or specific references that cannot be used without prior authorization.
Between this and the IGN interview it's going to be real funny watching people either try to extract themselves from the narratives they've fashioned or continue to try to spin this into a positive.

Juras

The full list of scenes censored on PS4 and PS5 have been revealed.
Link (include video with untouched scenes)

The full list of changes is as follows:

• The face peeling scene is no longer interactive
  • The scene whereby Giulia cuts open Martha’s womb is no longer interactive
  • Option has been added to skip the censored scenes while they are playing
  • Disclaimer text at the start of the game has been updated. It is now more sensitive, clearer and includes the warning of miscarriage references
  • The Safe In Our World message which appears at the end providing a link where help can be found now also appears after the disclaimer at the start (all platforms)
  • Any mention of masturbation has been totally removed during The Church chapter as VO and text
The game will also add a prompt at the start of the game, asking players if they want a more censored version. This can also be toggled on or off in the in-game menu.

If players choose to censor the game further, the following additional changes are made:

• The face peeling scene is skipped. The scene returns when Giulia is holding Martha’s skin
  • The womb cutting scene is skipped
  • The direct miscarriage scene is skipped
  • Hanging scene is removed and the camera has a blur effect when focusing on the baby
Basically now it is on match* with Until Dawn level of gore. Scenes are in but not interactive.
Text/dialogues mentioned masturbation remowed.

*Just watched video in link and second scene, interactive or not, is beyond anything i seen in Until Dawn.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The full list of scenes censored on PS4 and PS5 have been revealed.
Link (include video with untouched scenes)

The full list of changes is as follows:

• The face peeling scene is no longer interactive
  • The scene whereby Giulia cuts open Martha’s womb is no longer interactive
  • Option has been added to skip the censored scenes while they are playing
  • Disclaimer text at the start of the game has been updated. It is now more sensitive, clearer and includes the warning of miscarriage references
  • The Safe In Our World message which appears at the end providing a link where help can be found now also appears after the disclaimer at the start (all platforms)
  • Any mention of masturbation has been totally removed during The Church chapter as VO and text
The game will also add a prompt at the start of the game, asking players if they want a more censored version. This can also be toggled on or off in the in-game menu.

If players choose to censor the game further, the following additional changes are made:

• The face peeling scene is skipped. The scene returns when Giulia is holding Martha’s skin
  • The womb cutting scene is skipped
  • The direct miscarriage scene is skipped
  • Hanging scene is removed and the camera has a blur effect when focusing on the baby
Basically now it is on match* with Until Dawn level of gore. Scenes are in but not interactive.
Text/dialogues mentioned masturbation remowed.

*Just watched video in link and second scene, interactive or not, is beyond anything i seen in Until Dawn.
Not interactive but still happens? Erm... OK Sony.
They should've just said because it's a piss filter when you wear the face.

The Fartist

Gold Member
9Kaz6dZ.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Reminder, all of this is still playable without censorship on Xbox and PC. Sony actively forced censorship that was unneeded and not required for ESRB ratings while releasing things that are *just* as bad without censorship.

Fuck you, Sony. Hypocritical cunts.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Ok, started the game,if it's that scene Is in the beggining of the game and Is not a "baby sister" Is
the twin sister and was a dream becouse when you find the dead sister and your parents run to see what happened you fake your identity...you pretend to be your sister because, in your opinion, she was the most beloved daughter

Stuart360

Started playing it last night, could only mange about 4 hours before i gave up. Its so god damn pretentious and full of itself.
You can tell the devs thought they were making some 'high art' game or something.
Slow, boring, and a waste of time.

nikolino840

Started playing it last night, could only mange about 4 hours before i gave up. Its so god damn pretentious and full of itself.
You can tell the devs thought they were making some 'high art' game or something.
Slow, boring, and a waste of time.
Have you played the Town of light by the same devs?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Ok, started the game,if it's that scene Is in the beggining of the game and Is not a "baby sister" Is
the twin sister and was a dream becouse when you find the dead sister and your parents run to see what happened you fake your identity...you pretend to be your sister because, in your opinion, she was the most beloved daughter
Nope. The scene you mean is about 4 hours in, and its not even that bad. It got the devs some nice publicity for their game though 'wink wink'

Stuart360

Played today,was in the Deluxe edition of Martha Is dead...yeah walking sim..but...i had goosbumps...not because of scary things but for the cruelty of the olds mental hospitals... (A real mental hospital here in Italy)
If you're Italian you may get some fun out of this game. Dont expect a horror game though, the game is nothing like that. More false advertizing by the devs on that.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Why are you console warring over this game?, the game really isnt worth it.
Oh, I'm console warring now? lol This whole thread is console warring 🙄 There are more pages in this thread than sales. Most of it from very specific posters. You know why. It was my first post in this thread btw.

Why did you even pick up this game?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Oh, I'm console warring now? lol This whole thread is console warring 🙄 There are more pages in this thread than sales. Most of it from very specific posters. You know why. It was my first post in this thread btw.

Why did you even pick up this game?
Are you one of those 'I only play AAA exclusives dawg!' guys?. This game has sold ok so far on Steam, and these kind of horror games can be popular in the AA and Indie scene, hense why we get so many of them (although this isnt a horror game AT ALL).
Just no need for the 'PC and Xbox gamers are only interested in this game because of console warring' nonsense.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Just no need for the 'PC and Xbox gamers are only interested in this game because of console warring' nonsense.
How do you explain the amount of posts in this thread then? Where is the OT and review threads with gameplay impressions? 99% of the posts were BEFORE it came out. There is barely 10 posts since release and you're the first one that played it.

You still going to pretend GAF really cared about this game?

Stuart360

How do you explain the amount of posts in this thread then? Where is the OT and review threads with gameplay impressions? 99% of the posts were BEFORE it came out. There is barely 10 posts since release and you're the first one that played it.

You still going to pretend GAF really cared about this game?
I havent even read the thread but i'm guessing people were talking about the censorship, and censorship as a whole, and this game was the latest game to have censorship.
I posted my impressions on the game because i had just played it and i saw this thread.

But thats beside the point, games like this might be below you but many do play this stuff, especially on PC.
Trust me, the devs will of been over the moon with the fact their game got censored as its created articles and people talking about their game.

GHound

Reminder lol nobody cares about this garbage game besides the PC/Xbox warriors. I'm glad you have something to play after Crossfirex tho.

Have fun cutting that womb! 🤣
Guilty as charged. Congratulations, you've seen through my clever disguise.

E8xBFkM.png

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So far in the Story of the game, it is too interesting, it has a more psychological approach, the scenes that Sony foolishly censors, are scenes with a purpose in the story.

I think the game is 100% focused on adults, should not have modification or censored scenes.

Well... The game reminds me of independent European art festival movies.

What I praise the most is the use of the camera of the time and how it is used very really, simplified for gameplay... although in my opinion, it should have a little more realism in operation.

I am very satisfied with the game... I still have to explore it more.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So far in the Story of the game, it is too interesting, it has a more psychological approach, the scenes that Sony foolishly censors, are scenes with a purpose in the story.

I think the game is 100% focused on adults, should not have modification or censored scenes.

Well... The game reminds me of independent European art festival movies.

What I praise the most is the use of the camera of the time and how it is used very really, simplified for gameplay... although in my opinion, it should have a little more realism in operation.

I am very satisfied with the game... I still have to explore it more.

I really enjoyed my time. It was disturbing, gross, it made me feel disgusted at many points, and it made me rethink a number of things in my life.

Hilarious that the console warriors in this thread are the same ones who were going to bat for certain other exclusives on Sony‘s side with „you aren‘t supposed to have fun! Its supposed to be dark and depressing!“ while shitting all over people wanting the same parity for this one. Except this game actually does that mindset *well*.

I really enjoyed my time. It was disturbing, gross, it made me feel disgusted at many points, and it made me rethink a number of things in my life.

Hilarious that the console warriors in this thread are the same ones who were going to bat for certain other exclusives on Sony‘s side with „you aren‘t supposed to have fun! Its supposed to be dark and depressing!“ while shitting all over people wanting the same parity for this one. Except this game actually does that mindset *well*.
I'll get it on sale. Glad you guys liked it.

Top Bottom